Start by marking “Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universe, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimension” as Want to Read:

As stated " A roller coaster of an intellectural ride through the extraordnary workd of black holes, wormholes, parallel universes, higher dimensions and time travel"
Published March 1995 by Anchor Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Hyperspace, please sign up.
Alex Shrugged I've read both. Hyperspace is better written than Parallel Worlds, but Parallel Worlds has more current information on String Theory and M-Theory. I…moreI've read both. Hyperspace is better written than Parallel Worlds, but Parallel Worlds has more current information on String Theory and M-Theory. I read Hyperspace first and then Parallel Worlds. (less)

Nathan
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buck Rogers fans who build supercolliders.
Michio Kaku apparently spent his childhood building super-colliders in his parents' garage. It paid off. He's clearly brilliant, and best of all, he's not lost his imagination. One sad fact of modern physicists is that precious few of them have any imagination, and are incapable of thought experiments and relative flights of fantasy. As Kaku has pointed out, fantasy fueled more great discoveries in science than pure science ever did on its own. In this book he uses what we know about quantum phy ...more
Carlos Coral
Aug 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to learn Quantum without having to put up with six years of math and science courses
This is the book that allowed me to fool an entire room of graduate students into thinking I was utterly Brilliant. It is a really good crash course on just what the hell Quantum, String, Unified Field Theory ad Superstring actually are. Lays down the history and concepts in a way that makes sense and makes you get it.

Particularly savvy readers will start making the other logical leaps. If we are thinking energy vibrating along a 10-dimensional string, what does that say about the frequency of s
Kelvin
Jan 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at chapter 10. It was a bit too dry and technical for me. While the chapter names were intriguing and there were interesting anecdotes in each chapter, it was still slightly too boring, even with the pictures, for me to read into and understand the developments of modern physics. There wasn't much holding it together, i.e. the book only follows the overthrow of each theory as its organizing structure. It also seemed to ramble on with analogies that weren't that great to follow, eg the wood v ...more
Jimmy Ele
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foundation
5 stars for his lessons on physics, science, and mathematics. No stars for his musings on religion, god, and evolution.
kesseljunkie
It was OK just because the science fiction at the end was a lot of fun.

Dr. Kaku alternates through two styles -- talking to the reader like they're completely stupid and then talking to them like they've taken a college physics class. I'm neither, I understood what he was writing, and was just insulted. The cornerstone of Hyperspace theory is that there were 10 dimensions for a fraction of a fraction of time in the first fraction of time of existence for this universe, but 6 of them probably don
David
Started strong. An introduction to non-Euclidian geometry, string theory, and related concepts. Made me fantasize about learning the math.

