Start by marking “Massacre at Lonesome Ridge (Lonesome Ridge #1)” as Want to Read:
Massacre at Lonesome Ridge (Lonesome Ridge #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Massacre at Lonesome Ridge

(Lonesome Ridge #1)

Connor McClane is used to hard times. As sheriff of Lonesome Ridge, he's fought his fair share of bad guys. But when creatures that should be impossible threaten his town, he'll face the hardest challenge he's ever known.

Charity Banks, the once-debutante from New York City, has a hunger for human flesh and a zombie horde to do her bidding. Can Connor defend Lonesome Ridge
Published March 11th 2014 by Createspace (first published March 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Massacre at Lonesome Ridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Massacre at Lonesome Ridge

Start your review of Massacre at Lonesome Ridge (Lonesome Ridge #1)
Jennifer Oliver
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Perfect blend of the Zombie horror and Western genres. I really enjoyed reading this one! The author does a great job of bringing an old west town alive. She offers readers a fresh take on the typical "zombie" story, which kept me turning the pages. I definitely recommend Massacre at Lonesome Ridge and I'm looking forward to reading the next one.
Stacy Xavier
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The pacing in this book was just phenomenal, it flowed wonderfully. I cared about the characters quite a bit and got immersed in the little nuances of their lives that made them 3-dimensional. I wanted it to be a little harder for them to figure out how to kill the zombies/how the zombie "infection" spread, but then again, anyone who reads zombie books or watches horror movies on a regular basis knows that already, so dwelling on it can get boring, so it was dealt with gracefully while getting ...more
Traci York
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. I usually read before I go to bed to help calm the mind. I actually couldn't put it down. It is a different zombie experience. Nothing like I would have expected. Without giving anything away, it is so intense and keeps you wanting to read more. I can't wait for the next book :)
Cat
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A new twist on the Undead and a cast of very vibrant characters set in a time that begs you to don a feather boa! Wonderfully descriptive, and yet easy to get caught up in, this book is very hard to put down.

Once again, Ms. Warren keeps me up well past bedtime!
Noor Jahangir
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
A massacre at a small native american village leads to the survivors invoking a dark spirit, who turns them into zombies so that they may seek vengeance against the white men that slaughtered their families.
The story opens with Little Bear, the village shaman's grandson and heir, out on a romantic walk with his fiancee, Summer Rain. But when they return, they find their village under attack by white men. Little Bear and Summer Rain barely escape with their lives. Little Bear is then called on to
Angela Cruz
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a western meets zombie horror. This is a stand alone book and the ending is perfect. I usually do not like horror books, but I was surprised. I would recommend this to 15 and up due to some of the bloody parts... some details even made me cringe. A great read for zombie lovers. I was intrigued the whole book. This book had a couple main characters but the chapters are very detailed so you are never lost, and the characters all work together. I had a love/hate relationship with Charity.
Awesome Indies Book Awards
It’s difficult to pinpoint the protagonist of this story. Readers need to know who to trust/distrust/love/hate/whatever but it can’t be left as an open question. Even though the story starts with Little Bear, Charity is the more dynamic character with higher emotional potential (even if it’s negative) however that isn’t made clear until almost half-way through the book (when she challenges Little Bear’s passivity).
Realistic dialogue is challenging and when you’re dealing with specific eras,
Gayle Noble
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, zombie
This is a zombie story with bite. I watch The Walking Dead but some of the descriptions of the killings in this book made me wince. It's definitely not for the squeamish.

Set in the old Wild West, it has a good plot which moved along at a fair pace and kept my interest, although I wasn't keen on some of the characters (view spoiler).

