Start by marking “Lost & Found” as Want to Read:
Lost & Found

Read Excerpt

Lost & Found

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  9,483 ratings  ·  1,632 reviews
Millie Bird is a seven-year-old girl who always wears red wellington boots to match her red, curly hair. But one day, Millie’s mum leaves her alone beneath the Ginormous Women’s underwear rack in a department store, and doesn’t come back.

Agatha Pantha is an eighty-two-year-old woman who hasn’t left her home since her husband died. Instead, she fills the silence by yelling at pas/>Agatha
Published January 27th 2015 by Hachette (first published June 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Lost & Found, please sign up.
Loretta Darmstadt
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Myste I wouldn't give this to kids because of some vulgar language and suggestive situations (such as Gary getting drunk on a train and yelling at people to…moreI wouldn't give this to kids because of some vulgar language and suggestive situations (such as Gary getting drunk on a train and yelling at people to "fuck" eachother). 15+ (less)

·  9,483 ratings  ·  1,632 reviews

Stephen Lemon
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was hoping that I'd enjoy this, and it was certainly quirky and a little different, but in the end, nothing in the book was really believable enough to allow me to engage with it properly. The storyline is pretty hard to take seriously, the writing is frequently twee and sentimental, and almost all of the characters and their actions are unconvincing to an extent that is quite bizarre at times. I can only assume that Brooke Davis has led a very sheltered life, and never actually had any length ...more
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
A book that touched my heart and soul in so many ways. It made me laugh, it made me sad, it made me think, it made me glad. Endearing and poignant, a book to remember forever. It's been compared to The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce, and I agree, I loved that book too. And I loved this book. In a squillion ways.

From the first chapter I knew I was in for a treat, my heart strings were pulled and my funny bone was tickled. I didn't know whether to burst out laughing or grab the
Sally906
I really wanted to like this book, many of my reading friends, whose opinions I trust, loved it; the critics were certainly praising it to the hilt - but I just didn't. Yes it was quirky and different and there were moments when I engaged with each of the characters, but not enough to stay engaged, I certainly wouldn’t like them to be close friends – reckon they’d drive me nuts.

I also had trouble with the speech – when a character spoke it was all in italics; and not necessarily a new line for
Michael
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brooke Davis first came to the attention of the Australian reading public in 2012 with her short story 'Karl the Touch Typist'. It won the QUT Creative Writing Prize that year and since then the Western Australian author has added some more quirky characters, along with Karl in what is her debut novel. We knew from Davis's short story that Karl had broken out of a nursing home and now we get to found out why.

He is on a mission to live his life to the fullest and try his best to be a
Anne Mcginnes
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Little Millie learns to deal with grief, death and abandonment in company with two elderly people also dealing with grief.
I really wanted to like this book but I didn't. I just didn't believe the premise it was based on and I didn't believe the characters. The whole thing was too cutesey and artificial for me.
I was particularly annoyed by the characterisation of the old people, Agatha and Karl. There was no subtlety. I think the author meant their personalities, their behaviour and t
☼♄Jülie 
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to ☼♄Jülie  by: Michael, Aussie Readers Goodreads.

Lost and Found by Brooke Davis
Read from July 15 to 16, 2014

This is an incredible debut novel!
I'm going to go the full five stars with this one as I absolutely loved it!!
From start to finish it had me hooked and I loved the quirky characters with all their nutty activities and routine peccadilloes.
I found them totally believable and Brooke Davis's ability to tap into the unique psyche of each of the characters was just brilliant...especially Millie Bird... Nothing was
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Chloe Healy, Random House UK, Cornerstone, and NetGalley.)

“Everyone knows everything about being born, and no one knows anything about being dead.”

Where to start with this book? It was a little bit strange, and a little bit funny in places, and the characters were quite strange too.

