Start by marking “Reveal (Cryptid Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Reveal (Cryptid Tales, #1)

Reveal (Cryptid Tales #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  1,130 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
Shay could be the key to ending a war that humans don't know exist. Of a race of beings that aren't real, or are they?

Shay Tafford's childhood has been fatherless, filled instead with memories of speaking to the dead. She is forced to hide her unique ability from those living around her. That's why it's been comforting to have Jeremy, a child ghost, as her confidante. But
Published November 9th 2013 by Laurelis Press (first published December 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Reveal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reveal

Kelly
Apr 15, 2013 Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The romance isn't developed enough to qualify this as a romance novel. The research on the basic scientific principles is nonexistent.
Finally If you plan on introducing an arch enemy halfway through the book give us some meat to work with. I neither hated nor feared the bad guy when the conclusion of the story came.

I really don't think that this should be classified as a basic YA or at the least should be for a mature YA audience.

While the characters fit into the YA genre well enough I found the
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
I did enjoy this, but it was a pretty average YA PNR and it fit easily around the standard formula: she's always been speshul and OMG he's so fit and INSTA LOVE and then save the day cause together they're EXTRA speshul but oh wait this is a series so maybe the bad guy will come back.

That being said, sometimes you need a predictable read, something you know which is going to do its job. Reveal was entertaining and it did have it's standout points. The whole Cryptid idea was a pretty original tak
Aeicha
YOU CAN READ THE ORIGINAL AND COMPLETE REVIEW AT WORD SPELUNKING

Brina Courtney’s REVEAL offers an intriguing and smart blend of sci-fi, the paranormal, and romance. As a debut novel, it is quite impressive.

MY BRIEF SUMMARY
High school senior Shay can see, hear, and speak to ghosts. A secret she has revealed to no one. But ghosts aren’t the only thing that haunts her. Her father’s mysterious and sudden disappearance years earlier has left her with big questions. After meeting Mr. Tall, Dark , and
Claire
Aug 14, 2012 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, ya, r2r, paranormal
Holy cliffhanger!

Reveal was really easy to get into, and I didn't really want to put it down. It's about a high-school senior, who can speak with the dead. She meets her beau, a college student, who has his own powers, and answers to her questions about who she is and where she comes from. From conversing with the dead, shape-shifting, telepathy, and battling evil, there was lots to enjoy.

Alicia Huxtable
Dec 13, 2014 Alicia Huxtable rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cryptids.........

Well now I guess Cryptids is this author's name for shapeshifters........But they seem to be so much more than just that. And now Shay and Hugh need to really stick together.
Well written with great characters
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Reveal is the first in Brina Courtney's Cryptid Tales series and tells about a person who has animal genes mixed with human genes, and have animal-like traits as a result. Shay, the main character of the book, has the ability to speak to ghosts ever since she was little and it reminds me much of Angel Lawson's Wraith trilogy. As much as a human with animal genes and traits seem interesting, the execution was poor.

There doesn't seem to be a plot. I don't typically buy – actually, this was free on
Carrie (Book Fairy) Fort
Review is for all 3 books

#1 "If I had only known then, what I know now, I never would have let him go."

"He loves you Shay, just admit to yourself and embrace it. Embrace who you are."

"We're connected he and I and, we're in this whole mess together."

#2 “Which scares the hell out of me. How did I end up in a war? I’m only eighteen years old for goodness sakes!”

“Tonight we fight for our freedom. For who we are and for what is our birthright.”

“You don’t have much of a choice. Time to own up.”

#3 “Sh
Shesaidbooks
Dec 15, 2011 Shesaidbooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as an ARC from the author

Loved it- 4.5 / 5 stars (only because the ending angered me... I wanted more.)I LOVED this book. If you read my first post, you know that I look for many things in a fantastic book, and this book had all 5 of those components. It's the perfect blend of paranormal thriller, and romantic suspense, without being tacky or cheesy.

If you are interested in a great storyline, relatable and lovable characters, appropriate and modern language, and edgy, on- the- e
Alexia Purdy
What an intriguing concept for a paranormal series! I’ve yet to read about Cryptids, so this sounded like a different kind of paranormal for me. I loved it! It follows a teen named Shay who is trying to graduate from high school and leads a pretty normal life. Or is it? Besides the fact she can see and hear ghosts, it’s pretty ordinary, right? At least until she meets Hugh, a hunky beefcake who studies at the local college where Shay’s mom works. She feels funny around him, and loves the fact th ...more
Kelly
Ghosts, a missing dad, random psychic powers... YES! I read the short story prequel to this book recently and LOVED the world. So, I picked up Reveal and jumped straight in.

