Start by marking “Sisters of the Earth: Women's Prose and Poetry About Nature” as Want to Read:
Sisters of the Earth: Women's Prose and Poetry About Nature

Sisters of the Earth: Women's Prose and Poetry About Nature

Sisters of the Earth is a stirring collection of women’s writing on nature: Nature as healer. Nature as delight. Nature as mother and sister. Nature as victim. Nature as companion and reminder of what is wild in us all. Here, among more than a hundred poets and prose writers, are Diane Ackerman on the opium of sunsets; Ursula K. Le Guin envisioning an alternative world in ...more
Published December 9th 2003 by Vintage (first published 1991)

Sierra
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful collection that introduced me to many to authors!
Kendra
A lovely book with a mix of women's personal poetry and stories regarding earth and how women perceive her. Deep and moving, and without the aggressive writing like men tend to view the relationship with earth.
Tanya Sousa
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lorraine Anderson did a wonderful job collecting nature-related writings by talented women authors. I savored each page and loved the diversity of choices as I enjoy the diversity in life itself. I loved it so much I looked her up and sent her a message - she said she's coming out with other collections soon. When she does, I'll be sure to read them!
Beth Britnell
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my all-time favorite non-fiction book ... I absolutely love it. "Christmas in Driftwood Valley" especially ... I think I've read it probably 2 dozen times.
Rebecca Garcia
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
the back cover reads in part, "A stirring collection of women's writing on nature: Nature as healer. Nature as delight. Nature as mother & sister. Nature as victim. Nature as companion & reminder of what is wild in us all." this book is all that and more. it's a collection of pieces from more than 100 women poets, prose writers and authors who provide poems, essays, stories, & journal entries which span centuries. A wonderful addition to anyone's library with writers such as Emily Di ...more
Florence
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Every author in this anthology has experienced a closeness to the natural world. The entries that speak most profoundly to me offer an experience of wildness in the midst of the ordinary, everyday world. Mary Donahue follows "a V of honkers" to the northland. I have often tried to imagine the world as it looks to flying geese. I wonder where they are going, what it would be like to fly with them. Judith Minty writes of "those cats of mine"; the enigma of living with a creature who is one moment ...more
Lee
Jan 22, 2009 marked it as to-read
So far, I am LOVING this book! A lovely collection of essays and poetry...perfect for when I can only read for 15-20 minutes. I will be exploring Helen Hoover's writing after finding her in these pages!
Deb Weina
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book of women's prose & poetry about the earth and wilderness. A woman's love for earth and her bookshelf should have this book!!! I refer to this jewel often.
Camellia
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book I highly recommend
Reader
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Favorites include:
-Valerie Andrews "Beginning with a place" (p4) from A PASSION FOR THIS EARTH
-Opal Whiteley "The joy song of nature" (p7) from THE SINGING CREEK WHERE THE WILLOWS GROW
-Zora Neale Hurston "Blossoming pear tree" excerpt from THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD (p12)
-May Swenson "I will lie down" (p52)
-Celia Laighton Thaxter "Childhood on White Island" from AMONG THE ISLES OF SHOALS (p84)
-Barbara Meyn "Changing" (p294)
Jen
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am certainly adding this to my favorites list. I was delighted to see so many works from times long gone. I for some reason was under the assumption this was modern work only (I never read the description prior to picking it up). What a wonderful collection of writings. And Starhawk! I love her so.
Blake
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I had to read this for a class I was taking in college. I enjoyed a lot of the different poems and authors yet this seemed like such an abridged greatest hits of what could be so much better. I did find a ton of fantastic poems though.
Penney Peirce
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing compendium; to be treasured.
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful collection.
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easily a top contender for best book read in 2017. This anthology truly opened up a new world of writing to me. I absolutely loved this book, which is a collection of nature writing by American women, mostly from the 20th century. It includes many unique pieces of writing from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences, all with the overarching theme of the intersection of feminism and ecology - or, women seeking and finding communion with the natural world. In a moment of serendipity, I chos ...more
Kathryn
Sisters of the Earth: Women's Prose and Poetry About Nature is a veritable treasure trove of women's writing on nature. Lorraine Anderson did an outstanding job collecting a diverse group of writers who contributed poetry, prose, short stories and essays to the book. Her thoughtful and illuminating biographies that precede each work demonstrates her palpable attentiveness to each woman's voice. Sisters of the Earth contains this chorus of voices that include well-known writers to lesser known; I ...more
Tom Mueller
For a beautiful review, see: http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GA...

