Start by marking “Rain in the Mountains: Notes from the Himalayas” as Want to Read:
Rain in the Mountains: Notes from the Himalayas

Rain in the Mountains: Notes from the Himalayas

Rain In The Mountains: Notes From The Himalayas is a collection of semi-autobiographical writings of the eminent writer Ruskin Bond about his life at home in Mussoorie.

Summary Of The Book

Rain In The Mountains: Notes From The Himalayas brings together some of Ruskin Bond’s most beautiful works from his years spent at the foothills of the Himalayas in the town of Mussoorie.

Published July 27th 2016 by Penguin (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Rain in the Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain in the Mountains

Start your review of Rain in the Mountains: Notes from the Himalayas
Em*bedded-in-books*
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All nature lovers, those who adore precise English
It was a fabulous read. As the title states, it's a collection of anecdotes, snippets, poems,essays and ruminations of the writer's life spend in the various hamlets of the Himalayas. It was beautifully written, so much so that it converted me, a robust admirer of modern technology and modern way of life into a nature lover. For the past couple of days I have grown into the habit of starin out into the surrounding wilderness, keenly observing birds, squirrels, vegetation, the sky and the moving ...more
Raksha Bhat
This morning when I was out for a walk I was looking at the roadside rather intently. A bed of bright purple flowers born with the dew greeted me. Ruskin Bond was right, wild flowers are indeed rewarding, the best ones are the most difficult to find. Such is the influence of his books, one starts noticing and appreciating the little joys of life. And this one ‘Rain in the Mountains-A Note From Himalayas’ is just like the song of his favourite bird, the whistling thrush; like a dark sweet secret ...more
Tarinee Prasad
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Format:paperback
my rating : 3 jhil mila ti timtima ti tare aur adha tukda chand ka :)

some lines from past :

About Rain

I love Rain
my friends think it's a girly thing
What I think ?
I think my friends are idiots and loving rain is an unisex thing :P

About the mountain :

From the top of the hill
I saw a valley so naked and beautiful
as I sat mesmerized
whole of my past was reflected before my eyes

A past with memories nostalgic
sweet funny and those tear rolled moments of silent cries
I was numb for
Krishna Sruthi Srivalsan
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There's something therapeutic about reading Ruskin Bond. Simple, unpretentious, down-to-earth writing, laced with subtle humour. Last summer, I came across this lovely book while browsing through a quaint little bookshop in Kochi's Jew Town. It's a collection of essays, stories, poems, and personal journal entries, dating back to the late fifties. A wonderful read, it reminded me of my childhood days in the Nilgiri Hills and the Doon Valley. I loved reading about interesting characters like Miss ...more
Wardah Beg
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature
The review by India Today on the front cover said "Reading this collection of short stories, essays, poems and articles is literally like inhaling a lungful of fresh mountain air", and it couldn't be more right. Here is the review by India Today (Year: 1992) http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/bo...
The author, Ruskin Bond is a simple man with simple dreams, a very down-to-earth soul (not literally, because he's still on the hills). His writing is simplistic, as well as his thoughts. He's the kind
Hari
Jun 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
I am going to Darmasala for a 10 day trek in the Himalayan mountains. I think this would be the perfect companion during my train journey from Bangalore to Delhi. Very excited to deepdive into the book. Ruskin is a writer for the soul.
Vrinda Bhagat
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An innocent form of writing, it is suited to pick up if you are looking for some simplicity in words around you. Undoubtedly, it takes you in the lap of nature, but beware it can make you sad that you are not the one who created these notes. I feel it is a very natural way of reporting about one's life, especially when the events are so peaceful. There is no drama, no melodrama, no intelligence, only sharpness of the brain and the simplistic description. If I had to write an autobiography, I ...more
Vineeta Khurana
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Soulful soakness into nature!!
Once you have started the journey with Bond, you don't want to come out of it.

Few favorites -
Be like water, soft and limpid, it finds its way through, over or under any obstacle. It does not quarrel; it simply moves on.

And
Lord, give me a quiet mind,
That I might listen;
A gentle tone of voice,
That I might comfort others;
A sound and healthy body,
That i might share
In the joy of walking
And leaping and running;
A good sense of direction
So I might know just where I'm
Priyanshu
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A few chapters from Ruskin Bond's life through his essays and excerpts from his journals. If there is a writer I truly connect to, its him. This is not a story book, and I loved it even more for that reason.
Geet Natsumi
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with mr bonds writing after reading this. Poignant, deeply observed, simply felt.. The book takes you on a journey, which you feel soothing your soul. Nature, colours, trees and life truly come alive. My favorite, anytym book!
Elizabeth Noble
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you have ever romanticised living in the mountains, you'll love this one !!
Shivam Kalra
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruskin Bond made me feel so many things. I'll take this time to feel them and, perhaps, cherish them.
Anupama Sarkar
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finished reading. Loved it in parts. Detailed review would follow.
Chandru
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exquisite, mesmerizing, therapeutic and takes you on a virtual journey through the Himalayas. This won't be the last time I'd read this. Ruskin is the best Bond. And real.
Milan
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: india, non-fiction
Ruskin Bond is more known for his novels and stories than his non-fiction writings. This should change. His essays and observations are so vivid and deeply observed and beautifully written. I have read most of his stories during my younger days, but it is only recently I started reading his non-fiction. This was my second non-fiction book and I think I'm going to read all of them.

