Start by marking “My Dog Is the Best” as Want to Read:
My Dog Is the Best

My Dog Is the Best

What do you get when you combine one energetic, enthusiastic little boy with his sleepy but tolerant dog? Unconditional love. Using simple words and spare illustrations, My Dog Is the Best celebrates the special bond that exists between a young child and a beloved family pet. It’s the heartwarming story of two best friends. . . told by a boy with a very active imagination. ...more
Published June 9th 2015 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about My Dog Is the Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dog Is the Best

Laura Harrison
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am enchanted by My Dog is the Best! It is deceptively simple. The sparse and lovely pastel illustrations and text are perfect for bed and story time. It is a perfect picture book!
Beth  (YA Books Central)
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My Dog Is The Best is a beautiful children's book that is full of natural, light colored drawings that attract children's attention to the book. The simple wording helps young children who are learning to read to be able to understand the story.

I loved the different scenes with the child and his dog. The young boy uses his dog to help him face his fears and sees the dog as his protector. I loved the fireman scene where the dog is helping to save someone! So cute!!

I really enjoyed this cute chil
Sandra
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
enumerates the things the dog can do, like roll over, play ball, or scare away monsters, but in the pictures all we can see the dog calmly laying while bearing the boy's games. The boy thinks his dog is SO special because all the things it can do! But what makes this dog really special is how it patiently loves this little, happy, loving boy.
The illustrations are cutely rounded, focused in the characters, without background.

Age range: 2 to 5 years old.

Check out more children's book reviews in my
Aliza Werner
Dogs are the best, just by being.
Laela
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: silly, picture-books, dogs
I just hugged this book.

It may be because this dog looks like my dog. But the text is cute and the dog is cute and the little boy is cute. I love it.

Hug Hug Hug
Deimante
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rikis really is the best dog. This book shown me that my dog is better.
Tasha
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little boy adores his dog, despite the fact that the boy is full of energy and his dog...well, he's not. When the boy offers the dog a ball, the dog dozes off. The boy then demonstrates the tricks his dog can do, like playing dead. His dog can also roll over, while sleeping. And even turn into a ball, still asleep. The plays tug of war, by lying on the boy's blanket and not moving. And even chase, well, not really. The dog can do so many things, like listen to stories, provide a base for playi ...more
Barbara
There's just something about the love between a youngster and his/her dog. Even when there is nothing particularly special about the animal--at least that others can see--the child and the dog love each other and share a special bond. In this picture book, perfect for sharing with little ones, a young boy describes all the things that his dog does particularly well. Clearly, the dog doesn't do very much since he seems to be napping throughout much of the book. But once the boy has fallen asleep, ...more
Aimee Martin
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My dog is the best

The simple art in this book tells most of the story for this book. The words describe the dog in the boy’s mind. The boy looks no older than two years old and the dog he is talking about is illustrated fat and round. It’s a simple story about a boy and his dog. The whole time the dog is sleeping. The boy thinks the dog is playing with him and doing tricks but he is actually sleeping the whole time until the last page where he wakes up and the boy finally falls asleep.

The perite
Margie
Our neighbors have a new jet black puppy. To say it's energetic would be an understatement. It bounces around in a constant state of motion as if its legs are pogo sticks. They also have an older Golden Retriever who wanders about the yard trying to ignore the relentless invitations from the youngster to play. As the one jumps up and down in the face of the elder, she regally walks away, chin lifted high.

Older dogs, if they so desire, have earned the rightful place in their households to savor
Ricki
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This charming tale will surely win the hearts of many children. It made me feel a bit guilty that I don’t have a dog for my son! I can imagine teachers reading this story aloud to captivated audiences. Teachers might ask students to compare this story with others in their classrooms. The way the illustrator and text focuses on the two subjects makes their friendship shine. You can find an example of the text’s playfulness in the flagged page below. It made me smile! After reading this story, I w ...more
Jana
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The text is simple, but in it's simplicity there is an awesome story about unconditional love and friendship. The illustrations do a beautiful job of capturing the special relationship between this boy and his dog. My husband, who also had a dog he cherished as a child, loved this book. I'm sure this will be a favorite in my 5th grade classroom, as you're never too old to appreciate the story of how special a pet can be.
Kellee
Full review at: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=6516