In the book's acknowledgments, I read of a course offered by Stanford; "Women and Ecology", which gives me yet another inducement to pursue some 'non-degree seeking' course work.
Some of my favorite classical authors such as Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, Rachael Carson and Willa Cather are among the more than 100 authors represented in Lorraine Anderson's compilation. Contempory authors include such stand-bys as Terry Tempest Willia
Tina Cipolla
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely excellent! I picked up this book in the Yosemite bookstore. One could not ask for a better read on a weeklong journey through Yosemite. I found so many writers in here that I want to read more of, some I'm familiar with, some not, but I cannot think of a better trove of new material to read. Be prepared for the full gamut of emotions from joy, and sighs of delight straight on down to despair and rage and everything in between. This book is an emotional roller coaster but well worth th ...more
Gary Brooks
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost I love poetry and I even write a little myself. What i really enjoyed about this work was that it covers almost the complete diaspora of nature writing. From historical perspectives, animal welfare, activism to even the space age and our stewardship of our planet.
The description almost to microscopic detail of almost all natural biomes eg the Pacific northwest, Prairie and the Canadian wilderness.
Aaron Shepard
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book full of beautiful writing. I enthusiastically recommend it; you will find it difficult to tear yourself away from the stories, poems, and essays honoring the Earth. It is well-organized and a multitude of authors are represented. This is certainly the best book of nature writing I've read.
Mike
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a treasure of deep ecology from the perspective of women writes from the early 1900's to today. This book is more pose than poetry but well worth exploring the authors that have observed nature, protested against its destruction and found nature as a means to heal.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Reading for my Ecofeminist Literature class. Some good stuff, but a lot of it is just pulled from wherever, and there are many incomplete pieces. I prefer anthologies with complete essays/short stories, personally, so this didn't quite do it for me.
Alexa Mergen
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book influenced me so much that years after reading it I interviewed the author, and women poets writing about the natural world, for this essay in Her Circle.
Caitlin
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Worth the money just for Linda Hogan's additions. I've carried this book with me for years. One of those well-worn books that you always seem to go back to...
Robin Ferguson
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
inspiring!
FarmDotr
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have to credit my sister-in-law Jennifer for finding this book for me.
It is a very centering book.
Claudia
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite collections.
Pat
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Wide range of authors and selections. Something to resonate for everyone.
Kathy Kayser-konig
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of stories!!
Sheri Humble
May 25, 2016
  • The Sweet Breathing of Plants: Women Writing on the Green World
  • Pieces of White Shell
  • Earth Prayers: From Around the World: 365 Prayers, Poems, and Invocations for Honoring the Earth
  • Holdfast: At Home in the Natural World
  • The Best American Poetry 2008 (Best American Poetry)
  • American Earth: Environmental Writing Since Thoreau
  • Dawn Light: Dancing with Cranes and Other Ways to Start the Day
  • Language for a New Century: Contemporary Poetry from the Middle East, Asia, and Beyond
  • Women Poets of China
  • Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson
  • Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings
  • Mary Magdalen: Myth and Metaphor
  • Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women
Lorraine Anderson is a freelance writer, editor, and teacher whose work focuses on encouraging a way of life in tune with nature.

She is the editor of Sisters of the Earth: Women’s Prose and Poetry About Nature and other works on nature.

She lives in Corvallis, OR.

(from http://www.whitecloudpress.com/author...)
“Nature offers us a thousand simple pleasers- Plays of light and color, fragrance in the air, the sun's warmth on skin and muscle, the audible rhythm of life's stir and push- for the price of merely paying attention. What joy! But how unwilling or unable many of us are to pay this price in an age when manufactured sources of stimulation and pleasure are everywhere at hand. For me, enjoying nature's pleasures takes conscious choice, a choice to slow down to seed time or rock time, to still the clamoring ego, to set aside plans and busyness, and to simply to be present in my body, to offer myself up.

Respond to the above quote. Pay special attention to each of your five senses as you describe your surroundings. Also, you need to incorporate at least one metaphor and smile in your descriptions.”
26 likes