Start by marking “Wickedly Dangerous (Baba Yaga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wickedly Dangerous (Baba Yaga, #1)

Wickedly Dangerous

(Baba Yaga #1)

Known as the wicked witch of Russian fairy tales, Baba Yaga is not one woman, but rather a title carried by a chosen few. They keep the balance of nature and guard the borders of our world, but don’t make the mistake of crossing one of them…

Older than she looks and powerful beyond measure, Barbara Yager no longer has much in common with the mortal life she left behind long
Mass Market Paperback, 329 pages
Published September 2nd 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Wickedly Dangerous, please sign up.
Aloysius You mean the witch? No, I don't think so. …moreYou mean the witch? No, I don't think so. (less)

Start your review of Wickedly Dangerous (Baba Yaga, #1)
Mara
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr
Wickedly Dangerous reminded me of a well-known cocktail drink ordered at an unknown joint. You don't really know how good the barman is, but more or less you know what taste the drink is going to have. Then, when the drink arrives, you realize that the barman used sparkling wine rather than champagne. However good the wine is, and yes it's good, it's not exactly the same thing.

WD started strong, but midway through it started to go downhill. You realize soon enough there's something missing, but
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Much orbit-shattering eye-rolling occurred while this book was being read. And much mandibula-breaking yawning, too. Not to mention the many mind-blowingly idiotic acts of sheer idiocy that were repeatedly committed by both lame MCs (that’s gender equality for you). Woo hoo! Let’s dance and stuff!

But hey, it’s not ALL bad. Of course not. The book is clichéd as fish, too. AND BLOODY SHRIMPING ROMANCE IN DISGUISE. And formulaic as shrimp. AND BLOODY SHRIMPING ROMANCE IN DISGUISE. And packed with m
Jacob Proffitt
This book isn't awful, but I just couldn't keep going (after about 15%). I think the real problem is that it completely flubs the central premise—a tie into Russia's Baba Yaga. Now that's a fantastic idea and one that's kind of obvious in hindsight for a UF, but it's just really, really poorly realized. I mean, I expected Baba to be watered down a bit as she's playing a heroic role here. But Barbara Yager just isn't cutting it.

I have a soft spot for all the trickster beings in legends. They fulf
Maria V. Snyder
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book! Deborah takes the Russian legend of an old witch - Baba Yaga and brings her into the modern world. Barbara Yeager is "called" to the aid of a small town where 5 children have disappeared. Barbara (aka Baba) is the guardian between our world and the other world where mythical creatures exist. The book has mystery, fantasy, magic, romance, humor and a fun cast of characters. I loved Chudo Yudo - the small dragon disguised as a very large dog.

I especially liked Barbara/Baba's char
John
Jun 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
3.5 stars rounded up to 4. This book was great fun to read, clearly a four-star ride or better, and it only lost points with me for structural imbalance and especially for the author's regrettable decision to obey canons of paranormal romance that just don't fit in an otherwise terrific storyline. The publisher's blurb, repeated at the top of this Goodreads page, sets the story up quite well, so I'll just expand on it here.

Not only Baba Yaga but numerous other magical figures from Old Russian my
Vero
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not all bad, but not good enough. I am on a long and sad search for UF books that are in the same league as Kate Daniels.
I had high hopes for this with the rather unique take on Baba Yaga.

It was not a particularly good read for me.

I am disappointed as it was a mostly very boring read (a little better towards the end), but it was all in all a very formulaic UF run-of-the-mill PNR book.

It was not dark at all - had some ridiculous drama and all was perfect with the world after the MCs finished t
You may think you know the legend of Baba Yaga from Russian fairytales but all of the legends are true. In fact, Barbara Yager is one of three Baba Yaga witches in the United States, and along with her sisters, it is her job to keep nature in balance and to guard the portals between earth and the Otherworld. When Barbara's gift pulls her to a small town with several missing children it should be a fairly easy case but it quickly becomes clear that something sinister is going on. There is obvious ...more
Ami
Wickedly Dangerous , first in a new series by Deborah Blake, brings forth the retelling of Baba Yaga, a child-eating witch of Russian folklore. Baba Yaga, in Blake’s world, is not the name of a single woman but more of a job title. Baba Yaga maintains balance of the natural world — they are like the agents from the Otherworlds — sometimes being helped by three (gorgeous!) Riders. Barbara Yager is one of the Baba Yagas in the United States. She comes to Clearwater County after sort-of being ‘s ...more
Jen
4.5 stars - great!

