Start by marking “The News Sorority: Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour, and the (Ongoing, Imperfect, Complicated) Triumph of Women in TV News” as Want to Read:

A provocative look at the three remarkable women who revolutionized television broadcast news

For decades, women battered the walls of the male fortress of television journalism, until finally three—Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, and Christiane Amanpour—broke through, definitively remaking America’s nightly news. Drawing on exclusive interviews with their colleagues and
Published September 30th 2014 by Penguin Press

Start your review of The News Sorority: Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour, and the (Ongoing, Imperfect, Complicated) Triumph of Women in TV News
Christine
Disclaimer: I won an ARC (uncorrected proof) via a Giveaway on Goodreads. My news program of choice is Newshour on PBS. I watched World News Tonight with Charlie Gibson, and my reason for the change, in part, is below. I should also note that Katie Couric makes me feel like someone put their nails down the blackboard. I really don’t like her online delivery.

If you can remember a few years back, back when Egypt had first erupted into massive protests, a reporter Lara Logan, was sexually
Melinda
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric and Christiane Amanpour, three women climbing and conquering in the male dominated field of news anchoring are featured in their personal and professional lives. Their lives differ greatly, each approached their careers differently, however, all three equally driven.

Personal sacrifices, issues to deal with are presented and explored. Their choices suffering criticism, unlike their male counterparts. Women almost always face the dilemma of career vs family, men rarely
Jean
In 1971 CBS hired a few women in the newsroom among them were Connie Chung and Lesley Stahl. In 1976 Barbara Walters became the first female anchorwomen. Now there are lots of women news anchors on local T.V. stations and PBS News Hour host the only all women anchor team with Gwen Ifill and Judy Woodruff.

