Start by marking “Prime Deception” as Want to Read:

Prime Deception

When Lorna Thomas is found dead in her car everyone believes she killed herself. But the day after her death Lorna was set to sell a scandalous story to one of Britain’s biggest tabloid papers. For six months she had been the Deputy Prime Minister’s mistress.

ebook, First, 304 pages
Published April 7th 2014 by Carina UK

To ask other readers questions about Prime Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prime Deception

Ruth
This one, provided by the publisher through netgalley, was a wonderful surprise. It had strong elements of a mystery, a thriller and a romance, but it didn't conveniently fall neatly into any of those distinct categories. The main characters are well-developed, but all of the characters are well-defined and none of them are remotely perfect. It meant that reading this one felt as though I was watching one of those fabulous British crime thriller series.

It's actually quite difficult to write this
Liza Lorenz
Apr 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Review @ www.LitLoversLane.com

Recently, I happened upon NetGalley, a site offering pre-publishing date copies of books in exchange for a review. Hoping to get the scoop on some good reads, both indie and not, I tried it out with this book. While I think author Carys Jones had the makings of a very good story with this concept, Prime Deception fell flat for me in a number of ways.

I was eager to read a criminal mystery full of twists and turns and a bit of suspenseful action, but that is not reall
♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
You can read this review and more on my blog:

I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Because of the synopsis, I was expecting this story to be told mainly from Laurie’s point of view, but actually the character of Charles was a more prominent figure than Laurie herself.
Charles is the Deputy Prime Minister, and Laurie’s twin sister Lorna was his mistress. He ended the affair with
Scott Parsons
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I received this novel via NetGalley after it was mentioned in the Dead Books group. I started off thinking it might be possibly a good murder story but quickly discovered it is a Harlequin romance. One thing that bugged me was that, though one of the leading characters is the Deputy Prime Minister of the UK, politics is hardly mentioned in this novel. Also I had a problem with the role the Deputy Prime Minister is supposedly playing in the govt. There is only casual mention of the Prime Minister ...more
Kristie
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was a bit worried in the middle of this book that story was going to go in a much less interesting direction. Unfortunately, I can
t say much about it without giving away some subplots. Let's just say that the odd romantic interests of one of the main characters creeped me out a bit and I was glad that that storyline went the way it did. However, it did take away from the story a bit for me. Overall, a good story and worth a read. 3.5✭

I should mention that this book also had significant typos.
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
A big thank you to the author for sending me a copy of her book via NetGalley and the request for an honest review.

I really enjoyed reading Prime Deception, it has an interesting mix of relationships, crime, cover-up and thrills and it was an easy read that kept me interested and happy to keep turning the pages to see what was going to happen next.

Lorna is a young and beautiful intern to the Deputy Prime Minister of England, Charles, she is also his mistress. Charles is locked in a loveless an
Jane
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received a request from Carys Jones to review this book on Goodreads. This is an electrifying thriller about a young intern Lorna who commits suicide. Interestingly her character is all narrated to the reader from the perspective of those closest to her. She is the mistress of the Deputy Prime Minister, Charles a very powerful figure who is devastated by her death. Charles is trapped in a loveless marriage to Elaine who thrives on the trappings of their lifestyle and seems to be hanging on to th ...more
Stephanie (the nerdy princess)
I got a copy of this book from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

I started off thinking it might be possibly a good murder story but quickly discovered it is a Harlequin romance. Might I add, I am NOT a Romance reader. Very far, and in-between do I actually sit down and read a romance book. I can assure you I was not a happy camper.

I was excited to read a criminal mystery full of twists and turns and a bit of suspenseful action, but that is not really what I got.

Instead, most of th
Babus Ahmed
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
After arranging to meet a journalist to tell her kiss and tell story, Lorna dies in a car crash that has been ruled suicide, but her sister, Laurie doesn't believe that Lorna would take her her own life. She vows to get to the bottom of what happened and to do so she steps into her sisters shoes, and internship at Downing Street inviting a possible killer to show themselves.