This book was/is really great. I really love stories that feature Baba Yaga. I haven't read many of them, but I really love them. (I really love any story that features any creatures or beings from Russian mythology/folk stories.) :-)

The only reason I'm not giving this story a full five stars is because, even though I laughed out loud and had tears in my eyes once each and found one line that I really just loved, something felt off. I think it was the relationship between B
☕️Kimberly
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a good time listening to Wickedly Dangerous. From its suspenseful story to the humor, and magic, Blake drew me as the reader right into the story and introduced me to Barbara Yager and her dragon-turned-dog in her enchanted Airstream. Now if that sentence did not peak your interest keep reading.

You have probably heard of Baba Yaga—the archetypal wicked witch of Russian tales who lived in a log hut that walked about on chicken legs, rode through the forests in a giant mortar that she steere
Mandy
Wickedly Dangerous is the first installment in the Baba Yaga Series. Barbara is a guardian of the boarders and balancer of nature, but also a witch and sometimes the wicked witch. She’s been called to upstate New York to deal with a case of missing children as well as something that is damaging the area and a possible open door to the other world. Arriving in town she quickly draws attention being a small town and the only stranger. Barbara quickly starts to befriend people offering magical salv ...more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Barbara Yager hasn't been much of a human ever since she's taken on the role of Baba Yaga... Tasked to keep the balance of nature and guard the borders of our world. Now she travels the country posing as an herbalist and researcher, with her faithful dragon pit bull in an enchanted Airstream. When the charming but frustrating Sheriff Liam McClellan suspects her of stealing three innocent children her own heart will be on the line...

My Thoughts.
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
read this review on Got Fiction? book blog

This story was a bit of a let down. It comes across as an Urban Fantasy, but ends up being more of a Contemporary Romance with paranormal aspects. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, except…this was just too easy, and too light. I’d call it PNR lite.

So we have this amazing new paranormal concept-bringing in Russian mythology in the form of the Baba Yaga. We have a leather wearing, sword toting, dragon having, motorcycle riding witch. She’s called to a sm
Ian
This is definitely a book I wish I had ½ Stars for. 3 Stars seems unfair, 4 Stars seems too generous.

The good.

Mostly the beginning. Up until about the 60% point I enjoyed it and only have minor complaints.

The Bad.

That last 40% dragged. It's a standalone so things that other authors might have saved for later books were all packed into the last 40% of this book. It doesn't quite work.
Sophia
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
When an author takes a lesser known mythology and brings it into modern times giving it her own splash of personality, I am always eager to grab up the story to see where it will take me. Deborah Blake breathed new life into the Baba Yaga tale giving us a lush, exciting book world to get lost in.

"It's not a name; its a title" Baba Yaga explains, but its also an attitude. This new Baba Yaga does it with flair. She rolls into a small town of Upstate New York in her silver truck and modern travel
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Children have been disappearing, and a Baba Yaga has been summoned to find them. Will she and the good-looking sheriff be able to work together to find them?

Opening Sentence: The crackle of the two-way radio barely impinged on Liam McClellan’s consciousness as he scanned the bushes on either side of his squad car for any sign of a missing seven-year-old girl.

The Review:

Three children have disappeared in a small town. Sheriff Liam McLellan is dri
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Barbara Yager is one of the Baba Yaga, a human, nature-witch of sorts. She was summoned to Clearwater County by an elderly Russian couple whose granddaughter was kidnapped. Right from the start, Baba realizes that otherworldly forces are at work, and that there is a menacing connection between the proposed hydro-fraking of the land and the missing children.

Liam McClellan is the hardworking sheriff whose job is on the line because of the missing children. He knows there is something unusual, som
All Things Urban Fantasy
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

The mythology of Baba Yaga portrays her as an old witch who lives in the woods in a spinning house that stands on chicken feet. She helps or hurts those who look for her based on what they do for her. I grew up reading and hearing stories of Baba Yaga so it was great to see a book that could effectively ‘modernize’ Baba Yaga and still keep the essence of who she is and what she does for people. I like how the Baba Yaga mythology is added to with Barbara
Booknut
A tantalizing mix of metal, magic and mayhem, Wickedly Dangerous is an urban fantasy novel that's not to be missed. Its contents delighted me from start to finish & I can't wait to read more of the series! ...more
Kate
Gah, another flop for me. DNF @ 47% - Full thoughts to come.
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)
See this review and others like it at Badass Book Reviews!

Deborah Blake's Wickedly Dangerous was a pleasant surprise! I was expecting a somewhat generic, yet entertaining paranormal romance, but this book was actually an action-packed urban fantasy with a unique and intriguing mythology. The writing was clear and concise, nothing that I would describe as special, but it worked for the straight-forward heroine, Barbara Yager.

Barbara Yager is one of three women in the US that work under the title
Chris
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this book as part of GoodReads First Reads giveaway.

