Start by marking “Trollhunters” as Want to Read:

(Trollhunters #1)

"You are food. Those muscles you flex to walk, lift, and talk? They're patties of meat topped with chewy tendon. That skin you've paid so much attention to in mirrors? It's delicious to the right tongues, a casserole of succulent tissue. And those bones that give you the strength to make your way in the world? They rattle between teeth as the marrow is sucked down slobberi ...more
Published July 7th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion (first published June 30th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Trollhunters, please sign up.

Sam
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After watching the Netflix series and becoming somewhat obsessed, I grabbed this book at the earliest opportunity. It didn't disappoint.

WARNING: Do NOT read this book if all you want is the Trollhunters Netflix series in book form. Because the differences are enormous, albeit well-reasoned on del Toro's part. They are two different beasts that share a common blood.

Reading Trollhunters is like taking a decadent, sobering trip into the 9th circle of Dante's Inferno. It's dark. It's gritty. The tro
Bonnie
“It’s a terrible thing, isn’t it? To be dragged under?”

In San Bernadino in the late 1960s, almost 200 hundred children went missing in what became known as The Milk Carton Epidemic. Children weren’t allowed on the streets past sunset, but on the day of Jack Sturges birthday, he and his little brother Jim were having too much fun on their bicycles to notice the sun was slowly making its exit. When Jack raced ahead towards the Holland Transit Bridge, Jim quickly lost sight of him. From the shado
Sean Smart
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written for a YA audience by the incredibly talented Guillermo del Toro this was an interesting fantasy adventure which I felt took a while to get going but was original and interesting.
Tony DiTerlizzi
Guillermo’s grimy world is perfectly paired with Kraus’ gruesome text making for a fantastic adventure in an underground kingdom that’s just as dangerous as the trials and tribulations of middle school. I’m never looking underneath my bed again.
Jeff Raymond
Closer to a 2.5.

I enjoy Guillermo Del Toro. I thought the first bits of The Strain were solid, I've enjoyed many of his movies, and so a foray into children's books really seemed like it should have been down my alley. Why, then, didn't this work for me?

The idea behind the story is a kid who is dragged into a multigenerational conflict regarding underground trolls and prophecies and such. The kid is quickly trained to be part of the war and start working to end the conflict.

this book is tough be
Melinda Borie
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Despite a promising beginning and a premise that seemed fun, this book failed to deliver. It might just not be for me, but I found it dull and frustrating. The strong narrative voice of this novel feels like it belongs on a reddit thread, and the character development is similarly oddly-shaped. Plot beats that might work in a film just fail to charm on the page. I've got to agree with other reviewers: this one is a bust.
Wendy F
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Trollhunters is being classified as a YA read, but I think I would recommend this book more toward the Middle Grade age children, 10-15, whichTrollhuntersIll01 makes sense as that’s the age range of the characters in the story. The co-author’s did a spectacular job of not talking down to their target audience, while also not writing a story that spoke over young teen heads. The pacing was action packed, and humorous. In fact, if I were going to critique the flow at all, I could say that the writ ...more
Lisa Tobleman
Guillermo del Toro, Daniel Kraus
Disney Book Group Pub Date: Jul 14 2015

I received this as an eGalley through Netgalley free in exchange for an honest review.

What a perfect, creepy, gory, wonderful book for middle-schoolers. Especially middle-school boys. I was a little leery when I saw Guillermo del Toro' name as one of the authors since his movies are by no means kid friendly. However, He and Mr, Kraus did a fantastic job of blending in just enough horror to make Goosebumps proud,
Hafsa Sabira
What can I say... as much as I loved the beginning and the ending, I couldn't really enjoy the middle part much. I don't know how but I found all the description a bit too gore for me. I like the characters but not the monsters (that's probably intentional on the writers' part) because of their really weird physique and habits. Also, they eat human children. Not cool!

To be honest, I am already feeling like I am writing one of my worst reviews so far but that's probably the reflection of what I
Pamela
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of story I enjoyed reading as a kid. Though there is some slightly gory things (trolls being what they are), I think a middle school kid can handle it. It may not be Halloween or October, but this is a summer dark fantasy read not only teenagers and middle schools kids will enjoy, but adults too. Just be sure to check beneath your bed or couch before you do.

Read the rest of the review at http://www.ismellsheep.com/2015/07/bo...
Arkham Reviews
As a huge fan of Del Toro, I was really excited to read this book. Unfortunately, I found it to be a mixed bag.