The author primarily covers Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric and Christiane Amanpour. The author did not have direct access to these news anchors for information. Weller does quote various people
David
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sheila Weller, the courageous and brilliant journalist-biographer, author of Girls Like Us, delivers another masterpiece! The News Sorority is an engrossing giant of a read; thorough, intimate, unabashed and revealing.
We’ve all spent time with these women, Sawyer, Couric, Amanpour, they’ve been in our living rooms for years. We know their voices, their inflections, their candor and their charms; we have come to trust their honesty and authenticity. They’ve delivered fact, explained away
Emi Bevacqua
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
While I loved that Weller classified Howard Stern as "cheesy," I was sad that so much of this book focused on physical appearance, outfits and frivolity; I felt that detracted from the justifiable point that women newsmakers are unfairly judged for their physical appearance. I found this book interesting, but wouldn't choose to read more of this author's writing (having had a low-level career in TV news I recognized a lot of the people and departments and could remember major events).
Mary Doyle
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read this book as a part of the First To Read Program. I was really looking forward to it but struggled to finish it. I didn't like the liberal use of quotes from unnamed sources. At times the focus seemed more like a gossip column than a serious book about these women and their careers. Also -too long.
Emily Pomeroy
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book about these 3 talented, powerhouses! The setup of this book is great, telling the stories of these women by a grouping of years, telling how these women's stories overlap, comparing and contrasting their reporting styles. I liked how they described these women's strengths and weaknesses, not trying to make them seem perfect to prove that women should be in powerful positions. When they told of their weaknesses, they compare their weaknesses to men in similar positions. ...more
Gail
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another random find that I quite enjoyed. It was fun to learn the history of Katie and Diane especially since I used to watch them. And I appreciated the author's feminist viewpoint of their struggles. I didn't ever think it was boring. Unlike my latest reviews. :)
Rachel
May 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
The point of the book, title notwithstanding, is that these women ultimately failed to achieve their goal of being successful anchors of network news programs because America prefers its news from heterosexual white men of a certain age. Diane and Katie were "fired" and Christiane was denied the opportunity that she earned. Katie and Diane made fortunes, but did not make lasting structural changes for the better. Rather disappointed that there was not a single mention of Amy Goodman--is she not ...more
Catherine
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read in ages, I literally couldn't put it down; it's not only a fascinating, behind-the-scenes look at the kind of grit it takes to make it in prime time news and a great look at three fascinating and admirable women, but also a terrific review of some of the most important news stories of the past five decades.
Eminently readable, written in a style that's both comfortable and elegant, it creates a very balanced history of the challenges, the requirements, and the
Linda
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hardback, chcpl
A hefty journalistic volume recounting the paths of three preeminent female newscasters. Two of the three are younger than I, but I recall hearing supposedly wise people surmising why there would never be females in the news business. (One of the reasons was that their voices were too shrill.) These three cajoled, manipulated and worked their ways to the top of their profession only to seemingly reach that Peter Principled level of incompetence. (Was it really incompetence or unrealistic ...more
Emily
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It is pretty long, but so interesting.
As another reviewer noted, Christiane Amanpour really brings the book from a 3.5 star rating up to a full 5 stars. Her career trajectory really stood in juxtaposition to the other two women, reporting from safe studios in New York City. The book itself also revealed the many ways that TV news works against women, and how often women are punished just for being women (for example, Diane's struggles in being "warm"
Joanne Otto
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I felt the portion of the book devoted to Christiane Amanpour was worthwhile, but most of the rest of it read like a gossip column about people who were preoccupied with money and their own egos. For me that got old fast. This experience underlines the importance of a book-club selecting only books that at least one member has actually read and can vouch for.
Laurie
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-review, 2015
Tons of interesting information (and dirt!) about 3 of the most famous women in the business.
Ellen Dzak
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like to read about strong, determined women and this book meets that description. It's also interesting for recent history ( recent for me anyway! ) They have all traveled different paths to reach their goals, but their goal is the same. Although the author is a woman she depicts the female newscasters as typical "scratch your eyes out, pull your hair" fashion. While she refers to male peers as doing what they are paid to do. That is strictly my opinion though.Diane was always an enigma to me ...more
Sarah Ewald
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Roller coaster book detailing the lives and careers of Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, and Christiane Amanpour. Of the three, more impressed with Amanpour. Sawyer and Couric's careers have been played out in media many times. At times, the competition between Sawyer and Couric seemed like a high school rivalry. You can rightly applaud their firsts, but of women, there were many there before them who weren't given their due.
Peg Haldorson
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
I loved this, and as this one was on Audible, I spent time in parking spaces and driveways waiting until I got to a point I could take a break. These are 3 very fascinating women and how their careers developed or failed in a very “man oriented” profession.
Kristy
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Story about three interesting women in what I consider a very interesting profession. It is written in a gossipy style and does not have the benefit of the subjects' input, however. It really demonstrated how much sexism dominated the TV news profession and probably still does.
CatReader
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I feel like this book would have been more successful had it focused on Diana Sawyer and Katie Couric and maybe one other journalist/newscaster who's a foil to them. The inclusion of Christiane Amanpour whose career has been vastly different from theirs seems like an afterthought.
Colleen
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Being a journalist, I found this book very interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed the chapters on Christiane Amanpour -- the best international news reporter extant.
Ari
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
IQ "Objectivity means giving all sides a hearing. It doesn't mean treating all sides equally", Christiane Amanpour 249

I was most familiar with Christiane Amanpour when I began reading this book, obviously I've seen Diane Sawyer and Katie Couric but I'd only occasionally watched Diane Sawyer on the news and I'd never seen Katie Couric doing the news (or hosting Today) until she joined Yahoo and did an interview with RBG. Anyway this is a roundabout way of saying that I did not think it was
Latarsha
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
"The News Sorority" is a fascinating, well-researched book on the rise of three of the most recognizable female faces in broadcast news: Katie Couric, Diane Sawyer and Christiane Amanpour. Sheila Weller did a herculean job shaping what these women were like from their upbringing right through their first jobs in television journalism to present time when they might be considered the "old guard" of broadcast.

