Start by marking “Caged: Love and Treachery on the High Seas (Baal's Heart, #1)” as Want to Read:
Caged: Love and Treachery on the High Seas (Baal's Heart, #1)

Caged: Love and Treachery on the High Seas

(Baal's Heart #1)

Newly-edited release - August 11, 2014

Novel (123,100 words)
Genre(s): Historical Fantasy, Erotic Action/Adventure, Polyamory, LGBT+/GSM

Sheltered and lonely, Jon's life changes drastically when a strange ship sails into the harbour of his small port town one day. Trapped between the possessive pirate captain and his murderous first mate, he must learn to adapt or he will
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 423 pages
Published February 11th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Caged, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Bey Deckard
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Caged: Love and Treachery on the High Seas (Baal's Heart, #1)
Nancy
Cross-posted at Outlaw Reviews and at Shelf Inflicted

The story begins with the sad life of Jon. His mom died of the weeping plague and his dad died in a fall. Jon is frail and sickly, suffering from migraines and persistent bad dreams. Unsuitable for hard physical labor, Jon’s indifferent stepfather felt his unusual empathic abilities would come in handy to help determine the guilt or innocence of the prisoners locked up in the castle’s dungeon. Jon’s next task is to help discover who is
SheReadsALot
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Myself; fans of The Red King; DMC
Before reading- PIRATES?!

BDSM?!!

MM??!!!!!

DID THE BOOK DEITIES HEAR MY PRAYERS?!!!

I am in cloud one million, right now!! I'm floating!!!!!

Swashbuckling BR with Cupcake! Thanks for joining *coughs* I might have coerced...but she liked it! Honest! Ignore any wayward grumbles. :P

After reading?: 5 HEARTS--When you learn that there is a book that you've ached to read about actually written and quite masterfully...

...a treasure. It's not a book for everyone but hearties....this book was made for me!!
Shurrn
Brilliant from start to finish!
"It's probably difficult for you to understand. However... as inexperienced and as... conventional as you are, you have to realize that you're not a blushing maiden, and I'm not an evil pirate king here to sweep you off your feet and force you to resign your body to me."
Prepare yourself, because I fucking LOVED this book and I have a lot to say about it.

To be completely honest, I'm a little surprised by how much I enjoyed it - You see, I'm not generally a
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
description

ARRRR! My BR adventure with Baby!

I admit it. I’m a sucker for this trope-the downtrodden who finds a home and family, one not borne of blood, and blossoms like a flower in spring. I love it. It gets me every time. Every. Single. Time. AND they’re kinky too? Kinky pirates, no less. Shut the front door! I mean… it doesn’t get much better than that.

Jon and Baltsaros’s romance is non-traditional to be certain, but no less arresting. However, a great romance is a great romance is a great romance.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

**3.5 stars**

This is most certainly not a Heather-book.

From reading the synopsis, I was instantly intrigued. I mean, gay pirates!? So much fun! I immediately thought of Exit Strategy, if anyone has read that, and, in truth, there are a lot of similarities. I was anticipating a fun read and was ready to go with my eye patch and bandana. However, this book ended up being a lot tougher than I had anticipated for me.

One of my main issues
Sheziss
First of all, I love pirates and of course, by loving pirates I mean I adore the Romantic kind we find in a book and not the real one. The kind of pirates José de Espronceda wrote about in my favorite poem:

My treasure is my gallant bark,
My only God is liberty;
My law is might, the wind my mark,
My country is the sea.

This is a spectacular trilogy and the first volume couldn't have been better.

And needless to say, Bey Deckard is one my little treasures of this year.

