Start by marking “The Botanist” as Want to Read:
The Botanist

The Botanist

Published March 31st 2015 by Jolly Fish Press

To ask other readers questions about The Botanist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Botanist

Sophie
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You can also find this review on my blog Seamless Reader.

I received an e-arc from the author.

It's been quite a while since I've read any adult fiction books. Especially mystery/thriller books. And frankly, my desire to read that specific genre has significantly diminished for some reason. It's not that I'm indifferent towards it because I actually really enjoy it. It's just that I've kind of forgotten about it, I guess.

Upon reading the synopsis for The Botanist, my first thoughts
Jessica Nicole
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
*WARNING* This is probably the darkest book I have read. There are lots of descriptions of torture, violence…so if you are easily squeamish, I don't recommend picking this book up. If, however, you love a good crime thriller, with horrible serial killers and cops bringing justice to horrid criminals, read on, you brave soul.

I don’t really read police procedural/mystery type books; I love shows like Bones and Castle, so I
Rebekah
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I blame L.K. Hill for my sleepless night and panic as I read The Botanist! Oh my Goodness!! Heartbeating fast. I even had dreams about something happening to my girls. That said I LOVED this book. She is an amazing writer.

From the first page turn I was hooked. It was creepy beyond measure. And where did the African-American come from?

Smart writing. Amazing scenery and great dialogue. I'm from a small town and this creeped me out bad. I don't think I'll ever want to break down on a l
Lorraine
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, thriller
A well written, captivating and nail-biting story from L. K. Hill.

Detective Cody Oliver stumbles across a burial site in the desert. From that moment the small town in which he lives descends into a mass of journalists and extra policemen as Cody and his colleagues attempt to track down the serial killer.

Having escaped the clutches of the killer previously, Alex Thompson returns to Mt. Dessicate to remind the investigators of her experience, and finds herself, once again,
Kayla Krantz
So many twists and turns. I felt as if every sentence of this audiobook was laced with suspense and tension. I absolutely adored it.

Alex, on a personal journey down a dark road, runs across the path of a man who’s she’s sure has no business in a police car. After her close encounter, Alex reports the incident, and goes about her life…until four years later when mass graves are uncovered near the spot of her encounter. Desperate to catch a killer and unlock the truth of her personal n
Tony Parsons
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Officer Raspy (CCWP) had stopped Alexandra “Alex” Thompson. The usual license/vehicle registration.
Mt. Dessicate, UT. Alex stopped & gave Detective Cody Oliver (Mt. Dessicate PD) a description of the law enforcement that pulled her over.
Hydrandra Trail/Mountain. Detective Oliver upon investigation stumbles on a strange garden adorned with exotic flowers labled Shakespeare’s Girls.
He inspects it further & uncovers a large amount of bodies buried beneath.
Later, Alex had called Detectiv
Lidia
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my review of the audio version as posted on Audible:

L. K. Hill is a new author to me and I'll definitely look for more books by her.

The premise of the book was intriguing and the star-rating quite high so I suspected it should be good - but what I got was even better than expected. It's not easy to write a book about a serial killer, with so many of those out there already, and make it unputdownable, but Ms Hill did it; she had me glued to my device, forgetting my
Billie
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the heat of the desert, Detective Cody Oliver inadvertently stumbles upon a strange garden adorned with exotic flowers. Upon closer inspection, he finds the garden is but a cover for the scores of bodies buried below. Soon, the small town of Mt. Dessicate plunges into chaos as journalists, reporters, and cameramen from across the nation descend upon the tiny, desert town to get a piece of the murder mystery.
Along with the media, a mysterious woman appears. She may be the only person who
Helen Leecy
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book grabbed me from the first chapter; it was spine tingling and chilling. I wanted to know who the creepy cop was, and was Alex’s gut feeling wrong.
We jump ahead four years to a mass grave being discovered, and everything starts to unravel. Everyone seems to be in danger, and no one knows who the killer is or how to capture him.
This is more than just a crime fiction book; it has mystery and thriller thrown in the mix too. The creepiness from the beginning doesn’t let up and continu
Christine
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Botanist by L.K. Hill is a suspense novel with a twist.  I was given an ARC of this book, so I will assume that the grammar errors will be fixed in the final copy.

The crimes at the center of the mystery are pretty gruesome and disturbing.  The book starts in the past with the heroine, Alex, being pulled over by a cop in the middle of nowhere.  She makes up a story and the cop lets her go, but she is disturbed enough to go to the next town's police station.  There, she meets Cody, the hero.
Al Beard
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would like to give this a five star review, but I just can't. It was a thriller, since it was pretty easy to figure out who the killer was, and the mystery was thinly veiled and easy to figure out a little bit too early because the book is JUST TOO LONG. It was like the writer was afraid to edit. It's easy to fall in love with your words, but this book would have been fine at 75,000 words and still got the point across. The female character's strength and recovery was overblown.

I s
Jaclyn  Amethyst  Mae
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heart-stopping suspense!
The twists and turns are endless, the killer relentless. He’d taken so many lives and I couldn't wait to find out why he was doing this and why Alexandra was so important to him.
You couldn't miss the genuine camaraderie of the police department. Lead Detective Cody Oliver is a man of honor and substance. He’s not only unafraid to delve into the unknown, but his job is also an extension of him, and he has the scars to prove it. He not only solved the mystery of who
Jean
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a way, The Botanist is a mystery within a mystery within a mysterious mountain. That’s as close as I am going to come to spoiling the book for you. There’s banter between police detectives, misunderstandings between parents and children, danger, and a little romance thrown into this book. It’s not a cozy mystery but a pleasant change of pace if you need a breather from thrillers, true crime, history, and other heavier/deeper genres. I am glad I stumbled on L. K. Hill. I think you might enjoy ...more
Anne G. Kasaba
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! First book I’ve read by this author but it sure won’t be my last. I was drawn in from the first sentence and read way too late because I just hated to put the book down.

