Start by marking “Intra Muros” as Want to Read:
Intra Muros

Intra Muros

1898. Springer writes in the preface: The pages of this volume contain no fancy sketch, written to while away an idle hour; but are the true, though greatly condensed, record of an experience during days when life hung in the balance between time and Eternity, with the scales dipping decidedly toward the Eternity side.
Paperback, Classic Reprint, 102 pages
Published August 19th 2012 by Forgotten Books (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Intra Muros, please sign up.
Linda Mcham No, from what I understand, this book is NOT a near-death experience which requires someone to actually be clinically dead for a period of time. It is…moreNo, from what I understand, this book is NOT a near-death experience which requires someone to actually be clinically dead for a period of time. It is a "dream" of the afterlife. See Dr. George Ritchie's book "Return From Tomorrow" for a true near-death experience.
Near-death experiences have been recorded for at least 2,000 years. Plato's slave had a near-death experience.(less)

Start your review of Intra Muros
Sarah Durham
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone handed me this book just before the death of my mother. The lovely images it paints has helped me so much through the grieving process after her death. It may not be for everyone; but it helped me realize that her life here didn't suddenly end and then begin anew in heaven; but that her life there is just a continuation of her life here. Her mortal shell returned to dust; but her soul, with all her gifts and talents, stepped into devine bliss. She is still "working" to the glory of God; ...more
Janine Mcneal
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book 3 times in the last 10 years & will again. It renews my outlook on everyday life every time I read it. It still ranks as my favorite book. ...more
Yvonne
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, the beauty of Heaven! After reading this all I could think was "I'm ready to go" if heaven is like this. Whether one believes this is the vision revealed to the author or if she was actually there, this little book written over one hundred years ago, captures your imagination as to God's revelation from scripture. This was loaned to me by by my Bible teacher because of a friend who is terminally ill. This should be read by all as it gives peace to ones soul. I will gift it to others as the b ...more
Michelle
Springer, writing in 1898, makes no claims to revelation or prophecy, only a powerful dream/vision she experienced while in the throes
of a life-threatening health crisis. As such, her book is an interesting read that may or may not tell us a little about the
next life. She paints amazing pictures of the refreshment of heaven and the sweetness of fellowship, but I found a few areas
that didn't square with Scripture. For example, her experience of ongoing "marriage" in heaven is at odds with what Je
Traci Jones
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THe first really good book about heaven that I had found several years ago right after my step father was killed in an accident. I highly recommend it for books about heaven. Very comforting and insightful.
Stacie Salvo
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reminder of Jesus

This story is a beautiful depiction of what God has in store for those who love Him. I cried for joy when I read it. Regardless if this is just her dream or not, I can hardly imagine a more perfect eternal home with our savior Jesus Christ.
Karen
Apr 14, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I woman's vision of Heaven. Made me wonder what Dad experienced when he entered Heaven. Did he see and do the same things as this woman?
Robin Norman
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: most-impacted-by
My all-time favorite book to read in times of grief or struggle. I've read it several times and send it to friends and family who are struggling with the death of a loved one.
Bre Teschendorf
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago and just re-read it with my husband.
It is really interesting and insightful.
This time reading it, Heaven it struck me as being very cultural... It seemed like a male dominated world where women do a lot of tending to their husbands, which I am sure is the kind of world that Rebecca Springer lived in, but is not the way I expect heaven to be. My husband disagreed with me and thought I was being too picky.

I was also struck by the portrayal of the temple and worship//c
H.E. Olsen
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Within Heaven's Gates by Rebecca Springer is, I would have to say, the only book that has filled me with a sense of peace and of completeness throughout the whole story. For a little book this story gives a big message. This book has taught me of patients and that life is as it should be, wherever anyone is standing. When we are in the will of God we are where we should be, through struggle and victory. There is no reason to long for the past or try to rush for the future. God has it all handled ...more
Kim
Jan 27, 2008 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those curious about heaven
Recommended to Kim by: My mom.
This book rings true. It is about a woman's death experience and journey to heaven where she lived for years. Even if it isn't true, it is well worth the read to expand the mind towards what heaven could be. She tells about swimming in heaven, in all the different bodies of water. She could talk and breathe under water and she always came out refreshed in spirit and mind. I think of those images quite often. Intramuros was written in the 1940's and is now hard to find as a hard copy. It was repu ...more
Sally
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, interesting read. Great reminder of what our purpose here really is. Something that I should probably read every few years.
I love the intensity, but also familiarity between her and Jesus. Especially the analogy of thinking of Him like an older brother whom you adore.

It's difficult for me to wrap my brain around how she describes a lot of heavenly life, but I think that's why reading these kind of books is important: to remember that there is so much more to life than this life.
Kimberly Roberts
Ready to go.

