Start by marking “Marked Down for Murder (Good Buy Girls, #4)” as Want to Read:
Marked Down for Murder (Good Buy Girls, #4)

Marked Down for Murder

(Good Buy Girls Mystery #4)

By Jenn McKinlay, author of the Library Lover's mysteries and the Cupcake Bakery mysteries, writing as Josie Belle

Published September 2nd 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Marked Down for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marked Down for Murder

JoAn
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This was an intriguing cozy with a few twists are some sweet romance not only for Maggie and Sam but a few other couples in this series. I'm glad my library has all five books in this series so that I can enjoy each one.
Melodie
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015
Have I said before that these books are ridiculous? I actually like some of the characters, but some act SO immature! I had decided not to read any more of these after the 2nd book, but I won a copy of the 3rd one here on GR. It was an improvement over the first 2, so I thought the series was headed in the right direction. Wrong! The things that annoyed me were back and this actually read more like a romance for nearly the first half of the book. I don't like romances and if I wanted to read one ...more
Jennifer Brown
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm still enjoying this series and all, but Maggie was a little ridiculous in this one. She really didn't have to be all up in the investigation the way she was. Sam was really patient with her, but I honestly wanted to slap her! I do say that I was a little thrown about why the killer did what they did and the little twist with it. I guessed it easily but my theory was all wrong! I loved the way Summer changed and the dance party at the end was refreshing. I would love a small town life where t ...more
Debbie
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun series. I sure hope it continues because I've only got one more book to go.
Drebbles
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Maggie Gerber and Summer Phillips have been arch enemies for years. In high school Summer ruined Maggie's relationship with Sam Collins and even though it is years later and Maggie is finally with Sam she still doesn't trust Summer. When she meets Summer's mother Blair, Maggie begins to realize why Summer acts the way she does. Blair is so overwhelming that, much to her surprise, Maggie actually feels a bit sorry for Summer. Maybe because of that, when Summer is suspected of murder Maggie begins ...more
Ed
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
#4 in the Good Buy Girls mystery series. Maggie Gerber and her GBGs are an appealing collection of characters. Summer, Maggie's nemesis, is somewhat of a caricature as the bad girl who's not too bad. When Summer's mother comes to town with her third husband and starts scheming to separate Sam and Maggie so Sam will be available for Summer, the plot turns into slapstick.

Good Buy Girls mystery - Between spending Valentine's Day with her sweetheart, Sam, and shopping upcoming Presidents' Day sales
meghann
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was another great addition to the Good Buy Girls series. I did not expect to feel anything but loathing for Summer, but this was one of the many things that surprised me about this book. So much happened in the last 50 pages that it is hard to keep track of all the changes that are to come. And I was so convinced I knew how it would end, but I was 100% wrong. Love it.
Margaret
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Genocide. Sociopaths. Infantcide. And childhood incest in a religious cult.
Not in this book. This light, entertaining mystery was a welcome change of pace from four other books I was reading.
Sales shopping is more the gimmick for the series than the heartbeat of the book, heavy on romance, fair or foul, and on 4 assorted BFFs.
The mystery was simple but well worked out.
The review says thrifty recipes are included. I looked for them, specific dishes were mentioned that seemed an obvious setup for
Dallass
Wow! The apple didn’t fall far from the tree. Summer’s mother and stepfather have hit town and it’s not pretty. Blair is a spiteful, devious and manipulative character who delights in not only trying to make Maggie’s relationship bite the dust, but insists that Sam belongs with Summer. She really is a piece of work. However, the worm turns and I really enjoyed watching her squirm at times. Yet, she’s a survivor and tries to use this to her advantage in coming between Maggie and Sam.

Just a fun co
Sherrie
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This series has been a lot of fun. I enjoy the way they use the Gazebo in this particular book. Between spending Valentine’s Day with her sweetheart, Sam, and shopping upcoming Presidents’ Day sales with the Good Buy Girls, everything is coming up roses and bargains for Maggie Gerber. But when the mother of Maggie’s nemesis Summer comes in and decides that her boyfriend should be Summer's that is just not going to work. The book was hard to put down this time. Great ending wit ha good upbeat aft ...more
María Henández
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish the book... it was so predictable. This author, like in the cupcakes series made some kind of stupid and childish rivalry that became so ridiculous that I can't stand it. The first half of the book I read it.. in less than 20 min. it was so boring and I give up. It was horrible!!!
Tina
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really quick read. I am quite enjoying this series of murder mysteries.
Angie Walters
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Another great addition to a great series. Full of love & danger.
Val
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book! The ending was totally different then what I thought was going to happen. (Sometimes it's good to be wrong😜)
D
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Good Buy Girls are back with a new very twisted plot line. The entertainment continues in this fun read with all the great characters from this series.
Jenn
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This series is...fine. I loathe the extreme rivalries that McKinlay seems to require in her books, but other than that, the story is decent. The ending was a little ridiculous here.
Heidi Prockish
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
So good! I read it in one day. I think this is my favorite book in the series so far. I can't wait to read the next one.
Linda
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hard to believe Maggie is helping her nemesis in a quirky turn of events. Looking for the next story, as I get so involved I have trouble putting the book down.
Lorraine
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This books features somewhat of a twist in Maggie's relationships. Another enjoyable read, though everything gets wrapped up a little too neatly. And, I don't mean at the store.
Mary
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read. Good characters, interesting plot.
OpenBookSociety.com
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jeanie

