Start by marking “The Bus on Jaffa Road: A Story of Middle East Terrorism and the Search for Justice” as Want to Read:

As the morning sunlight crept over the limestone walls of Jerusalem’s old city, two young Americans flagged down a bus and got on. It was 6:45 a.m., February 25, 1996 -- an otherwise ordinary Sunday in Israel. Sara Duker and Matthew Eisenfeld settled into their seats as the door closed on Jerusalem’s Number 18 bus which would take them across the spine of this ancient city ...more
Published October 7th 2014 by Lyons Press (first published September 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Bus on Jaffa Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bus on Jaffa Road

Margaret Klein
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This is a poignant non-fiction book about the tragedy of terrorism. The main story is set in 1996 with the bombing of a bus, the Number 18 bus on Jaffa Road on a sunny, Sunday morning in February in Jerusalem. It traces how the perpetrators are tracked, prosecuted and then how the American families effected seek damages in the US Justice system. It was poignant and at times terrifying. From time to time it seemed naive as much of it happened before 9/11. It deals with geo-political realities and ...more
Randi
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
As someone who is Jewish and lives in Northern New Jersey, I remember well when these incidents took place. I found the story to be well researched and written, but also very depressing. I don't believe justice was served, and Iran has not been held to account for their role in sponsoring terrorist groups.
Susan
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My rabbi recommended this book. I haven't read too many books about Israel and thought it would be a bit academic, but was pleasantly surprised to find it very personal and quite a page turner. The book starts with the author's interview with a jailed terrorist. He then chronicles a couple of bus bombings in the mid-1990s and really gets into the characters of the Americans who were killed in those attacks. We learn about these young people and also about their families and how they grieved afte ...more
Anne
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love non-fiction books that read like novels because they're so much easier to get through, and they keep my attention better. "The Bus on Jaffa Road" reads so much like a novel that, at times, I forgot it's a true story.

Being a journalist, I hate to admit that I don't know as much about terrorism, counter-terrorism and all its facets as I should, but "The Bus on Jaffa Road" helped me gain a better understanding.

You can hear my interview with Mike Kelly at .
Dottie Resnick
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Remarkably well researched, documented and insightful look into terrorism. Sharing the stories of the victims and their families and looking into the motivations of the perpetrators, plus the legal and political ramifications of terrorist acts. This book brings terrorist acts from the overwhelming (in terms of numbers and stories) to a personal, individual and heart wrenching level.
Sharron
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's an in-depth study of more than just the one bus bombing. It's well researched and interesting. However it's not told linearly and gets annoying. Obviously, it jumps to different aspects of the story, the families, investigations in Israel, the politics and court cases...but there is no reason for the linear issues.
Debi
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Intense and powerful. Personally difficult to read. An excellent exploration of terror from every perspective.
Ryan Darcy
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
great book, informative, solid insight into what terrorism looks like. saddened by how Clinton handled the cases but get the reasoning.
Raskol