Got more and more speculative toward the end, and not so interestingly so. Like many books, this one would have been improved by a ruthless editor. Still, worth a read if the topic interests you.
Shawna
Oct 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the popular science books that got me so interested in doing physics in the first place. Accessible to me before I even took a physics class, it should be accessible to most anyone with interest. Very interesting questions raised about space and time/parallel universes/etc. New ideas (as of date published: 1994) are discussed in a non-technical way. Also, very well written and easy to read (with humor and everything!).
Steve
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nerds like me
If you've thought science is dull or perhaps too far beyond you, then please meet Michio Kaku. He writes about theoretical physics in a way that will fill you with wonder and possibility. He takes what would otherwise be very complex concepts and conveys them using metaphors that every average joe can understand. The number of a-ha moments I had reading this book were too many to count. What a terrific read.
Marc
Michio Kaku makes some amazingly complex and mind-bending concepts accessible to the lay reader (i.e., me, and maybe you, too, if you're also not a physicist). He sprinkles the book with entertaining and informative anecdotes and his passion for the topic is infectious. Still, I shudder to think that no author ever addresses Schrödinger's ailurophobia. Here's hoping the 6-dimensional universe opens up just as this one closes!
Rich Paz
I am now officially a Michio Kaku fan. This book explains physics as it should be taught in school. His simplistic approach begs the reader for more information. I also love physics now because I understand it a lot more thanks to Mr. Kaku's books. The school systems should think about this book as part of their cirriculum to teach the importance of understanding physics. Highly recommended.
Aloha
May 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michio Kaku did a terrific job of explaining to the layman scientific possibilities often depicted in sci-fi.
Cloud
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“According to string theory, if we could somehow magnify a point particle, we would actually see a small vibrating string. In fact, according to this theory, matter is nothing but the harmonies created by this vibrating string. Since there are an infinite number of harmonies that can be composed for the violin, there are an infinite number of forms of matter that can be constructed out of vibrating strings. This explains the richness of the particles in nature. Likewise, the laws of physics can ...more
Denise
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. As a sci-fi junky with a degree in music, I am very pleased with how much of it I understood! Kaku writes in a way that is accessible to people with little background in science. Some of the really abstract concepts went over my head but the majority was fairly easy to understand. I definitely feel smarter having read this book.
Ricardo
It's up there, though not as accessible, as Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" and "The Universe in a Nutshell". Dr. Kaku does spend a considerable time walking the reader through how the theories of space-time and hyperspace arose and some of the historical and more mathematical stuff can be a little dense. However, the book opens really nicely with very vivid and amazing explanations of just how freaky hyperspace can be as well as the implications for the world of physics. The book also ends ...more
Aenea Jones
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-nonfiction
I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone interested in Quantum Physics.
Kaku covers both the basics (Schroedinger's Cat, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, double-slit experiment, etc) and the newest insights into the String Theory.
One reason why his books are so popular is because he manages to explain difficult and logic-defying processes in an understandable way.

Ricardo Acuña
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
One of the most intriguing theories in the modern physics is the probable existence of a multidimensional time-space reality. Matter, space as we know sooner or later will turn to a new paradigm. A good book to think over this possibility
Brian
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, non-fiction
Kaku takes his readers on an amazing journey from Big Bang to the end of time. His uncanny ability to make even the most esoteric theories of cosmology understandable (at least from a high-level) makes Hyperspace an engaging read for any laymen pondering the wonders of the universe.
Lydia
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Universes curled up into the size of a pencil eraser???!
Incredible brain food. Who needs religion when the world and its parts just keep going and going and going....?
João Pires
It was one of the first books that I read when I started having interest in this themes. It was really good, really wonderful discover of the thoughts about the Universe! Only in the last chapters I start getting a little confused. But it's important to note that this book was written in 1994 and the thougths about the String Theory nowadays changed.
Cherie
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michio Kaku uses great examples to help the reader understand the complex physics of parallel universes, time warps, the tenth dimension and more in Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the Tenth Dimension. Some of the pictures used to describe the physics made me laugh, particularly the one with Einstein staring at dinosaurs and the dinosaurs staring back.
Logan Scoles
Intriguing topics and Dr. Kaku is one of the few people who writes for the science enthusiast. Lot of information here. However, it was not conveyed in terms understandable for the general reader. Multitude of topics discussed without ever being broken down as to why I should care or what that means in terms I can relate to. Good book for someone well versed in mathematics or physics. I enjoy the topics discussed, but they need to be broken down in a way in which anyone could understand and rela ...more
Pineapple
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My official rating is " how many stars there are in the sky out if 5". This is a great book that introduces to many high level concepts in physics. Easy to read with great info on history of theories and all the geniuses involved.
Veronika
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, science
Good book. Toward the end I felt like I am reading sci-fi instead of science, which is great. Where would all the science be, without a good dose of imagination.
Ameya
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although most of the stuff about String theory and 10 dimensions was largely not understood, the book in itself was very engrossing. I liked the history of the development of the theories of higher dimensions. It was surprising to know a lot of the development started in the 19th century.
Benjamin Park
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hyperspace makes the obtuse and opaque concepts of theoretical physics accessible to anyone with an interest in science. I was delighted to learn about the world of physics that lies beyond the three dimensions that we perceive. I did find parts of the book to be too dense or technical so I just skipped over those sections.
Chris
Whew!! The evolution of theoretical physics up to 1994. Was waiting for a more current book, but started this in the interim. Part I, the first four chapters and Parts III & IV, which covered 6 chapters were pretty easy to read for this non-physics person and quite interesting especially those things involving cosmology. Part II, had my brain often saying Whaaaat???! More technical definitely. So why would a non-physics person, much less theoretical physics want to read this book? Well the n ...more
Jim Nielsen
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be an enjoyable, relatively accessible look at some of the most advanced theories of physics (and mathematics) in modern science. Granted, I didn't understand everything in this book, The overview on the brilliant theories of specific and general relativity and their consequences I found fascinating and understandable. Once you start getting into quantum theory and its mathematics things get a little strange and complicated. But why shouldn't they? Quantum mechanics, as the autho ...more
gabrielle
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another amazing theoretical physics book for the general population. i've re-read this one several times too. Dr. Kaku is an inspiration.