This book makes me want a dog. I loved this sweet story of a sleepy dog and a rambunctious child who is going to have fun with his dog no matter what the dog thinks about it. The play between the words and illustrations is what really made this book special and made the quiet humor really ring through. I also think that kids are really going to like the end of the book. I cannot wait to read this to Trent!
Adrienne
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My daughter loves this one; she's too young to really get the little twist of the dog being asleep the whole time the child is awake and "playing" with him and then waking up to play with the child as the child goes to sleep, but she still loves the illustrations (which are adorable) and the words.
Cheriee Weichel
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am enchanted by this charming little book. If you just read the text, you will see how much this young boy loves his dog. It's in the pairing of Paul Schmid's illustrations with them that makes the reader smile. As the boy tells us about his dog, we discover that his dog isn't exactly as his words would suggest.
Rachel
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, 2015
Sweet story filled with gentle humor about a boy who loves his dog. As he introduces his dog to the reader, it's quite obvious that the dog best excels at sleeping. Simple, yet lovely illustrations accompany text that invite the reader to engage and explore.
Melissa Neufer
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is adorable. Too adorable. Simple. Easy to read and follow along. Something to just back and enjoy. The humor with the dog is quite funny but shows that even fun and happiness can be found in the simplest things. Love this book. 4 stars.
Courtney Huskisson
Really simple story with adorable illustrations, and perhaps the most accurate picture of a baby and his dog. This is exactly how my niece Olivia and her big doggy plays together :). Will definitely use for story time with her.
Sandy Brehl
Vey simple lines (with pencil sketches visible) and simple, familiar language related to pet dogs make this a book that is both familiar and funny. it will be enjoyed by the littlest lap sitters and their parents, and it would serve well to develop independence for the earliest/emerging readers.
Juliana Lee
Baby thinks his sleeping dog is the best at playing dead, tug, and rolling over. Then when Baby falls asleep on the floor next to dog, the dog wakes up and looks lovingly at the baby. I'm sure he's thinking 'my baby is the best'.
Nancy Luebke
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fast, cute picture book about a boy loving his dog. The boy has a big immagination and the dog just seems to always be there. It makes a fun, early to read book that I think my grandchildren will enjoy.
Sue
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Listed in CCBC Choices 2016 under Picture Books for Babies, Toddlers and Preschoolers. If you've ever had a dog who was a slug, this book relates to your experience. It is a simple story of unconditional love. Young boy imagines all the things his dog could be good at. Sweet spot: Preschoolers
Maree Hodgess
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Dog Is The Best is a wonderful children's book!
The story and the illustrations are quite charming and humorous. My son enjoyed it and loves the cuddly dog featured.
AJ
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Totally squee worthy for anyone who loves dogs and especially anyone who has ever had a very old, tired animal in the house.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

So CUTE! Whimsical illustrations make this a winner
Rebecca
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for baby and doggie books. This one is a winner. Watch this adorable baby show how they love their adorable round dog. Soft illustrations, so much fun and so cute.
Ms. B
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, picture
Future board book? A dog story for the very youngest! With only one short sentence per double-page spread, dog loving caregivers will enjoy sharing this one with their newborns and toddlers.
Kara
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Simple text and illustrations show the bond between a boy and his dog. Good for preschool and younger.
Michelle Gray
Very simple story would work great in a dog storytime for younger children.
Michele Knott
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Told in simple text and illustrations, this book will be loved by young children and dog-lovers!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Extraordinary Jane
  • I'm My Own Dog
  • Homer
  • Mister Bud Wears the Cone
  • Nose to Toes, You Are Yummy!
  • Hickory Dickory Dog
  • A Dog Wearing Shoes
  • Charley's First Night
  • One Pup's Up
  • Dog Days of School
  • Is There a Dog in This Book?
  • Daisy Gets Lost
Laurie writes for children of all ages. She is dedicated to inspiring and empowering young readers through nonfiction and fiction that educates as well as entertains.