Start by marking “You (You, #1)” as Want to Read:
You (You, #1)

You

(You #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  61,729 Ratings  ·  10,531 Reviews
When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown Uni
Published September 30th 2014 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books (first published September 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about You, please sign up.
Kelly Short answer-NO. But it might be useful for older teens to scare the shit out of them about social media.

Emily May
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, contemporary

I'm not sure what crazy people shelved this book as "romance". You is romantic in the same way that Lolita is romantic. In other words: an insane, obsessive and manipulative romance from the perspective of a charming psychopath.

It's a fucked up tale told from the POV of a stalker who obsesses over and spies on a young woman. He gradually plants himself into her life and seeks a relationship with her, whilst simultaneously hacking her emails and following every little thing she does. If you're lo
Colleen Hoover
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally review books when I've personally slept with the author, and this time is no different. I have never slept with Caroline Kepnes.
You should read YOU.
See what I did there?
That's because you can't read, then!
Matthew
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book while recovering from surgery. I was medicated and kind of loopy. Considering how weird this book is, it is kind of perfect!

Not for the faint of heart! This book is demented and twisted. You will feel uncomfortable that the words on these pages came from someone and were actually published. You will feel guilty for being enthralled by the madness and behavior of the narrator. You will start to question your own sanity as you realize you are not quite sure who you are cheerin
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
There aren't a lot of Guinevere Becks in the world-just the one. The first thing I had to find was your home and the Internet was designed with love in mind. It gave me so much of you, Beck.

So starts Joe's little love fest with Beck. After she comes into the bookstore that he works at he feels their connection so strongly that he knows she feels the same. Even if she hasn't realized that fact yet.
Joe might be a tad psycho. That's okay though, he is the best stalker psycho I've ever had the pri
Candace
Brilliant! This book was unlike anything I've ever read before. I enjoyed every minute of this deranged story.

Welcome to the mind of Joe, a seemingly normal guy that works in a bookshop. However, there is nothing normal about Joe. His mind is a fascinating place to be, turning brief encounters into meaningful events and even, obsessions. He's a stalker, a murderer and the most candidly honest character that I've ever crossed.

The thing about Joe is that his craziness sucks you in. I loved Joe and
Steph Sinclair
I don't even want to know what kind of research needed to be done to write this novel. The ending left a pretty big plot berg, but YOU was strangely addictive. What's even more strange was how Kepnes somehow got me to both root for Joe and be disgusted with him and myself simultaneously. Excuse me, I need to shower.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

Before I even get started, let me say this is not a book for everyone. Hell, it might not be a book for anyone except for Snotchocheez and myself. There is no middle-ground to be had here. This book is offensive and the characters are all vile and I expect opinions to be extremely polarized. And I totally respect that . . . but please have the decency to not troll my review and tell me how wrong I am or that I’m a pscyho. I’m already
Raeleen Lemay
4.5/5

THIS WAS GREAT. So freaky and messed up, just what I was in the mood for! I'm so very excited for the sequel (which apparently is up on NetGalley for anybody who can't wait).
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This was a re-read on audio and it went from 5 stars to 3 stars for me. And it WASN'T because of the audio! And FYI: This book has explicit sexual situations and other stuff.

I wanted to kill everyone in this book this time around!

I mean Joe (the stalker is not the only nut job) the girl he latched onto, I hated and I hated her friend!
They were all bat shit nuts!! Right off the farm people!

I still have it 3 stars because I think the author did a fantastic job with Joe the stalker. You hated hi
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
Full review posted

*4 stars for plot--5 stars for writing*

It’s been 16 minutes and 4 hours since I’ve finished reading this lunatic of a book—and although I am scared and disturbed and feeling straight-up icky, I’m also outrageously impressed.

With the exception of certain scenarios appearing just a bit too fitting and orchestrated (e.g. multiple persons failing to put pass codes on their phones so a certain stalker can do his job with ease), I think this book was pretty damn amazing.

For me, it w
Adam Silvera
THIS BOOK WAS SO ADDICTIVE. I have been in a huge reading rut all year and this is the first book that I started and finished within a week. I HIGHLY recommend the audiobook.
karen
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jury-duty-book
…the problem with books is that they end. They seduce you. They spread their legs to you and pull you inside. And you go deep and leave your possessions and your ties to the world at the door and you like it inside and you don't want for your possessions or your ties and then, the book evaporates.

this was recommended to me by eeeeeveryone a few years back when it seemed a little cult was being formed around this book, and i'd been meaning to read it for a long time; so long, in fact, that i'd fo
Riley
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFFkt...

