Start by marking “The Lost Key (A Brit in the FBI, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Key (A Brit in the FBI, #2)

The Lost Key

(A Brit in the FBI #2)

"A thriller packed with nonstop action, real-life name-dropping and enough cutting-edge science to make you wonder how much of it could be true." --"Kirkus Reviews"
"The newest entry in the sizzling international thriller series featuring Nicholas Drummond, from #1 New York Times-bestselling author Catherine Coulter."
Freshly minted FBI agent Nicholas Drummond is barely o
Published September 30th 2014 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Key, please sign up.
Paraphrodite These are more like James Bond super-spies / Indiana Jones treasure hunters stories. At least with these first 2 books. Lots of action and seriously…moreThese are more like James Bond super-spies / Indiana Jones treasure hunters stories. At least with these first 2 books. Lots of action and seriously crazy villains. (less)

Julie
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Lost Key by Catherine Coulter and J.T. Ellison is a 2015 Jove publication.

Another action-packed thriller in the “Brit in the FBI” series!

The first book in this series was a very clever caper style thriller, but this second book is a globe-trotting adventure tale, and is every bit as entertaining!!

It’s Nicholas’s first official day of work for the FBI and he makes quite an impression after a man is killed on Wall Street. The story takes off from there, when several puzzling leads direct Ni
Vintage
Once again, the narrators rule. In The Final Cut the suspense and story elements were tops, but there was a serious drop in coherent story and suspense elements as a convoluted Ludlum-esque secret society’s desire to control and better the world tanked.

This secret society was the absolute worst as the high profile body count rose surely they would know that this is a tipoff to both the FBI, MI5 and anyone else pulled into investigate the number of deaths. But bad publicity doesn’t stop the bad
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in two days because I had trouble putting it down. There were a lot of characters to keep track of and the plot was quite complicated, but it was riveting. I enjoyed the real WWI history that was intertwined with the fiction. Nicolas Drummond is an excellent character and Mike Caine is a strong female heroine. I look forward to reading many more adventures of a Brit in the FBI.
I received an uncorrected proof of this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Mark Rubinstein
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you want an action-packed FBI thriller with a fascinating protagonist--Nicholas Drummond--then this is the novel for you. A man is stabbed to death on Wall Street and Drummond along with his sidekick, Mike, is assigned to the case. But it's much more than it at first seems, as the hunt takes them to Paris, Scotland and other remote places. The stakes are high, actually, they could not be higher because the fate of the world hangs in the balance. This collaborative novel, written with J.T. Ell ...more
Jackie
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Frankly, I had forgotten I had read the first issue of this series. (Not the result the authors were hoping for, I'm sure.) At some point in time I must have heard about this book coming out and put it on hold at the library. When I looked at the cover I was a teensy bit crestfallen: yes, another-Catherine-Coulter-book-what-was-I-thinking-she's-been-a-disappointment-recently.

Then, I realized J.T. Ellison was listed as co-author. Oh, yay! The addition of Ms. Ellison has only enhanced the end prod
Alex is The Romance Fox
This is the 2nd book of Britt in the FBI, with ex Detective Chief Inspector Sir Nicholas Drummond of the London Metropolitan Police, now with NY FBI and teamed up with Michaela aka Mike Caine.

On his first day at work after completing his training, they are assigned to a murder case which immediately takes them on a non-stop action journey that spans back to WW2, megalomaniac villains, crazed scientists and shadowy and secret groups.
The two main characters are likeable and easy to engage with and
Meghan
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
International intrigue with an historical twist that I loved! In the second book of this series we start to get more of the dynamic between Mike and Nicholas which I am loving them together. They are the first set of partners/maybe a couple in the future that I have enjoyed as much as Sherlock and Savich in CC work. We got to revisit with Nicholas dad and butler who have quickly become two of my favorites! Such loyalty, humor and character. I loved the action and quick pace of this story and the ...more
Val
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, 2018, crime, fbi, thriller
I really like this series! Usually I don't like books that are so over-the-top but this series grabs me. I think it's a combination of loving the relationship between Mike and Nicholas, as well as the story connections to historical figures, events, and places. I think I enjoy reading the author's notes as much as I enjoy reading the actual stories! Can't wait to read the next one!!
Mike French
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The second in the "A Brit in the FBI" series. The 2 main characters in Catherine Coulter' s FBI series-Sherlock and Savich are just mentioned in this book,so a new reader of hers can enjoy this book!

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELTS AND HOLD ON TIGHT! This book has non stop ACTION from start to finish! I highly recommend this book to all my THRILLER GR friends!
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had fun researching for his review and collecting my thoughts. There is some interesting stuff in this book. I loved it.

