Start by marking “Double Reverse” as Want to Read:
Double Reverse

Double Reverse

Jesse is experienced as a wide receiver --but can he play against type and help his new team as a quarterback?
The Franklin High Panthers need a new quarterback. Freshman Jesse Wagner knows the plays, but he feels he is too small to be QB material. Jesse's brother Jay has a problem of his own: his college coach wants him to switch from quarterback to safety. The brothers ag
Published August 1st 2014 by Peachtree Publishers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Double Reverse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Reverse

Ms. Yingling
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jesse is on the freshman football team, and they are struggling to find a good quarterback. Jesse thinks he knows the plays and would work hard, but he doesn’t feel he LOOKS like a quarterback. His brother Jay, who is off playing at Dartmouth, is the quarterback in the family, but he finds that there are lots of good players at college and he is not chosen for this prime role. Jesse is, however, and is successful at it, but the team still needs a good kicker. They find one in Savannah, a soccer ...more
Heidi
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While I'm not a huge sports fiction fan I have students who are so I decided to give this a try. I'm glad I did, I found myself quite enjoying it, especially all the football action. The free flowing text works well for a quick read that focuses on the game of football. I can see this being a great book for reluctant readers who love sports. The interactions between the kids, especially the addition of a girl playing football was very welcome. Positive relationships, overcoming long odds, and tr ...more
Sue Poduska
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jesse and his brother, Jay, are both freshmen – Jesse in high school and Jay in college. Jesse is looking forward to being a wide receiver on the JV squad. Jay, star quarterback in high school, assumes he’ll be quarterback at Dartmouth too. This story of realizing one’s potential should speak to everyone. A Junior Library Guild Selection, it is fast-paced and thrilling.
Kris Patrick
Turns out that not only do I not enjoy watching football, I don't enjoy reading about it play by play either.
Nate
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was about how 2 brothers played football together every day, on the high school fields right next to their house. One day, the older brother had to go onto his college career, and play safety (he usually played quarterback for his high-school team). Read the story to find out how the 2 brothers develop, and even switch roles for a change!

Character Strengths: Persistence, Gratitude, Love, and many more.
Travis
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
10/10 good book
Katie Fitzgerald
Ninth grader Jesse has never seen himself as a quarterback. That position belongs to his older brother, Jay, who looks the part. When Jay is not named quarterback on his college team, however, Jesse begins to question whether players should be pigeonholed and takes on the challenge of playing quarterback for his own freshman team, while also encouraging a female classmate to join the team as kicker.

Fred Bowen writes a regular sports column for children in The Washington Post, and his background
Maryann Skaritka
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great football themed book with a great message. Fall holds many new changes for brothers Jay and Jesse Wagner.

Jay, a star high school quarterback is off to Dartmouth for his freshman year. Jesse is starting high school and is on the Panthers football team.

The Panthers want to have a winning season but when their quarterback gets sidelined due to injury, its suggested that Jesse might become the next quarterback even though he does not look like one. He is shorter, not very big but he
Lorie
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jesse and his older brother Jay are both on new football teams this year as they transition into high school and college they are now asked to play positions that they hadn’t thought about before, Jay a quarterback is now on defense and Jesse steps up to fill in for the injured quarterback on his freshman team. Jesse succeeds more than he could have ever imagined even though he is not the right size for a quarterback earning him the respect of his teammates and coach.
This middle grade sports sto
Angie
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
So sports books really aren't my thing and this one wasn't really that different. I can see it finding fans with sports-loving boys, but I really wanted a bit more plot. It was more football plays than plot. The book tells the story of Jesse who is starting freshman football with a team that has a terrible quarterback. Jesse's brother Jay has always been the quarterback in the family but he is off playing college ball. When the quarterback is injured Jesse decides to try out even though he doesn ...more
Carolyn Injoy
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sports fan, football
Recommended to Carolyn by: NetGalley
Shelves: reviewed, 2015-read
I received a free kindle copy of Double Reverse by Fred Bowen, published by Peachtree Publishers from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

I gave this football oriented story four stars. I liked it because it referenced Fran Tarkenton, the Scrambler. It also made clear that just because someone doesn't 'look' like they could play a position, it didn't mean they wouldn't be good at it.

Jesse who played wide receiver, had lived in the shadow of his older brother, Jay, who played quarterback. Aft
Michael
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
Everyone who plays team sports has to face the priority question at some time. Are you a quarterback, or a football player? Are you a member of the offense, or a member of the team? But in Fred Bowen's latest, priorities get challenged, stretched, and tied in knots when a soccer defenseman becomes a goalie to become a football player to become a kicker and end up as a running back?? And SHE's not even the main character! Keep your eye on the ball in this high-fun, high-action sports tale.
For mor
Mary
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Football? I am not a fan, but I really liked this book. It is an easy middle school book, but some older teens will find it entertaining. Bringing a girl in as the kicker and then Bowen's statistics on girl players in the U.S. really was interesting. All the illustrations of the plays and the descriptions made this sport much more understandable!
Elizabeth Finney
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Worried that I can't judge the football game aspects of the book - and a relatively straightforward we've-seen-it-before sports plot, with some twists - but I really liked the main theme of this: that it doesn't matter what you look like, if you can play the position - and well done sports book. And, hello! Sports book! Well-written sports book is like gold!!
Rebecca
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
You've got to know a lot of football lingo in order to understand this entire book. It did a great job of beginning to get rid of stereotypes in the game and was a fast paced read. Football lovers should enjoy it!
Lynne Holcombe
May 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Jesse and Jay are brothers who lived for football and were both great at their positions until they both find themselves in a situation where they must learn to try other positions in order to help their teams.
Kim
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although I am not at all into football, this is a perfect book for children who do love the sport and might be looking for a book to peak their interest. Football plays are discussed in lots of detail; when my brother's were young, this is a book they would have enjoyed.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
This freshman team proves that not all football players look the part. Doesn't mean you don't have what it takes to win.
Chris
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Realistic sports fiction about a freshman boy who learns that the football team overall is more important than the position you play.
Alice
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Realistic sports writing with sure kid-appeal. Thumbs up.
Book Buying With Katie
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: yhba
It takes a whole lot for me to like a sports book, but it is a good example of the genre. There's a girl football player in it!
Kristin Sager
Lisa
Jun 11, 2016
Lane Lapp
Sep 11, 2014
Gaithersburg Book...: 2015 Author Fred Bowen on You Tube 1 1 Feb 10, 2017 10:09AM
Fred Bowen is the author of Peachtree’s popular Fred Bowen Sports Story and All-Star Sport Story series. A lifelong sports fanatic, he has coached youth league baseball, basketball, and soccer. His kids’ sports column “The Score” appears each week in the KidsPost section of the Washington Post. Bowen lives in Maryland.