This book will not be for everyone. You will either love it or hate it. Obviously I loved it. This book messed with my mind so much and made me see things in a whole new light. We live in an age where our whole lives are one click away on the internet. Anyone can find out anything about you. We have no privacy. Our lives are documented on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, ect. Joe, the main character, uses the internet and social media to his adv
Edward Lorn
First and foremost: THIS IS NOT A ROMANCE. This book is to romance what The Shining is to self-help books.

The titular You is Guinevere Beck (aka Beck, or simply B.), and our narrator is the uber disturbed Joe Goldberg. These two are fucked up beyond all repair and damn fun to read about. If you're a bit demented, that is. Me? I love reading about broken, warped, or all around shit human beings. They don't need to redeem themselves for me to enjoy their stories, but I must understand them. I unde
❄️Nani❄️
4.5⭐

My favourite nutcase in non-fic lit.
Yup, it happened. I finally found a character who makes all the other sociopaths I read about seem like the most stable and sane guys.

Told from Joe Goldberg's perspective, a normal —so he thinks— Manhattan bookstore employee, who gets dangerously obsessed with Beck at first sight and the rest, as they say, is history.
The narrative is structured like a long monologue to “You”: Guinevere Beck, who becomes the object of his obsessive affection. The second
Delee
You've come home to me, delivered at last, on a Tuesday, 10:06 a.m. Every day I commute to this shop on the Lower East Side from my place in Bed-Stuy. Every day I close up without finding anyone like you. Look at you, born into my world today.

I have only had one other experience reading second person narration (that I can remember) Bright Lights, Big City- I have to say I wasn't a huge fan, and I found myself avoiding anything written in that point of view...until YOU...

photo b0c6aed0-8abb-4fd4-9c21-712bf1ee30fb_zpsa17ab9b3.jpg

From the moment Guinevere
James
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 out of 5 stars to You, the first of a two-book thriller and suspense series, written in 2014 by Caroline Kepnes. All I can start out with is wow - I loved it! I've tried to pull out all spoilers, but I do give a little bit of the high-level plot and antics away, as I think it will make you want to read it more.

Why This Book
My friend Medhat asked if I’d be interested in a buddy read with him and proposed 5 different books. I’d read 1 already, didn’t have an interest in 1 of them, and 2 were
Esil
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh, you are clever, aren’t you, Ms. Kepnes. Clever like a fox. But I’ve got your number. I’ll be watching you. That little book you wrote “You” is really not my kind of book – and you knew that. A book written from the perspective of a male stalker? Please! So trashy, so icky. There was no way I was going to read that book. But then you started setting traps to lure me. You planted some Goodreads reviews written by some of my friends – people you know I trust and respect. You had them raving abo ...more
jessica
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
re-read before i start watching the tv show (which looks sooo good). and im surprised because im actually going to bump up my original rating after the second time around!

so, about joe. joe is the one and only redeeming thing about this story. which is bizarre because hes a sociopathic stalkery madman. i shouldnt like him, right?! but he is the perfect antihero. hes witty and sarcastic and dangerously funny. his internal monologues are some of the best parts of the book, some are even borderline
Maxwell
Jul 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Okay, this book is really, really hard for me to rate. Because plot-wise it was engaging, addictive, and thoroughly thrilling. I had to find out what happened next. And it was so twisted and sick and entertaining.

But content-wise, there were a lot of problems I had with this book. I have a really hard time with how explicit and violent it was; it makes me hesitant to recommend to people. There were definitely points in the story that I was disturbed and a bit offended. The writing is unique and
Theresa
Joe Goldberg is looking for true love. Joe is pretty sure he's found it with Guinevere Beck. Too bad Joe is a creepy, delusional, obsessive stalker! "You" by Caroline Kepnes is an addictive, riveting, and fast-paced novel. The writing is filled with dark humor. I loved Joe's wicked sense of humor. He is a riot! I found myself rooting for Joe even though he's a bad, bad man. Beck is one of those characters you will love to hate. She's a compulsive liar, reckless, manipulative, hypersexual, and a ...more
emma
On the last day of 2017, here's the full review of my last favorite of the year.

