Start by marking “The Good Goodbye” as Want to Read:
The Good Goodbye

The Good Goodbye

The author of The Deepest Secret returns with another spellbinding domestic thriller about an estranged family forced together in an ER as disturbing truths come to light. Crackling with moral ambiguity and alive with family tension, this is a poignant and unforgettable novel of the lies we tell, the secrets we keep, and the truths we hide even from ourselves.

Two cousins,
Published January 12th 2016 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Good Goodbye, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sarah The first we hear of it is at the hospital - slowly we learn about the cheating, until near the very end it is better explained, although why she did…moreThe first we hear of it is at the hospital - slowly we learn about the cheating, until near the very end it is better explained, although why she did it isn't really. Considering she was the one who could do the work well, why she chose to buy a paper off her dealer was inexplicable. She'd have been better off requesting an extension, or appealing to Professor Lee. (less)

Deanna
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I previously read Carla Buckley's book "The Things That Keep Us Here" and really enjoyed it. When I read the book blurb for "The Good Goodbye" I thought the plot was very unique and I was looking forward to reading it. And honestly I was not disappointed.

"The good thing about saying goodbye, is getting to say hello."

The story is told from three points of view. Alternating between eighteen year old cousins, Arden and
Elyse Walters
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
$1.99 Kindle special download today!
It’s a very engaging read!!!!! I was ‘hooked’!

Update... I forgot to mention...
I listened to the Audiobook of this one.
The narration was excellent!
The intensity with the mothers - especially towards the end really came through with the voices towards the end! Really stays with you!

"I wish you'd never have been born".
Geeeeeezzzzzz This novel gets emotionally intense - horrific - and sad -
Toxic venom fumes are leaking ....
The reader is not sure from where - o
Christine
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: Diane strong review
I want to thank Net Galley, Ballantine Books, and author Carla Buckley for the kind gift of an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

This is my first time reading a novel by Carla Buckley, and I was impressed! The Good Goodbye is a domestic suspense story set in the Washington D.C. area and Maryland. It is told from the POV of 3 characters in alternating fashion. We hear from 18 year-old cousins and best friends Rory and Arden, and Arden’s mother, Natalie, who co-owns a r
Diane S ☔
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Arden and Rory are cousins, raised together, as close as sisters. Arden's mom and Rory's dad own a restaurant together that is not doing well. Rory is expected to go to Harvard, Arden wants to go thousands of miles away to an art school but the money is no longer there. Both girls go to a college where their grandfather is on the board. A fire in their room will leave both girls critically injured and one young man dead.

How well do we know our children? These girls had some major secrets, secre
Esil
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
3 1/4 stars. The Good Goodbye was a bit more than three stars but not quite enough to round up to 4 stars. Arden and Rory are cousins, who start university together and share a dorm room. They are caught in a fire in their dorm room, and both remain unconscious, unable to explain what happened, in the hospital with serious injuries. The story is told from Arden and Rory's perspective, moving back and forth in time. It is also told from Arden's mother's -- Natalie-- perspective as she sits vigil ...more
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it

My first book by Carla Buckley and I’m left wondering why I’ve never picked up a book of hers before. The Good Goodbye was a pleasant surprise - a domestic thriller full of tension and suspense. It actually reminded me of one of my favorite books, The Dinner by: Herman Koch, although this story is very much it’s own. The tension between the families, as well as the moral ambiguity of the characters were reminiscent enough that I knew I would be addicted.

The story is set in the DC/DM
Jan
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, mystery

The best word I can think of that describes this book for me is BLAH...

This is a story about family dynamics and the ties that bind. Parents secure that they know their kids are happy and safe, and kids with secrets that have dire consequences once they come to light. This has all the makings of a juicy story, but sadly it just fell flat for me.

While coming at just 300 pages, it reads like it's much longer. The story is told through 3 separate voices which was clearly defined, but many
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books, suspense
The problem with reading an amazing book like Idaho is that the next book you read is going to pale in comparison (It would be like a really good singer taking the stage after Adele. The really good singer doesn't have a prayer of measuring up.) I think that's what happened here.

