Start by marking “Cinder” as Want to Read:
Cinder

Cinder

A CinderFella Story

Eldon Cinder would give anything to see Prince Xavier one last time, but only women are invited to the royal ball. When the local witch offers to make Eldon female for just one night, he agrees.

One spell.

One night.

One dance.

What could possibly go wrong?

This story also available in print in the anthology Ever After: The Collected Short Works of Marie
Published February 16th 2014 by Marie Sexton (first published February 4th 2012)

Julio Genao
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julio by: MostlyDelores
Shelves: novella
troubling, but excellent.

sexton writes with a light touch here, and it's marvelous.

critically important, also, as there are far too many opportunities for unpleasant implications, like in all the greatest of our culture's fairy tales.

in this case, though, the dark side of the story was plain to see: everything that is everything wrong with being a gay boy in a straight boy's world.

as such, i found myself triggered to fuck and back—weeping my guts out in the last half of it, while a stupid straig
Exina
Cinder is an alternative version of Cinderella, taking place in the same time period, with a genuinely original storyline.

Actually, it could have been a little dirtier. ;) There is only one erotic scene, and it is not even that explicit.

It is a lovely, nice romance, a real fairy tale with magic, a witch, evil cousins, wonderful moments, and a surprising happy end!
He saw me, in a way nobody else in the world did. I was real to him. I mattered. It was the most amazing gift I’d ever been given.
* A Reader Obsessed *
3 Stars

Lovers of fairy tales, specifically a retelling of a classic, should have no problem enjoying this MM short!

Cinder and Prince Xavier meet cute while Xavier is hiding from his obligation to find a wife. However, the dreaded ball waits for no one, and when Cinder is granted entry through the magic of a thankful witch, his being disguised as a girl poses quite the obstacle in saying a proper goodbye to his prince one last time.

This had a really clever solution to these guys’ obvious problem,
Susan
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it

I'll admit, I'm not the most adventurous reader. I like books that make me happy. I need the HEA. Real life can be hard enough as it is. Reading is my escape. I read, well, for the fairy tale.

So, Cinder is kinda the epitome of that, right? It's the M/M Cinderella tale...and on this day, at this hour, in the midst of madness and bruhaha happening in the Ukraine, in Arizona, and even in the M/M social webz of GR, FB, and a certain-author's own Crazytown...it reminded me of why I read and
Lauraadriana
Once upon a time there was a boy named Cinder...He lived with his mean old aunt, and his two spoiled cousins. They made him clean for them, cook for them, and even dress them.

But Cinder was not bitter or unhappy, he found joy in the small things. One day at his favorite fishing spot he met a prince. The prince, Xavier was his name, became his friend. Xavier treated Cinder like someone important, and special they talked, laughed and it was the happiest Cinder had ever been. He was in love...But r
Ami
Warning: a kind of girlie bits because well, Eldon is turned into a female by the witch in order to be able to come to Prince's ball and dances with the Prince. So yes, there are female breasts, but don't worry Eldon stays as male in the end :).

....

I love fairy tales -- yes, I passed my 30th birthday a couple of years ago but I still love fairy tales and happy ever after. Anything with reference or reminders to those fairy tales I know as a kid, I can't avoid them (that is why I am enjoying ABC'
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
You know the recipe.

One part orphaned child (A very adorable young man named Cinder)
One part wicked stepmother (Or in this case, aunt)
Two parts nasty stepsisters (This time it's nasty twin cousins)
One cup O' hot and smexy prince(a royal prince named Xavier, not the pop star in purple lace)

Stir that all together with a dash of adorably over-sized puppy, two shakes of magic, lacy slippers and a fairy god-witch!

When you bake that at 350 degrees in an oven for the hour or so it takes to read it, yo
Heather C
"Appropriate is boring."

This story was absolutely adorable! The relationship between Eldon and Xavier was super sweet. The sex not at all explicit but perfectly fits with the style of the story. Yes, it is a gay fairy tale inspired by Cinderella and the first half of the story follows the tale that we all already know. But then there's a twist! And I really liked how Xavier worked everything out in the end. See, Milton really was a good tracker after all. So cute!

Yes, Eldon does end up with some
Catherine
This fantastic twisted fairy tale was a light, sweet, FUN retelling of an old classic that gave me the expected happily ever after in a completely unexpected way.
Shin Mon Thway
I think this was such a cute and sweet take on classic Cinderella story. 😌 Of course, Cinderella is a guy in this novella and called Cinder and he and the prince actually met and befriended with each other before the ball. The plot was simple but charming and interesting. Not a very big fan of Cinder transforming into a woman for a short period of time but it worked for the story and they got a HEA. Yes, big surprise! 😁 This was such a light and tasty treat between heavy books. And this is my fa ...more
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I am grudgingly putting this on my "M/M steamy" shelf, but this is more of a fairy tale than a romance.

Very much a spoof/twist on Cinderella, Cinder is cute and fluffy. There's a big, floppy dog, a handsome prince, and a sweet orphan boy named Eldon. There's also a witch in a cave, a magic slipper, a bitchy cousin, champagne, and a cleverly executed HEA. I would bill this as GFY, except since there was so little sexuality here, it doesn't quite fit.

