Start by marking “Mastering The Marquess (Bound and Determined, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mastering The Marquess (Bound and Determined, #1)

Mastering The Marquess

(Bound and Determined #1)

One night of fierce passion and unbound pleasure leaves two strangers craving much more in Lavinia Kent’s sumptuous novel of sensual discovery.

The time has come for the widow Louisa, Lady Brookingston, to move on, but she refuses to remarry at the cost of shaming her late husband’s memory. Their six years together were wedded bliss—even if a war injury prevented him from fulfill
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 395 pages
Published July 29th 2014 by Loveswept

To ask other readers questions about Mastering The Marquess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mastering The Marquess

willaful
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
The first third of this book was lovely, the second third a little too improbable, and the third third extremely upsetting. I'm mainly leaving this review because no one else seems to have mentioned how violent and revolting the story gets -- so maybe it's just me -- and I would definitely have liked more of a warning.

(view spoiler) ...more
Lover of Romance
Very interesting read!! Its been years since I have read Lavinia Kent, but this surprised me in how well I liked the tone of it. Even though the first bedroom scene together is very long, it still has a more "romance novel" feel to it then a erotic feel which is what I was expecting. Both character were utterly likable and sweet at times.
Tin
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
If anyone is keeping a record of longest sex scenes in romance novels, I think Mastering the Marquess is a strong contender. The first sexual encounter between our hero and heroine spans 7 chapters: Chapters 3-9, but, as I read through it, it didn't feel overlong or over-extended. I love how thoroughly Lavinia Kent explored this moment, making it clear how important and pivotal this scene is to Louisa and Geoffrey's love story. I think it was wonderful how Geoffrey and Louisa's love developed out of ver ...more
Ellen Gail
Part One: Great

Mastering the Marquess started off as charming romance. And what a unique premise! Louisa was never able to have sex with her husband John due to his war injuries. Now that she's a widow, she feels that she must lose her virginity before remarrying or risk being socially ostracized and her husbands' memory being shamed. Far fetched? Sure. But the chemistry between Geoffrey and Louisa was there. The romance scenes were sweet and sexy and whole vibe was working!

Part Two: Good

The pace of the story didn't work as well in Parworking!
PartGreat
Mastering
Sylvia
Lavinia Kent is one of my autobuy author for me. Mastering the Marquess has some erogenous scenes where you can feel and smell everything Mrs. Kent describes. Louisa, Lady Brookingston asks for help from Madame Rouge. She does not want to be a virgin wife anymore. She wants to remarry, but not shame her late husband’s memory. Madame Rouge is sympathetic to Louise's plight and she thinks she has the perfect candidate. Geoffrey, the Marquess of Swanston needs to have control outside and inside the ...more
Angie Elle
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***This book was provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.***

Wowza...so I only recommend this book if you are ready to go full steam ahead! ;)

Mastering the Marquess is a story about a woman who does her best to honor her husbands memory as she searches for a new one, and a man who is, essentially, prepared to live two different lives in an effort to sate his desires.

I have to say right off the bat that this author has an amazing gift for detailing a scene and
Farrah
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
A super steamy, yet delightfully sweet read, Mastering the Marquess was a wonderful historical romance. I really liked this book. It was a lovely, enjoyable read.

Louisa was a wonderful heroine. She was a perfect lady, but a lady who wasn't afraid to step out of the bounds of propriety when it was called for. And she might act like a quiet lady, but if she got mad, all bets were off. I thought she was a lovely heroine and I really liked her.

Geoffrey was also great. After l
Aղցela W.
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Spoiler Ahead This was a pretty good book that I liked although I felt it was a little too long. The time has come for the widow Louisa, Lady Brookingston, to move on although she doesn't want to remarry because she doesn't want to shame her late husband she was married for six years and due to her husbands war injury he was unable to consummate the marriage when means she is still a virgin. Louisa goes to Madame Rouge for help. Madame Rouge tempts Geoffrey, the Marquess of Swanston into deflowering ...more
Tracy Emro
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very HOT!!