Where to begin? Shay is a girl who has found a way to hide a very big part of herself from everyone she holds dear. The one person who did know her secret - the ghost Jeremy - was accidentally banished by Shay's careless words. So when she finds another someone with the ability to hear ghosts, of course she's drawn to him. N
Raven
Jan 23, 2012 Raven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and fun- another fast and easy read. The focus remained on a few key characters without throwing in unnecessary detail- straight and to the point. However, that is why I am giving four stars and not five. I feel that some of the explanations given to Shay about who/what she is and how she became that way were rushed and thrown together. I had to re-read a few paragraphs to grasp those particular points in the story to an otherwise self-explanitory book. I also feel Shay's reactions w ...more
Angela ReadingCave
I liked it. I enjoyed the new concept of "cryptids". A "cryptid" part human, part animal; some of whom have special powers. I was grateful that there were no werewolves in the book regardless of the animal/human gene. I was very happy that there was not a love triangle.

There were parts of it that I tended to roll my eyes at- the instantly in love with him part, the being okay with him taking her out of the state part (without telling her) and the parental figure not freaking out about any of th
Kate's Reads
Dec 19, 2011 Kate's Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brina Courtney's debut novel Reveal (Cryptid Tales) is a wonderful YA read that will appeal to a larger audience.

The story is about Shay, a high school senior, who has the ability to see, hear and talk to ghosts. She feels very much alone as a result of this ability. Jeremy, a ghost, has been with her since her father disappeared/died many years ago. In recent months, Jeremy has been absent and Shay is not sure why.

Enter Hugh, who is a 'cryptid', which is to say - part human, part animal. They h
Raine Thomas
Nov 16, 2011 Raine Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began my journey with Ms. Courtney's work through her short story, IGNITE, which I truly enjoyed. That story gave me a brief introduction to Jeremy, a character in REVEAL. I found it enlightening, and a fair sampling of what to expect in this book.

REVEAL was a great read. It follows the perspective of Shay, a teenage girl who we find out is something more than human. She can see and hear ghosts, a trait that belongs to a type of being called a Cryptid. Her connection to Jeremy, the character i
Wendy Cantu
Apr 02, 2012 Wendy Cantu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
Three-Sentence Synopsis:
Shay can talk to dead people, including a 70-year-old ghost of a boy who died in an orphanage fire. She meets Hugh and discovers that he has special powers of his own. Hugh “kidnaps” her and heads to Texas to teach her the truth about who she is.

Things I loved:
Hmm, not much I’d say I loved.

Things I liked:
The plot line took an interesting turn that I hadn’t seen in other books of this genre. It kept me curious to learn more about Shay and where her powers came from.

Thin
Beth Lehman
Jul 11, 2012 Beth Lehman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brina captured me with sentence one of this amazing story. She has taken the context of a paranormal YA romance and through the relatability of Shay, Hugh and Jeremy, has created s a heartbreaking humanity to a world made of fantastical beings and possibilities. Shay's world based on pain and loss, yet you never feel the absence of hope. I cannot voice enough how engaging Brina's writing and story was. I read ravenously and this book was quickly consumed because of it's unique story line and the ...more
Amy (Following the Reader)
3.5 Stars. Great first book in a new series! Check out the full review at my blog: Following The Reader

Reveal follows the story of Shay, a high school student that has been through a lot. Her Father went missing when she was a young girl and ever since that night, life hasn't been the same. Shay was close to her Dad and to this day, they don't know what happened to him. Since that night, Shay has been able to communicate with ghosts. Specifically a boy named Jeremy, who we were first introduced
Fabianne
May 17, 2012 Fabianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved the premise but there wasn't any relationship or plot development, but that is just my opnion. This story had a great potential, but it should be re-written. The adversities were too simple and silly, the fight against the villain too immature. Romance had a great potential, they could be a couple who peaple could've loved and remembered but, there wasn't ANY ( and by 'any' I mean 'nada', 'niente', 'nothing at all') development, I wouldn't even consider they friends. I'm sad, such a beau ...more
Melanie Adkins
Dec 21, 2011 Melanie Adkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From age 6, Shay Tafford knows she's different. Not many kids have ghost
children as friends. None of Shay's friends have the sleek, natural black hair
she has. Then she meets Hugh and learns she's more different than even she thought.
He shows her how to embrace the differences. Life does change from that moment
on.
If you are looking for a YA book that will grab you and pull you in -REVEAl
is it. This book starts out hot and gets hotter (the story starts well and gets better)
You are missing a wonde
Rya/Jenny
Aug 13, 2012 Rya/Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2-review
Note - I received this book from the author for free in exchange for an honest review.

