Start by marking “The Shadow Cabinet (Shades of London, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Cabinet (Shades of London, #3)

The Shadow Cabinet

(Shades of London #3)

Grieving, shaken, and feeling very much alone, Rory's life as a member of the Shades of London has changed irrevocably. It's only been a matter of hours since Stephen was taken from her, possibly for ever. Her classmate Charlotte is still missing, kidnapped by the same people who tried to take Rory. Rory is no longer a schoolgirl haplessly involved in the dealings of a sec ...more
Published February 5th 2015 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Cabinet, please sign up.
Kate It says Maureen Johnson has it scheduled for a 2018 release. The prequel and book volumes 1-4 will then total out as 5 Shades of London stories.

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
AFTER READING
MY THOUGHTS
I read an ARC copy of The Madness Underneath back in late 2012. Imagine the pain when I finished that book and came across one of the worst cliffhangers! Of course, it became even worse when the next book, this book, didn't come out until 2015. That felt like ages away to me! I was insanely happy to be able to finally pick up this book and get my answers!

This book takes place right after The Madness Underneath left off. Stephen has been pronounced dead and the entire te

“We need to start looking. We do the hospital. We do the flat, both the old one and the new one. And if that fails, we come back here and we do it again. Yeah?”

This book was very different to the two that came before it, and it was full of info-dumps.

Rory seemed like a different person in this book. I found it hard to see her as the same girl who used to eat chocolate doughnuts and sausages for breakfast, and while I didn’t dislike her, it was like her personality was maybe missing a bit.

The s
Jazmin
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've finally read it!! Plot wise, I'm really glad that the Rites of Demeter thing was explained (and boy that was a really cool thing) whereas D: at the fact that Sid and Sadie are alive. Romance wise, I needed more like the diner scene and the end, i.e you've never seen snow? made me want to bash my head against a wall because you idiots kiss already. As we know #4 is the end, I want it to be FULL CIRCLE Y'ALL. Go in on that stephen/rory romance, let's forget about Sid & Sadie.
Ferdy
Spoilers

One of the better YA books I've read recently, though that's not saying much since the last few I've read have been utter rubbish.

-The plot was a bit of a mixed bag. Enjoyed the parts with Sid/Sadie, and Jerome getting involved with Rory and all her ghosty problems, and Thorpe trying to keep his team together. There were quite a lot parts that dragged though, like when Rory and co were trying to find Stephen, and towards the end with the whole moving of the Oswulf stone, they both took
Emma
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been the best one yet!Will there ever be a fourth? Even if there isn’t , this has been a really fantastic urban paranormal fantasy. Feeling a bit sad to be left in the dark about Rory and Stephen though...it’s quite a journey that Rory has been on since the first book: extreme character development! I just love Rory’s voice in this book and series. Recommended.
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need this book right now.
Steeeeeeeeephen!
Gah. I'm gonna cry.
Cora Tea Party Princess
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Ghosts, London, life, death, relationships.

Oh god. That was just... I need more.

After the ending of the last book, I was desperate for this. And it felt like such a long wait, even though this was out surprisingly quickly. But how could the wait be anything other than excruciating after THAT ENDING of book two?

Mandy
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is the third book in the Shades of London series so I won't say anything about the plot.
I have really enjoyed all three books and really liked this author's writing. The books read like she is sitting next to me, telling me the story, and I had a great time devouring all three books.
My favourite is probably the first book, but I have no complaints with any of the series.
I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Bryony
Apr 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This was good! I enjoyed it, but not as much as I enjoyed the first two. I did read them when they were first published, and think that my taste has matured slightly perhaps. I think the best thing about Johnson's writing would be the ability she has to set the scene - the atmosphere and descriptions made me feel like I was right there in London with Rory, Boo, Thorpe, Freddie, and Callum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Initial thoughts: WHAT! WHY
Jessi ♡
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is just bananas
Paige
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How do I review this book without getting ten different kinds of spoilery?