This book surprised me. I expected it to be all erotica and was very pleased to find it was actually a very good book - with a lot of hot, steamy, had to stop and fan myself love scenes.

I might be alone in my opinion, but I felt this book was more about two people finding love and discovering their true selves than about sex.

Geoffrey (Charles) and Louisa (Grace) are wonderful leads. They shared a night of anonymous passion, that touched them both, but that neither thought would b
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
There's a good idea behind this book. Marriage of convenience, with husband inducting wife into a (relatively mild) BDSM sex life, all in a Regency context. Frankly, on paper, this pushes all my buttons. The execution, however, didn't work very well for me. The initial (sexual) encounter between h/h is pretty good but from there on out it didn't stick the landing. The sex was repetitive & some of the words to describe the sex grated. There's a murderous ex-lover who turns up & is unneces ...more
Mandy
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I really enjoyed this book. This is only the second historical romance I have ever read but now I really want to read more. This book was really hot and very erotic. I really liked the connection between the main characters and how they end up in each others lives. Their first meeting is one of the best introductions I have ever read - sexy! Looking forward to reading more in this series!

**ARC provided in exchange for an honest review**
Vicki
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-regency
The title isn't kidding

There was more to this book than I expected. It had wonderful characters and a very interesting premiss. There was a lot of detail in this book so it would be for adults only.

Even with the graphic details I enjoyed this book.
Talltree
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Super-hot smutty and tastefully erotic romance. Disliked the rake-virgin dynamic but probably can't escape it in the historical ones.
Erica Chilson
3.5 stars.

I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads

I loved both the main characters, but I was off-put by about 90% of the supporting cast (w/the exception of Ruby & Geoffrey's father). I was immediately sucked into the book, unable to put it down for the first 30%, and then I found myself glancing down at the time left in the novel, seeing I was only 30%, 35%, 40%, and I felt like the book should have met its conclusion pages ago.

It was a discombobulating feeling
Sandy
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Lavinia Kent’s Mastering the Marquess boasts a tight plot and rich characterizations. Set in London, this atmospheric tale portrays the romance between Louisa, Lady Brookingston, a strong-willed widow who is still a virgin after marrying her childhood sweetheart after he returned from war with a debilitating injury, and Geoffrey, the Marquess of Swanston, who has agreed to deflower her and teach her how to perform wifely duties for a future husband. Louisa does not want to have he
Ruthie Taylor
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
"I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads."

This book absolutely had me in its thrall from the word go - but I did get confused by a twist, and never did understand why. I love the premise behind the story and absolutely loved the outcome, but in the middle I read on in the strong belief that it would be worth it - and it was. Looking forward to the next installments so that can be reunited with the lead characters, as they were great fun. I cannot overstate how erotic and cha
Maria
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first book in the Bound and Determined series by Lavinia Kent.

Substance meets smut (splendidly) in this entertaining and intense erotic historical.

Geoffrey, the Marquess of Swanston, likes to be in control. After enduring the effects of a bohemian childhood of no restraints, the only way he feels calm and ordered is when he has complete control over a situation. He maintains his family’s finances and landholdings after his scatterbrained and reckless father nearly rui
Jessica Alcazar
GAWD Almighty I loooooooooooove me some Historical smuttiness! LOL
This little tale was sexy, steamy, and completely erotic! The passion between H/h was off the charts and I REALLY love the story itself! Both the H/h were very well developed and likable. The sex scenes were written sensually and tastefully. The story held a good pace and kept the pages turning. I read it in just one sitting!
I am SO looking forward to more from Ms Kent and from this series!
Duchess
Apr 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
There was a nice premise in the book and i could've rated it higher but the long drawn sex scenes specially the first encounter between Geoffrey and Louisa really spoiled it for me so much so that I have to skip a few pages just to get it over and done with. The mild BDSM BETWEEN H and h is not a plus points as I'm not really into this kind of thing. Overall the book was ok but cannot hold my attention for long.
DemetraP
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. The hero and heroine both like bondage. The historical details are in the background, a few mentions of dresses and parties and valets.

I liked how they talked to each other and actually worked out their issues like adults.

