Start by marking “Justice for Bonnie: An Alaskan Teenager's Murder and Her Mother's Tireless Crusade for the Truth” as Want to Read:

When Karen Foster was told that something had happened to her eighteen-year-old daughter, Bonnie Craig, she knew what it meant. The Alaska State Troopers investigating the scene ruled it a hiking accident, but for Karen, the pieces didn’t add up. Bonnie would never have ditched class to go hiking. And she didn’t drive—so how would she have reached McHugh Creek, miles out ...more
Published 2014 by Penguin Group

To ask other readers questions about Justice for Bonnie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justice for Bonnie

Start your review of Justice for Bonnie: An Alaskan Teenager's Murder and Her Mother's Tireless Crusade for the Truth
Diane in Australia
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-crime
After Karen's daughter, Bonnie, was murdered, she went through 17 YEARS of hell trying to get a straight answer from the police, trying to keep Bonnie's case fresh in the minds of the public, not to mention the grieving that she, and her family, suffered. This is one mother who never gave up. Very compelling read.

Also, Alaska changed their DNA Laws to "Collection of DNA on All Felony Arrests" in 2007 in honor of Bonnie (Bonnie Craig Amendments).

3 Stars = I liked the book. I'm glad I read it.

Karen Foster
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's my story and IJ Schecter did an incredible job at weaving it into an amazing book that chronicles the 17 years of hell I went through after my 18 year old daughter was abducted, raped and murdered. I cried reading it, even the 5th time! And I knew it like the back of my hand. Thanks to IJ this is an incredible read.
Martin
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't write a lot of reviews and yet am compelled to this time around. Justice for Bonnie is an emotional and important read.

It's emotional because the reader is taken on a 17 year journey through the ups-and-downs Karen experiences. It's written in the first person and relays Karen's inner-most thoughts and experiences and the experiences of her family. I'm a father of two young kids and I really wasn't sure I would get past the second chapter. Suddenly what Karen's family has gone through
Debbie Cutler
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Karen’s book is a great read, a fast read. Started and finished it in one day. I was Bonnie’s English teacher at the university, and it brought back a flood of memories—good and bad: Bonnie's can-do attitude, her fierce love of life, her determination. And then all that other stuff. I'm amazed at Karen’s resilience and fight. I don't know how she lives this every day of her life, but she manages to take the horror of life and turn it into something beautiful and meaningful to help others.
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a schoolmate of Bonnie's, I remember very well the terrible announcement during class, the memorial services, her face on billboards and posters, and the nagging pressure that this was not coming to a close. I went to college, and my family moved away (from the same neighborhood as hers) but I kept checking the Anchorage paper online for any news. It was a shock to see the article about the DNA match, and so frustrating from afar to see the delay and delay and delay in the trial.

What i saw
SouthWestZippy
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Karen Foster walks you through the nightmare of getting a phone call telling her that her Daughter Bonnie has been found dead. Karen suspects right away that she was Murdered and did not die in an accident. What a nightmare for the whole family. I found myself skimming here and there. I found Karen to be a bit self adsorbed and so driven she overlooks others around her. She uses I a lot, when in fact she has a husband and other kids that are going through the nightmare too. Ok book, interesting ...more
Amy
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is very close to my heart.

I went to UAA when Bonnie went missing, and remember well the news, stories, and speculation surrounding her disappearance.

My Mother, Sandy Cassidy, is mentioned in the book, and was instrumental in keeping Bonnie's story in the headlines.

Like all true crime (not my favorite genera), this book goes through the evidence, and tries to keep to a linear timeline.

I thought the book was well written, covered the facts, and had good closure.
Cara Lee
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an emotionally tough read because I know the people involved, but it's a compelling true-crime drama that offers moving insights into the way one act of violence can ripple through an entire family and community, changing lives and world-views forever. Reading that the mother became an advocate for victims and that the family remained strong and close-knit helps to offer an uplifting angle to a sometimes heart-wrenching dramatic arc.
Brenda Tennant
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was an emotional story. Very well written and easy to read. Once you start it's hard to put down. You really get a good sense of the journey Karen endured for all those years. What an inspiration she is!!
Sherri Smith
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very well-written & heartbreaking book.

Just wanted to add that I had trouble putting this book down, it was such a compelling read!
Rita Wilson
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a gripping and well written book about Bonnie Craig.
Amy
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting read but the Mother was so self absorbed it grew tiring at times. Sad story of a nice teenaged girl gone too soon.
Shannon
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A well written book and an easy read. Very interesting to read about the whole process, start to finish, of every parent's nightmare. How agonizing it would have been for the wheels to turn so slowly.
JoAnn Ainsworth
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Telling, not showing, but I read it all the way through.
Alanna Carland
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book, I loved how honest Karen was. I literally felt what she was saying she made it so easy to understand her and really connect you with what she saying. incredibly emotional story.
Bernice Rizor
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found it really interesting and I found how strong mother was on the fact she knew her daughter was murder but it took long time but justice avail
janice griffin
rated it did not like it
Mar 05, 2015
Susan Ketterer
Jun 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • The Curious Case of the Copper Corpse  (Flavia de Luce, #6.5)
  • Silver Bay
  • Picture Perfect
  • Barefoot
  • Digging to America
  • Deadhead and Buried (English Cottage Garden Mysteries #1)
  • Stargazey Point (Stargazey, #2)
  • The House in Quill Court
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • Towne Square (Providence Island Book 2)
  • Stargazey Nights