I will definitely read the
Brett
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This is a fun read. I think blending westerns and zombies is about the last genre for this and Samantha does a great job with it. The characters are well fleshed out (pun intended, lol) and the action is fast paced. There were not any slow spots at all for me with Massacre at Lonesome Ridge and I would read more of her work in a heartbeat.
Highly recommended for zombie fans and even for those who aren't or have tired of the genre. Try it, you'll like it.
Rhonda
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very different zombie story which was great. It kept me turning the pages to see what new developments the author would work into the story. I loved the setting and the characters. Will definitely read more from this author. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Larry
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book far more than I anticipated. I was taken of it in more than a few places by the technical inaccuracies but overall I found it to be a rather original telling of a genre that I dearly love. Combining a western and a zombpoc was great fun and it has me looking for more combinations like that. What I wouldn't give for a good sword and sorcery zombpoc. I found the characters to be engaging and the flow of the story very well held together by the author. I will definitely be reading ...more
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

Zombies are one of those things that are used quite a lot in fiction, whether horror or otherwise. (Teen paranormal romance is starting to use zombies, I've noticed...) Therefore, I imagine it's probably very difficult to come up with a different, unique spin on the zombie genre.

I felt that this author did a good job of creating a new spin on the zombie genre. Instead of the zombies just coming out
Becky Stephens
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: western, zombies, horror
Massacre at Lonesome Ridge was an enjoyable read. While many zombie novels don't acknowledge the origin of the zombie virus, Warren goes out of her way to not only create a unique cause, but to also blend it into the landscape and lives of her characters.

The main characters are well rounded, and I enjoyed getting to know them. However, most of the secondary characters need development. This novel is well-paced, and I like that it is a full story, all the way to the satisfying ending.

My biggest
Gabrielle
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book Free from the Good-Reads First-Reads program. I really enjoyed the characters in this book. All of them had different personalities but, I especially liked Charity Banks' character the most. This book was definitely different from any other zombie book that I have read especially since a lot of it takes place in the old west. the way that Samantha Warren describes when the zombies taste flesh is very vivid, almost like you are experiencing every gory second for ...more
Deborah
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Let me say at the outset that I don't like zombies. They are so not my thing. That being said. I loved this book. I will definitely need to read the next one. Zombies with a thinking ability, what a cool idea. But kinda scary too. I can't wait to see what happens in the next installment. I think this could be the next great zombie tv show. I'd watch this one, unlike the others on tv. It had a underlying sense of humor. I was really pleased with this read. Well written and well thought out. ...more
nora m malotte
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Massacre at Lonesome Ridge: A ZOMBIE WESTERN

For ZOMBIE FANS this is going to be a real treat. This THRILLING WESTERN is a first for me in the zombie genre. It has the action, horror and suspense have come to expect , plus the added bonus of the early WESTERNERS , SHAMANS, INDIAN CEREMONIES and GUNFIGHTS. YOU WILL LOVE IT! I RECOMMEND
Veronica
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I found this book to be a refreshing twist on the zombie genre. It was well thought out and very descriptive. I am looking forward to reading more by Samantha Warren. I received this book for free from Librarything in exchange for an honest review.
John Love IV
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun little zombie western. Good characters, good plot. Just a light little romp through the west and crowds of zombies.
Christine
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoy a good zombie western. This set in late 1800's and besides a few typos it was a very entertaining book! I am actually getting ready to read the next book!
Colin Buckland
Mar 11, 2014
Charl
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y2017
A refreshing take on zombie stories, and not just because it's set in Ye Olde West. Obviously the first book of a series, but it stands alone well.

Well done.
Sadly mediocre.
Laporta
Feb 27, 2016
Samantha Warren
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Gilbert B
Feb 18, 2016
Samantha Warren
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Alexis
rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2014
Alysa H.
rated it did not like it
Feb 22, 2019
Nan Sampson
Feb 21, 2014
Samantha Warren is a fantasy and science fiction author who spends her days immersed in dragons, spaceships, and vampires.

In the name of research, she enlisted the help of her pet dragon Anethesis and together they built a Noah’s Ark-like spaceship. Three trips through a hole in the time-space continuum allowed the pair to explore the universe decades into the past and eons into the future. They

Lonesome Ridge (2 books)
  • Blood & Dust (Lonesome Ridge, #2)