“'In heaven, you hang out with God and Jimi Hendrix, and you get to eat doughnuts whenever you want. In hell, you have to uh… do the Macarenatoo.
NetGalley.)
Lisa
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australia
Phenomenal book here! Don't miss this one, especially if you do audio, the narrations are among the very best I've ever experienced. I laughed out loud about 3 dozen times and that's no exaggeration. This book is witty, wise, and touching. Such memorable characters! Millie Bird, Karl the touch typist, Agatha Pantha, Captain Funeral and Captain Everything will not soon be forgotten. 5 stars, 6 if I could!
Ashley Adriana maria
May 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF at page 97. I really tried but its is just to unbelievable. The characters, their lives, the things they do and say. Its just all too weird.
Carolyn
This is a gorgeous, little gem of a book. Although it deals with serious matters like grief, loss, abandonment and death it has many humorous moments and is guaranteed to make you smile while tugging at your heartstrings at the same time.

Millie Bird is a delightful red headed, 7 y old girl. As with all young children, she struggles to understand death and has a Book of Dead Things starting with her dog Rambo, a spider, a bird, Grandma, next door's cat and then at number 28 her Dad.

M
Kate
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I’m torn by this book. Had I read it knowing nothing about the author, I probably would have thought “Odd…some bits good, some a bit ridiculous….”. But that’s not the way it worked out. A few weeks ago, I watched Australian Story. For my overseas readers, Australian Story is a weekly half-hour doco, featuring a story about an Australian – sometimes unsung heroes, sometimes ordinary people dealing with extraordinary issues. My husband loves this show. I don’t. The reason I don’t is because 95% of ...more
Amanda
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic, quirky little novel!

Masking a very sad and heartbreaking story are a lot of hilarious, laugh out loud moments. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more from this author.

Phrynne
Jun 30, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a quirky and entertaining read about a delightful little girl, abandoned by her mother but protected by fortune in quite remarkable ways. I loved Millie and my heart ached for her every time she put up one of her notices saying "In here mum." I liked both Karl and Agatha for the first half of the book but felt they became over the top as the story progressed. And the ending took me quite by surprise in that it just kind of happened with no warning and no real conclusion to events. (This ...more
Maya Panika
Rarely does a book arrive on my doormat so over-egged with praise. Rarely does a book so desperately fail to live up to its supposed promise.
According to the cover blurb, 'The search is over for the star debut of 2015'. According to the publishers, this is 'a mix of great storytelling and truly memorable characters, sparkling humour and deep emotion'. It is compared with The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared and The Curious Incident of th
Michael Robotham
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was dazzled by some of the language and observations in this book. A little twee or overly cute in places, but we should forgive this in a debut novel. Brooke Davis has a stunning career ahead of her.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Three months after her dad became A Dead Thing, Millie Bird's mother takes her to a department store and asks her to wait for her. Clutching her backpack stuffed with frozen juice boxes, texta's, tea light candles, a Just In Case glass jar and her Book of Dead Things, Millie waits, huddled under a rack of Ginormous Women's Underwear, for her mother's gold shoes to come click clacking back.
Karl the Touch Typist, an 87 year old escapee from a nursing home still mourning the loss of his beloved wi
Figgy
Meet Millie.

She’s seven years old, observant, and fascinated by Dead Things.
She was fascinated by Dead Things even before her father became one. He was her twenty-ninth Dead Thing.

Actual rating 3.5 stars - But I honestly don't know whether to round it up or down.
(ETA - Decided on four stars because Millie broke my heart, and made me laugh, and just want more of her. Millie definitely makes this book.)

She sees the world in a way that will make you giggle, and then likely think back o
Caroline
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 out of 5 stars

OKAY so I am actually really disappointed with the ending of this book. The point where it ends should have been the beginning of some kind of bigger resolution but instead it just cuts off. I didn't like that. For the most part, this book was quite good. I liked the characters but for the most part I found them to be caricatures; like they were really dramatised versions of normal people. Agatha was probably my favourite of the main three because she was so funny and judge
Dana
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, meh, borrow, 2015

I liked this novel overall, but often felt that I was reading a story about three children on a road trip. The level of quirkiness reverted everyone back to little children, rather than the intended interesting adults. The plot was good and this story really did have some touching moments. I just felt like the story ended up feeling a little lost.

It was a short book yet it dragged, the characters were unique but to the point of parody. The chapters are divided into three narratives and I only r
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This was a sweet and funny, also sometimes sad, book about a little Australian girl who is obsessed with death and gets abandoned by her mother. The story starts in a department store, where she is hiding until her mother comes back for her, and a retired man saves her from social servies with the help of the cranky recluse from across the street.