With suspects galore this book gets underway quite well and I really did enjoy the first half of it, but the second half w
Jane
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
This started with a good sounding idea. The Deputy Prime Minister of England starts a clandestine affair with a new intern in his office. He's married but it was for the good of his career. The couple are childless and his wife is wonderful in supporting his career. When the young intern dies. Things started to get really interesting. But then the story bogs down with much discussion of grief and guilt. It becomes very repetitive and began to wear on me and it became harder and harder to feel co ...more
Sabina Bundgaard
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
When a young woman kills herself, it seems like suicide and is ruled that way by the police. Another young life wasted, a tragedy. A whole family is being torn apart, a town is grieving, and the Deputy Prime Minister feels like his heart is torn out from his chest and the light has gone from his world.
See, the young woman who allegedly committed suicide was the Deputy’s mistress. All very hush, hush, of course. But not everything is what it seems like.
When Lorna’s twin sister; Laurie shows up
Elle
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Investigative journalist John Quinn has spent years waiting and working to get a story that will shock the nation. Working for a notorious British tabloid, he finds himself extremely close to the story of his dreams - a kiss-and-tell with the young intern mistress of the Deputy Prime Minister. However, just before the story is printed, John receives a call that quickly puts an end to his dream. The intern, Lorna Thomas, is dead.

Charles Lloyd is devastated when he hears of Lorna's death. However,
Sal
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.

It's been some time since I picked up an Adult novel, opposed to the usual Young Adult. But as soon as I read the synopsis of this novel, I had to read it. Lately I've been reading a lot more Mystery/Thriller books and I'm loving them!

This particular tale circles around Laurie Thomas, the identical twin to Lorna Thomas who had supposedly killed herself by driving her car into a tree. Lorna had begun working as an inte
Leslie
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The author reached out to me and offered me a copy of this book through NetGalley. Because I have received a free copy, it has in no way, influenced my opinion.

I read the premise and was really interested by the fact that it was a mystery. Who doesn't love a good mystery novel?! It started off pretty strong and I was intrigued. When the Laurie showed up is when things started to get a little repetitive and a bit boring. Really, most of this book could be summed up by the characters feelings. I
Serenity
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So I liked the start of the book, it was nice and calm. Charles is a nice guy and is starting off the day just like he always does. Gets up, makes sure not to wake his wife, get dressed, shaved and whatever else he needs to do before he goes to work.

Now at work Charles has time to himself to do his work. He doesn't like being called deputy, but hey it's his job. So I noticed a lot about Charles right away. He isn't happy at his work, he can't change the look of his own office, and well his sec
Anne
Aug 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Look at the review on my blog: http://booksbakingandblogging.wordpre...
Disclaimer: I received this novel from the author to read and review. This has not influenced this review in any way, as I will always give my honest opinion of any book I read.

I went into reading Prime Deception completely unbiased, as I hadn’t read anything about it yet. The blurb sounded a bit dramatic and sensational, but I figured that wasn’t much to go by since blurbs are rarely representative of the novel they are tryi
Lainy
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Time taken to read - 1 day

Publisher - Carina UK

Pages - 304

Source - NetGalley

Blurb from Goodreads

Will Lorna’s secret die with her? While her family try to move on and come to terms with her death one person refuses to believe that Lorna kille
Kim
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having received a request from the author to read and give an honest, fair review, I was more than happy to download a copy from NetGalley. The premise of the book fell into one of my favorite categories - Mystery. Right away there's a huge story about to break within the UK about a Deputy Prime Minister and his illicit affair. Initially I thought the book was going to focus on the reporter as he uncovered the truth about the affair and what happened to the players. Instead the twin sister becam ...more
Marina
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
*Copy provided by the author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Lorna Thomas had a great story. A story that she would sell for a lot of money. For the last six months Lorna had been the mistress of The Deputy Prime Minister. But John Quinn, the journalist in the most popular tabloid in London never had the chance to write the story. Lorna Thomas killed herself.

The only person who really knows Lorna is her twin sister. Laura knows her sister better that anyone else and one thing is
Danielle
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of crime thrillers, especially those with a strong story lines and twists and turns that keep me guessing every step of the way. I would have never thought that crime thriller would blend very well with a romantic story line, but Prime Deception manages to mix the two quite nicely.

