Start by marking “Return to the Beach House: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Return to the Beach House: A Novel

Return to the Beach House: A Novel

(The Beach House #3)

Over the course of one year, in a charming cottage by the sea, eight people will discover love and remembrance, reconciliation and reunion, beginnings and endings in this unforgettable sequel to Georgia Bockoven’s The Beach House and Another Summer.

Published May 13th 2014 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published July 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Return to the Beach House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to the Beach House

Start your review of Return to the Beach House: A Novel
Andrea Guy
Toss this book into your beach bag and head towards the water! If ever there was a perfect beach read, this is the one. I felt so relaxed while reading it.

What I really liked about this book was that it was 3 separate stories that all revolve around the beach house. There's a little intermingling between characters, in one or two stories, but other than that, everything is separate.

The first story is about Alison and her grandson Christopher. Both find love at the beach house in unexpected ways.
Dianne
Amazon blurb

Alison arrives at the beach house in June to spend a month with her restless grandson before he leaves for his freshman year in college. Over a decade before, Alison lost her beloved husband, and has faced life alone ever since. Now she
Karen Rush
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had a long leisurely 4th of July weekend ahead of me so wanted a light and breezy read, nothing complicated, sad or with too many characters to keep track of. Chose this novel by Georgia Bockoven. It was the perfect summer reading choice as I lay in my hammock at the lake on this beautiful 3-day weekend.
Cindy Feigert
If you liked the first two books in this series, you will want to read this book. Again the beach house works its magic and heals broken hearts, strengthens friendships and helps people find love again. The third story was especially good.
Ferne
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received pre-publication copy from TheReadingRoom and HarperCollins Publishers.
I know that many readers pay very close attention to book covers. I usually do not. However, I was very attracted to this cover from first glance, and then the description captivated my attention to request the novel and I was lucky enough to receive a copy.
Publisher's description:
"Over the course of one year, in a charming cottage by the sea, eight people will discover love and remembrance, reconciliation and
Donna Souza
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love her stories
Cb Sellen
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good beach read.
Michelle Kellar
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love an easy summer read.
Eva
Jul 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An easy, simple, pleasant read.
Trichelle De La Cueva
This is number three in a series of five. I've only read 1,2, and 3. This one was the most boring. I do like that it gives snippets of characters from the first two but that was really the only part I liked from this one. So far two is the best.
Jennifer Donovan
Return to the Beach House is a perfect read for summer. It’s told in chunks, as it tells the story of 3 different groups who stay in the beach house over the course of a year. That means that if you have a scattered schedule, it can easily be put down and picked back up. It’s light and easy reading as well, although in the masterful way of skilled women’s fiction, it tells stories that do touch the heart and the core issues of identity without feeling too heavy or sad.

The first bit of the summer
OpenBookSociety.com
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: andra

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Andra

The first story was just a delight. As I frequently am when a story about 9/11 survivors unfold, I was drawn into the rebirth, if you will, of Alison (the grandmother) and Christopher (the grandson) as the reader travelled through the summer before Christopher is off to college. Both Alison and Christopher must break the bonds that bind them as a result of losing husband/grandfather and son/father when the twin towers
Julie Barrett
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Return To The Beach House by Georgia Bockoven
I have not read the first book in this series but will probably get it to read as I like this one so much.
Story starts out in June with Aliison Kirpatrick and she's vacationing on the west coast where her grandson joins her for a month before he heads off to college.
He's into horses and he meets up with Grace-who's cooking for her dad next door who's into surfing and tending the orchid nursery. They trade horse lessons for surfing lessons.
What I love
Tillie
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Having not read the first book, it was a little difficult to capture some of the essences of the house. However, that said, it was a good book with three stories of people who came to vacation and deepened their relationship because of the magic of the house.

In June, a grandmother and grandson who are still reeling from 9/11 come to the house to spend time together before he goes off to college. During their trip they meet two people who will change their lives forever.

In July, four friends who
Teresa Hall
I really wanted to love this book. Some characters, especially Grace, grabbed at my heart with two swift hands and never let go. The settIng was lovely, and I want a week at the beach house myself. But despite my wish, I did not love this book. There were just too many holes in the story for me.

The book is a sequel, and the prologue requires more of the story than the reader is given. Who were Joe and Maggie? Her first in-laws? Caretakers of the house? Previous owners? I have no idea. Grace is
Tia Bach
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three different stories in one beautiful setting; each one explores loss, love, and discovery. At the root of each story is a character or characters aching for something.

In the first story, Allison lives for her grandson and has forgotten many of her own needs. Christopher, who adores his grandmother, can't get out from under the expectations of his family; he needs to come out of the shadows of his father and grandfather and figure out his own way.

College friends come together in the second
Kaye
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-challenge
When I read The Beach House by Bockoven, I really enjoyed the story, the setting and the main character, young widow, Julia, who decided to rent out her California beach house. The book is comprised of stories of the different couples/people who rented the house and how it changed their lives. In Return to the Beach House, Bockoven continues the same theme and it is every bit as wonderful as the first book.

I think I really liked the first story best; Allison, who lost both her son and husband
Karen Korb
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts On The Book: I took this book to the beach with me last week because of the title. I thought it would be a good beach read that would last several days. A little sunburn and a good restful day later the book was completed. I could not put it down. I even found myself searching for a Bach house where I was. I imagined the houses we past as the house in the book. It was a really good read for those who love stories in a beach setting. If you are a regular beach goer you can definitely ...more
Katie/Doing Dewey
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
I hate starting in the middle of a series so I was happy to find that Return to the Beach House stands alone very nicely. The author does throw a lot of names at you at the beginning of each of the three short stories, but it’s manageable. With all the different characters in each story, I thought the author did a great job sharing everyone’s perspectives and transitioning smoothly between characters.