I found this a great read but if I could give half stars, this book would rate 3.5.
Barbee
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, 2017
the best book! it has everything: celebrity bios, feminism on women in the media and historical events. the author really did her research on each of these remarkable women.
Diane
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you have been following the news lately, you have no doubt heard about the suspension of NBC News' Brian Williams. If you are fascinated by this saga, you may wish to pick up a copy of Sheila Weller's book, The News Sorority- Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour and the (Ongoing, Imperfect, Complicated) Triumph of Women in TV News.

Weller takes us on a tour of the interesting lives of these three successful women. Diane Sawyer was the daughter of a successful judge and a "1950's
Judy Collins
A special thank you to First to Read Penguin Group, for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sheila Weller is a bestselling author and award-winning magazine journalist specializing in women’s lives, social issues, cultural history, and feminist investigative. Her seventh book, The News Sorority: Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour, a well-researched and written book about three extraordinary women.

Weller portrays three revolutionary women: ABC's Diane Sawyer, the first female
Katie/Doing Dewey
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Like really great historical fiction, this biography did a wonderful job bringing to life not only individuals but also a larger setting. I found Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, and Christiane Amanpour's histories and inspirations fascinating. They're all incredibly interesting women with many unique life experiences. Although I probably would have described this as narrative nonfiction, the author explicitly states that she thinks of this not as narrative nonfiction, but as journalistic nonfiction, ...more
Terri
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In the mid-twentieth century, women were demanding equal pay in the workforce. In many ways, this also worked to demand equality in all aspects of the job. Today there is still a distinct pay gap for women, but in terms of equality in different aspects of any particular job, women have blazed a trail and made their creativity, drive and ambition just as valid as any man in the same job. That’s where The News Sorority comes in. The book by Sheila Weller takes readers on a journey throughout the ...more
Angie Reisetter
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: firstreads
When I first saw this book, my reaction was that it looked terribly interesting, but I wondered about the choice of subjects. If I were to write a book about women in TV news (and believe me, I have absolutely no expertise on this subject at all -- I am just an average news consumer), and had 30 seconds to pick 3 subjects, I would have picked Katie Couric, Diane Sawyer, and Barbara Walters. How odd, I thought, both that Walters was left out and that Amanpour was included.

But of course Weller had
Katherine
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Very interesting. Sometimes the interwoven fabric of the women's stories was mildly confusing. But overall enjoyable to listen to.
Bookworm
Nov 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bored Three women: Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour and Diane Sawyer. You know their names, their faces and their careers. Here author Sheila Weller traces the stories of these there women and the place they hold in media history.

There is much that these women should be lauded for. Whether it's their work in reporting, courage under (sometimes literal) fire, balancing their personal and public lives as female journalists as well as breaking many glass ceilings that previous generations couldn't
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Queer Eye: Love Yourself. Love Your Life.
  • Crazy Rich: Power, Scandal, and Tragedy Inside the Johnson & Johnson Dynasty
  • Commander in Cheat: How Golf Explains Trump
  • American Moonshot: John F. Kennedy and the Great Space Race
  • Shortest Way Home: One Mayor's Challenge and a Model for America's Future
  • Let Me Finish: Trump, the Kushners, Bannon, New Jersey, and the Power of In-Your-Face Politics
  • Unbuttoning America: A Biography of "peyton Place"
  • The Politician: An Insider's Account of John Edwards's Pursuit of the Presidency and the Scandal That Brought Him Down
  • Queen of the Air: A True Story of Love and Tragedy at the Circus
  • The Year of Fear: Machine Gun Kelly and the Manhunt That Changed the Nation
  • The Daily Show: An Oral History as Told by Jon Stewart, the Correspondents, Staff and Guests
  • The Good Nurse: A True Story of Medicine, Madness, and Murder
  • Why We Can't Wait
  • Era of Ignition: Coming of Age in a Time of Rage and Revolution
  • Unruly Places: Lost Spaces, Secret Cities, and Other Inscrutable Geographies
  • The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work
  • Autobiography
  • Home

Her seventh book, The News Sorority: Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour – and the Triumph of Women in TV News, will be a major release from Penguin-Random House on September 30, 2014.

Her sixth book was the critically
“determined to go on and do her job and we” 0 likes