Start by marking “Clojure for the Brave and True” as Want to Read:
Clojure for the Brave and True

Clojure for the Brave and True

For weeks, months?—nay!—from the very moment you were born, you've felt it calling to you. At long last you'll be united with the programming language you've been longing for: Clojure!

As a Lisp-style functional programming language, Clojure lets you write robust and elegant code, and because it runs on the Java Virtual Machine, you can take advantage of the vast Java ecosy
Published (first published September 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Clojure for the Brave and True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clojure for the Brave and True

Start your review of Clojure for the Brave and True
Marcin
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-ebook
It's a very good book. An not only on the matter, but overall as a technical book it's really quite fun to read. It's well planned, has enough information to get you started but not too much detail to get you overwhelmed.
Maciej Smolinski
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I came across this book by accident while reading Clojure Distilled by Dmitri Sotnikov. It was one of the recommended resources in the article.

I caught myself reading the book chapter by chapter finding it a gold mine full of humour and very practical examples and exercises.

While getting to the end of a typical technical book is a struggle, Clojure for the Brave and True does not feel any way like that. Daniel Higginbotham introduces Clojure concepts one after another bit by bit and puts them in
Regis Hattori
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
It is the first Clojure material I read so it is difficult to evaluate it.
In general, I think it works as an introductory material and it has a good sense of humor so it is easy to read.

Maybe it is not a fault for an introductory material, but I missed more opinions about code design. For example, the Records, Multi Methods and Protocols seems much more like OOP than FP and I would like to know more deeply if this kind of discussion is common among the FP and Clojure enthusiasts.
Giovanni Martina
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great introductory book giving a complete overview of the clojure ecosystem from language fundamentals to build tools. The author's peculiar sense of humor might not be to everybody's liking but I found it a refreshing approach.
Hawari Rahman
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a great introductory book for Clojure. Contrary to some other reviews, in my experience, the humorous analogies presented in the book actually helps me to understand the topic better and they keep me engaged with the explanation narration, which usually can be tedious in a technical book.

However, this book suffers from "example first, explanation later" issues, not emphasizing on the why something has come to be but rather the practicality standpoint: "Clojure has these features and here's
Chris
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great intro to Clojure! I'm mixed on the humor and sort of storytelling style - sometimes I just skipped past or wasn't interested, but at the same time, it's nice to see something not so serious and adding a bit of fun to a programming book. Also, I enjoyed the order of topics, and the less deep coverage. This let me get up and going quickly, while covering a pretty large swath of the language. I got enough that I can then dig further into areas I'm interested in or need to, etc. at my own pace ...more
Tony Poerio
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first book on Clojure (or Lisp, in general). It's a solid introduction, and the Emacs tutorial was also very helpful with getting an environment setup -- something most other books leave as an exercise from the reader. (Though often a non-trivial one.)

My first time reading through, I started getting lost by the later chapters; but nothing beats getting hands on and doing some real programming exercises or projects. This book does provide exercises, but I found them a little tedious and start
John
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Update: I have read half of the book and now I can say that I like it more than I did in the beginning.

I think that whether you like this book or not depends on your what is your preferred style of programming books.. This book in my opinion tries more to be friendly and funny than to teach you stuff. It prioritizes more the fun part. This means that it tries to craft examples that are first and foremost funny than understandable.. This may end up in 40-50 lines of code to show you how loop wor
Aliaksandr
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book and learned a lot from it. It’s not only about Clojure but programming in general. Written in a simple language with fun examples. Author does a great job explaining complicated concepts using metaphors. Most chapters have exercises and working on them really helps to understand the material. Would recommend to anyone who wants to become a better programmer and broaden their horizons.
Kannan Ramamoorthy
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Though not a complete guide, good to get started with the Clojure basics. Some times you might feel the content is too much verbose, but that's fine. The exercises rare also good. If you're planning to start with Clojure, this is a good place to start and for further practice you can use (https://projecteuler.net)

The full book is available(legally) for free(https://www.braveclojure.com/clojure-...).
Brunno Santos
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is awesome! It will be hard to any other technical book make me laugh like that, the content is hilarious and immersive!
In this reading, I learned how to use Clojure and how to deal with Leiningen, core.async and a little bit of Java. If you want to start with Clojure, I think this is the most accurate indication.
Ward Muylaert
Useful book, but a bit too much silliness. The silliness can be mostly ignored, though at times it makes the examples harder to understand. Here-and-there it *did* work out though.

I have had Scheme in the past, so the basics were quickly gone through. I do not care for emacs so Chapter 2 was skipped. From Chapter 6 onwards, things got more interesting as it was newer territory (I avoided macros in Scheme, so Chapters 7 and 8 were also useful). I skipped the core.async chapter as it is not that u
Rafael
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to Clojure and Emacs. Pretty straightforward, with practical examples that are easy to follow. Even now that I have been writing Clojure for a couple of months, I still use the online version every now and again as a quick reference. Would recommend it to anyone interested in the language.
Yaroslav
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is the great book to learn clojure lang! I highly recommend this book if you would like to learn lisp like language and get a lot of fun to practice your programming skills using functional approach.
Zach
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice, straightforward overview of Clojure. I didn't love how silly the examples were, but I didn't really see it as a problem. Higginbotham does a great job explaining concepts like macros, which took me some work to understand.
Justin Smith
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series of books.
Philipp Fehre
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very nice and clear introduction to Clojure, touching on the topics Clojure is good for mainly concurrency and dealing with immutable data.
Leon
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not often do I laugh out loud while learning a programming language.
Aron Griffis
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unique, fun approach to teaching a new language. Walks the line between engaging and overboard, and mostly stays on the right side...
Marc
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
Great introduction to Clojure and functional programming in general.
Prashanth Iyer
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
The stories are a little annoying.
Valery Lavrentiev
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
If you are excited about Clojure, and you should be, read this - very clear explanation of core topics.
Chad Walstrom
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun read! Great coverage of the overall concepts in Clojure, with amusing examples and prose.
Ryan
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books on the philosophy of functional programming, even beyond clojure. One of the only programming books that's actually entertaining, and a page turner.
Václav Pavlíček
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! I think every programmer should read it.
Anna Flavia
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Changed my perception on functional programming and my logical thinking when solving problems. I wish I could have learned Haskell with the same reasoning this book uses.
Martin
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Top notch, one of the best intro to a language books I've read. It's simple, clean, informative, and most of all fun.
Edham Arief
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Final chapters clearly shows the power of Clojure's syntax in concurrent programming. A must read for fellow Lispers
Jon Borgonia
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
such a fun way to learn clojure!
Hamish Rickerby
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The humor isn't my sort of thing, but it's a good intro book nonetheless.

• The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby
  • Getting Clojure
  • The Little Schemer
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Programação Funcional: Uma introdução em Clojure
  • The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
  • Don't Go Back to School: A Handbook for Learning Anything
  • Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals (Phaedrus, #2)
  • How to Die:  An Ancient Guide to the End of Life
  • The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Daniel Higginbotham is a full-stack developer and writer living in Durham, North Carolina. He attended St. John's College.

News & Interviews

“As we all know, sock gnomes take a single sock from every clothes dryer around the world. They use these socks to incubate their young. In return for this “gift,” sock gnomes protect your home from El Chupacabra. If you haven’t been visited by El Chupacabra lately, you have sock gnomes to thank.” 1 likes
“You put your money in the machine, and out comes a hot dog, all without the Illuminati or Big Brother orchestrating the whole thing.” 0 likes