Start by marking “The Emergency Sasquatch Ordinance: And Other Real Laws That Human Beings Actually Dreamed Up, Enacted, and Sometimes Even Enforced” as Want to Read:

The Emergency Sasquatch Ordinance collects hundreds of written laws that have been inflicted on humanity by various culprits over the past 5000 years. The laws in this book may be unusual, bizarre, absurd, stupid, or all of the above, but every one of them is real. Unlike some other books of this kind which the author could mention but won't, every law in this one has been ...more
Published December 2013 by ABA Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Emergency Sasquatch Ordinance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emergency Sasquatch Ordinance

John
May 29, 2014 John rated it liked it
The Emergency Sasquatch Ordinance is a collection of strange, bizarre, funny, ridiculous, and inexplicable laws and ordinances that actually exist in various places. The majority of laws discussed in this book come from the United States, but there's a small section dedicated to laws in other (mostly English-speaking) countries. Each law / ordinance is presented with relevant quotes from the law itself, and accompanied with humorous / ironic / snarky commentary from the author.

I've read Kevin Un
Lisa
May 04, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Kevin Underhill, author of the blog Loweringthebar.net, continues to delight readers with a full length book of laws that are often still on the book but make no sense.

I was familiar with the small volumes of "wacky laws" which had sometimes questionable accounts of strange rules that were either currently or used to be actual laws somewhere in the United States. They would often consist of things like "It is illegal in the state of Louisianna to tie up your alligator on the sidewalk" (I just m
Meghan
May 15, 2014 Meghan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I received a copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads and all opinions are my own

Kevin is a real lawyer in San Francisco in the office of Shook, Hardy & Bacon. He has been with them for 20 years, and he is a defense of products-liability and consumer-protection lawyer. He also writes his Legal-Humor blog:
Check out Kevin Underhill's website Lowering The Bar
This is his first book but he has written along with an essay, and his blog. He would also like to have a giant Burmese Python in th
Robert
Sep 18, 2014 Robert rated it liked it
This was a fun book. I do wish that more time had been spent on the earlier periods of time and explaining more of the why and how this law still resonates through time beyond the silliness.

I would also have liked some additional commentary on how some of these laws in modern times have actually fared in the courts. He does often point out several of them that have never actually been challenged.

The links are very well done with all the full references that anyone could ask for.
Alex Lawless
Apr 25, 2016 Alex Lawless rated it really liked it
It was a fun, quick read about some ridiculous laws that either are/were in place or were attempted to be put in place, from ancient to modern times. You don't have to have a law degree to understand what he is talking about; he explains the laws in layman's terms. All in all it was a nice little break from what I normally read.
Dave
Jan 01, 2016 Dave rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
Recommended. Easy to dip into. Surprisingly revealing glimpses into random bits of society and our legal systems. Writing is dry and hilarious. I had a number of laugh out loud moments.
Ian Sirota
Mar 14, 2014 Ian Sirota rated it it was amazing
This book is funny, informative and very well-written. You will enjoy it even if you are not a lawyer, and I highly recommend it!
Josh Kaplowitz
Jun 21, 2014 Josh Kaplowitz rated it liked it
Not bad, but a lot of the laws are pretty ho-hum and not as wild and out there as it tries to make it seem.
Carlos Duarte do Nascimento
Not nearly as fun as the author's blog, but still a fun read.
Scott
Jan 19, 2014 Scott rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I know the author. However Mr. Underhill's credentials as a humorist have been long confirmed on his blog "Lowering the Bar."

But you know I wouldn't be writing a review if I didn't think this is a very funny book, thoroughly researched, and and written with a great ironic sensibility. He has chosen laws made by societies through the centuries and combines fact with humor. All broken into small sections that make it easy to pick up. You'll like it.

Ben
May 03, 2015 Ben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: law
Delightful casual read.
Jan 30, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This was hilarious. The writer not only finds obscure and seemingly ridiculous laws, but also, the commentary he makes is a riot. It's not the kind of book that keeps you reading constantly, but it is something fun to pick up and put down when you're constantly being interrupted.
Marie
Jul 04, 2014 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, funny
A collection of silly laws, old and new.
Mike Klein
Aug 17, 2014 Mike Klein rated it liked it
A quick read that is fairly fun. It sometimes just goes for the easy laugh, when a little work in why some dumb law was passed might have been even funnier or at least added some depth. Probably get just as much enjoyment occasionally just reading the blog that this is based on.
Kristin
Sep 04, 2014 Kristin rated it it was ok
I'm sure this book is funny if you are a lawyer. But not being a lawyer I thought it was tedious and uninteresting (save for the law that requires expert witnesses to dress up as Wizards and the one that saluted the Boston Strangler).
Lauren
Some of these are funny, but others were odd. There are even more sadly and would like them in here.
Nancy
Mar 17, 2016 Nancy rated it it was ok
Strictly bathroom reading that was only slightly humorous.
Abraham Ray
Apr 30, 2015 Abraham Ray rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trivia
good book of weird laws!
Chris
Jan 02, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
A fun, quick read.
Kyle Walton
Kyle Walton marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
C
C rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Annie
Annie rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Gary DeYoung
Gary DeYoung rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Jørgen Kann
Jørgen Kann marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Hendel
Hendel marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Themba
Themba marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Adam Yeaton
Adam Yeaton rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
  • Homemade Nail Polish: Create Unique Colors and Designs For Eye-Catching Nails
  • A Dangerous Master: How to Keep Technology from Slipping Beyond Our Control
  • Sonic / Mega Man: Worlds Collide, Vol. 1: Kindred Spirits
  • True North: Peary, Cook, and the Race to the Pole
  • Slight Mourning (Inspector Sloan #6)
  • How to Live Dangerously: The Hazards of Helmets, the Benefits of Bacteria, and the Risks of Living Too Safe
  • The Queen, Her Lover and the Most Notorious Spy in History: The intriguing true story of Queen Victoria's secret
  • The History of the World: From the Dawn of Humanity to the Modern Age