Start by marking “Righteous Gentile: The Story of Raoul Wallenberg, Missing Hero of the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
Righteous Gentile: The Story of Raoul Wallenberg, Missing Hero of the Holocaust

Righteous Gentile: The Story of Raoul Wallenberg, Missing Hero of the Holocaust

The biography of a Swedish diplomat during World War II, who risked his life daily as he provided Swedish passports & papers to thousands of Jewish refugees in Budapest.
Half a century after he disappeared into the Soviet prison system, the fate of Raoul Wallenberg--who saved thousands of Hungarian Jews during the Holocaust--remains a mystery. Following the collapse of the
Published September 21st 1981 by Viking Press (NYC) (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Righteous Gentile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Righteous Gentile

Start your review of Righteous Gentile: The Story of Raoul Wallenberg, Missing Hero of the Holocaust
Cold War Conversations Podcast
An incredible man who went personally up against Eichmann himself armed with nothing but charm, guile and a complete lack of fear.

I'd heard of Wallenberg, but didn't really know much about him.

This book certainly filled the gaps in my knowledge. While serving as Sweden's special envoy in Budapest between July and December 1944, Wallenberg issued protective passports and sheltered Jews in buildings designated as Swedish territory.

His lack of fear may have been the cause of his demise as shortly
Lori
The three star rating is in no way an affront to the story of Wallenberg whose story is truly both a blessing and a tragedy. I just had trouble with the writing style. This book just did not seem to hold my interest as so many other true life holocaust accounts have.
David Hardy
Feb 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone who cares about his fellow human beings in any way at all should read this. A truly amazing read, made all the more so by the fact that it is a true story.
Patricia
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I was impressed and moved by this story. I was not looking forward to this biography but I have been reading the unread biographies on my shelves in alphabetical order and this slight volume was one of the few 'w's. Yes I'm nearly finished the alphabet. It was written in 1981 and I wonder if anything new has been uncovered about Wallenberg's fate since this was written.

The book is divided into two sections. The first section covers a sketchy early life and the work done by the Swedish Wallenber
Valerie
It's probable that Wallenberg died in the gulags. There were reports of him for some time, but there's no credible evidence after the late 50s.

There really needs to be a general exposition of the part embassies played in Hungary during the last days of the War. Wallenberg wasn't acting alone--Sugihara comes to mind, for example.

Until such an exposition is published, readers will have to fit together pieces. This is one such story.
Linda Copp
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible man who saved the life of so many Jews during the last days of WWII. A complete unknown to most of the world. This book needs to be required reading in all high school Literature or History classes.
Kat Young
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing life. Reminded me of the insanity of the Soviets and their actions when they 'freed' people from the tyranny of the Nazis.
Donna
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story is important, but the book was a dry read.
Anna Koczak
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This a heartbreaking, tragic story.
Ingres

• Tree of Souls: The Mythology of Judaism
  • Jewish Masculinity in the Holocaust: Between Destruction and Construction
  • Born Jewish: A Childhood in Occupied Europe
  • 世界から猫が消えたなら
  • Adio, adio, patria mea cu î din i, cu â din a
  • Musisz tam wrócić. Historia przyjaźni Lusi Gelmont i Zuzanny Ginczanki
  • Ina Benita. Za wcześnie na śmierć
  • The Briefcase
  • Hotel Iris
  • Revenge
  • Parade
1 follower
John David Bierman, journalist and author.

John Bierman was one of the last of a generation of buccaneering reporters and writers who pursued successful careers across the media. Newspaper reporter, editor, radio correspondent, television "fireman", documentary maker and, finally, acclaimed historian, Bierman excelled at each, in a working life that reached back to the days of plate cameras and rep