"The Good Goodbye" had the makings of a decent suspense book -- family drama, unanswered questions, lots of red herrings -- but at the end of it all I simply felt like it was a little bit better than okay. And to top it
Jonetta
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jonetta by: Diane S ☔
Natalie Falcone and her brother-in-law, Vince, are the co-owners of a restaurant in the Washington DC area and they've hit a rough patch financially. Their daughters, Arden and Rory, now have to attend a local college instead of the prestigious institutions where they gained acceptance. They've grown up together and have always been as close as sisters, with only a 4-month age difference. They even look alike. All of this precipitates a tragedy no one in their families saw coming. As both sets o ...more
Linda
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, giveaways
"The first time you hold your baby and see she's alright, you breathe a sigh of relief. You think you've crossed the finish line. You don't realize that the race has just begun."

Carla Buckley will tie you in tight, tight knots, release you, and then repeat. She certainly knows how to weave a complex domestic saga into the lives of two closely knit families. The gallery of faces within these pages wear expressions that provide a demure stopgap for the lies, half-truths, and startling inner workin
Mary Kubica
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely devoured this book. Must read!
☮Karen
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Two brothers have families in D.C., both with 18 year-old daughters who grew up together, more like sisters than cousins.  Rory was always the leader, the domineering one, while Arden always looked up to Rory.  Due to finances, the girls are forced to go to a local college in Maryland and room together,  rather than escaping to their dreams schools, an art college in California and Harvard.  After a couple of  months away at school, the girls are critically injured and a fellow student killed in ...more
Lynne
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow! The ending of this book is so very beautiful. It's a really well written story about two freshmen in college, who are cousins and grew up together. They are both in critical condition in a hospital after a fire. It's told from various perspectives and points in time. I really enjoyed reading this! Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC!
Lisa
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
What a great book with a good twist at the end. Two very close cousins go off to college together. There is a fire in their room and both girls end up in the hospital in critical condition while one boy died. The police want answers and the parents just don't know their girls well enough. Lots of secrets come out while this story is told in 3 perspectives going back and forth with the girls and one mother/aunt, Natalie.

Do we really "know" our children or even our family? As the story unfolds we
Terri Wino
3.5 stars.
I received an ARC of this book from Bantam Books through a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you to both.
I'm slightly torn by this book. It definitely gets the emotions churning, but I had some difficulty connecting with all of the characters. The story was told from three perspectives -- Arden, her cousin Rory, and Arden's mother Natalie. Sometimes this worked, other times I felt the jumping back and forth got a bit confusing, and if the chapter hadn't listed whose narrative was happening I
Lesley Moseley
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Fast paced well written contemporary book. All the things I like. However I kept getting the feeling I had encountered this premise before. I checked the publishing date and as its 2016, surmised I could not have read THIS book. I wonder if its a theme from another book.

Otherwise.. I still really enjoyed this journey..
Laurel-Rain
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rory and Arden Falcone have been inseparable since their birth, and despite the fact that they are just cousins, they could almost be twins. They look enough alike to be mistaken for each other.
Vince and Gabrielle are Rory’s parents, while Vince’s brother Theo, and his wife Natalie, are Arden’s.

Their connection is further enhanced by the partnership between Vince and Natalie in the restaurant they own.

But all is not perfect with the Falcones, and when Rory and Arden go off to college together, a
Cathy
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness what an awesome book , one of the best I have read this year and that says a lot since I have read quite a few this being the beginning of the year . I was captivated by the first page yes the first page . The charecters , what can I say , I think the author must have pictured or known these people while writing this book . I was also wiped out by the ending . You will not be disappointed please pick up a copy of this book and read it . You will love it I can guarantee you that .
Barbara
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you are a big fan of Jodi Picoult’s “My Sister’s Keeper”, you will enjoy this novel by Carla Buckley. Two 18 year-old cousins, Arden and Rory, and Natalie (Arden’s Mother), narrate “The Good Good-bye”. It’s a suspenseful tale that begins with a deadly dorm fire that leaves the two cousins in critical condition and in a coma. The reader learns the story of the girls through flashback chapters of Rory and Arden.

Natalie’s chapters are the current timeline, with Natalie struggling to make sense o
Dawn G
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Outstanding!! I read this book in nearly one day. I was hooked from the very first page and could not stop reading until I knew the truth which Buckley doled out in pieces. A gut wrenching emotional roller coaster ride of suspense. Definitely my favorite book of 2016 thus far.
Joce (squibblesreads)
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75-4 stars
Kim
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really good read. Had a hard time feeling any sympathy for Rory; she was just truly awful to Arden.
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Random House and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Talented storyteller, Carla Buckley returns following The Deepest Secret landing on my Top 30 Books of 2014, with THE GOOD GOODBYE, another complex exploration of a family in crisis. A spark ignites a full-fledged blaze --a dark web of deceit, lies, and secrets.