Firstly, I really love the amount of imagination that went into the troll designs. Each species is described to the tiniest detail and is utterly unique. The scene set in the Troll Market was my absolute favourite as it reminded me of the similar part of 'Hellboy II' and really was a delight to read - so full of interesting sights and indicators of troll habits.

However, there was just s
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {and so on}
Tub was right. Under beds, that's where the monsters live.

Jim Sturges is a short, scrawny fifteen-year-old who's never been any good in school, any good at sports or any good at.... Well, anything.
To top off the fact he's kind of a loser, Jim's dad, Jim Sr., is uber-protective, mostly due to the disappearance of his older brother when he was a little boy. Because of this deep-rooted paranoia, Jim's father puts ten locks on their front door, metal shutters on their windows, and calls the local
Sandra Guerfi
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teens
What if all the folklore from around the world detailing the various sorts of trolls were a litany of species and their characteristics, one handed down to remind us of times when what bumped in the night found us to be tasty treats. Once upon a time is no longer for stories, it is the beginning of a tale of a beast who is intent on revenge against the humans and trolls who defeated him in battle. He has been waiting, gathering his strength, chewing his tongue while waiting for the day that ever ...more
Brandon Forsyth
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this so much more than I did. There's a couple of great horror beats in here, with some particularly visceral gross-out moments, but it's a pale imitation of Percy Jackson that reads like the first draft of the (hopefully) better film. I love you, Guillermo, but not this much.
Colona Public Library
This book is really witty, reads well, has some great illustrations, and is really imaginative. My partner and I read this one out loud (pretty challenging on Blinky's lines, his vocabulary is immense) It was really enjoyable, the level of detail and the smooth writing made it an enjoyable read.

The 1st chapter got me hooked, I think the very beginning of this book would be excellent to read around the camp fire...then be pleasantly surprised on the adventure to come! Great read, I would totally
Ida
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Gooey and yucky and at the same time cute, scary sweet and funny. Definitely readable but there's something lacking which makes it 4 stars and not 5.

I think it's a book that will get lots of 12-15 years old boys into reading. My 10 years old son told me that it's a series on Netflix as well and he seemed really curious about the book. And that coming from a child who still prefers children's picture books is huge.
Linda
The storytelling alternated between intense horror, adrenaline rushes, humor and YA growing pains.

“It’s a terrible thing, isn’t it? To be dragged under?”

TROLLHUNTERS co-authored by Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus is a YA horror novel with a targeted audience of middle-grades and up. I wanted to love this; I did like it. Oh my! If I were a young adult still, I would have inhaled this quick-paced, campy read while safely ensconced under my covers. Honestly, I used to have terrible nightma
Sue Smith
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, if this book doesn't leave your YA readers with squelchy stomachs, I don't know what will. Then again - today's YA readers are probably exposed to more guts and gore than my kids ever were, so they probably wouldn't bat an eye. I - on the other hand - did.

I really should have expected it - with Guillermo Del Toro as equal billing for this wee tome, it shouldn't have been a surprise at all. But, I think I expected the gore to be toned down a notch or two for the sake of the YA audience. It
Rabiah
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Originally posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2...

It is unfortunate that I haven’t seen anything by Guillermo del Toro (yet). When I got the opportunity to read Trollhunters, co-authored by the famous filmmaker, I immediately took the chance. I’ve seen bits and pieces of Pan’s Labyrinth and have endlessly drooled over the cinematography and set for Crimson Peak but this really sets what I can expect from his films: dark and magical stories. All, of course, with a touch of creepy.

This
Zephyr
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Written for younger audiences, though I enjoyed it.
This is a hit-or-miss kind of book. I can understand not liking it, though I found it interesting.
Chrissy
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
A very fast paced and funny novel mixed with myth and lots of action. I truly liked that the author had a good background on the variety of trolls in this book and the way that he incorporated their legend into this book. The character development was done at a decent pace. This is really a fun book to sit down and enjoy for an afternoon.
Hessa Issa
Very beautifully and graphically written but pacing was slow for a YA novel and the ending wasn't as satisfying as the build up to it.
Douglas Cootey
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, but I liked the TV series better. The Netflix show is definitely more kid friendly, and although it has rearranged the story with added quests and characters, which may offend fans of the book, it also has more charm, less darkness, much more hope, and a tighter narrative, which is what appealed to me.

