Start by marking “Vampires: The Myths, Legends, and Lore” as Want to Read:
Vampires: The Myths, Legends, and Lore

Vampires: The Myths, Legends, and Lore

A thrilling treasury of vampire lore!

Since the seventeenth century, people have been frightened, mesmerized, and fascinated by the terrifying tales of vampires. In this book, you'll uncover the history and mystery behind these bloodthirsty monsters with folklore, mythology, and poetry from every tradition in the world. From the Bosnian Lampir, whose disease-ridden corpse s
Published July 31st 2014 by Adams Media (first published July 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampires

Grace the Book Queen
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is an interesting look at the concept of the vampire and how it has grown and evolved from folklore, books, movies and television. You will definitely learn something new about vampires and even the history of some real life vampires! Recommend for all vampire enthusiasts, you won't be disappointed! There is also a list of books in the back if you want to further your vampire studies.
Carly Nicholas
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was interesting to read, but a bit disappointing due to the lack of in depth information about the lore, legends or folklore from europe to britian about historical or urban legends about vampires or revenants. If you are looking for a extensive and very detailed accounts of vampires then you will feel a bit let down which is a shame, the type of book this is a missed opportunity due to lack of information and doesn't seem very thoroughly researched. There are a lot of accounts of vamp ...more
Blak Rayne
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love vampires, and especially the eroticism associated with them. I own numerous vampire movies and books. My all time favourite motion picture is Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Gary Oldman was spectacular. Another favourite is Underworld. I can’t get enough of Kate Beckinsale and Bill Nighy.
So when I happened across Aubrey Sherman’s Vampires - The Myths, Legends, and Lore, I had to buy it. And I wasn’t disappointed. This small, 224 page, hardcover book was worth every dime. From the wonderful introd
Liselotte Roggeband
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, owned
I'm so happy I finally finished this book!!! This book is ridiculous, basically just read it if you want to play a drinking game: take a shot whenever the author mentions Dracula and you'll be on your way to hospital.
This is an incredibly white book, you can't convince me there are no legends about vampires in Africa, nor can you convince me Dracula was the real OG vampire, because there were TONS before that book.
oh yeah, if you ever wanted to read Dracula, read that book before this one, becau
Siri Olsen
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Probably the best book that I have read about the mythology of the vampire, from tradition to modern media. I especially enjoyed the second chapter, which details different vampiric traditions from around the world. I do think that the book could have gone into greater detail from time to time, since most of the book is more of a quick introduction to different themes under the vampire umbrella than a thorough analysis. Still, it was an enjoyable read and certainly in the better end when it come ...more
Kristine
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Would've like a stronger conclusion and more organization throughout the book. I still enjoyed the theming of the book (text, pictures, etc) and I think there is a good amount of folklore and history, which I felt was lacking in the wizards book. Sherman gives a thorough and comprehensive overview of the history and evolution of vampires, but I'm just left wanting more depth. Also, the chapter regarding all the serial killer 'vampires' freaked me out.
DVDMSN
Mar 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
It's like a list of Wikipedia entries and anecdotes - just a little better written.

No analysis, neither of cultural signification (of myths), nor of aesthetical feeling (of books, movies, etc.).
Crystal Mckain
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vampires by Aubrey Sherman
Absolutely Amazing read. It all about vampires from myths and legends from a range of different countries to vampire hunters to vampires in literature and Films. If you are into vampires this is a must read.
Hannah Thomas
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This was a fantastic read! The author went into a lot of depth about vampires when it came to its origins, history, etc. She began with how vampirism came to be through the very basic religion and then expanded from there: describing what other nations thought of vampirism. A lot did involve Bram Stoker's Dracula, the classical vampire tale. On top of this, other vampire works were created and mentioned. As time went on, she talked about how society developed new vampires. For example, the energ ...more
Irène
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Très bien documenté, complet et extrêmement intéressant
Katie Gaughan
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved every last page of this book. A joy to read.
Mary Drover
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: magic-research
Ugh, this dragged toward the end. This is not the first in this series that I’ve read (I think I’ve also read the faeries and dragons one?), but I think it’ll be the last. The first half of them is usually pretty good, delving into the origins, looking at where the mythical creature appears in different cultures, and taking about their traits. And then, for some reason, the second half just repeats itself? Like, honestly, it was talking about vampire hunters, and it would retell all of the previ ...more
Stormcrow
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is probably meant to be more of a reference book than something read cover to cover, nevertheless, I slowly made my way through it from start to finish. Being a treatise on vampires with many short anecdotes, it gets incredibly repetitive (they found the body, cut off off its head, stuffed his mouth full of garlic... two pages later: they found the body, cut off off its head, stuffed his mouth full of garlic... etc.)

Not to say there aren't some interesting tidbits here and there, but
Wendy Mills
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating and entertaining read. The author not only gives you in-depth information about the varied legends revolving around vampires, but also about witches and werewolves too, and how they co-relate to one another. Also included are many pop references from some of the most known paranormal, horror, and suspense authors like Laurell K. Hamilton, Anne Rice, and Bram Stoker. A must have reference book for anyone who loves vampires.
Ghislain
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Au final, une première moitié de livre très intéressante puis une seconde bien moins palpitante. Le chapitre très décevant sur le jeu vidéo et les vampires étant certainement le pivot dans la baisse d'intérêt. La première partie se présente comme une archéologie du vampire. L'approche ethnologique est tout à fait pertinente. La seconde prenant davantage un angle sociologique teintée de délire type "guide de survie" est bien moins convaincante.
Lannoy 29
Intéressant mais inégal

Je dois dire que la première moitié de l'ouvrage est plus intéressante que la seconde. Le court chapitre concernant le jeu vidéo est très décevant et marque la césure et le début d'une perte de régime. En effet, l'ouvrage quitte alors sa dimension ethnologique.
Naomi Ruth
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Eh. It was okay. I always want more from these series. More organized, more info, less repetition. But it as mostly good. There was some disturbing info about those who think they really are vampires. Some images that I will never be able to get out of my head. *shudders* I'd prefer more about the folklore/mythology/lore part than the pop culture stuff, so that was frustrating.
KayLynn Zollinger
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Anyone who loves vampires and wants to learn more, should read this. It's like a 'Vampires for Dummies' book but so much classier. Refers to lore as well as pop culture. I learned so much interesting historical tidbits and have about 20 new books and movies added to my lists!
Lorian Jones
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This book were required for me to read in class. I learn some of the cool things in each chapters and also I love when this book talk about my favorite author Anne Rice and her books.
Jasmine
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
The essentials about vampires.
Izamary
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books
it was interesting and very informative about were it all originated from according with other authors and legends.
Brock
Dec 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Fairies: The Myths, Legends,  Lore
  • Dragons: The Myths, Legends, and Lore
  • The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the Winter Solstice
  • Irish Fairy and Folk Tales
  • Nice Shot, Cupid! (Myth-O-Mania, #4)
  • Pay the Piper (A Rock'n' Roll Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Writing and Selling the YA Novel
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws, Volume 7: Last Call
  • The Calling
  • Monkey Portraits
  • The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey
  • The Book of Christmas (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Chocolate Cake Sutra: Ingredients for a Sweet Life