The Lost Key, the second installment in “A Brit In The FBI Series”, written by Catherine Coulter with J. T. Ellison, is a page-turner. This novel features former Scotland Yard detective, Nicholas (Nick) Drummond, now a rookie at the FBI, and his partner Michaela (Mike) Caine. The plot is extremely insightful in that it will keep the reader thinking about future dangers.

Nick
Diane
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pulse pounding continuation of "A Brit in the FBI" series - gotta love "Drummond, Nicholas Drummond"!

Newly graduated from Quantico, Nicholas is paired with "Mike Caine" to investigate a stabbing that happened on Wall Street in New York City. Before you know it the pair are deep into a very complicated investigation on a few different fronts. What exactly is "the lost key"? and what "lock" does it fit? Read the book!

Loving this series, 4.5 stars and 2 thumbs up!
MissSusie
This book started out a bit slow for me and it took me a little while to warm up to the narrators but I ended up really liking this story and the narration once I got used to it.

This book had a conspiracy theory, a historical artifact that may be the key to the worst weapon ever, a large amount of gold bars and a secret society trying to make the world a better place. However when you have powerful people after something very important there is always a chance for someone to be subverted and whe
Carolyn
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every single time I read a book from Catherine Coulter's FBI series (I have read them all, twice), I am always amazed at her ability to keep the storylines fresh, so very clever and exciting. Each book is literally an "edge of your seat" read. I particularly love her main characters, FBI Special Agents Savich and Sherlock. Now, Ms. Coulter has started a mirror FBI series with two new FBI characters, one of which is a former New Scotland Yard, aristocrat Brit Nicholas Drummond (who was introduced ...more
Barbara ★
I really, really like the combination of Mike Caine and Nicholas Drummond. They have amazing chemistry and have compatible cognitive skills allowing them to hit problems from two different directions which make for a stimulating read.

This is the second adventure in the series and it's as exciting as the first. This is more an adventure than a mystery novel. More along the lines of Cotton Malone or Dirk Pitt than any boring old FBI book. So far this series is get-up-and-go adventure from the firs
Tina
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one. The best from coulter that I've read in awhile. I also was bored of the savich series. Thumbs up on this one

Nicholas Drummond has just left his job in London and come to New York as a new FBI agent. His new partner is Mike Caine and on his first day they are called out to a stabbing on Wall Street. They track down the murderer only to have him commit suicide as soon as they have him in their custody. As they start investigating the victim, John Pearce, they find connecti
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
THREE AND A HALF STARS....this is the second in Coulter's Brit in the FBI series, and it was lots of fun and had enjoyable international tension, but was maybe a tad too long. Don't understand why it was written by Coulter AND Ellison; I hope Ms. Coulter is not going the way of Patterson -- books with the author name in huge letters on the front but written by various other people so the main author can make more and more money at the expense of good writing and fresh plots. The ending tied ever ...more
comfort
One of the problems with listening to books, is that-THAT is the voice you associate with the characters. Whilst not awful, I found the mans voice a bit "affected", some and I say, only SOME of the words he pronounces are just so wrong, it is jarring and I became fixated on how much they annoyed me. I am not sure if it is an American trying to do British and was pronouncing the words the way he thinks they should be said. I should look him up but can't be arsed just now.

I didn't love this story,
Amy
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow! There is sooooo much action in this book, taking place over a very short period of time. To be honest I need to go back and read The Final Cut because I pretty much forgot who Mike and the other supporting characters were. This could have been read as a stand alone. There might have been a few instances of confusion, but it wouldn't detract from the non-stop action. I was getting a little bit bored with the Savich/Sherlock books so it is nice to have new characters to root for.
Gerard
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Audio edition.

Another well written, if a bit hokey, thriller by Coulter. Exciting with engaging characters and a preposterous plot.

Narration by MacLeod Andrews and Renee Raudman added to experience, adding to the depth of characters.

Pet peeves: a satellite can be LEO (low earth orbit), or geosynchronous, but it can't be both. (See Kepler, Newton, et. al.) And Potassium Iodide is not a magic bullet that stops ionizing radiation.
Wendy
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Key, the lost book

I just could not get into this book. The story was just not my cup of tea, it just wasn't believable enough for me. Usually I can overlook that in a book because that's what fiction is about. It took me weeks to finish this book. Now I'm just ready for another Savich and Sherlock novel.
Sue
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-suspense
This was excellent, think sexy, smart, James Bond updated and he has a great kick butt partner. Looking forward to more collaborations.
Linda Munro
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a Brit in the FBI book. Nicholas Drummond has all sorts of law enforcement background, he is also what Americans call a cowboy; but he has joined the FBI and he is about to embark on his first day as a special agent. Of course, Nicholas craves adventure; but never in his wildest dreams could he have foreseen what his first few days on the job would become….