Let's see. It picks up right where The Madness Underneath left off (you know, right after THAT THING happened), and things start getting weird... almost immediately. Which is cool, if you like weird, which I'm guessing you do, since you're reading something written by Maureen Johnson.

Everyone is appropriately affected by The Thing That Happened. Like, Rory doesn't do that whole blame-yourself-for-something-that-had-nothi
Lindsay Cummings
I can't wait for book 4!!!
Justine
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
I thought this was such a truly excellent series of books. I was so impressed with the story, the characters, just everything about them. This third book was very fortunately not a cliff-hanger, but definitely set the stage for the story to continue and deepen.
Kristina Horner
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ghosts
I am going to seriously wither away and die waiting for the next book in this series.
The last two books in the Shades of London series really went in all sorts of directions I didn't expect, ripped at my heartstrings and often had me yelling out loud in my car at the characters (I listened to the audiobook).

I think this book did a really good job of making people who ended up sort of being put in larger than life situations feel extremely grounded in reality - I really felt the things these cha
Jessica
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult, fantasy
So, the last book ended on a very upsetting note, and this one begins on that same upsetting note. But it's not gratuitously upsetting, there's a reason for everything that happens in this series, and the plotting is very tight. I also love the way Johnson describes the setting, and sets the mood. London must be a foggy, creepy, yet wonderful place, if real life is like the books.

The one weak spot for me, at least, is Rory, our main character. I mean, she's fine and all, she's realistic, but I
Katherine
Full review to come soon, but for now, I can say that this was an absolutely AMAZING read. This book will make you immediately want to move to London and fight ghosts, have Rory be your best friend, and desperately wish that ghosts are real so you can fight along Stephen, Boo, and Callum.

As long as the ghosts are friendly, of course ;)
Ely
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm thinking of starting a petition for Maureen Johnson to stop ruining lives, namely mine.
Lindsay
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By far the most satisfying of the series so far.

Rory gets taken under Thorpe's wing after the events of the previous book. There's a desperate search to find Stephen, but he's not anywhere that the team can find. Meanwhile the sinister Jane Quaint is still at large with serious plans for Rory and her friends.

This book and the previous one could be considered a duology in the larger series. Many of the plot points set up in the previous novel are resolved satisfactorily in this one. The Madness U
Abby Connor
I really love this series and I love Maureen Johnson, but I feel kind of disappointed by this book. There were just so many really really long paragraphs of information, often times revealed in hard-to-believe dialogue, that made it a bit tedious to read. A lot of the humorous tone was missing in this book and I really missed the boarding school characters. The only person we really got to hear from was Jerome and I don't particularly care for him or the love triangle aspect that he's involved i ...more
Zoe
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone else suspect that there's going to be some ghost on girl action?
Melody
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[140623]
WTF. WHEN DID THE RELEASE DATE FOR THIS GET PUSHED BACK?? T____T

[130308]
Oh goodness, I need this now. D:
Book Riot Community
So, yeah, I read this twice this month, in two different formats. Because it was great. Shadow Cabinet is the third installment in Maureen Johnson’s Shades of London series, and for real, the series is only getting better. The series is about a Louisiana girl named Rory who transfers to a boarding school in London and in the first book, she develops the ability to see ghosts (ooohh). By the third book, she’s been working with a group of young police officers whose job it is to clear up ghost-rel ...more
Melissa Chung
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty good. Going into this book I thought it was the end of the trilogy. Then mid-way I found out that there is another... a fourth book is coming out. Sigh. There is no release date.

The first half of the book went really quickly. It started right where it left off from the second book 'Madness Underneath' at the hospital. Then all of a sudden the mystery side of the book took off. As a reader we learn about a whole new world and a new character. A goodie two-shoes Hermione character
Abbie
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really disappointing.

The characters were okay, but I didn't like them as much as I did in the first two books.

I was expecting to really like this one, as I enjoyed books one and two. Unfortunately though, I felt bored for most of it. It was info dump after info dump, and I didn't find the story that interesting.

