Start by marking “'Twas Nochebuena” as Want to Read:
'Twas Nochebuena

'Twas Nochebuena

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
’Twas Nochebuena and all through our casa, every creature was kneading tamale masa...

It’s Christmas Eve, and you’re invited to a Nochebuena celebration! Follow a family as they prepare to host a night filled with laughter, love, and Latino tradition. Make tasty tamales and hang colorful adornos (decorations) on the walls. Gather to sing festive canciones (songs) while sipp
Published October 16th 2014 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about 'Twas Nochebuena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 'Twas Nochebuena

Monica
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I learned Spanish easily with this darling book about a Hispanic Christmas. It follows the rhythm of ‘Twas the night before Christmas, but gives lots of information about the cultural holiday. I used this for a social studies lesson.
Pam
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Es Nochebuena" en español.
Tammi Peterman
1. Text to World: people all over the world have Christmas Traditions. This book allows readers to see traditions from the perspective of a child in Guatemala. The piece shows that while many traditions are very similar there are other interesting and exciting traditions to explore around the world.

2. The characters and setting of the book are true to the Guatemalan culture. The piece shows how different Christmas Eve celebrations are from traditional American celebrations. It describes the spe
Jehan Jones-Radgowski
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am always looking for good bilingual books. And a week before Christmas I stumbled upon this book in my local library. I love that the Spanish words are interspersed with the English text. Some bilingual books have the English and Spanish text on the page which ever makes a super long book or a confused page. Other books have just certain characters speaking Spanish (Think Dora Explorer style), this book has Spanish words thrown in the text flow like a natural Spanglish speak. If you don't spe ...more
Diana
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A reimagining of the classic tale - 'Twas a Night Before Christmas - with a bilingual twist. For native English speakers, this offers the perfect blend of English and Spanish, very similar to watching an episode of children's favorite little explorer, with a helpful glossary in the back for the Spanish vocabulary used. The original tale is familiar enough that most readers should be able to follow the story with very little effort, and the text itself includes a message of cultural acceptance th ...more
Patrick
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: multi-cultural
A great book that shows a different spin on a classic tale. Similar to the familiar poem 'Night Before Christmas', Ms. Thong tells the tale of a Latin family on the night before Christmas as they make tamales, decorate, greet friends and celebrate. Rather than just replace some of the words from the familiar Clement's poem, the author creates her own story with the verse. Sprinkled in among the tale are words completely in Spanish with a glossary included. The only thing lacking was a phonetic g ...more
Angie
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
We super enjoyed this one in story time today. The mix of mostly English with some Spanish thrown in was kind of fun for a former Spanish teacher. It was spot on in terms of culture ... the music, food, family, decorations, and Mass were all well done. The illustrations so fun and colorful and showcasing Latinos but really examples of other ethnicities joining in as well.

(Know your clientele. It does mention going to Mass but nothing specific beyond that so I felt like it was ok since there was
Bethe
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Authentic feel to this Hispanic family Christmas. I fondly remember making tamales with friends. Love to watch for the pets in the pictures. Not perfect, nice rhythm and rhyme.
Zazu
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a Mexican-American, I get skeptical when I encounter supposedly multicultural books- they often get it so wrong! But this book is wonderful (and accurate)!!!

I love the festive Spanish vocab, colorful illustrations, and fun story.
This is the perfect book for multicultural families: kids who can relate will love seeing their unique holiday traditions in a storybook for once; others will be educated, inspired, and feel good about whatever unique holiday traditions your family has!
Everyone's spec
The Bookloft
Bookseller: Zazu

I love the festive Spanish vocab, colorful illustrations, and fun story.
This is the perfect book for multicultural families: kids who can relate will love seeing their unique holiday traditions in a stprybook for once; others will be educated, inspired, and feel good about whatever unique holiday traditions your family has
Ann Cox
A Spanish language spin on 'Twas the Night Before Christmas that explains how children in a Spanish speaking country spend Christmas Eve. I thought the new spin, that keeps the original's poetic form and rhyme scheme, was very well done. It does a good job at introducing children to another culture as well as teaching them new Spanish words. The illustrations were cute. I would recommend this as a read aloud for preschoolers and early elementary aged children. Some early elementary aged children ...more
Sagi
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WONDERFUL & ADORABLE! Even though I'm Caucasian, I've grown up in the Southwest & this book was rich w/cultural traditions & images that give me a little sense of home and wanderlust at the same time. Very positive, very encouraging - I want to buy it for my niece & other children right away! Maybe even keep a copy for myself... & great pictures - the text & images are spaced out nicely for reading along w/a child on your lap or reading to a group around a fireplace. < ...more
Amy
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great book for a bilingual audience! It's the Night Before Christmas told with Spanish words sprinkled throughout. The meter and rhyme was perfect! A glossary is a the back for translating the words. You don't have o know very much Spanish to make this work as a read-aloud. A family celebrates Christmas with lots of traditions from Mexico and Guatemala, including Midnight Mass, fireworks and posadas. Great illustrations also lend a warm and joyful feeling to the book.
Sandie, Teen Lit Rocks
I don't usually review all the picture books I read, but since I reviewed this one for Common Sense Media I figured it was worth adding: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book... Such a great read for me to share with my kids. I'm not Mexican American, but since I am Latina and my family celebrated Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day, I loved reading this book with my younger kids.
Lynn
I like exploring various illustrated versions of Moore's poem, but seldom care for variations of the words. The multicultural characters in the story seem to be telling us to share the holidays with those of other backgrounds.
The cover is extremely inviting, and I wonder if this would be popular in Spanish-speaking communities.
Jillian Heise
A lovely "fractured" retelling of The Night Before Christmas told from a Latino perspective filled with pinatas, midnight mass, and tamales. The rhyming text includes numerous Spanish words, with a glossary at the end, and note from the author on what sparked the idea for this story. A great picture book to share at Christmas time to look at how various cultures celebrate the holiday.
Samantha
This twist on the classic 'Twas the Night Before Christmas reimagines the poem with Spanish words and celebration.

A glossary of Spanish terms is included along with an author's note that helps readers understand the inspiration for this book.

Highly recommended seasonal read aloud with PreK-2.
Cemeread
Dec 10, 2014 added it
Shelves: children
The narrative describes the tradition well and the illustrations are colorful and good, but I would not say it is a story in English and Spanish. There are Spanish words sprinkled in in italics with a glossary at the end. (No pronunciation key)
Jessica
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buy
Loved this book! So cute! Totally depicts our Mexican Christmas traditions accurately. It's so fun and so cute. Definitely a must read and buy! It would make a cute gift as well.
Debby Baumgartner
In English with Spanish words, a take off of the night before Christmas.
Natalie Houston
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lively colorful illustrations with a peppering of Spanish words in a mostly English text, introduce Hispanic Christmas traditions including caroling and traditional foods.
Yolanda
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this version of the classic poem. Must read.
Brittany
Professional Support/Diverse Lit Paper resource
Vicki
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A sweet holiday book that sprinkles Spanish words amongst this rhyming book that seems similar to The Night Before Christmas. The illustrations are charming and colorful.
Lisa
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-picture-books
Cute book about Mexican Christmas traditions. Includes glossary of Spanish words used.
Lynda Shoup
I must add this book to our collection. I'll be interested to see if it wins a Pure Belpre Award.
Christine Pyles
May 07, 2016
Daniel
Dec 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Also writes as Roseanne Greenfield Thong.
More about Roseanne Thong