Rain in the Mountains is a collection of essays, poems and journal entries. It has keen observations about lives in a
Madhurya Yadunath
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Had the feeling of being in the mountains and close to nature. It had the magical effect of transporting you next to MR. bond on his interesting interactions with nature and people. A joyful and soulful book. The poems,journal entries,notes and essays are oh so captivating. This will be the first of many more books in the Ruskin Bond journey for me.
Manoj Narayanan
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books. Don't know how many times I have read the stories in this book ! The cover page has a quote from India Today which says that "reading this book is like inhaling a lungful of fresh mountain air". Nothing else can be said in a more appropriate way about this book. Every time it takes you back to the mountains...what a fabulous writer !
Kushagra Singh
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Incredible that it took a while for me to read the book. Perhaps because this was like a love affair with mountains, nature which I didn't want to end so soon. Such an indulgence, such a delightful book! Ruskin Bond and his disarming charm makes this a memorable book. Maybe, someday I can also spend some time in the mountains and experience what Mr. Bond has given a glimpse of through this book.
Aakanksha Joshi
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A real pleasure in reading Ruskin Bond's Rain in the Mountains. The book captures the freshness of Himalayan mountains, trees, people and the simplicity with which these natural resources make a man happy. The streams, the birds, the roads where he takes his walks and the rain that destroy his roof. Everything about the book is so beautiful and so real. Thank you, Sir for this beautiful read.
Deepak Singh Rawat
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Read this beautiful book if you love mountains, nature and Ruskin bond. You will get to know Mr. Bond through this book for sure. It has poems and write-ups and few old diary entries. It is a must read to escape from the reality and land to mountains with Mr. Bond.
Ramya
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every time I pick up a Ruskin Bond book, I get lost in the nature, sitting in my room. The richness of details, the keen observation of everyday simple things, the subtle humor; no other author can make you feel like you're being virtually transported to the mountains.

"It is a good sound to read by - the rain outside, the quiet within - and, although tin roofs are given to springing unaccountable leaks, there is in general a feeling of being untouched by, and yet in touch with, the rain."

"The
Crypto Punk
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'd always been familiar with Ruskin Bond's fictional works, owing to most school libraries here carrying almost all his works. But back then I found myself not quite enthusiastic about his narratives. This time around, reading this collection of notes, poems and essays penned during his 2 decades in the Himalayas, I found myself absolutely enthralled by this wordsmith.

There is no overarching plot and the only shared theme across pages is a love for nature. With mere glimpses into his peaceful
Megha Chakraborty
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mountains are permanent and indeed they are. This book brings out Ruskin Bond's beautiful work for his time he spent in Mussoorie, Dehradun, and other hill stations. This is not a novel, or storybook either, but a collection of few personal short stories, poems, essays and journal notes. The love that Bond has towards the mountains and its people is visible in every single chapter. The writing is beautiful, serene and even while you read you can actually visualize everything and it's really ...more
Vinay Leo
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bcbe-11
#2019 #YearInBooks Book 71

Ruskin Bond is an author I love to read. This book is a collection of journal entries, essays, diary extracts and even a few poems thrown in. I quite enjoyed the read. It's non fiction but observational. There was this poem titled The Wind and The Rain which I liked. Five lines but it brought a smile. The poem Boy in a Blue Pullover also had a similar effect with its character and its ending. A simple but beautiful book.
Saifuddin Shaik
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very simple book that reminds us of nature - flowers, trees, the small road on the wayside, the old tree etc. I love the way feelings are conveyed through simple words.
"You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." ~Paul Sweeney.
Kanchan Lakhlan
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can relate to every single word. If you've lived in mountains you would relate to it. ...more
Jyotsana Rastogi
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a beautiful book. No frills and furbelows to it. If you're ever in the mood for some simple, light reading which doesn't tax you and leaves you with happy thoughts, this is the book. One of those I'm-gonna-keep-coming-back-to-this sort of novel. A very, very good read indeed. Throwback to simpler days, and amazingly beautiful stories :)
- a happy reader.
Kriti Bhardwaj
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of reading this book on a solo trip to Rishikesh in August 2019. The Ganga, the Shivaliks, the clouds, the trees, the flowers, the birds, the rain, the roads, the book..all morphed into a seamless song that I carry in my heart forever. It was almost like RB sat beside me, writing everything I felt, saw, smelled and touched.

Ruskin Bond does total justice to expressing his gratitude, love and admiration for the mountains. Like most of his other work, this book feels like
Jinay Shah
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book contains the journal entries of Ruskin Bond while he stayed in Uttarakhand, India. Though he was British by birth, he longed to spend his life in the mountains amongst which he grew up, in India. So he returned to the mountains and has lived there ever since. The book describes his life living in the mountains while being a writer. He has spent more than half of his life there and this book is filled with journal entries that describe how everyday life really is while living alone in a ...more
Parvathy
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's the kind of book that makes you want to pack up and move to the hills right away. It's a paean to the mountains, to simple living, to walking, to the rain and to all things that abound in the Himalayas - the birds and their songs, the trees, the flowers, the flowing water. In a journal form, this collection of writing spans decades, and is a mix of essays, poetry, stories. Bond is a contemporary Wordsworth, with a sense of humour (especially when he writes about the people he encounters). ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories
  • The Shadow Lines
  • Walking the Himalayas
  • Nine Lives
  • Don't Ask Any Old Bloke for Directions: A Biker's Whimsical Journey Across India
  • The Guide
  • Driving Under the Influence of Children: A Baby Blues Treasury
  • One Life To Ride: A Motorcycle Journey To The High Himalayas
  • കൊടകരപുരാണം | Kodakarapuranam
  • God's Own Office: How One Man Worked for a Global Giant from His Village in Kerala
  • Daivathinte Charanmar - You Could Be One
  • Something Happened on the Way to Heaven : 20 Inspiring Real - Life Stories
  • Mahashweta
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.

He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have
“It is always the same with mountains. Once you have lived with them for any length of time, you belong to them. There is no escape.” 62 likes
“On books and friends I spend my money;
For stones and bricks I haven't any.”
43 likes