Robyn
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The mystery deepens in this one considerably, and becomes more interesting as a result. (Not to say that the other ones weren't!) The things that concerned me in book 2 have largely resolved, and this was a highly enjoyable one. Ready for book 4 .... oh wait.
Carina
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good fantasy read. But I think I kinda grew out of the YA fantasy genre. Also I thought this book was the last in a trilogy... nope. To be continued... (but I think without me) Nevertheless, I enjoyed Rorys character as well as the London setting and the esoteric stuff and myths that were part of the story.
Samantha
3.5 stars. As near as I can tell, everyone else I know who read this book really didn't care for it. As for me, I rather liked it, and nearly rated it four stars. And it deserved four, in my opinion, based purely on entertainment value. BUT (there's always a but, no?) I think it suffered due to some serious plot/transitional issues. Further, I will emphatically echo others' complaints that this series has become problematic because it was originally supposed to be a trilogy and has apparently be ...more
Nara
After that unbelievably horrifying cliffhanger in The Madness Underneath, I was freaking ready to jump on The Shadow Cabinet as soon as it was released. I must say, I certainly wasn't disappointed with what I got, although I did get a bit of a surprise: TSC is not the series ending of Shades of London.

I don't know how to feel about the series being extended. I really thought it was going to end as a trilogy and was excited for this book as a series ending. On one hand, I was looking forward to e
Emily
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot to like about this series-the sinister atmosphere, the tour of London you get with each installment, and the narrator. Especially the narrator. I love Rory's voice. If it weren't for Rory's witty observations and her great big heart, I wouldn't enjoy this series half as much. Here are a couple of goodies:
There was a girl...in a black woolen hat covered in tiny reflective gold discs, like jazzed-up snake scales. My granny Deveaux had a shirt covered in something similar, but the e
mith
needed more Stephen and Rory time.
3.5
---
Reduced to having to use the actual site because I'm a dunce and can't add reviews on the app.
Or maybe the new update wasn't quite as great as I thought.
In any case, I have a ship and I'm not ready for it to not sail. I know Maureen Johnson won't make it that easy.
---
There's a cover. I wonder how late I am but who cares BECAUSE THERE'S A COVER AND I LOVE IT and heavy sighing, the wait continues.

Edit 2:
Expected publication: March 5th 2015 by Putnam Ju
  • Astray (Gated, #2)
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
  • The Chaos of Now
  • Vivian Apple Needs a Miracle (Vivian Apple, #2)
  • Shaman, Friend, Enemy (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman, #2)
  • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • The 5 Moons of Tiiana (The Chronicles of Rez Cantor, #1)
  • Black Throne Conspiracy
  • The Row
  • Oblivion (Nevermore, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Long Game (The Fixer, #2)
  • Trouble Is a Friend of Mine (Trouble, #1)
  • Nearly Found (Nearly Gone, #2)
  • Ghostly Summons
  • High and Dry
Maureen knew from an early age she wanted to be a writer. She went to high school at an all-girls' Catholic school and graduated from University of Delaware with a degree in writing. She now lives and writes in New York City.

Many of the adventures Maureen's characters face in her books are based on real-life stories. Maureen has traveled all over Europe, and is a Secret Sister to vlog brothers Han

Shades of London (4 books)
  • The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1)
  • The Madness Underneath (Shades of London, #2)
  • Untitled (Shades of London, #4)
“So you’re Rory,” Sid said, “and...well, he’s handsome but not chatty. Very stone-faced. Like the white cliffs of Dover.”

“Those are chalk,” Sadie replied. “He’s more solid than that. Like the Misty Mountains.”

“Over the hills where the spirits fly...”

“With Rivendell in the foothills.”

“And Orcs in every pass,” Sid concluded. “So perhaps he’s...”

“Stephen,” Stephen said, bringing an end to that.”
3 likes
“But when we live, we believe that we have a right to everything in the universe - that everything is ours to touch.” 2 likes