Start by marking “Shifting Shadows (Mercy Thompson #0.1, #0.6, #0.8, #1.5, #4.5, #5.5, #7.4)” as Want to Read:
Shifting Shadows (Mercy Thompson #0.1, #0.6, #0.8, #1.5, #4.5, #5.5, #7.4)

Shifting Shadows

(Mercy Thompson Shorts)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  16,187 ratings  ·  1,261 reviews
Mercy Thompson’s world just got a whole lot bigger…

A collection of all-new and previously published short stories featuring Mercy Thompson, “one of the best heroines in the urban fantasy genre today” (Fiction Vixen Book Reviews), and the characters she calls friends…

Includes the new stories…
“Silver”
“Roses in Winter”
“Redemption” ...more
Published September 2nd 2014 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Shifting Shadows, please sign up.
Livvie I'm a huge fan, but it is starting to seem like Ms. Briggs books prices are going up and up. I won't be buying these until the price goes down, if it…moreI'm a huge fan, but it is starting to seem like Ms. Briggs books prices are going up and up. I won't be buying these until the price goes down, if it doesn't I can live without it since a lot of these short stories are already available in other collections. Authors complain about piracy of their books, but charging almost $13 for an ebook is one of the things driving people to piracy. (less)
Diane Im not sure if this is what you looking for but
Takes Place Before 01 Moon Called
Fairy Gifts
Grey
Seeing Eye
Takes Place…more
Im not sure if this is what you looking for but
Takes Place Before 01 Moon Called
Redemption
Takes Place After 08 Night Broken
Hallow
Outtake from 05 Silver Borne spoilers
Outtake from 08 Night Broken spoilers(less)

·  16,187 ratings  ·  1,261 reviews

Start your review of Shifting Shadows (Mercy Thompson #0.1, #0.6, #0.8, #1.5, #4.5, #5.5, #7.4)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Fanfreakingtastic! ❤ ...more
Angela
January - February 2015 Re-read: Buddy read with Sarah:
Love.

Original Review:
Most of these stories have been out for a while, but - for some reason - I've had a hard time getting them and reading them. Nearly all of them were new to me when I picked up the book this time. Even if you have read all the previously published short stories, this anthology is definitely worth picking up for the four new novellas. "Roses in Winter" is my favorite of the four, but all of them were fantastic.

These stories are organized in the chronological order in which the
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Final review, first posted on www.FantasyLiterature.com:

Shifting Shadows is a collection of urban fantasy stories from the MERCY THOMPSON universe, along with a couple of outtakes or brief scenes from recent novels in the series. Several different characters, who will already be familiar to readers of this series as secondary and minor characters, are given the protagonist role in these short stories, along with at least one new character that I believe is completely new to the series, Elyna in “Gray.” Like the novels in these s/>Shifting
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Joint review by: Rabid Reads

SILVER

Carmel: I only just recently got caught-up on Briggs’ MERCY THOMPSON series, thus I’m not as familiar with the mythology surrounding the Cornick family as Jessica some readers, so when Ariana showed up in SILVER BORNE I didn’t realize that her and Samuel had a history that spanned hundreds of years. I really enjoyed this short because it helped to fill-in a lot of the blanks in their past, and was a great overview of Bran’s lineage; it helped me to better understand/>:/>
Anne

I'm biased.
Mercy is my favorite urban fantasy heroine, and Patricia Briggs is my favorite UF writer.
Sooooo.
Just a bit biased...
Still, I think this is the best collection of short stories I've read so far, and that's saying something. The price tag for this little beauty on Kindle is $10.99 right now, and I'd have to say it would be worth every penny for fans of this series.
Once again, you can tell that Briggs is an author that cares about not only her readers, but the characters that she writes about.
Each story is complete (excepwriter.
Juststars
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: werewolves
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

SILVER
I only just recently got caught-up on Briggs’ MERCY THOMPSON series, thus I’m not as familiar with the mythology surrounding the Cornick family as some readers, so when Ariana showed up in SILVER BORNE I didn’t realize that her and Samuel had a history that spanned hundreds of years. I really enjoyed this short because it helped to fill-in a lot of the blanks in their past, and was a great overview of Bran’s lineage; it helped me to better understand her deep-seated/>
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UF fans
Shelves: urban-fantasy
4.5 Stars overall for best collection of short stories ever!

Not a dud present in this entire book! "Fairy Gifts" shines the brightest. It's also a terrific introduction to new Patricia Briggs readers. There's also a Mercy story for fans craving something new after the last release, Night Broken. In addition, the outtakes from Night Broken (Adam's POV) and Silver Borne (Ariana & Samuel) were the 'cherries on top' of this delicious collection.

"Silver" - 4 Stars
(This story can stand-alone. For Samuel & Arian
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
I couldn't pass up a whole book of short stories from the Mercy Thompson series. I love most of the characters and even though I had read some of them, I didn't mind reading them again. The only problem I had was since I am current with the series, some of the time frames were a little fuzzy.