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Jeanie

Marked Down for Murder is Josie Belle’s (aka Jenn McKinlay) 4th cozy in the Good Buy Girl Mystery series. It can be read as a stand-alone novel without having had read the earlier ones. Be prepared, however, after reading this novel, you might want to get the first ones as these are some of the most fun gals to spend time with! I had only recently read the first book and already know that I have to get #2 and 3.

Maggie G
Tamara
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted: Traveling With T

Traveling With T bought this for her personal reading.

Marked Down For Murder

Summary from Goodreads:

Between spending Valentine’s Day with her sweetheart, Sam, and shopping upcoming Presidents’ Day sales with the Good Buy Girls, everything is coming up roses and bargains for Maggie Gerber. But when the mother of Maggie’s nemesis comes to town, things stop looking so rosy. Summer’s mom is hoping to set her spoiled daughter up with Sam, and she’ll do whatev
Cathy Cole
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
No two ways about it-- I love this series. It's a bit of a surprise since I believe the best bargain is getting out of shopping altogether. Just goes to show that these books are about so much more than bargain-hunting women on a mission to shop. Out of all the crime fiction that I read, Maggie Gerber is one of my favorite characters. Her depth of spirit and heart make her a wonderful mother and friend; she's got a good sense of humor; and she's feisty and not afraid of standing up for what she ...more
Lesa
I had an English teacher who would have marked me down for the comment I'm going to make about the characters in Josie Belle's latest mystery, Marked Down for Murder. What word would you use to describe Maggie Gerber and her friends the Good Buy Girls when they all team up to help Maggie's nemesis? The most appropriate description is they're "nice" women.

Summer Phillips and Maggie have been competitive since they were five years old. They both liked Sam Collins in high school. They even own cons
Amy
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! Jenn McKinlay (aka Josie Belle) is really good at creating unique characters and settings for each of her series. This is the 3rd series of hers I've tried now and I love them all and yet each one feels completely brand new. Though they all have the authors wit and writing style, the characters each have their own personalities and voices. I started this series here, with the 4th book, because I won it in a contest but I'm definitely going to go buy the rest of the seri ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Maggie is looking forward to spending Valentines Day with her boyfriend Sam and shopping Presidents day sale's with her friends the Good Buy Girls. But when Maggie nemesis Summer's Mom comes to town problems arise for Maggie. It seems Summer's Mom wants wants to set Summer up with Sam Maggie's Fiance and she is willing to do anything to make it happen. When Maggie goes to Summer's house to try to put a stop to the plan. She finds Summer standing over a dead body- holding a weapon. As much as she ...more
Cheryl
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book 4th in the series about Maggie's thrift store and her group of bargain shoppers. This book has very little about shopping and more about Maggie and her boyfriend Sam. Maggie has an enemy named Summer, since grade school who wants Maggie's boyfriend. Summer and her mother try different things to break them up, then Maggie finds Summer standing over her dead stepfather and Summer's mother getting shot at. She and her friends find out who did it and why.
Eva
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed this series since the very first book. While the setting is a bit bland and underdeveloped enough to be called in distinct, I do enjoy the cast of characters. This installment may have to be my favorite to date. A lovely Valentine's Day themed cozy with a satisfying and romantic ending that will leave fans of Maggie and Sam cheering. Nice character development and an engaging mystery to solve. I will be watching for the next in this series!
❂ Jennifer
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I've decided to stick with Jenn McKinlay's three series she writes in her own name. The writing quality of this series just isn't as good, in my opinion and I can't get past it. Likeable characters though, and I wish them all well.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/100141...
April
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Maggie and Sam face a new set of problems when Summer's mom Blair comes to town. Blair's husband Bruce is murdered and Summer is found standing over him with the murder weapon. It's Valentine's Day and Sam and Maggie go out. Joanne is about to have her baby.
It's an interesting ride and the murderer isn't home grown which is a relief to residents.

• Chili Con Carnage (Chili Cook-Off Mystery #1)
  • Sealed with a Kill (A Decoupage Mystery, #3)
  • A Second Helping of Murder (A Comfort Food Mystery, #2)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
  • Beef Stolen-Off (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #2)
  • Murder of a Needled Knitter (A Scumble River Mystery, #17)
  • Meow If It's Murder (Nick and Nora Mysteries, #1)
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • A Catered Christmas Cookie Exchange (A Mystery with Recipes, #9)
  • Catnapped! (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #13)

Good Buy Girls Mystery (5 books)
  • 50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girls, #1)
  • A Deal to Die For (Good Buy Girls, #2)
  • Buried in Bargains (Good Buy Girls, #3)
  • All Sales Final (Good Buy Girls #5)