There’s something strange going on in the small town where nothing much ever happens. It’s not safe with a killer roaming the desert and women disappearing. Detective Cody Oliver is desperately trying to stop him before he kills again.

I received an arc of this book and have voluntarily provided a review.
Magee
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, L.K., you've found another fan! I'm an avid reader and you've made it to my "top five authors " list. The Botanist was quite a ride; unable to put it down. The pace kept me coming back for more and have to say my sleep suffered. Characters were easily identified with, suspense was awesome. Keep 'em coming!!
Regina Lively
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A GOOD, SOLID READ

I’ve never read any of Ms. Hill’s crime novels & greatly enjoyed “The Botanist”. The suspense and action was thrilling. The plot was multi-faceted, and even though I guessed the identity of the man chained in the cave, there was more mystery to come. The main characters, Cody & Alex, were realistic & sympathetic. The ending was satisfying.
Peggy Tree
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written mystery (horror) thriller. I loved it! I liked how the author wrote about police officers with sensitivity Seeing the horrific crimes through their eyes was extremely well done. The serial killer was really horrifying and so creepy. I think it's an unputdownable, exciting, awesome book.
Deedra
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!What a ride.'The Botanist' seems to be after one woman.He has her in his grasp a few times.What she stumbles into will change her life forever.It looses cohesion near the end,but is a really great read. Larry Oblander was a very good narrator. I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review.
Mrs J
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a gripping crime thriller. Could not stop reading it. The characters are so well described. Lots of twists and turns to the story line but I won't give anything away in this review. Want everyone to enjoy the story as much as I did. Would thoroughly recommend
Pat Eroh
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The botanist was an amazingly engrossing story of a deranged serial killer. It's hard to comprehend how someone could be so messed up but it sure made for interesting reading here. It is a great read!

Pam
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book, I've not read anything by this author before, but will certainly look for more now, great characters and a brilliant story line that pulls you in from the start, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Elizabeth Berg
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frightening

This is AWESOME READ. I stayed up late, got up early, had nightmares. I've loved every bit of it. Enjoy!!?
Claudia
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author kept me interested the entire book. Written very thoroughly with fantastic detail. Looking forward to more from writer
N. Gray
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
The creepy cop is made of everyone's nightmares - it reminded me of the movie: Wrong Turn.
The story will make your skin tingle and make you suspicious of everyone, but you will carry on reading.
Laura Basaldua
Well I was expecting a Mystery / Thriller but what I got was a Rom - Com ....
Seriously disappointing considering the story really had a great set up for an excellent Thriller !!
Susan
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Botanist by L. K. Hill Set in the modern day Utah desert in and around the small town of Mt. Dessicate, Detective Cody Oliver has his hands full as lead detective on what may be the biggest serial murder case the state has ever seen. The graves are adorned with blue-tinted tulips, which aren’t native. He only has a handful of clues to go on, including the eye witness report of Alex Thompson, who reported a man in a cop’s uniform acting vaguely aggressive on a certain stretch of highway. It’s ...more
Melodyborgesonhotmail.com
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In a small relatively quiet desert town, Detective Cody Oliver does not see many horrifying crimes. While following up on what a hiker found out in the mountains, he comes across a mass grave. To complicate the situation, a woman who reported a strange man four years prior may be the key to solving the murders and catching the killer, but he has reservations on letting a civilian help on the case. With the whole world watching, he is under pressure to catch the killer before he kidnaps and kills ...more
Karen
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a surprise this book was for me.! This surprise landed in my email, and I am so glad I was able to read it. If you love a good thriller you will probably want to add this to your TBR. It is one hell of a ride!

Cody Oliver is a detective in very small town. Early in his career a woman stopped in to tell him that there was a man she believed to be impersonating a police officer who pulled her over. Years later a mass grave is discovered by a hiker in the desert, around the same pla
Stephanie
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone that likes thrillers
This was masterfully written. I feel like the author gave us more clues than you usually get when reading a thriller throughout the story, and yet she still managed to weave a gripping and compelling story. Having certain things put before us didn't take away from the story but instead spurred you to read on.

Few books I read I feel ever really reach the true status of being a proper thriller but this definitely made the cut. If you love a good mystery/thriller this is a must read.
Jessica Bronder
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Detective Cody is assigned to the mass grave that a hiker finds under a field of blue flowers. Because of the exotic blue flowers the killer is dubbed The Botanist. While investigating, Cody learns of a woman, Alex that filed a report years earlier that may be able to help find the serial killer. Cody is reluctant to let Alex help with the hunt since she is a civilian. But Alex is a strong woman and keeps pace with Cody easily. The real question is if they can catch The Botanist before he strike ...more
Also publishes under K.L. Conger and Liesel K. Hill.

L.K. Hill is a novelist who writes across three genres. Her crime and historical fiction are written under her initials, L.K., while her scifi/fantasy and dystopian are written under her full name, Liesel K. Hill. She lives in northern Utah and comes from a large, tight-knit family. She plans to keep writing until they nail her coffin shut. Or the