Were it not for the mention of hard male memb
Diana
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars.

I needed to read a book based on a fairy tale for the Turning Pages at Midnight Challenge, and this was the perfect choice. It was a short and sweet M/M version of Cinderella, kind of.

Very cute, not a lot of drama.
Julesmarie
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Free on Smashwords today with coupon code UN95P, 6/10/14!
wesley

I think I understand why the ratings are not off the roof. If you consider this story seriously, I'm sure a lot of gay people and women would be taking offence. But, if you consider this for the spin-off that it is, then you'd enjoy the book. I mean, come on. It's Marie Sexton! And the story is a nice take to the well-loved Disney classic. It was both funny and nostalgic. And well, a gay guy can dream, right? Although, I was kinda hoping there could have been an epilogue or something to solidify

Lelyana

OMG ! This book makes me happy.
I rarely found myself happy after reading books, and keep on smiling after.
Everyone who knows me , knew that I'm a fairy tales junkies... :)
And Cinder has fulfill my need of a slash of my all time favorite tale!

It was like, I'm stuck inside the book with Cinder/Eldon, Xavier and Milton the dog !
It's so much fun reading this story. And this one has easily become my favorite read of 2016 !

Highly recommended!
Kaje Harper

A short retelling of "Cinderella" with Cinder being a young man. It was light, fast, low-angst and smoothly written. I've seen reviews unhappy with one aspect of the "get him to the ball" magic. (view spoiler) For me, it worked fine, and the ending wasn't some kind of cop-out but sweet and openly M/M HEA. There's not much to this story, but what there is gives a sweet little taste of fluff and a smile.
Anna
V
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute and adorable story.
It remind me of the movie Ever After,that I adore.
Jeff Erno
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book yesterday but had to think about how I wanted to rate and review it. It's a beautifully told story, a male-male adaptation of one of my favorite fairy tales. In my opinion, this author is one of the best in the genre. I loved the story and was especially impressed with the way the dialogue provided foreshadowing and how everything all worked out so magically in the end. Although I knew before I began reading that it was a fairy tale and would have its HEA, I didn't know exactly ...more
Trisha Harrington
This wasn't a bad story. I know a lot of people really enjoyed it and I can kinda see why. But there were things that really bothered me while I read this and I just couldn't get over them. The ending was my favorite part and when Xavier found out the truth.

Basically, it was an okay read. I was definitely bothered by certain things here, but it wasn't the worst thing in the world either. And most people really love the story.
Irina
M/M Cinderella fairy tale.

Short, silly but entertaining.

***2.7 stars***

Caipi
Once upon a time........

Sweet m/m version of the Cinderella fairytale.
Salsera1974
In this 21st-century retelling of Cinderella, Eldon Cinder is living a life of drudgery, working as a servant for his miserable cousins and aunt. Xavier, the prince, comes to their town one day, looking for a bride. Eldon and Xavier meet cute, start seeing each other secretly every day, and quickly fall in love. Xavier is so preoccupied with Eldon, though, that he refuses to pick any woman at all, so his father decides to force his hand: every eligible girl in town will attend a royal ball that ...more
Edina Rose
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I can't wait! Cinderfella, will the shoe fit?

------------

Finished reading the book and I got an answer to my question about the shoe, but NOT the answer I was expecting!!!

Putain, I LOVE this fairytale!

PS: My fav sentence in the book: "Appropriate is boring." You are Right On The Money, gorgeous!

Chris Cox
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a fun, quick read. About half-way through, I realized I'd read the first edition, which will probably tell you that this is one of those eye-candy kinds of stories. It was perfect for a quick Saturday afternoon read while procrastinating house cleaning.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, m-m
Bippity Boppity Boo! What a very smart Prince :) I love Fairy Tales!

Peas in a pod, thank you Cat.
Line
Feb 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
Freebie at the zon.com right now: https://smile.amazon.com/Cinder-Cinde...
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
3.5 Stars on Prism Book Alliance®

Right from the beginning, this had that familiar tone of a fairytale: light, bouncy, easily recognizable character types, and even a healthy level of innocence in both of the main characters, Eldon and Xavier.

This does come with a twist, though, and maybe one you’re not expecting. Not that I was thinking a lot ab out it, but it sort of surprised me. How would it play out?

About half way through and I still couldn’t decide if that twist was working. The writing is
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
The Heidi and Mar...: Cinder 3 17 Jan 29, 2012 09:37PM

• Truth in the Dark
  • Fairytales Slashed Volume 1 (Fairy Tales Slashed, #1)
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • Brute
  • Goblins, Book One
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords #2)
  • Snowflakes and Embers
Marie Sexton lives in Colorado. She’s a fan of just about anything that involves muscular young men piling on top of each other. In particular, she loves the Denver Broncos and enjoys going to the games with her husband. Her imaginary friends often tag along. Marie has one daughter, two cats, and one dog, all of whom seem bent on destroying what remains of her sanity. She loves them anyway.

Coda: W