Now that I've got that out of the way, let's get on with the book review. This is a dark tale about San Bernardino, California when dozens of children went missing in 1969
I'mogén
Actual rating: 3.5/5

This was a fun troll hunting adventure story that showcased some emotional family scenes and friendships that seem unlikely! I enjoyed this novel but sadly, not as much as I expected to.
I think one of the main reasons was that we were reading from a kids's perspective but the voice felt.... off. The vibe didn't feel like a child talking and I still stand by that because Jim, our main character, was coming out with some florally vocabulary that a 15 year old wouldn't typicall
Hazel West
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the Netflix/Dreamwoks series, so I decided to read the book, and I enjoyed it well enough. I think I actually have to say that in this case I liked the TV series better, just because I felt like we got to know the characters better and there were more interesting villains who actually played more of a part in the story. The book by itself was good, but I did feel it was a bit lacking in the storyline, and I probably would have felt the same way even without having watched the sh ...more
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book for two reason, I love Guillermo Del Toro and I love the Netflix cartoon..

With that said, THIS VERY DIFFERENT THAN THE CARTOON.

The story is great! All about a young boy coming to accept and understand his destiny.

Trollhunters is what I expect from Del Toro, dark, creepy, and tragically beautiful! This is not a story I would recommend for elementary age children or less mature young teens as it deals with heavy concepts in graphic detail: Death, loss, murder, destiny vs. cho
Paul Warloski
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Huge fun!! Who would believe that there's a world of trolls and creatures living below us in a fragile balance. Once the balance is upended, though, the evil breaks out!

I love the stories of the awkward, not confident kids with sketchy homes that emerge as the heroes because they find that which was always just under the surface of their skin.
Rea K
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up on a whim and it was pretty decent. I mean, I wanted to stay up until I finished it, but I knew I would be dead at work if i did. which is either a sign that this wasn't super at grabbing my attention and holding it, or I just decided to be responsible for once.
Jeremy Whetzel
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different from the Netflix series. Much more mature, but still probably falls into young adult fiction. Another masterpiece from Guillermo Del Toro and Daniel Kraus!
James
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book through a Goodreads give away, so firstly I'd like to say thank you to Hot Key Books for my copy of this!

Being a fan of Guillermo Del Toro's film credits, particularly 'Pan's Labyrinth' which is stunning, and the two Hellboy films. When I heard that this book was coming out I knew I had to get my hands on a copy! I was really intrigued to see how his unique visual style would translate into book form (I haven't got round to reading the 'The Strain'
Goodreads Librari...: Audiobook cover needed 3 14 Jan 01, 2017 04:11PM

• The Stone of Valhalla
  • The Last Enchanter  (Celestine Chronicles #2)
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
  • Box 1571
  • The Dragon Lantern (The League of Seven, #2)
  • Warrior Poet: Before David Was King
  • The Glass Gauntlet
  • Ennara and the Book of Shadows (Ennara, #2)
  • Dragon Defender (Dragon Defense League, #1)
  • Precious Bones
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • The Curse of the Thrax (Bloodsword Trilogy, Book 1)
  • Dragon Fire
  • If A Dragon Cries (The Legend of Hooper's Dragons Book 1)
  • You Can Fly: The Tuskegee Airmen
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • The Kingdom of the Sun and Moon
  • Faery Swap
DANIEL KRAUS has landed on Entertainment Weekly's Top 10 Books of 2015 (The Death and Life of Zebulon Finch), won two Odyssey Awards (for both Rotters and Scowler), and has been a Library Guild selection, YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults, Parent’s Choice Gold Award winner, Bram Stoker finalist, and more.

He co-authored Trollhunters with filmmaker Guillermo del Toro, and his work has been transl
“Trolls have existed on this planet for as long as humans. This is what I was told and what I translated to Tub. The first mention of them in recorded history is from ninth-century Norway, when the nefarious creatures began showing up in song, verse, and bedtime stories to keep misbehaving children in line. According to Norse folklore, trolls are one of the Dark Beings, the purest embodiments of evil, and they scurried from between the toes of Ymir, the mythic six-headed Frost Giant whose murdered body became the universe in which we live; his bones became the mountains, his teeth boulders, and so forth.” 3 likes
“Is it...can we...is it safe?"
Tub checked the lot but he seemed unconcerned.
"Coach Lawrence nabbed him for practice. We live to fight another day, soldier."
"No...I mean, the thing...is it...?"
Tub frowned.
"The thing. Hmmm. Can you be more specific?
I clutched at the bumper and raised myself to unsteady feet. I patted the truck bed, taking solace in the cake of dust. It was real; I was not caught in a nightmare. I smeared the dust with my fingers and smelled it.
"If you lick that, we're no longer friends," Tub said.”
2 likes