We learn that the Deputy Prime Ministers' lover has supposedly committed suicide but her twin sister and the Minister himself finds that difficult to swallow. We follow the characters trying to unravel t
Emma
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Carys for sending me a copy of this book for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book, I loved how descriptive Carys was when describing Charles at the start of the book, we get a really good insight into his life and thoughts. The story starts in a very calm way which was interesting as I was expecting the story to jump straight in at the scene of Lorna’s crash, but I think starting the story this way makes it so much more intriguing. We learn right at the start that Charles doe
Jody
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review first posted on my blog: http://spoonfulofhappyendings.blogspo...

Charles Lloyd is the Deputy Prime Minister of England and quite unhappy with his life. His job doesn't give him much pleasure anymore and he's stuck in a loveless marriage to his wife Elaine. The only thing that still managed to make him smile was his Downing Street intern Lorna, who was his mistress for six blissful months until she was found dead in her car. Everyone suspects it to have been suicide, but there are still a
Autumn
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, netgalley
I received this book via NetGalley.

After reading the blurb I figured this would be a really good mystery, but it was more of a decent one. There wasn't really a mystery so to say. The characters did not feel fully developed for me. We have a young intern who is having an affair with the Prime Minister OH NO right? Yeah it seemed to be more hush-hush. Or so what is thought. We learn a bit about Lorna through her twin sister who comes into play later on but it just didn't feel as though we truly l
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Prime Deception was a great change of pace for me. It's an adult suspense novel, something I don't read very often. The premise alone was very intriguing: Lorna Thomas is in love with Britain's Deputy Prime Minister---who is married. They have an affair, break up, and then Lorna is found dead of an apparent suicide. Lorna's identical twin, Laurie, believes Lorna was murdered, and sets out to find her killer.

Laurie goes so far as to get Lorna's old job as an intern with the Deputy Prime Minister'
Claire
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was contacted by the author on Goodreads, to read and review this book via Netgalley, in return for an honest review.

On reading the blurb about the book, I immediately thought it would be something that I wanted to read and accepted the invitation.

The book tells the story of the Deputy Prime Minister, Charles and his affair with one of his interns - Lorna, who tragically commits suicide one day, not long after breaking up with Charles. However, Charles doesn't believe the report and sets abou
Deborah
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have to admit I’m a little torn on this book. On one hand it’s a comfortable and easy read and I read it in a sitting. I noted it was promoted as mystery / romance, but – thankfully – there wasn’t a lot of romance (which was a relief to me as I’m not a fan). But I suspect that would disappoint those with expectations.

When political intern, Lorna Thomas is killed in a single vehicle accident it’s believed that she committed suicide. Her twin sister Laurie however, has her doubts and believes Lo
Paula
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Melody Winter
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
After not really knowing what to expect from this book after reading previous reviews (was it a romance or a crime suspense?) I was pleasantly surprised. To me, there was no doubt that this is a romance, albeit one shrouded in mystery and intrigue.

I really sympathised with Charles, although hated that I did, as he was the pivotal key to everything that happened. I didn’t struggle with the lack of political references. To me, there were enough mentions of the role he had to play in the government
Heather L
Kaitlin
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
By Carys Jones
Released 4/7/14
Downloaded free through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Rating: 3 bones
Finish Time: 3 nights. A mystery by true definition, really kept me guessing until the very end. And I’ll call myself out right away – took me until the end to figure out the title. The book follows the Prime Minister of England, thus it is a true story of “Prime” deception, pun intended.

This book starts with a death, ruled a suicide, then a flashback to the deceased by t
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Carys Jones loves nothing more than to write and create stories which ignite the reader's imagination. Based in Shropshire, England, Carys lives with her husband and her adored canine companion, Rollo.

When she's not writing, Carys likes to indulge her inner geek by watching science- fiction films or playing video games.

She lists John Green, Jodi Picoult and Virginia Andrews as her favorite autho