Start by marking “Clojure for the Brave and True” as Want to Read:
Clojure for the Brave and True

Clojure for the Brave and True

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  270 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
For weeks, months?—nay!—from the very moment you were born, you've felt it calling to you. At long last you'll be united with the programming language you've been longing for: Clojure!

As a Lisp-style functional programming language, Clojure lets you write robust and elegant code, and because it runs on the Java Virtual Machine, you can take advantage of the vast Java ecosy
Published (first published September 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Clojure for the Brave and True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clojure for the Brave and True

Chris
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great intro to Clojure! I'm mixed on the humor and sort of storytelling style - sometimes I just skipped past or wasn't interested, but at the same time, it's nice to see something not so serious and adding a bit of fun to a programming book. Also, I enjoyed the order of topics, and the less deep coverage. This let me get up and going quickly, while covering a pretty large swath of the language. I got enough that I can then dig further into areas I'm interested in or need to, etc. at my own pace ...more
Tony Poerio
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first book on Clojure (or Lisp, in general). It's a solid introduction, and the Emacs tutorial was also very helpful with getting an environment setup -- something most other books leave as an exercise from the reader. (Though often a non-trivial one.)

My first time reading through, I started getting lost by the later chapters; but nothing beats getting hands on and doing some real programming exercises or projects. This book does provide exercises, but I found them a little tedious and start
John
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clojure, functional, lisp
Update: I have read half of the book and now I can say that I like it more than I did in the beginning.

I think that whether you like this book or not depends on your what is your preferred style of programming books.. This book in my opinion tries more to be friendly and funny than to teach you stuff. It prioritizes more the fun part. This means that it tries to craft examples that are first and foremost funny than understandable.. This may end up in 40-50 lines of code to show you how loop wor
Rafael
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to Clojure and Emacs. Pretty straightforward, with practical examples that are easy to follow. Even now that I have been writing Clojure for a couple of months, I still use the online version every now and again as a quick reference. Would recommend it to anyone interested in the language.
Ward Muylaert
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: compsci, non-fiction
Useful book, but a bit too much silliness. The silliness can be mostly ignored, though at times it makes the examples harder to understand. Here-and-there it *did* work out though.

I have had Scheme in the past, so the basics were quickly gone through. I do not care for emacs so Chapter 2 was skipped. From Chapter 6 onwards, things got more interesting as it was newer territory (I avoided macros in Scheme, so Chapters 7 and 8 were also useful). I skipped the core.async chapter as it is not that u
Brunno Santos
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is awesome! It will be hard to any other technical book make me laugh like that, the content is hilarious and immersive!
In this reading, I learned how to use Clojure and how to deal with Leiningen, core.async and a little bit of Java. If you want to start with Clojure, I think this is the most accurate indication.
Yaroslav
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is the great book to learn clojure lang! I highly recommend this book if you would like to learn lisp like language and get a lot of fun to practice your programming skills using functional approach.
Justin Smith
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series of books.
Marc
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
Great introduction to Clojure and functional programming in general.
Philipp Fehre
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very nice and clear introduction to Clojure, touching on the topics Clojure is good for mainly concurrency and dealing with immutable data.
Leon
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not often do I laugh out loud while learning a programming language.
Aron Griffis
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unique, fun approach to teaching a new language. Walks the line between engaging and overboard, and mostly stays on the right side...
Hamish Rickerby
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The humor isn't my sort of thing, but it's a good intro book nonetheless.
Mark Seemann
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
Gives a good introduction to the Clojure programming language, assuming that you know nothing about it in advance.

I consumed this book by following along and typing in everything, including setting up Emacs on my Windows 10 system. While the book assumes that you're running on Linux or Mac, I found that once I was over the hurdle of getting Emacs working with Clojure on Windows, most things worked without further trouble.

The tone of the book is lighthearted, with lots of silliness thrown into th
Michael Dubakov
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
OK Clojure intro book if you can tolerate awful humor.
Maciej Sitko
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
The book was ok-ish.

Examples range from a rather very complex to blatant ones. Some topics covered I feel like they shouldn't be included into the book, for example, the whole chapter on learning Emacs is a bit unnecessary.

Topics covered could have been more structured and well-thought of, especially in terms of chapter composition (material covered) and complexity entropy.