Honestly, I'm not fond of
Bey Deckard
Feb 20, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to rate my own book because of bias, but I'm going to review it. It's a good book. I think it's great for being my first attempt at writing a full-length novel. My own take is this: Lots of angst, three lost souls, lots of sex, complicated characters, and plot twists. Add to that a love of boats, deep respect for the ocean, and a fascination with the darker side of human nature, and you have a book that skirts the line between serious historical fantasy and shameless smut.
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 5 ++++++++++++
Audio Book: Michael Ferraiuolo – 5+++++++++
Book Cover: 4.5

Take a little of this

and a little of that

and I still not be able to tell you what this book made me feel

In fact, I’m still all over the place. And the one thing concrete thing I CAN tell you about this book, is that it made my all-time-favourite list with bells-a-ringing!

You have to experience this for yourself. No amount of review reads or chat sessions will live up to the
SheReadsALot
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Me! Pirate fans who like dark and kink!
When the right book is narrated by the right narrator: MAGIC!

5 Stars--I loved Caged when I first read it few years ago. (A more detailed review link) These pirates are definitely on my top list. You end up holding favorite characters on a pedestal, as did I. So when it's narrated, you just want it to be perfect.

Consider me a fan of Michael Ferraiuolo's narration after my first experience!

The narration was masterful. I was hesitant on the voice of Jon in the beginning but Ferraiuolo's Tom and
Chelsea
Reread: Feb 2017 - Audiobook Addition - Wow that was a fantastic audiobook! I don't usually listen to books I've previously read, (especially if I loved the book) because a lot of the time the voices don't match what was in my head. Here they seemed to enhance the story even more. I loved all the accent changes for Baltsaros, Tom and Jon. I think these voices suited the characters to perfection. I wasn't planning on rereading Sacrificed: Heart Beyond the Spires because it was pretty dark the ...more
Vivian
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica-hist
Obsession is hard to give up, or how I made my dysfunctional relationship work.

Baltsaros, psychopath with a physic's knowledge.
Tom, smiling sociopath who is the right hand man.
Jon, sickly empath whose talent is desired and then some.

Pirates? Okay, coming from the seas of Blackbeard I really was expecting more pirate action. Technically, there were no acts of piracy. Mayhem, murder, kidnapping, and various acts of violence--but not on the open sea. The one big battle scene happened on land :(

Shin Mon Thway
As you can see, it took me almost 3 weeks to finish this book since I stopped reading when I reached 85% of the book and continued only after about 2 weeks.

I also really don’t know how I feel about this book. First of all, this is a ménage book and I started reading this without knowing it was one. This book was highly recommended by most of my friends and seemed very appealing so I gave it a shot.

So there are 3 MCs, Captain Baltsaros, his first mate Tom and a young lad called Jon.

Bal is
Lost in a Book
ALLLLLL THE STARS!!!!

This is me after finishing this book:

YAS.gif

This is me knowing the second and third book are already out:

YAS.gif

This is me knowing I'm about to jump right into Tom book 2.

YAS.gif

I'm too eager to start book 2 so a full review isn't coming. But Baby said it all in her review. Check it out.

This is future me (in about 2 minutes) cracking open the next one.

bye.gif

P.S. The audio on this is AMAZING!!! Michael Ferraiuolo did a fabulous job bringing these characters to life.

Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I read this on a flight from DC to Phoenix. I was completely absorbed in it. The characters were rich, mysterious, fallible, and real. No shying away from a bit of controversy and some kinks not perhaps held by all. While this book has BDSM it is not about it at all. No BDSM 101 here. It's all about personalities and circumstances and what happens when you discover what you thought is not what is. It's a great length - bit of swashbuckling and even great female characters who get some "screen ...more
Plainbrownwrapper
I received a review copy of this book via Goodreads' "Don't Buy My Love" program in exchange for an honest review.

This is a good tale, which is unfortunately hampered by both first-book-itis and self-published-itis. Deckard obviously has talent, and I hope to see great things in his future books. Now, for the rest of the story —

Let me 'splain... No. There is too much. Let me sum up.

First, One of my pettest of pet peeves: FOR GOD'S SAKE, HIRE AN EDITOR. Seriously, people: readers are PAYING FOR
Lori
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Team Tom.