My one complaint with this book is that it was simply too short. I loved that each story
Marcia
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2014, fiction, library
Actual Rating: ***1/2

Three life transitions stories tied together by location and time made for some enjoyable reading.

Opening lines:
Prologue
The Beginning of May
A truly good face-lift is never obvious, whether performed on a sixty-year-old woman or a hundred-year-old home.

I know this scenario...
It had taken him six months to get her to use her iPhone for something other than making calls, and another six months to get her to give Angry Birds a rest and send a text. She'd taken to it faster than
Nancy
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently there are other books in this series but it is not necessary to read the previous books to follow this story.

The book concentrates on the renters of this beach house that was recently renovated by the owner. The writing style of this book is visceral and very well articulated. Each of the sections are devoted to the current renters and give a snapshot of them. They are at pivotal points in their lives and could be anybody you know which is the beauty of the character choice.

My only
Gail Ofterdinger-Ledgister
This is a most entertaining read. Two two-somes and a quartet rent the same beach house at different times of the year. The first is a grandmother and her grandson who both fall in love quickly, she with a used car salesman (who is much more) and he with the girl next door. The quartet is a group of four college friends who are having a reunion after a long absence with each other. They re-learn how to lean on each other in times of need. The last couple are lovers who see each other ...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

Returning to the beach house where each renter rents for a month and usually has some significant reason for taking a month long vacation. As the previous two books have been re-released with new covers, this one was new and you could tell that the issues that were being dealt with were more on the modern side. With 9/11 and PTSD as two of the big things, I absolutely loved this one and its characters.

I don't want to say too much in this review and
Ann
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful return to Julia's beach house in California. Three separate connected novellas make this a fantastic read. Part one is Allison and her grandson, Christopher , spending a month together before he leaves for college. They both have a love interest for their month stay. Next are 4 college roommates hitting their 30's meeting to catch up and discover how much they still need each other. Part 3 is Matthew and Lindsey, both professional photographers who worry that their constant ...more
Carla
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Are you looking for a book to read on vacation, or better: on the beach? You found it! This book tells three stories of people who stay in a beach house somewhere in California. They are separate stories, but connected through the house and some of the neighbours. All three stories had people that were in some way struggling with the past and the stay in the house helped them to move on, each in their own way. Very subtle descriptions and dialogues make that one cares for the persona, which the ...more
Rachael
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy of Return to the Beach House from Goodreads

I really enjoyed this book. My favorite beach house visitors were Alison and her grandson, Christopher. They were staying for a month to spend time together before he went to college. I also enjoyed Matthew and Lindsey's story. They are both photographers that travel extensively for their jobs and were trying to figure out if their relationship was going to work. The story of the 4 college friends getting back together was my least
Lisa
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another fairly light, easy-to-get into summer read. I had read the first book in the series and liked that one slightly better as I liked the characters better but this book was good too. Similar to the first book, each section of the book covers a month and we meet the people who are renting the beach house for that month. Some of the stories from the first book were touched upon in this book. While you could still enjoy this book without reading the first book, I don't think you'd ...more
Margie
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third and I think final book in The Beach House series by Georgia Bockoven. The renters in this book were enjoyable to read. It was fun to see one of the renters in there during the winter season.

This is definitely a great series to take to the beach. With the book divided into renter months, it lets you read each part easily. The book cover really went with the stories inside - being at the beach house and feeling like it was a healing place.

I have a couple more of Georgia Bockovens
bookslovegina
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved reading the other books in this series and this one is no different. I always find myself getting attached to certain characters and their stories. I couldn't get enough of the January couple.

One of the things that I love most about these books is how I feel like I count be friends with every character. They are relatable and it makes me love this book all the more.

Definitely a wonderful book to read in the summer.
Chris
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I liked this book, I thought it was the weakest book of the series so far. The second story seemed way too short and could have been given more detail. It seemed like you were just beginning to learn who the women were and it was done - seemed like that story was just a filler between the other two stories.

• Seabreeze Inn (Summer Beach #1)
  • The Summer Guests
  • Queen Bee (Lowcountry Tales, #12)
  • The Nantucket Inn (Nantucket Beach Plum Cove #1)
  • Seabreeze Summer (Summer Beach #2)
  • Lost Along the Way
  • Feverish (Bullet, #3; Feverish, #1)
  • Nantucket Neighbors (Nantucket Beach Plum Cove series Book 2)
  • Just Breathe
  • Father in Training (Hometown Heartbreakers, #3)
  • Between You and Me
  • California Girls
  • The House by the Cypress Trees
  • Hot Shot (The Men Of The Sisterhood Book 5)
  • Beach House Reunion (Beach House, #5)
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • That Month in Tuscany
  • Whisper Beach
Georgia was a Army child, who after a successful career as a freelance photo journalist before she turned to fiction writing. Published since 1983, she is an award-winning author whose books have sold more than four million copies worldwide. Her romance novel, A Marriage of Convenience, became a CBS movie in October of 1998 starring Jane Seymour and James Brolin.

Married wich John Bockoven, she is

The Beach House (5 books)
  • The Beach House
  • Another Summer
  • The Cottage Next Door (The Beach House, #3.5)
  • The Beach House: Coming Home
“Guilt is the fertilizer that feeds resentment.” 0 likes
“FOREVER. Eighteen years is a long way from forever. He had so much life ahead of him. And it’s not as if he died in isolation. The dreams of all of the people who loved him died with him. His parents might learn to cope with his loss, but they will never recover.” 0 likes