Start by marking “Death By Ice Cream (Pismawallops PTA #1)” as Want to Read:
Death By Ice Cream (Pismawallops PTA #1)

Death By Ice Cream

(Pismawallops PTA #1)

What do you serve when all you have in the freezer is an ice-cold corpse?

JJ MacGregor and her best friend Kitty Padgett struggle to hold the Pismawallops PTA together, and new volunteer Letitia LeMoine isn’t making it any easier. But when Letitia’s strangled corpse turns up where the ice cream bars should have been, things get a whole lot worse. JJ has to shoehorn in a sea
Published March 24th 2014 by CreateSpace (first published March 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Death By Ice Cream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death By Ice Cream

Start your review of Death By Ice Cream (Pismawallops PTA #1)
Melki
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
"That woman was a plague on our island, phony as anything, and whatever she got I'm willing to bet she deserved it."

Oh, how I love it when someone despicable is murdered, someone that EVERYONE hates, and how EVERYONE is suddenly a potential suspect.

I gave up on cozy mysteries years ago, but I used to be a big fan of the genre. I read whodunnits where the sleuth was a hairdresser, a caterer, a home repair goddess, a dog groomer...all plucky gals who had no business solving crimes, yet that's exa
Jemima Pett
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, funny, mystery
Meetings of the High School PTA would have been as relaxed and enjoyable as life on the rest of Pismawallops Island, on Puget Sound, were it not for the shenanigans that follow Letitia LeMoine everywhere she goes. So when the JJ MacGregor’s son is one of the kids who find Letitia's dead body stuffed in the school freezer, everyone has a motive, but JJ has more than that – since the murder weapon appears to be her scarf.

One of the things I dislike about cosy mysteries is the way well-meaning civi
Rodney Carlson
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a charming mystery read. The book follows the adventures of JJ a sarcastic and temperamental mother that has become one of the mainstays of the Pismawallops PTA. JJ tries to get to the bottom of the murder of Letitia LeMoine un-affectionately known as Ms. Loudmouth.

This is a delightful read, and answers important and pondering questions like:
Who in a small town of well-known people would commit such an atrocity?

Why was Ms. Loudmouth such a b… bad person to deal with?

What kind of crazy hu
Charlene
4.5 - 5 stars

I really enjoyed reading this new book.

The cold-hearted pushy new PTA volunteer has been frozen out, having been found by some high school kids in the PTA's ice-cream freezer in place of the ice cream that should be there for the weekly fundraising sale at the Orcaville School on Pismawallops Island.

Since the Island can only be reached by a substantial ferry ride, the suspicion naturally falls first on all the local people whose dislike of the victim is well known. There are many p
Lisa Frieden
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-books, kids-lit
Death By Ice Cream is a cozy mystery set on Pimsawallops Island, one of the many picturesque islands that make up the Puget Sound in Washington State. I've always imagined life on the islands as peaceful and bucolic, being a mainlander from parts southward, myself. And come on, how dangerous can it be to volunteer at the Orcaville High PTA? Well, think again. Within moments of opening Death By Ice Cream, I encountered a murder at the PTA. From there, Douglass took me on a classic whodunit myster ...more
Dixie Goode
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The fact that Pismawallops PTA is even more fun to say than Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, is only one reason why I would recommend this fun who-dun-it. The characters are real and interesting even if not always, or because they are not always likable. The setting is unique and fun in that it is on an Island and ferry dependent and yet it is also mundane and familiar in that it is a small town school with its inherent gossip and rivalry and intrigue and friendship.

When JJ realizes that she
Ellen
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This was a fun cozy mystery with lots of surprising twists and turns that had me guessing who dunnit and why right up until the end. I loved the idea of having the mystery center on the PTA of a remote island community off of the Washington coast. Who knew helping out at the local high school could be so dangerous?

I really enjoyed the fact that the main character, JJ MacGregor, isn't perfect. She has some rough edges and is going through some rough times, all while trying to solve the murder of
M.G. King
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I always love a good whodunnit, and Death By Ice Cream does not disappoint. There are plenty of suspects to round up (including the main character. whose scarf inconveniently shows up around the victim's neck), and clever twists to keep readers turning the page. Douglas throws in a dash of romance and a good dose of humor to round out this well-paced plot. Hope to visit Pismawallops again soon!
Mary  (Biblophile)
Delightful little cozy with likable characters and a nice little mystery.
Nicole Galbraith
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I won this in a goodreads giveaway. It was a fun quick read and I will read the next in the series. Since moving the the island at the beginning of the school year, Letitia Lemoine has made many enemies by pushing her opinions on everyone. So, when her body is found in the freezer at school, there's no lack of suspects. To protect her friends' reputation, J.J. MacGregor decides to do some investigating of her own, bringing her closer to attractive police chief.
While I liked the book and would
Betty
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Death By Ice Cream This is a new series and a new author for me. Her characters caught my attention in the first chapter. I found I didn't wanted to put the book down. The Pismawallop's PTA board is meeting to decide what to do about an unwanted commenters, Litita. She is causing a lot of trouble and they are looking other volunteers. The next at the Ice Cream sale her body is found in the freezer. An effort is made to frame the protagonist, JJ.IN realizes that she has not seen or heard from hus ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I thought this was a good start to a new series set on an island off the coast of Washington (think Seattle area).

The cast of characters is rather small so I had a hard time figuring out who might have killed Leticia and why (other than the fact that she was pushy!). There are some interesting twists and some that might have you say "ewwww" but all in all a good book and this sets it up nicely for the next book.

I did suspect the killer but not for any strong obvious reason, just that this person
£L£NA ßL¥TH£
Jun 04, 2017
Cozy Mysteries : Large type cozy 12 18 Apr 22, 2018 08:35PM
Cozy Mystery Corner : Pismawallops PTA in Large Type 1 7 Apr 20, 2018 10:02AM
Great Middle Grad...: For the parents here 1 16 Jan 10, 2018 08:13PM
Rebecca Douglass grew up in Idaho, Arizona, and Washington states, and now lives near San Francisco. Her passions include backpacking, hiking, books, and running and biking. She works at the library, volunteers in the schools, and is hard at work on her next book.

Pismawallops PTA (3 books)
  • Death By Trombone (Pismawallops PTA, #2)
  • Death By Adverb (Pismawallops PTA #3)