Start by marking “Dream Brother” as Want to Read:
Dream Brother

Dream Brother

Alternate cover edition for B00HNW967G

San Francisco, California. Fifty hills surrounded by the cold waters of the ocean and the bay. City of rebellion and revolution. Smothered by fog daily.

This is the place where Jacob Gavel grew up, the place he ran away from at twenty, and the place he never thought he’d come back to.

The city’s in the middle of its second financial
Kindle Edition, 1st, 245 pages
Published January 4th 2014

Start your review of Dream Brother
Sara
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Taken from my review on Amazon:
I downloaded this book for my Kindle yesterday. I caught wind of it through the author's blog and thought I'd give it a try. Once I started reading, it was very difficult to put down. This is the story of Jacob, a young man who returns to his home town of San Francisco in an attempt make his life better after leaving his wife. As he moves his belonging into his parent's home, he discovers a startling family secret that had been concealed for almost twenty-five
Mary
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Toxic Combinations

Returning home for Jacob Gavel was bittersweet. Leaving New York and a failed marriage, Jacob reluctantly goes back home to San Francisco only to learn a deep, dark family secret. His parents remained dysfunctional, and became unglued when Jacob read his mother’s journal revealing he had a twin brother who died in her womb. The shocking news added to Jacob’s sad reality of being alone and broke. He accepted a job in a mental health facility, where his mother visited as a
Alexandria Elias
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Mr. Marggrf what a wild twisted, engaging ride you've taken us on! This book is a love poem to San Francisco with it's stunning descriptions of the views, neighborhoods and places that lovers of SF will really enjoy--thank god for that levity because it is also a waking nightmare for the protagonist, Jacob Gavel as he goes on a trip through the city and his own fragile, slightly damaged heart and mind that make this book a true page turner. While the whole book is a great read and very well ...more
Pamela Beckford
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I probably should let this book sit before I write the review. But I'm going to just go ahead.

I heard about this because it was on sale through someone on Twitter. Figured I would take a chance. It was a fast read. Finished it in basically one sitting.

A psychological tale. I felt like this was a nonfiction memoir type book. Jacob came to life in the pages. His self destructive behavior triggered many events.

This is one of those books that leaves you breathless asking "what the heck just
James F. Coyle
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was vastly different from the usual fiction novel. It was almost as if it were a true story disguised as fiction. It was very absorbing particularly with the drug lab descriptions and the mental health field. It was rather slow at points but wound up to quite an unexpected climatic finish. The writing was excellent and totally devoid of typographic or spelling errors. I would strongly recommend it to those who want an entertaining but unconventional read.
Deborah Bowman
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You think you've got it until the end

A great read by Brian Marggraf. It looks like a sad tale of a young guy down on his luck, who only makes things worse for himself by trying to ease the pain of his unresolved past, including his birth and abuse as a child. The dream sequences are vague, yet intoxicating, leading you nowhere or so you think. Listen to the abstract dreams--they reveal the truth that sneaks up on you at the end--the truth you never saw coming. Well done!
Neola
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting story with lots of twist and turns. A tale of how family secrets can have a devastation affect for years. A troubled and dysfunctional family. Did not end with a happy ending like I prefer.
Ketevan Shka
Mar 23, 2017
Ulla Marggraf
Jul 28, 2014
Natalie Winn
rated it did not like it
Jul 23, 2015
Chelsea Jones
Sep 01, 2017
Brian Marggraf has been writing fiction since the fourth grade. His first completed piece: a story about dragons, castles, and knights. Derivative, yes, but at age ten that's ok. In 2002, he graduated from San Francisco State University's creative writing program. His work has been published in Transfer Magazine and The Olive Tree Review. Dream Brother, his debut novel, was released in January ...more