A missing father, a ghostly friend, and an ancient prophecy. These add up to one good story. Shay and Hugh know they are destined to fulfill the prophecy, but will they succeed?

The story is a little slow at points, but is well written and enjoyable. I do wish there had been more development with the relationship, instead of 'bam'.

Also, curse you cliffhanger!
Tassha
Aug 10, 2012 Tassha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was better than I thought it would be. I like the fact that the author didn't go into all these details about houses or material things. I hate it when authors do that, Stephen King is bad for that in his books. I thought this book was well written and it had me hooked to where I didn't want to go to bed cause I wanted to know what would happen next. I'm hoping to buy the 2nd book to this, I would like to know a little more about the man in the black coat.
Beth
I don't know how I managed to read 11 chapters before finally giving up. The plot doesn't seem to move, heck, I'm not sure what the plot is supposed to be about. What did it for me was all the grammatical errors that kept popping up. I can look past one or two mistypes but this was too much to ignore. She had incomplete sentences ("And note I need a shower.") to run on sentences that begged for commas. Maybe this bothered me because I'm a writer.
Hannah
Oct 16, 2016 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won't say that this was a great read but it wasn't a bad one either. Shay has always known she was different. She can see ghosts. She then meets Hugh who can too. They find out that they both are part of a prophecy. The ending just left you hanging so yes I care enough to want to move on in the story.
JENNIFER
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! This is a fast paced but not too fast story. It's easy to fall in love with. I love all the characters. There is drama, action, mystery, secrets, laughs, super cutesy moment. I love this story and will definitely be reading the next installments. I am hooked, lined and sinker.
Charlotte

Shay a seemingly ordinary girl - other than her best friend being a ghost. I really loved this book it didn't turn out how I had expected it would. I found myself enthralled by Shay's character before the end of the first chapter!
Northern Belle Bookworm
Shay is the main character who she's and hear ghosts but she wasn't always like this she didn't get this gift until her dad disappeared when she was 6. now she's 18 and life is about to get more complicated than ever! can not wait for the second one!
April Alvey
Aug 15, 2012 April Alvey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow I Am So Blown Away By This Book I Loved It. Missing Dad, Strange Things Going On, Cool Friend To Help Her. Its Was So Good A Real Cliffhanger. This Is A Must Read Its A Great Ghost Story. Sorry I Know Its A Small Review But Its SO Good Im Afraid I Will Spoil It For You. A Must Read.
Melissa
Feb 20, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story. It was a different type of paranormal romance book compared to what I usually read and I'm also a very mature adult and don't always read YA series. However, I really enjoyed this and am about to start the second book when I really should be sleeping!
Patti
Jan 15, 2013 Patti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an e book. Really got into it. By the time the story ended, I was ready for much more!
Brandi Matherly
Dec 06, 2012 Brandi Matherly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! Fast paced read.
  • Sophie's Secret (Whispers, #1)
  • The Overtaking
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • Survival (The Guardians of Vesturon, #1)
  • Seeds of Discovery (Dusk Gate Chronicles, #1)
  • Dark Matter Heart (Cor Griffin Bloodsuckers, #1)
  • Jaguar Sun (Jaguar Sun, #1)
  • Weaver (Weaver Saga #1)
  • Golden Blood (Time Spirit Trilogy, #1)
  • Dissever (Unbinding Fate, #1)
  • Pinehurst
  • Stained (Stained, #1)
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • Released (Romani Realms #1)
  • The Ghostly Grammar Boy (The Dusk Duo, #1)
  • Chosen (Guardians of the Word, #1)
  • Storm on the Horizon (Storm, #1)
  • Taken (Channie, #2)
Brina Courtney is a young adult author obsessed with chocolate, crime shows, and fantasy movies. She's spent the last few years as an elementary teacher and a high school cheering coach. She lives in a small town in Pennsylvania with her husband and two very loud, small dogs.

More about Brina Courtney...

Cryptid Tales (4 books)
  • Ignite (Cryptid Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Capture (Cryptid Chronicles, #2)
  • Settle (Cryptid Chronicles, #3)