Oh wow - what a book.One of my favourite book series is The Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch, this book really reminds me of that series (especially Red Seas Under Red Skies - but with the added bonus of a more-than-friends relationship between the main characters.

The world building and set up was wonderful. It was so easy for me to imagine this world they lived in, the harshness, the debauchery...the mainland, sea and islands. It was all there, descriptions
Al
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Piss kitty!!
Lots of lovely dirty pirate sex, and interesting juxtapositions of the pirate sausage. I didn't really get any of the characters but after all, it's not an exam. Tom!! Very luscious character.

Trio
I was totally blown away by this book. The story was so vast and had so many twists - I loved the author's style of backtracking and explaining events, it was completely wonderful. The characters and their relationships were so interesting and the way they grew with the story was done incredibly well. Just an absolutely fantastic read. Can't wait to read the next in the series!
Monique
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
 photo Caged .jpg

Joint Review with Macky

Monique: Macky and I have no words for this series… we were both completely awestruck with the superb writing of Bey Deckard and blown away by the brilliant story line he so cleverly captivated us with. If you like a sexy pirate or two… well actually three, with an unconventional love story and adventure on the high seas, then this book is a MUST READ. Occasionally, we come across a book that totally outshines even those five star reads, or those that sit on our
Kristen Burns
5 Stars

Review:
Polyamorous pirates who are terrible people but super interesting characters! It's like someone asked me to list a bunch of things I wanted to read about and then combined them all into one book! And it was amazing! Truthfully, I was hesitant going in because things like BDSM and an abundance of sex and horribly unhealthy relationships are more often "miss" than "hit" with me, but as I said, this turned out to be everything I've been wanting but had given up on finding, like...

Ann
What a bunch of wonderfully fucked up characters!

This story was, in turn, exhausting, arousing, stressful, heartbreaking and humorous. Every time they did something completely sociopathic I couldn't help but shrug and think, "Well. Pirates." and all was well.

I don't think I've read a book where 2, well 3, characters complimented each others crazy and humanity better. It's a good thing they found each other or their world would be a much more dangerous place.

I can. not. WAIT. for the next one!

JustJen "Miss Conduct"
edited to add Audio review - 12/29/2016

4.5 star review by The Blogger Girls.

Wow, where to start with this one. This called to me right away, from the cover and the blurb, it just sounded like my kind of story, and I wasn’t disappointed. It is everything that the blurb leads you to believe and then some.

It starts out with poor Jon, who already is suffering because of his life and the horrible migraines he has been getting. Then, he is taken captive by a pirate captain, Baltsaros, who is already
Tina

Shiver me timbers! This one was a surprise!

The title, the cover, the blurb…. it all seemed to add up to a fantastic adventure involving guns, swords and hot pirates.

Did I get what I wanted? Hell YESSS!

Baltsaros, the hot as hell captain is a cuel, deeply flawed, inscrutable man… yet still cute Jon feels attracted to the pirate and his first mate Tom.

The story is fast paced, violent, action-packed and full of hot pirate-sex… and let me tell you, the sex is not always vanilla…

Halfway through the
Sunny
4.5

An unconventional romance with an often darker storyline. The darkness centers mostly around the captain and his interactions with the other characters. Complex, compelling characters, complete with some not so pretty attributes. The captain, in particular, could be so gentle, and in the next moment, incredibly rough or even brutal. The romance comes in those same interactions, though, as the MCs are affected by each other in ways they weren't expecting.

I was impressed with the
Dee Wy
Finally, a REAL pirate story with a bad-ass Captain who appears to have no heart for much of the story and even a female pirate with a wife waiting for her at home. I was completely taken with Jon's story of misery and illness living with his heartless step-father who simply uses him for his unusual ability to "read people" and their intentions. When Jon is captured by pirates, it's not at all clear if that is a good thing even after Captain Baltsaros heals his illness.