Jay G
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

When 7 year old Millie Bird is abandoned by her mother in a department store one day, she meets Karl the Touch Typist and old Agatha Pantha. Together they set off on an epic journey across Australia to find Millie's mother.

This book was cute and a very quick read but nothing overly memorable in my opinion. Each character is unique and I loved the alternating perspectives between the three. Millie's character was my
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This story was unexpected. I'm not sure what I was really expecting when I sat down and started it, but it wasn't this delightful and captivating story. I liked this a lot more than I expected. It's sad and funny, with quirky characters that are easy to love and root for.

The ending was both expected and unexpected, sad and happy, and not at all usual, but overall satisfying.

This isn't a book I would usually pick up, but I'm glad I did because it was delightful.
Joanna
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
By Brooke Davis, a friend and someone I will always be glad I met ;)

‘Lost and Found’ is an absolute joy to read. If there is one book you are going to read this year (or this lifetime for that matter) let it be this one. In this special book you will find love, joy, heartbreak, grief, denial and finally acceptance and peace.

Millie, Just Mille, Millie Bird. A sweet and curious little girl trying to find her way after her dad dies. Having always had a keen interest in death
Andrea
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This had all the quirky charm that I'd been led to expect, but I couldn't totally warm to all three of the principal characters. I struggled to believe in Millie Bird, the capable-and wise-beyond-her-years seven year old. That aside, it was a tender, heart-warming story.
Shermaya Cavanagh
*I received a copy of this book free from the publisher in exchange of an honest review*

What a disappointment, the premise had such potential yet the story was swallowed up and set aside for rather uncomfortable matters.
The book centres on 3 main characters;
Millie Bird - a 7 year old trying to find the mother who abandoned her.
Karl the Touch Typist - an 87 year old lonely widow who meets Millie in a department store, and
Agatha Panther - an elderly, unkind wido
Bruce Gargoyle
Full review at http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress...

I received a digital copy of this title from Hachette Australia via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Pint-sized Angel of Existentialism, Millie Bird inadvertently rejuvenates the existence of two senior citizens, plunging them into a prolonged episode of geriatric delinquency. Hilarity (and dead things) ensue.

Lost and Found has all the things I love in a novel and more. Not just old people, but shouty, rude old people. Not a simple obscure quest but
Bookread2day
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lost and Found is Brooke Davis first fantastic proper novel it is just filled with wonderfully imaginative writing. Brooke Davis has blended in such sparkling humor with deep emotion. I must sincerely congratulate the author Brooke Davis with the voice of the character seven-year-old Millie Bird.
I was swiftly drawn into the story with Millie's red hair and Wellington boots to match her hair red curly. What I particularly liked is the fact that Brooke Davis delivered what a child would really sa
Trav
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

Cute without being too saccharine. I liked it, but didn't love it. The characters were quirky and funny but not entirely believable. I had lots of laugh out loud moments when I was engaged with the story, but also lots of moments where I skim read through parts.

I get that this was a novel exploring life, love, loss and grief, but I didn't feel it.
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
3.5 Stars
This is a beautiful book in every sense. I loved reading the story of Millie Bird and found it to be an emotional read at times. It is moving and evocative with a wonderful lyrical language that has you caught in its flow from the first page. The characters quickly become real and you feel them living in your head and I think they may take up residence in mine for quite a while. I thought about the characters even when I wasn't reading it.

She sets a place for her mum next to the mannequi
Allie
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books, australia
This was another ARC I stumbled upon. I thought the cover was adorable, but when I flipped it over was surprised by what the book was about. Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover, sometimes you can't!

This story follows 3 main characters, Millie Bird, Karl the Touch Typist, and Agatha Pantha. Millie is only seven years old and already has lost her father. She is then shockingly left at a department store by her mother, where she survives on her own for a few days. She meets Karl there, an

• Nest
  • The Painted Sky
  • Cicada
  • Indelible Ink
  • The Convent
“A fact about the world Millie knows for sure: Everyone knows everything about being born, and no one knows anything about being dead.” 10 likes
“Did Errol ever know that his life would be just a dash on a gravestone? That everything he did and all the food he ate and the car trips he took and the kisses he gave would all end up as a line on a rock? In a park with a whole lot of strangers?” 10 likes