this quote is one of my all time favorites:
"...We now believe that the mind of God is music reverberating through 10 dimensional hyperspace..." Dr. Michio Kaku

this book explores so many fantastic ideas- worm holes, parallel universes and things you only thought were possible in Sci-Fi TV/films.
it will challenge you to think and look at the world in a whole new
Brendan Carroll
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michio Kaku is one of my personal heroes. Although some of the book was way over my head, I read the rest with great interest and learned a busload of new things about Quantum Theory. I enjoyed the read though it took me a long time to get through the book. I did have to skip some of the more technical stuff, but every once in a while a light would go on and I would be elated.
I can't comment on the book professionally of course, but if you are interested in Quantum Theory, Dr. Kaku's writing sty
Bob
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction

Good general history of 20th century physics. I enjoyed the layout of the book -- first half of the book is the history of hyperspace, second half is what can come out of the theory. Loved this part. Wormholes, time travel, black holes and the death of the universe. The author does a good job bringing in sci-fi stories to explain or illustrate the various theories. Some times he would go off on a tangent and try to bring the point back in a rough way.
Astronomy and Spa...: Hyperspace 25 22 Mar 30, 2019 10:15AM

• Just Six Numbers: The Deep Forces That Shape the Universe
  • Black Holes & Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy
  • The Fourth Dimension: A Guided Tour of the Higher Universes
  • Endless Universe: Beyond the Big Bang
  • Antimatter
  • The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science and What Comes Next
  • Quintessence: The Mystery of Missing Mass in the Universe
  • Schrödinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality: Solving the Quantum Mysteries
  • The Inflationary Universe: The Quest for a New Theory of Cosmic Origins
  • The Last Three Minutes: Conjectures About The Ultimate Fate Of The Universe
  • The Fabric of Reality: The Science of Parallel Universes--and Its Implications
  • Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe
  • New Theories of Everything
  • Cycles of Time: An Extraordinary New View of the Universe
  • Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions
  • Parallel Universes: The Search for Other Worlds
  • Quantum Reality
  • Time Travel in Einstein's Universe: The Physical Possibilities of Travel Through Time
(Arabic: ميشيو كاكو
Russian: Митио Каку
Chinese: 加來道雄
Japanese: ミチオ・カク)

Dr. Michio Kaku is an American theoretical physicist at the City College of New York , best-selling author, a futurist, and a communicator and popularizer of science. He has written several books about physics and related topics of science.

He has written two New York Times Best Sellers, Physics of the Impossible (2008) and Physic
“It is often stated that of all the theories proposed in this century, the silliest is quantum theory. In fact, some say that the only thing that quantum theory has going for it is that it is unquestionably correct.” 160 likes
“Some people seek meaning in life through personal gain, through personal relationship, or through personal experiences. However, it seems to me that being blessed with the intellect to divine the ultimate secrets of nature gives meaning enough to life.” 85 likes