I only know one way to like music. That is when you hear a song and you’re instantly like, Holy shit this is THE SONG, and then you are fully unable to listen to any other music, everything else pales in comparison, you can only listen to this one song on an endless loop until you’re eventually so sick of it that you can’t even listen to it for approximately twelve calendar mon

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Edit: it's becoming a TV show?! Yessssss 😎

I love how it says "Praise for You" on the back of the book. Praise for me? Aww, you shouldn't have!

When aspiring author, Guinevere Beck, strides into a secondhand bookstore she has no idea that she's setting the wheels of something utterly terrible in motion. That's because the owner of said bookstore, Joe Goldberg, is a card-carrying psychopath who will do anything - ANYTHING - to get what he want
Lindsey Rey
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, favorites, thriller
ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!!!! I've never been happier to know a book has a sequel.
Hannah
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reading this was like watching a crossover episode between Criminal Minds and Law and Order: SVU told from the criminal’s perspective.

I loved every second of it.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
You is a book I should hypothetically like because it is a fucked-up book with awful lead characters. But unfortunately it’s also – and don’t kill me, I’m going to explain – not very good.

This is a book about a stalker, with one interesting twist: he narrates. which is horrifying and... kind of interesting, and Santino Fontana deserves an award for his audiobook narration. The issue is that the ENTIRE BOOK is based off this gimmick and it is four hundred twenty fucking pages and Nothing is done
Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥
You is an incredibly well written story about a stalker/murder named Joe that is currently obsessing over a girl, Beck, he met in the bookstore where he works. I enjoyed this book so much more than I thought I would. It really makes you think and messes with your mind in amazing ways. Even though this a great story, it is disturbing, and some people may have trouble reading it because of that fact.

To everyone that knows him, Joe probably seems like a normal guy...smart, funny, charming, and swe
Justin
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
You wrote this book, and I saw it all over the place. You grabbed my attention with what looked like a cross between The Collector and American Psycho. I couldn't find your book anywhere, but I was able to land an inter-library loan and get my hands on it. I rushed to the library, but they were closed. I walked away with my head down, disappointed. All I could think about was you and your book which was called You and was written by you. You devil, you.

The next day I got my hands on your book a
April
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad but not good either. I don't know I kind of expected to enjoy this book a little bit more given all the hype around it. Felt like some parts of the book could of been left out or was being dragged out.
Berit☀️✨
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 seriously sick stars🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
This book was fantastically disturbing! I mean pretty much everyone in this book was really well..... disturbed! I really don't know what to think of myself..... but I enjoyed being in the mind of a psychopath for 11 hours on audio!

I would strongly recommend the audio on this book.... the narrator Santino Fontana does amazing! It's like you are there.... in Joe’s head.... and as crazy as Joe is, he really is quite the compelling character.....
Wow! Wow! Wow! If you a
Fiction Fanatics: September 2018 - You 8 25 Sep 21, 2018 05:53AM
You TV series 7 179 Aug 09, 2018 01:54PM
Around the Year i...: You, by Caroline Kepnes 13 143 Jun 17, 2018 04:56PM
  • See Jane Run
  • The Memory Box
  • Dangerous Girls
  • The Girl in 6E (Deanna Madden, #1)
  • The Killing Circle
  • Second Life
  • Black Iris
  • The End: A Dusty Futuretake (Dusty, #1.25)
  • Near Enemy (Spademan, #2)
  • Chemistry
  • Frankenstorm
  • When We Were Animals
  • Sunset City
  • Push (Push, #1)
Caroline Kepnes is the author of You and Hidden Bodies. She splits her time between Los Angeles, California and Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

She would love to hear from you over on Facebook.

You (2 books)
  • Hidden Bodies (You, #2)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg, #1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blazing Summer (Darling Investigations, #2)
  • The God's Eye View
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Abandon
  • The Things you find in Rockpools
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Through the Fog (Evan, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Body Counter (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #2)
  • Up Country
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Surrogate
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Teacher (DS Imogen Grey, #1)
  • Lies That Bind Us
    $10.49 $1.99
  • The Prettiest One
  • The Book of James
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1)
  • The Storm King
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Down River
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Council of Twelve (The Hangman's Daughter #7)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Intercept (Jeremy Fisk, #1)
  • If I Run (If I Run #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
“The problem with books is that they end.” 353 likes
“If we were teenagers, I could kiss you. But I’m on a platform behind a counter wearing a name tag and we’re too old to be young.” 204 likes