This story kept me
Macky
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

JOINT REVIEW WITH MONIQUE

Fifi LaFleur
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wowsa. Finished a re-read last night just in time for book 2! I love this book! It is a great read that starts on a slow intense burn that never fizzles. The tone from the start is dark and broody and lured me in instantly.

The characters are rendered brilliantly. Three dimensional and changable, they feel human and real and make all the mistakes and irrational decisions that come with it. They grow and change steadily throughout the book as events alter them in subtle ways.

The quotes at the tops
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
****Beware! The blurb for book 2 of the trilogy has a spoiler for this book (book1).

Warning: brief lady bits (a no-no for some mm readers) polyamory (mmm) disturbing characters who commit disturbing acts (one a sociopath without any whiff of remorse, another is possibly a psychopath who just doesn’t know he should feel remorse). There is also a “taboo” element and on-page gore.

This book and the second are currently in KU

Wow!

I just read a couple of reviews from people with whom I keep up on GR
DarienMoya

If there is a series you ever decide to listen to, let this be the series. There is nothing better than this narration, NOTHING.

description
AliciaJ
Holy shit-this was amazing! I loved it from start to finish. There were some parts that were a bit hard to get thru, but hey-it's a pirate story. Blood, guts, gore, and other gory stuff should be expected. I absolutely adored the characters, especially Tom. The boy just stole my heart. To have gone through the torture and torment that he went thru and still be able to laugh, well, I was definitely a fan.

I'm definitely going to be buying the rest of the books in this series, I can't wait to find
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Don't miss these character interviews 1 6 Apr 20, 2015 12:47PM
A Million More Pages: 1 - Caged: Love and Treachery on the High Seas (Baal's Heart): Feb 15 20 24 Mar 02, 2015 10:09AM
Ahoy Mateys! It' a Buddy Read! 41 24 Jun 11, 2014 06:25PM
Read a 25% excerpt 1 7 May 24, 2014 06:03AM

• Loser Takes All (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #1)
  • Puppet/Master (The Vale Chronicles, #1)
  • Test of Endurance (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #2)
  • Prized Possession (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #4)
  • Sideline Submission (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #3)
  • More Than Blood (Blood #1)
  • Don't... (Don't... #1)
  • Bringing It Home (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #5)
  • Now You See Me
  • Pendulum (Kingdom of Night, #1)
  • One Man's Trash (The Heretic Doms Club, #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • NoX
  • Wrong Way Home - Criminal Delights: Taken
  • Their Bounty (Four Mercenaries, #1)
  • Love of the Egoist (Egoist #1)
  • When All the World Sleeps
  • Under His Heel (Under His Heel, #1)
Artist, Writer, Dog Lover

Bey Deckard is the author of a number of novels including the Baal’s Heart books, Max, Beauty and His Beast, and Better the Devil You Know.

Bey lives in Montréal, Canada where he spends most of his time in the company of a handsome mutt named Murphy. When Bey’s not writing, he’s doing graphic work, painting portraits, speaking French, cooking tasty vegetarian eats, or

Baal's Heart (3 books)
  • Sacrificed: Heart Beyond the Spires (Baal's Heart, #2)
  • Fated: Blood and Redemption (Baal's Heart, #3)
“What do I see? I see a man who has higher and thicker walls than I will ever have. I see a terrifying beast enveloped and hidden by a cleverly fashioned mask. I see tears that will never fall. I see blood and death. I see a heart that devours itself. I see the promise of a pain and deceit. I see a lot of things, Baltsaros. Many of them frightening,” Jon said.

Baltsaros showed no surprise over Jon’s words. Instead, he leaned towards him, intrigued. “And you’re not afraid,” he said.”
7 likes
“The first mate slid, almost bonelessly, down the wall. Baltsaros shoved his softening cock almost angrily back into his pants; he felt strangely unsatisfied and frustrated. Tom looked up at the captain with wet, red eyes as Baltsaros undid the belt that was looped around him.

What was it about Jon that had him so wound up?”
6 likes