Silver - 4 ★'s

This is a new story about how Bran and Samuel became werewolves and what they went through. It was interesting to get some of their family history. I was also happy to find out how Samuel and
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
MT — #8 Night Broken:
MT — #9 Fire Touched:
MT — #10 Silence Fallen:
AO — #5 Burn Bright:

I'm reading this collection in the order recommended on Patricia Br/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>
1st Read August 2014
2nd Read February 2016
3rd Read February 2017

Buddy read with Ange

I'm a huge fan of Patricia Briggs, her Mercy Thompson series is one of my favourites and I just adore the world she has created. One of the best things about these books is the amazing characters, not just the main characters like Mercy and Adam (or Charles and Anna in the Alpha & Omega books) but also all of the secondary characters like Bran, Samuel, Warren, Ben, Asil and many, many more. The scope of this world is/>3rd/>2nd
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2014/09/16/b...

I want to start by saying I’m not a big reader of short fiction, and on the whole I tend not to bother with any novellas, short stories or anthologies that are companion to an existing series. Part of this is due to my preference for full-length novels, but I’ve also not had the best experiences when it comes to the short format. Characters are world building are important for me, and with only a few exceptions, most short stories don’t go as in-depth i
Lila

The truth is , I don't care much for shorter-than-novel work. :\ Except when it comes to Patty Briggs- I loved every one of her stories she wrote for various anthologies that I got to read and having them at one place was a great idea.

I reviewed here only new stories:

Silver - 3.5 stars

This is Sam and Ariana origin story, briefly touched in Silver Borne.
Frankly, I was dreading of reading this, because I -we- know it's a not a happy end story. You see, I grew so attached to Samuel re/>
AH
Update 3/5/15Check out our group review of Shifting Shadows on Badass Book Reviews.

A must-read for all fans of Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega series.
This anthology includes the Alpha & Omega novella and it reminded me just how much I love these two series.

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

I love Patricia Briggs. I absolutely love the Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha & Omega series. So when I saw that this book was being released, it was an absolute given that I was going to read it. Most of the stories in this anthology were new to me but I had previously read several of them in other works. The stories that I had previously read were so good that I d
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Shifting Shadows is a collection of short stories and novellas from the world of Mercy Thompson. Most of these stories (like Alpha & Omega, the Charles & Anna prequel) were previously published, but the four new ones (Silver, Roses in Winter, Redemption and Hollow) are motivation enough to for running to your nearest bookstore on Semptember 2nd.

But even without those four stories, owning all these stories about Mercy and her friends in one gorgeous hardcover edition is certainly worth i
Heather C
I’ve been looking forward to this book for over a year! I had previously read only two of these stories (Alpha and Omega and In Red, with Pearls). All the others were new to me and if I would have known that some of them already existed, I would have gotten to them sooner. One thing that also makes this collection so great is that the author has written and little introduction for each story giving a brief background or where the idea derived from.

Silver (new) - This tells the tale of Samuel and Ariana and is just as bittersweet(Alpha
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
2.5

After reading the last Mercy Thompson released this year, which rocked, I was excited to see this anthology in the bookstore in the discount aisle. More Mercy? Check.

Unfortunately despite the promise of more stories from the Mercy Thompson world and the as-usual intriguing cover, I was bored with a majority of these stories. I'm one of those odd fans who doesn't prefer the Alpha and Omega series. In fact, I didn't even like the first book since it felt like paranormal romance ove
Ferdy
Spoilers

This was a bit of a hit and miss for me, thankfully there were a few more hits than misses. There were some stories that were really engrossing because of the characters or the history that was revealed (Silver, Gray, Roses in Winter), some were fairly entertaining but ultimately didn't make much of an impression on me (The Star of David and Seeing Eye), and they were a couple that didn't impress me at all (Butte, Hollow, Redemption).

-SILVER. It was interesting getting a loo
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4.5/5; 5 stars; A

This book of short stories, novellas, and out takes is a real treasure for fans of the series. If you haven't read the whole Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega series you probably should skip it except for the Alpha & Omega short story which is a prequel to that series and one of my all time favourite short stories. I have read a couple of these in other anthologies but really appreciated having them all together in chronological order along with author notes p
KatieV
I really enjoyed this audio collection of Mercy-verse stories. Some were creepy, some were lighter. As Briggs says, this was an opportunity for her to tell the stories of other characters, since the Mercy novels are told strictly from her POV.

These were mostly narrated by Lorelei King who is the voice of Mercy for many of us. A few stories were narrated by Alexander Cendese as well. Overall I enjoyed all of the stories. However, I didn't care for this narration of Alpha and Omega, si
Tabitha (Lovely Books Blog)
Read more reviews like this at http://lovelybooksblog.blogspot.com!