Negatives: There was a threat to the heroine. The hero thought he had handled it, but he had not. I did not like that part of the story and the consequences for the heroine.

Vikki Vaught
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Not the best BDSM I've read. While this book had its moments, at times I found myself wanting the book to move along.I enjoyed the story for the most part, but some of the sex scenes just went on and on. As far as it being a historical, Ms. Kent used some terminology that was way too modern for this time period.
Ashley
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
**ARC provided in exchange for an honest review**

Oh man this was a really good read. I loved Louisa and Geoffery's relationship. She was so innocent and he was so not. I loved how she was strong enough to be bold and be herself. Loved the chemistry.
Diana's
3.5 star read for me!!
Had it's high moments for me but some just okay!!
Although I am very much looking forward too Bliss and Duldon's story!!
Holly
I gave up on this half way through. I liked the idea behind the story but it had some major flaws. The opening love scene dragged way too long. And that’s a lot coming from me because I like a lot of sex in my books. It wasn’t romantic for the most part but it was sexy, so I guess it just depends on your interests.

I found it a bit unbelievable that it took so long for them to figure out who each other was after their first encounter. I was excited to see what happened after they figured it out
Caz
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, aar
I've given this a B- at AAR, so 3.5 stars.

Mastering the Marquess
is an erotic historical romance (strictly M/F) in which a young widow’s sexual awakening at the hands (and other body parts!) of a man who values control in all aspects of his life proves to him that maybe allowing someone get close to him isn’t such a bad thing.

Lady Louisa Brookingston is that rare thing – a virgin widow. Her late husband – her childhood sweetheart – was badly injured in the war, so badly that he was le
Talia Nyx
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent.
While it is common to not write in the style of the era depicted in historical fiction, it is so wise to keep jarring anachronistic language to the extreme minimum. Romantic fiction, or otherwise.
Heidi Meaton
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brilliant

Sensuous, exciting, mysterious, heart wrenching, intriguing, kidnap and torture. What more do you need in a book.
Not for the prudish amongst us but full of the strength of a woman and the uncertainties of a man.
Very good indeed.
Brit
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Bound and determined to force myself to finish the book. It takes me a day maybe a day and a half to finish a book. I hate not finishing a book. This took me 3 days off and on to read this.
Dianna
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok

Not really my type. Too erotic. Sex scenes went on for chapters. If u like that type of book then go for it
Abbey Faria
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yaaaay! Finally a dominant man who isn't overly domineering, a heroine who isn't annoying and some amazingly hot sex scenes. This book wins
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Lily Mine
  • A Scandalous Affair (The Merry Widows #3)
  • Dark Duke (Noble Passions #2)
  • Nothing But Scandal
  • Sweet Agony
  • The Marriage Bed (The Medieval Knight Series #2)
  • The Wickedest Lord Alive (The Westruthers, #3)
  • Deeply In You (The Wicked Dukes, #1)
  • Prisoner of Love (Brothers in Arms, #8)
  • Once a Rake (Drakes Rakes, #4)
  • Pleasuring The Lady (The Pleasure Wars, #2)
  • Mending Hearts (The American Soldier Collection, #11)
  • The First Sinners (The Sinners Club, #0.5)
  • A Sword for His Lady (Courtly Love, #1)
  • The Beauty Within (Armstrong Sisters #3)
I live in Washington, DC with my husband, kids, two cats and a changing menagerie of other small beasts.

I worked in both the arts and in the business world before giving into my love of story telling after the birth of my oldest -- although it wasn't until after the birth of my youngest when I suddenly had full-time childcare that it all came together for me.

I love discussi

Bound and Determined (6 books)
  • Bound by Bliss (Bound and Determined, #2)
  • Sarah's Surrender (Bound and Determined, #2.5)
  • Ravishing Ruby (Bound and Determined, #3)
  • Angel in Scarlet (Bound and Determined, #4)
  • Tangled in Sin (Bound and Determined, #5)
“Every woman deserves a wedding night. And what could be better than one that comes without a husband?” 0 likes