Start by marking “But I Could Never Go Vegan!: 125 Recipes That Prove You Can Live Without Cheese, It's Not All Rabbit Food, and Your Friends Will Still Come Over for Dinner” as Want to Read:

“Get ready for your taste buds to explode.”—Isa Chandra Moskowitz

Can’t imagine living without cheese? Convinced that dairy-free baked goods just don’t cut it? Hate the taste of tofu and not a fan of boring salads? EXCUSES, BE GONE!

Blogger-author extraordinaire Kristy Turner deliciously refutes every excuse you’ve ever heard with 125 bursting-with-flavor vegan recipes for
Published December 2nd 2014 by The Experiment

To ask other readers questions about But I Could Never Go Vegan!, please sign up.
M. It's a cookbook from someone who was a gourmand and who loved cheeses so there's many vegan alternatives to cheeses and popular foods and dishes. The…moreIt's a cookbook from someone who was a gourmand and who loved cheeses so there's many vegan alternatives to cheeses and popular foods and dishes. The author isn't focused on the ethics of others' diets, although everyone would benefit from being exposed to critical viewpoints, shielding yourself from criticism will be a hindrance if you want to make more informed and less damaging choices.(less)

Start your review of But I Could Never Go Vegan!: 125 Recipes That Prove You Can Live Without Cheese, It's Not All Rabbit Food, and Your Friends Will Still Come Over for Dinner
Ashley Chew
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
1st let me say that I collect vegan cookbooks. I currently have 65 & that's only because I recently got rid of about 40. So I have a lot to compare cookbooks too!That being said this book is in my top 5!
Everything in this book looks Amazing!!
I thought this book, because it is geared towards veg-curious, would, like most books in a similar market, would be full of vegan meat substitutes, Daiya cheese, & other vegan convenience foods. But I was wrong!! This is actually a pretty healthy
Leah
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you’re a waffling vegan newbie, on-the-fence vegetarian, or veg-curious omnivore, this book will banish your doubts.

But I Could Never Go Vegan! countered the many reasons people give for not going vegan. I picked it up because I'm always looking for 1) new veggie-focused meals to try and 2) ideas to help me reduce the amount of dairy in my meals. The author being a former cheese-lover herself, I thought I could trust her recipes to actually satisfy my dairy cravings. Frankly, sometimes I'll
Sara
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great idea to organize the chapters by the most common excuses! Nice photos. I made several delicious things from this book:
Tofu sour cream
Chickpea "fries"
Three pea and pistacio pesto orzo salad (I used something other than orzo, I think it was just brown rice)
Lentil, chard, and sweet potato curry (this was really good)
Broccoli cheddar soup
Carrot cashew pate]
Creamy curried tempeh salad with dried cherries and almonds (I used raisins; DELICIOUS)
Spiced carrot cake cupcakes (without frosting)
Rebekah
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-challenge
I have made quite a few of these recipes and I have not been disappointed! The only thing that didn't turn out wonderful was my lentil loaf and I believe it was because I did not cook my lentils long enough and did not have enough flour to my loaf but other than that, I'm very very happy with this purchase!
Eric
Nov 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
This was a curiosity read. Vegans still fail. I believe that vegetables and fruits and such can be made tasty, but I am insulted by the unattainable - and extremely expensive - ingredients required to recreate something that's already majestic. Broccoli cheddar soup? Why make it without the cheese? Why have cheese in the title if cheese isn't in the recipe is a better question? Maybe I'm narrow-minded, but vegans are either very wealthy to afford the unique ingredients to make fake food or they ...more
Lara
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This one was getting hyped a lot awhile back, but when I looked at a few of the reviews it seemed like a lot of people were saying there's too much fake meat and cheese in it, and since I mostly tend to avoid those things (not having been big on meat even before I decided to quit eating it), I figured it wasn't for me. But then, I dunno, the cover is pretty and there's a quote from Isa Chandra Moskowitz on it, so I ended up getting talked into it despite that (it also helps that a perk of my ...more
Emily
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vegan
Okay... I'm not vegan nor do I intend to be. I checked this out because I eat a vegan-like diet a good portion of the year for religious reasons. If I were considering being a vegan, this book would not sway me.

When I look at vegan recipes, I always discard the ones with fake food. Blech. (Yes, I know there was a section that addressed this). I love cooking with whole, real foods and spices. (I also love cooking with grass-fed butter, ghee, local, free-range eggs, and cheese...but that's not
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
Has some great recipes,going to get busy preparing a few this week.
Terri
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This cook book is absolutely wonderful! I have cooked several recipes from here already and they are a huge hit with me and my family . I am vegan and have to eat gluten free so it is a challenge. The author labels each recipe with tags like sugar free , gluten free, I still can make many things that are not labeled gluten free with gluten free ingredients . Very clear concise directions and easy to follow. If you are looking to go vegan or want to go vegan a few times a week , whatever your ...more
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
What a fantastic and informative read. First I must clarify: I love reading cookbooks...every...last...word.

This book not only offers 125 vegan recipes but some useful information. I am in the process of becoming a vegan so I was appreciative of this information.

And yes there are pictures! I hate cookbooks that don't have pictures of the prepared food.
Lynne
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delicious!

