Start by marking “The Samurai: The Philosophy of victory” as Want to Read:
The Samurai: The Philosophy of victory

The Samurai: The Philosophy of victory

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The Samurai code of honor is deeply ingrained in the Japanese culture and influences it to this day. This book presents extracts from Samurai manuals, such as A Book of Five Rings, Code of the Samurai, and Hagakure, as well as extracts from Samurai literature, such as Comrade Love of the Samurai, to help individuals form a general picture of the Samurai. This book explains ...more
hardback, 156 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Barnes & Noble Publishing, Inc. (first published November 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Samurai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Samurai

Jori Richardson
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked this book up in Barnes & Noble's, enticed by the beautiful and epic looking cover, and read it in the cafe. I loved it! I have read many books about Japanese history and culture, but never one that ingrained the samurai so well into present-day culture and relevance.
Concentrating on bushido, the rigorous Samurai code of honor that translates literally as "the way of the warrior," this book also includes a lot of history, philosophy, and military strategy.
I also loved all of the colo
Adrianna
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
In my opinion "The Samurai: The Philosophy of Victory" is an introductory book to the philosophies, fables, stories, and values of the Samurai. Snippets of literature and Samurai manuals make it interesting reading for the newcomer to the philosophy of the Samurai. Colorful stories, lovely illustrations and the manner it was presented made me feel I was seated at the feet of a wise man relaying bits of stories. This book has accomplished the task for which I purchased it and will be added to my ...more
Alicia Franklin
The illustrations were absolutely gorgeous in this book and the most interesting part was reading about the 18 steps a samurai took to get dressed in his armor! The whimsical stories were entertaining and the account of seppuku was gut wrenching. Other than that, I found this book to be repetitious. The premise of the book was promising, but I was hoping for a stronger focus on the samurai, detailing what they believed and highlighting important samurai and how they left their mark in history.
Lee
May 01, 2008 added it
So help me God, I only bought this because it was on special and I wanted the pictures and some of the buke-sho hatto. It's fun, all right, but on absolutely no planet is it serious scholarship. You really want to get most of your information from Stephen Turnbull or Kure Mitsuo or Sato Hiroaki or someone else.
Sean
Nov 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: AD/HD sufferers
Shelves: budo
Because it includes a small collection of excerpts from prominent texts on the subject, I gave this 2 stars. I get the feeling this book was put together by someone who hangs out at Renaissance festivals in a kimono and loves the movie "The Last Samurai".
Yosep
May 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
It had a lot of interesting information. However it was extremely redundant and explained things in great detail that did not need explaining. I really feel like 80% of the text in this book was filler to make it long enough to constitute it being a book.
Joshua
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There were quite a few sections in the book that can be translated over to modern life & living. I plan on trying to embrace quite a lot of the philosophies of the Japanese Samurai ideologies.
Billy Ferrara