What begins with a call of a murder on federal property, will end in the death, albeit accidental, of the perpetrator at Nicholas’ ha
Cathryn Dolly
this is my first time reading this author, this series of British of fb I, has keep me interested in the situations happening almost like I was watching a Indiana Jones adventure thriller movie. I almost forget to get back into the real world, thinking about the plot, historical and current events, characters locations etc
I will read more of her books. . I would recommend this to anyone likes thriller or different locations, some current themes, fast paced adventure.
Cheryl Landmark
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come soon.
Nancy
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Love this author. Exciting, suspenseful, everything a suspenseful mystery could ask, for!!!!!

The newest entry in the sizzling international thriller series featuring Nicholas Drummond, from #1 New York Times–bestselling author Catherine Coulter.

Freshly minted FBI agent Nicholas Drummond is barely out of his Quantico training when he and his partner, Mike Caine, are called to investigate a stabbing on Wall Street.

Their investigation, however, yields more questions than answers. It qui
Linda
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-read, mysteries
Although I did not read the first book in this series, it was easy to get into the main characters and their interactions. Nicholas Drummond is about to start his first day in the New York FBI office, having recently transferred from the London police force. His female partner, Mike, and he are quickly assigned a murder case and during the witness interviews, the murderer returns to the scene of the crime and when pointed out, leads a merry chase for Nicholas. When he finally apprehends him, the ...more
Pasan Rajadasa
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book of this 'Brit in the FBI' series. And it served me well as the first book in 2016.

It is clear that the pace of the story is predetermined, maybe a common thing with the authors I don't know. It obviously isn't a bad thing, finishing the whole conspiracy and the world crisis within 2 days, but I felt like being dragged along in a rough cement, in the process. The pace should've grown along instead of maintaining the steady status from the first page. I found this a little annoying i
Tom Tischler
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The new FBI agent Nicholas Drummond is just out of Quantico training
and it's his first day on the job with his new partner Mike Caine. They
are called to investigate a stabbing on Wall St. Upon investigation the
victim John Pearce a naval historian and rare book antiquities dealer
is more than he appears to be. He seems to have devoted his life to find-
ing a World War I U boat concealing a stash of gold bullion. When they
find that both of Peace's adult children have disappeared the case assumes
a ne
Sherrie Saint
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book. After meeting the characters of Mike Caine and Nicholas Drummond in The Final Cut, it is great to see how their characters are evolving. It hard to say who is tougher--Mike or Nicholas. In The Lost Key, Nicholas and Mike are trying to save the world and find the lost key and papers of Marie Curie to keep the evil mastermind Manfred Havelock from getting them and destroying the world as we know it. Manfred is a great maniacal mind and his friend Elise brings some interesting note ...more
Darcy
It was interesting how this one morphed as it went on. At the start it seemed like a fairly cut and dry murder, but by the end things got complicated. A secret group protecting the world, a hidden weapon that made todays weapons seem like a toy and a conspiracy that sent them all over the UK.

I liked how Nicholas and Mike worked through things to keep up with the bad guy. There were times that they seemed stunned by what they learned, not quite sure if they should believe it.

I liked how things e

• The Immortals (Taylor Jackson, #5)
  • Going Twice (Forces of Nature, #2)
  • Adventures of a Sea Hunter: In Search of Famous Shipwrecks
  • Live to See Tomorrow (Catherine Ling, #3)
  • Haunted (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #15)
  • With a Vengeance
  • A Dubious Curse (Colton Banyon Mysteries, #8)
  • Grave Trouble (Lexi Graves Mystery, #2.5)
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Compulsion (Max Revere, #2)
  • Unscrewed (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #3)
  • A Perfect Obsession (New York Confidential #2)
  • Elvis and the Tropical Double Trouble
  • Spirits of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun #6.5)

A Brit in the FBI (6 books)
  • The Final Cut (A Brit in the FBI, #1)
  • The End Game (A Brit in the FBI, #3)
  • The Devil's Triangle (A Brit in the FBI, #4)
  • The Sixth Day (A Brit in the FBI, #5)
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
“Nigel was smiling, the bloody sod. He was loving playing the formal English butler, watching Nicholas turn red and tongue-tied. He saw Mike was grinning, quite enjoying herself. “Oh, bugger off, both of you.” He stomped up the stairs, the sound of Mike’s and Nigel’s laughter following him.” 1 likes
“his Webley in front of him” 0 likes