Ready to go.

while reading this book, I often imagined what my dad is doing right now. Is he waiting for my coming so that he can show me around like her father did? Is my grandmother waiting as well? Do they talk with the Master, daily? My heart yearns to go see and be with The Lord of lords and the King of kings, to sit with Him and learn all He would teach me. You won't be disappointed in reading this wonderful journey.
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, just not what I was hoping for. There were some good things I took from it but it was much more about her personal meetings with people she knew than it was about what she experienced about the place. It's hard to resonate with reunions of people I don't know, and I generally read these kinds of books in order to know more about what Heaven itself is or looks like. In that regard, definitely didn't get a whole lot.
Amy
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great to read and was recommended after my boyfriend past away. It made me think more about heaven and even gave me great resurrance that heaven is a place of peace and absolute joy. I can say that this book has led me on a path of reading my bible more and my faith in Jesus is secure.
David & Rhonda Rose
If Heaven is even a teeny tiny bit of what is described in this book, oh what joy awaits the follower of Christ!
Michael Garreffa`
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: after-life
Great Inspiration.. Excellent for those suffering with grief.
Jackie St Hilaire
"Knock and it will be opened. Heaven in it's purist sense on the other side of the veil"

One of the first accounts of a near death experience written by Rebecca Springer and published by David C Cook in 1898. I have this particular copy in hardcover titled: "Intra Muros".

During a very severe illness, Rebecca found herself alone with no one by her side and needing comfort turned to Jesus. Jesus came to her and led her to the "promised land" where she was taken to visit relatives and friends who h
Jana Gutiérrez
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first audiobook I’ve binged on and the experience was magical. I probably would have skimmed through it had I been reading on my own. And then I would have missed the delightfully dramatic music, sound effects, and voices of the audio version. I love hearing about near death experiences and heavenly visions. This mid-19th century one does not disappoint! Rebecca’s coincides with modern NDEs and also with solid grounding in the Bible. This would make for a great PG family read. I’d sa ...more
Collynn Harper
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics, grief
When read as simply a dream, this book, more than any other, gives me peace about those that have gone on before me. I love her final lines: "I have been in my Father's house. We shall know each other there!"

It changed my longing for my loved ones to be back here with me...instead it makes me want to hurry the day I get to join them.
Sharon
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read this book several times over the years and it never fails to inspire me. The language as well has a particular beauty reflective of the age in which it was written that adds to the uniqueness of its message. I feel blessed by the loan of this book years ago and would never be without a copy now.
Elizabeth Stevens
Such a comforting book. Both if you have family and friends that have passed, but also puts into perspective that your own death isn't quite as daunting as the world tends to believe. This book is in no way presented as Gospel truth, but a good reminder that there is hope and a future much greater than we can imagine.
Becky Mitchell
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally titled Intra Muros, Rebecca Ruter Springer details her divine revelation that was given to her by God during a lengthy illness. Billy Graham loved the book as well: "My Dream of Heaven" captures Biblical truths with emotional impressions." Originally written in 1898, her descriptions of heaven are so comforting and also awe inspiring. Read this book!!
Colleen F. Muffley
The most uplifting book I have read, after the Bible of course!

Such a beautifully written book and so inspiring. Anyone who reads this book and is a Christian will never be afraid of dying.
Stephen James
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart warming

There are few books that I have read that have filled my heart with a deeper love for my Lord than this one. Such a h earth warming book filled with His tender love for us. Incredible.
Voni
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought Provoking!

I am GLAD that I read this book.
A totally different concept of heaven than I had...it was good for me to read. Some things I questio ned....but that is true of any book about heaven. I will read it again.
Lindsay McMullen
When I first began this book, my mind when immediately to the story of 'The Yellow Wallpaper' by Charlotte Gilman - so I was annoyed because she just seemed crazy. However, I actual enjoy the portrayal of heaven. It's the one thing that I've read, that makes it seem like our lives are worth something - our work and gifts are worth something.
Glen Blesi
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accounts of Heaven are abundant, assuredly, by people who have been dead and then come to life, or have dreamed or had visions. We have all had dreams or visions that have given us things to think deeply about. Writers of course use images and content of these semi-conscious states as material for their works of fiction or nonfiction. As for the accounts of Heaven, the burden is on the reader and his reaction to what is read. Does he trust the heavenly visitor to be relating the absolute truth?
I
Sally
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Carol
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing little book! What an unforgettable vision of heaven. This book was first published more than a hundred years ago, and has withstood the test of time. Published initially as "Intra Muros," the book has been republished several times under various titles.

If you have ever lost to death anyone close to you, this book will bring you such a sense of peace and joy in the experience of heaven, that it certainly will help in your grieving.

• The Harbinger: The Ancient Mystery that Holds the Secret of America's Future
  • The Power of Imagination: Unlocking Your Ability to Receive from God
  • The Harbinger II: The Return
  • Opium and Absinthe
  • Ali Cross
  • Speaking for Myself: Faith, Freedom, and the Fight of Our Lives Inside the Trump White House
  • Angels All Around: The Present Day Ministry of Angels
  • Angels: Celestial Spirits in Legend & Art
  • Angels in Art
  • Bad to the Crone (A Spell's Angels Mystery, #1)
  • Angels
  • Flyboys: A True Story of Courage
  • I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy
  • The Glamourist (The Vine Witch, #2)
  • The Can't Cook Book: Recipes for the Absolutely Terrified!
  • Flood Tide (Dirk Pitt, #14)
  • Imagine Me (Shatter Me, #6)
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)

News & Interviews

“I think one of the sweetest proofs we have of the Father's loving care for us is that we often find in this life the things which gave us great happiness below.” 1 likes
“Every gentle word, every generous thought, every unselfish deed, will become a pillar of eternal beauty in the life to come.” 0 likes