Silver

Right of the bat Silver really impressed me, I was never a huge fan of Samuel in the Mercy Thompson series; he was okay, but I just never really felt any connection to him and I didn't particularly care what he was up to. However, this story changed all that. In Silver we get a deep look into Samuel's origins and even get to see the moment that he becomes a werewolf. Samuel has gone through a lot of hardship in his life and this story really gets into deta
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
I loved this, what a great idea having all the short stories so far for the Mercy Thompson series all in one place. Some of them I had already read and was happy to reread and others I had never seen. If you are a fan of the Mercy Thompson series, this is really a must-have.

What I liked was the insight into some of the secondary or briefly met characters we have seen in the series so far. It does nothing but enrich the world Briggs has created and leave me wanting more.
Cyndi
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series and this collection of short stories do not disappoint. The romance of Ariana and Samuel was sad but saved itself to a happy ending in the outtake from 'Silver Borne.'
Along with this is a group of wonderful stories that I am so glad to have read, and some to have read again. Great fillers for Mercy's world.
Ela
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
AN ENTIRE BOOK OF MERCY SPIN-OFFS!!

IF YOU CAN'T TELL FROM MY EXCESSIVE USE OF CAPITALS: I'M SO EXCITED!!!
Jen Davis
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This anthology contains a smattering of short stories set in the world of Mercy Thompson. They span centuries. Some have no discernible link to the characters and storylines we know. Others tie directly in with the series. I enjoyed a few of the stories more than others, but I thought all were worth reading.

Silver – I have to admit that when we were first introduced to a Samuel/ Ariana pairing in Silver Borne, it felt a little too convenient for me. Samuel had been pining for Mercy and then/>Silver
Thenia
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I visited Mercy's world, and these short stories reminded me why this series is one of my favorites. At the same time they showed me how much I've forgotten, and made me decide to re-read it once again from the beginning...

Silver ~ ★★★★
The story of how Bran and Samuel were turned, and Sam's and Arianna's first meeting.

A dark and painful story for everyone involved, that gives valuable insight into both of them as characters.

--------------------/>Silver
Kathleen
3.5 stars for entire narrated anthology, with some 5-star selections. A mix of old and new material. I didn't like paying again for stories I've already bought and read, in order to obtain the new stories. I listened to audio version. Below, the title and my rating for each story. The story synopsis comes directly from the author's website, patriciabriggs.com.

Previously Published Stories
Alpha and Omega. 4 stars. Good story, but I liked Holter Graham's narration much better. From Briggs: The first no/>Previously
Keertana
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shifting Shadows is a definite must for fans of Mercy Thompson--no doubt about it. It opens with a relatively long tale--nearly novella length--which covers the initial meeting between Sam and Ariana. While it is often difficult for readers (at least myself) to tear away from the perfection that is Adam Hauptman, I truly adored the fact that this collection dares to give us the back stories of characters we've been curious about. Sam and Ariana's tale, though not one I'll likely ever find myself re-rea ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

Ardent fans of Patricia Briggs may have already pieced together parts of this collection, housed in beat up paperbacks and anthologies already published. To have these existing stories and more gathered and carefully arranged by series timeline, makes this lovely hardback a treasure for any collector to have on the shelf. From a pure reading perspective, “Roses in Winter”, a glimpse of the child survivor mentioned in BLOOD BOUND, made this book worth
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I love the world of Mercy Thompson. Each one of these stories is another glimpse into this world and from a different person's perspective. This is why I enjoy compilations like this so much. There is something about each story I loved to read about. I love the story about Bran, Charles and Sam. With Mercy showing up near the end, that was a delight. I just love how Mercy things and responds even if it isn't the way I'd do it.

My favourite one is with Asil. This one really pulled at m

• Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories, #4)
  • Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #6.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5; Barbarian, #1)
  • Blood in Her Veins: Nineteen Stories from the World of Jane Yellowrock
  • Small Magics (Kate Daniels #0.5; 5.3; 5.6 )
  • Death Magic (World of the Lupi, #8)
  • An Apple for the Creature
  • Magic Bites - Fernando's (Curran POV #2)
  • The Dragon Conspiracy (SPI Files, #2)
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • No Sooner Met (October Daye, #6.2)
  • Hex Appeal

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana, to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed

Mercy Thompson (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
“Zack shook his head. "I am glad you aren't mine. You're going to be dead before you're forty."
"No," rumbled my husband's soft deep voice from the hallway. "I'm going to be dead before she's forty.”
33 likes
“Bran nodded at Charles. Charles looked at the prisoners and smiled. Asil had practiced in a mirror, trying to get that smile. His own were very good, but he hadn’t gotten quite the same “I’d rather rip you to little pieces, but my father says I can’t—yet” effect. Asil was better at the “I’m crazy, and you are about to die.” 20 likes