There is also a wide variety of lesser importance information without going too close to the metal.

If you're looking for so
Steven
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of the best introductions to Clojure available (disclaimer: I've only read part of The Joy of Clojure and this). It is a fun read and it has very good explanations for some difficult concepts. The analogies are sometimes a little silly, but that is part of the charm of the book. I would not recommend it to someone that has not done any programming before, but it is at a good level for people that have not done any functional programming. It is also written to be useful for so ...more
Anton Kaliaev
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book:
- covers all the basics
- free (online)
- well structured

Liked: author's opinions on OOP vs functional programming, mutation vs creating multiple versions (history)

Didn't like: chapter 9 The Sacred Art of Concurrent and Parallel Programming (The Three Goblins) - the challenges, which arise from concurrent programming could be expressed more clearly (and there are more of them than 3)

Overall: 4.5
Rory Armstrong
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic introductionary book to clojure.
No requirement to know Java as it introduces the lanuage as a standalone (although the second last chapter briefly goes over using java libraries).
Recommended to anyone wanting to learn a lisp based lanuage, or even functional programming. There is an initial learning curve with clojure, but you'll get an 'A-ha!' moment about half way through this book and understand why it's an important lanuage.
Denis
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Читаю именно книгу, переиздание веб-версии.
Читаю, потому что книга будет издана в августе 2015, и на сегодняшний день было опубликовано только несколько первых глав.

Но уже то, что есть довольно интересно. Рассматриваются основные моменты языка, абстракции. Сопоставление с другими языками программирования. Жду продолжения!
Vathy M. Kamulete
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
New to Clojure? Start here. For what should be a technical -- read dry -- book, the author's sense of humor and penchant for teaching by examples/mini-projects make it both entertaining and illuminating... Yes, it's available online for free. But frankly buy it if you can.
Luke
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A solid introduction to Clojure written in an easily digestible style. As someone who already groks FP/lisp style, but not Clojure, I got quite a lot out of the book especially considering it's a WIP.
Zorp
Nov 04, 2016 added it
By far the most enjoyable book on a programming language I've ever read. Strikes a good balance between philosophy of Clojure and its utility. Strife with useful examples and colorful language. Made me sound smart when I had to do a presentation on the language.
Camille
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-hold
OK, I'm starting to read this book in earnest now. I read some of it online and within a few pages knew I wanted to just buy it. I've had many stops and starts with programming but because of this fantastic book, I strongly believe I will one day be a competent coder. Thank you, Daniel!
Kiran Gangadharan
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating is for the web version. My only gripe was that the exercises weren't challenging enough.
Stepan Kuzmin
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Awesome introduction into Clojure, totally worth reading!
Mukesh
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you want to get into clojure, look no further. This book gives a very good introduction to clojure and the ideas behind the language.

Totally worth it.
Soumendra
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great overview of Clojure as a programming language. And the writing style is awesome ...
József György Orosz
Jul 28, 2018
⊥
rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2016
  • Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common LISP
  • Ruby on Rails Tutorial: Learn Web Development with Rails (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Clojure Programming
  • The Quick Python Book
  • Functional Programming for the Object-Oriented Programmer
  • Professional Wordpress Plugin Development
  • Scala for the Impatient
  • Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices for Django 1.6
  • Interactive Data Visualization for the Web
  • On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp
  • Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners
  • Practical Common LISP
  • How to Design Programs: An Introduction to Programming and Computing
  • Programming Challenges: The Programming Contest Training Manual
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • The Scheme Programming Language
  • Clojure In Action
  • The Art of the Metaobject Protocol

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Daniel Higginbotham is a full-stack developer and writer living in Durham, North Carolina. He attended St. John's College.
More about Daniel Higginbotham

• Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • I'd Rather Be Reading: A Library of Art for Book Lovers
    $9.99 $1.99
“As we all know, sock gnomes take a single sock from every clothes dryer around the world. They use these socks to incubate their young. In return for this “gift,” sock gnomes protect your home from El Chupacabra. If you haven’t been visited by El Chupacabra lately, you have sock gnomes to thank.” 1 likes
“You put your money in the machine, and out comes a hot dog, all without the Illuminati or Big Brother orchestrating the whole thing.” 0 likes