These recipes all sound delicious! I would recommend this to all my friends who like to cook. The cheese recipes are definitely worth getting the book. Also, the pizza recipes sound fabulous, I can't wait to try them.
Dena
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love this vegan cookbook as much as Thug Kitchen - the recipes don't seem as accessible or sound as tasty. Plus, I feel like she's super-focused on convincing me to become vegan, whereas Thug Kitchen just glazes over the fact that it's a vegan cookbook (so I barely even noticed). I'm most excited to try some of the desserts, which is weird since that is usually the section of cookbooks that I have the least interest. I don't care for creating foods that imitate something (like cheese or ...more
Jennifer Hanicq
I only tried 2 recipes but the ones I made were a huge disappointment. The mix of flavors in the veggie wrap were not appetizing in my opinion and the broccoli tabbouleh just tasted healthy. I've been able to cook healthy recipes from other books where they are very flavorful. Maybe I just picked 2 bad recipes as this seems to be a popular book. However, I haven't been tempted to make anymore recipes so I may not find out how the rest of the book is.
Lisa | experimentalveggie
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some of the recipes in this book are quite good, others more basic, inspiring nonetheless.
Quince Winstyn
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Good cookbook. Mushroom Fettuccine Alfredo, sort of bland tasting. If you are trying to overcome a tofu aversion, this is not the way to go.
Chrissy
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I adore vegan cookbooks, and I can't deny that this particular cookbook has most of the amazing qualities that are typically present in my favorite selections.

For one, this book is jam packed with amazingly gorgeous, colorful photographs of meals that look so *spectacular* that I feel as if I can almost SMELL the food, just by looking at the pictures!

I think this is where "BUT I CAN NEVER GO VEGAN" *especially* shines -- in creating familiar recipes with a healthy vegan twist that still maintain
Aleece
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This might be a great start to working towards becoming vegan or working vegan meals into your everyday meals. This is a great starting point for people that don't know where to start (like me). My weakness is cheese so having an entire section on cheese substitutes with many different types of "cheese." Some of the ingredients seem to be more expensive but when you already have some of them on hand it will save time in the long run. There are tons of wonderful recipes that I am looking forward ...more
Rebecca
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
Seriously, everyone she read this just for the bbq roasted cauliflower recipe alone. Oh. My. Gosh. I've made it three times now and no longer need the recipe, so I guess I can return it to the library...
Amanda
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great cookbook and really helped me dabble in veganism. However some of the ingredients are tricky to find in NZ
Pam G
Dec 02, 2015 added it
another great cookbook for vegans. lots of flavorful recipes that are easy to follow and enjoyed by my entire family.
debra newman
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Recipes!

I am vegetarian with thoughts of becoming vegan but have not yet made the transition. I love animals very much. For this reason and my awareness of the horrible plight of animals for mass consumption I became vegetarian but found dairy products much more difficult to let go of...until this book! The recipes look amazing (only 2 or 3 I wasn't interested in) and for the most part really simple ingredients and prep but she also includes dishes for larger gatherings! Turner makes
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Back in December I entered a book giveaway on a blog, and won. A few weeks later I got a copy of But I Could Never Go Vegan directly from the publishers. Before the book, I wasn’t really familiar with the blog Keepin It Kind. I might of stumbled on the page once or twice, but never really read the website in depth. So I read this book from the point of view of an established vegan who had never heard of the author before. I read the book with any knowing the author’s preference of foods, styles, ...more
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
just the actual organization of the book was frustrating enough for me to never use it. to be fair, I read this but didn't try any of the recipes. they seemed boring, especially for someone that is a vegetarian already or who has tried a few vegetarian/vegan recipes.

I guess if you hate typical cookbooks, this might be for you? if you're a new veggie, this is not the place to start. maybe the supermarket vegan one, just anything else.
Yvonne Hop
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love the way this book is constructed and even just flipping through it makes you hungry. No more excuses, just good food! The only down side is that some of the ingredients are hard to come by in my country.
Steph Sugden
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is FANTASTIC! I’m not vegan but after trying out a few of these recipes, I want to be. The food is easy to master and tastes absolutely delicious! Way beyond my expectations for vegan food. Love it.
Bernadette
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good collection of tasty vegan recipes, including comfort foods, that help debunk the myths of "I could never go vegan..." Deliciously shows that most anything used as a food excuse for not going vegan can be served up as a vegan alternative.
Barbara M
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I eat vegetarian and was looking forward to reading this book. However, I didn't like the fact that the author tries to make vegetarian food look like meat. That is not what I am seeking.

I looked through the recipes and only found a few that I would ever attempt.

Darlene
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ideas for meatless meals

I'm not quite looking to go vegan, but I was happy to find a decent collection of meatless options. There is a great introduction with useful tips prior to the recipes.
Jennifer Stoy
On the one hand, I think it's a fun, functional set of recipes, but I do think they fall on the trickier side of things and I'm not sure people are down to make vegan sour cream, even though it makes sense to do so.
Janet
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Yeast flakes DO NOT TASTE LIKE CHEESE.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck
  • Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week
  • The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples
  • Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen
  • The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
  • Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock
  • Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Come and Get It! Simple, Scrumptious Recipes for Crazy Busy Lives
  • The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making
  • Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen: Traditional and Creative Recipes for the Home Cook
  • Giada's Family Dinners
  • Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
  • Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
  • Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
  • I'm Just Here for the Food: Food + Heat = Cooking
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule
  • Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites