Start by marking “Little Knife (Grisha Verse, #2.6)” as Want to Read:
Little Knife (Grisha Verse, #2.6)

Little Knife

(Grishaverse #2.6)

In this third Ravkan folk tale from Leigh Bardugo, a beautiful girl finds that what her father wants for her and what she wants for herself are two different things.

It is a companion story to the third book of the Grisha Trilogy, Ruin and Rising, and the stories “The Witch of Duva” and “The Too-Clever Fox.”
Published June 24th 2014 by Tor Books (first published April 29th 2014)

~Poppy~
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Will you remain here with the father who tried to sell you, or the Prince who hoped to buy you, or the man too weak to solve his riddles for himself? Or will you come with me and be bride to nothing but the shore?”

Wow, I loved it!! I loved "Little Knife" aka the river!!

"She lived in happy solitude, and grew old, and never worried when her beauty faded, for in her reflection she always saw a free woman."
karen
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
so, yeah - bardugo is three for three in these tor shorts.

i have always loved fairy tales, since i was a little sprout, and the darker they were, the better i liked them. and when i discovered, as a slightly larger seedling, the phenomenon of taking fairytales and retelling or modernizing them, it was a wonderful thing indeed, because the authors retained the spirit of the original works, but made them slightly less didactic and simplistic and therefore a little more ambiguous. they tended to be
P
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
“And should you ever take a bride, listen closely to her questions. In them you may hear her true name like the thunder of a lost river, like the sighing of the sea.”

Leigh Bardugo is a talented author. When she tells a story, the dark twists are prominent and very successful to shock me. As for Little Knife, a very short story based on the Grisha world, I found out that this novella was enjoyable even though it was more like a tale for me. Something unreal and impossible happens and takes down
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
"Little Knife" is one of Leigh Bardugo's excellent short stories set in her Grisha universe. This one used to be up on Tor.com but apparently Bardugo or her publisher got them to pull it and The Too-Clever Fox when she was putting together The Language of Thorns collection. Now that I'm (finally) reading that collection, it was great to see my old friend "Little Knife" again.

It's fascinating to see Bardugo subverting so many traditional fairy tale tropes here. The duke's daughter Yeva is surpas
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
“I am no blunt knife to cut your sorry bread,” it said.
“I feed the fields and drown the harvest.
I am bounty and destruction.”

Even though I am not a big fan of the Grisha series, I absolutely love these short stories.
Fables&Wren
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WrensReads Review:

THIS IS JUST LIKE A GRIMM FAIRYTALE BUT BETTER.

"But as you leave that dark gap in the trees behind, remember that to use a thing is not to own it."

This was absolutely beautiful. You have everything you need.

☑ Unbelievably pretty girl thrown into hiding by her father
☑ Greedy Duke who only wants to profit from his daughter's beauty
☑ A prince fighting for her hand
☑ A poor man who is friend's with the river fighting for her hand
☑ Three task set the faith of the pretty girl

It is li
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
“She was terrifying in her beauty, bright like a devouring star.”

This novella was wonderfully good :) It was very captivating and I was hooked! This was about an absolutely breathtakingly stunning girl named Yeva. She is the duke's daughter. He is desperately trying to find the perfect suitor and therefore he sets out all these different challenges. Yeva's beauty makes men lose their minds at the sight of her and all want to clam her as their own. The ending message was powerful and lovely♥. And
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014, folktale
Thanks to the lovely karen I found this little gem. Leigh Bardugo can write! I love this type of story. At first I didn't think I was going to like Little Knife much because we had the perfect girl. Yeva-her beauty was enough to make men lose their senses, cause fights, yada yada.
Then her father the duke decided it was time for her to marry and figured was for himself to prosper.
Life has a way of not working out like you figure.

Steven
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017, fantasy
Now there's an ending I didn't see coming. I like it. :)
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

Little Knife is the third and final folk tale accompanying the Grisha trilogy. As with The Witch of Duva and The Too-Clever Fox, this one can be read apart from the trilogy.

This is a story about greed and how it can ruin everything. And it is beautiful. All Revka folk tales are beautiful. You should read them all, whether you wish to read the trilogy or not.
Dannii Elle
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This can be found online here: http://www.tor.com/2014/06/26/little-...

This is an accompanying short story to the Grisha series but can be read as a stand-alone piece.

Another mesmerising tale, inspired by classic folk lore. The subversion in this story was unprecedented and the ending was especially lovely. The moralistic conclusion provided a wry final commentary that stretched further than the confines of this actual tale.

I am enjoying these later accompanying tales even more than the original
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-works
"Remember that to use a thing is not to own it..."

Oh my gosh!

This one was BY FAR my favorite of the Grisha Tales. It's not that it's incredibly original per say, but it's so neat that Bardugo thought up these little stories that fit into her world. I think it really helps the world come alive, even if it doesn't directly involve the characters from The Grisha Trilogy.

All three of these are an absolute delight.
Len Evans Jr
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, leigh-bardugo
"remember to use a thing is not to own it."

I think this story is my favorite of the book thus far. The imagery is lush, the story is enthralling and the people populating it flawed. The author has once again created something to rival those fairy tales of old! A fun, tale of caution as well as an awesome read.
Victoria
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Remember that to use a thing is not to own it."

It's not a secret that I will read anything Leigh Bardugo writes. And every time I have the same question. How is it possible? How is it possible that her novellas and books are so good?
I'm not sure I blinked while reading.
"Little Knife" is a nicely written story with a moral and it gripped me from start to finish. And. And I want moooore fairy tales from Bardugo :((

Erica Ravenclaw
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
☆ ☆☆ ☆

No spoilers and colorful language abound!

The Witch of Duva
The Too-Clever Fox

photo tumblr_inline_mmanurut4l1qz4rgp_zpscebbbd2d.gif

I was a little "meh" until the very end, and BOOM.

Do it.

You are welcome.

Denisse
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Forget about novels, Leigh Bardugo, I can see myself in the future buying a book with only your short stories/tales. I'm not kidding. This woman has talent for short stories.

Hagan a un lado la trilogía de Los Grisha, las historias cortas que ha escrito en el mismo mundo son mil veces mejores. Ojala se aventurara en hacer un libro con puras historias cortas como esta.

Un mensaje sencillo y una escritura impecable.
...remember that to use a thing is not to own it...,listen closely to her question
c,
the river is a gay icon saving the girl from those men
Anna
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Dude.

I would gladly read a whole book filled with such short stories.
Okay, that's it..... I'm in love with a woman!! This has never happened to me before..... but Leigh Bardugo, you win my fairytale loving heart.... hands-down my favourite tor-short thus far <3

I took a little break from the moving and the chaos of this weekend, and boy, am I glad I did! I loved this tor short, LOVED!! I'm sold on your Grisha series, missy..... and as soon as I eck through some of my monster TBR shelf it is ON!!

This has all the lovely, underhanded and misguided teaching of a tr
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
{December 11th, 2014} MINI-REVIEW

4 stars.

A very spooky fairytale that truly paints an important moral (or morals). Truly something to read to keep the Grishaverse alive for you. Wish I could say more but kind of hard without spoiling anything. x:
Aisyah ♡
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good Ravkan folk tale, involving a Grisha, a prince and a beautiful girl.
daisy
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, but when is Leigh Bardugo going to write a book of fairytales? I need that in my life.
isabelle
Leigh Bardugo is a wizard with words and dark tales.
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
"To use a thing is not to own it."

I'm positively reeling. Rtc.
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
But as you leave that dark gap in the trees behind, remember that to use a thing is not to own it. And should you ever take a bride, listen closely to her questions. In them you may hear her true name like the thunder of a lost river, like the sighing of the sea.

I admit that I have been in a bit of a funk lately. I'm not quite sure when it started, but I'm not sure of the cause of it or whether I can even pinpoint one exact cause in the first place. Reading used to get me out of these funks, u
Felicia [Felicia's Ink(t)]
"There is some debate over what Yeva Luchova actually looked like, whether her hair was burnished gold or lustrous black, whether her eyes were blue as sapphires or green as new grass. It is not the particulars of her beauty but the power of it that concerns us, and we need only know that Yeva was lovely from the moment of her birth.

She was so beautiful, in fact, that the midwife attending her mother snatched up the wailing infant and locked herself in a linen closet, begging for just another mo
Katerina Kondrenko
8 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

This fairytale is about a super-beautiful girl and a commoner with power over river. You're up mission-impossible-like tasks, smart tricks and an unexpected ending.

Quote-Core: "Remember that to use a thing is not to own it.

The Grishaverse (Вселенная Гриши):

The Grisha (Гриша):
The Demon
Dani
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Little Knife is a beautifully told Ravkan folktale about a bewitchingly lovely young girl, an avaricious father, and a poor Tidemaker. When the girl’s father sets out three difficult task for his daughter’s suitors, the impoverished Grisha outcast, who’s been enchanted by the girl’s loveliness, calls upon the river to help win him a wife and wealth.

I absolutely love Leigh’s style of storytelling in general, but particularly in these Ravkan fairytales. Her use of language is beautiful and her str
Ivy
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 🌟

Thought the story with the river was cool. Hope that Yeva and the river are enjoying themselves.
Cathryn
I love all the short stories from this series. Even if you didn't like the Grisha series I HIGHLY recommend the short stories. They are like fairy tales from this world and you don't need to know what's going on in the series to enjoy them.
The Grishaverse: Little Knife on Tor.com? 1 104 May 20, 2014 12:22PM
Goodreads Librari...: time-sensitive: deleted cover reappears - please delete! 5 82 Mar 14, 2014 04:10PM

• Burnt Sugar (Firebug, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Brimstone and Marmalade
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Hunting Monsters (Hunting Monsters #1)
  • Among the Thorns
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus Wars, #0.5)
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • Keeping it Close (Downside Ghosts, #5.6)
  • In the Sight of Akresa
  • Daughter of Necessity
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • A Cup of Salt Tears
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • Other Worlds
  • A Feast of Sorrows
  • The Beasts Who Fought for Fairyland Until the Very End and Further Still
Leigh Bardugo is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of fantasy novels and the creator of the Grishaverse. With over three million copies sold, her Grishaverse spans the Shadow and Bone Trilogy, the Six of Crows Duology, The Language of Thorns, and King of Scars—with more to come. (To hear about new releases, tour dates, and giveaways first, sign up for Leigh's newsletter here.) Her short stori ...more

Grishaverse (8 books)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
  • Untitled (Nikolai Duology, #2)
  • Untitled (Six of Crows, #3)
“(...) remember that to use a thing is not to own it.” 13 likes