Overall, this was an interesting and fast paced read that I enjoyed. I especially liked the idea of the Baba Yaga being a title passed down from witch to witch. I think it affords some neat opportunities for sequels. After this our heroine can settle down happily ever after (or not as the case may be) and Ms Blake can go on to write another in the series about another Baba Yaga facing different challenges, meeting different character
Tori
C+

“You have probably heard of Baba Yaga-the wicked witch of Russian tales who lived in a log hut that walked about on chicken legs, rode through the forests in a giant mortar steered with a pestle, and ate small small children if they didn’t behave. According to legend, Baba Yaga usually appeared as an ugly crone, although she also wore other faces, and sometimes gave aid to a worthy seeker, if one could pass her tests.

You probably think you know who Baba Yaga is. But you’d be wrong. Because I’m
I think this is the kind of story I'd have liked a lot better if I hadn't studied Russian history and culture, and thus had less of an image of Baba Yaga already in my mind. A Baba Yaga who's credible as a powerful witch of ambiguous nature is not really suited to the fluttering of romantic heroines. The dissonance became more jarring for me toward the end of the book, and I really struggled with the last hundred pages. ...more
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Review to come
Listened to this one in audio, I really enjoyed this!!
4.5
Debbie Lester
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Deborah Blake brings readers the first book in a new series, Wickedly Dangerous. Blake has taken an old world fairy-tale and turned it into a modern paranormal romance. Readers who are familiar with the Russian fairy-tale character, Baba Yaga, will certainly recognize her in Dr. Barbara Yeager, a botanist on a mission. She isn't exactly the old hag of legend, and her dragon disguised as a dog, Chuba Yudo is quite the character in his own right. Readers looking for something more than the average ...more
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wickedly Dangerous by Deborah Blake

Magic and dragons. Or at least a small dragon disguised as a dog.
Children have been abducted from Clearwater County. The Sheriff hasn't had any success finding them or even finding suspects. Baba Yaga is called in to help. Sheriff Liam and Baba join forces to search for clues.
An Otherworld story of magic and evil.

It was an appealing story that tugs at the heartstrings. The author uses an abundance of flowery descriptive prose. It certainly builds the visual wor
Ren Puspita
3 stars

Wickedly Dangerous is the first installment of Baba Yaga series and also debut novel from Deborah Blake, whom, before this one writing mostly non fiction book. I pick this one because it's rare to read about Baba Yaga as main character, since usually this crone often portrayed as side characters or because her menace characteristic, a villain. Baba Yaga in Blake's world is not the crone that people used to know, but a title for a witch that kinda like "paranormal police". It's feel uniq
Julie
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chick

Wickedly Dangerous is the first book in a new paranormal romance series by Deborah Blake. The Baba Yaga series puts a new spin on the Russian tales about the witch who stalks children and has an interesting choice of transportation.

I feel the best way to write this review is to separate is into what I liked and what I didn’t so much like. So here goes.

What I enjoyed -

I liked Barbara (Baba). She is a strong character and I enjoyed watching her grow through
Marta Cox
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Now this is completely different and I'm so pleased that the old legend is given a new twist! For centuries the old Russian legend of Baba Yaga has both fascinated and terrified many but this new series brings a whole new spin on the idea of a woman connected by magic to the earth and woe betide any who cross her. Neither wholly good nor really wicked the Baba Yaga will often be sought by those needing help but making a bargain with her will often have consequences so beware!
Barbara Yeager is so

• Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1)
  • The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss, #1)
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
  • Autumn Bones (Agent of Hel, #2)
  • Dark Currents (Agent of Hel, #1)
  • Dark Heart of Magic (Black Blade, #2)
  • Fireborn (Souls of Fire, #1)
  • Once Upon Stilettos (Enchanted, Inc., #2)
  • Heart of Fire (Alice Worth #2)
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
  • Black Wings (Black Wings, #1)
  • Ghost Seer (Ghost Seer, #1)
  • Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Atlantis Rising (Warriors of Poseidon, #1)
  • Spells for the Dead (Soulwood #5)
See top shelves…
Deborah is the author of twelve non-fiction books on modern witchcraft and a tarot and oracle decks from Llewellyn and the Baba Yaga series, The Broken Rider series, and the Veiled Magic series (mostly from Berkley) as well as a few stand-alone novels.

Deborah lives in a 130 year old farmhouse in upstate NY with multiple cats, and runs an artists' cooperative shop when she's not writing. She believ

Baba Yaga (4 books)
  • Wickedly Wonderful (Baba Yaga, #2)
  • Wickedly Powerful (Baba Yaga, #3)
  • Wickedly Unraveled (Baba Yaga #4)