Two families. They are close. Cousins, like sisters. Arden and Rory Falcone. Two brothers . Vince and Gabrielle (Rory’s parents). Vince’s
Lolly K Dandeneau
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Cousins cemented together since birth (whether they wish to be or not) may look alike, but that's where the similarities end. Rory has a natural ease with people, attracting boys and friends with her beauty and confidence where Arden is the awkward outsider gifted with raw artistic talent. Arden is malleable, and Rory takes advantage of her 'weakness', at times embarrassed by her cousin's lack of social know how. There is something simmering between them that will rise with the flames of a vicio ...more
Aoife
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, thriller, kindle, mystery
I received a free digital copy from the author/publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest feedback.

The Good Goodbye is a dramatic and suspenseful novel about two girls and a family full of secrets. Arden and Rory Falcone are cousins and best friends, born only four months apart. They have been together their whole lives but when a fire breaks out in their dorm room leaving the girls in critical condition and another student dead, Arden and Rory's parents end up with a lot of questions and
Julie
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vine, fiction, own
Rory and Arden are cousins, inseparable and practically identical, and off to college together. A family misfortune led them to room together at a school neither of them particularly wanted to go to. Just 6 weeks in, they are both sent to the emergency room after a fire starts in their dorm, killing one of their friends. As the police investigation commences, their parents are forced to address some serious issues while their daughters lay unconscious in the ICU.

Rory is the spoiled princess who
Ret Yeager
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I can't figure out why I liked this book so much. On the surface, there aren't many redeeming qualities about the main characters. The writing is compelling but I'm not crazy about all the elements that tie things up in the end.
Stephanie
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Good Goodbye by Carla Buckley

Thanks to NetGalley, I received a copy of Carla Buckley’s The Good Goodbye, which might actually be a YA novel. If it isn’t, my vote is that it should be…doesn’t mean it won’t be read/enjoyed by adults, but I think YA readers would REALLY like it.

Part of that is due to the main characters around whom the story swirls: Rory and Arden. These two young women are cousins who have always been inseparable and apparently almost identical. They have gone away to college
Michele
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
There are so many books that are following this family-secrets plotting that I finally gave up and created another GR shelf just for them. Carla Buckley's new novel (due out in January 2016) is using this theme for The Good Goodbye, an interesting novel and well-written story featuring two close-as-sisters cousins and their families.

Arden and Rory grew up as close as sisters, their families intertwined together. Arden's mother, Natalie, owns a restaurant with Rory's father Vince, and the closene
Leslie Lindsay
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
"The first thing you should know is everyone lies. The second thing is that it matters."

I love this line and it adequately summarizes the forth novel from Carla Buckley, a spellbinding domestic thriller about an entwined family forced together in the eaves of an ICU in which both of their daughters, cousins-close-as-sisters lie in precarious prognoses.

THE GOOD GOODBYE is intense and mysterious, alternating narratives of the two college-aged girls/cousins (Rory and Arden) and Arden's mother, Na
Forsyth County Pu...: March 2017 - The Good Goodbye 2 18 Apr 03, 2017 12:26PM
  • Verbena
  • The Things We Keep
  • Oregon Hill (Willie Black #1)
  • It's. Nice. Outside.
  • 14 Days to Die
  • Beside Myself
  • Somewhere Out There
  • She's Not There
  • The Tender Mercy of Roses
  • Fallen Land
  • Missing Pieces
  • Foal Play (Colleen McCabe #1)
  • The House on Oyster Creek
  • The Good Cop (Carter Ross, #4)
  • The Nearness of You
  • Un ragazzo normale
  • Il giardino dei fiori segreti
  • The Banks of Certain Rivers
Carla Buckley is the internationally bestselling author of The Good Goodbye, The Deepest Secret, Invisible, and The Things That Keep Us Here, which was nominated for a Thriller Award as a best first novel and the Ohioana Book Award for fiction. She is a graduate of Oberlin College and the Wharton School of Business, and currently lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She serves on the board of the ...more
“The first time you hold your baby and see she's all right, you breathe a sigh of relief. You think you've crossed the finish line. You don't realize that the race had just begun.” 1 likes
“The first time you hold your baby and see she’s all right, you breathe a sigh of relief. You think you’ve crossed the finish line. You don’t realize that the race has just begun. —” 0 likes