Start by marking “Little Knife (Grishaverse, #2.6)” as Want to Read:
Little Knife (Grishaverse, #2.6)

Little Knife

(Grishaverse #2.6)

In this third Ravkan folk tale from Leigh Bardugo, a beautiful girl finds that what her father wants for her and what she wants for herself are two different things.

It is a companion story to the third book of the Grisha Trilogy, Ruin and Rising, and the stories “The Witch of Duva” and “The Too-Clever Fox.”
Published June 24th 2014 by Tor Books (first published April 29th 2014)

Start your review of Little Knife (Grishaverse, #2.6)
~Calliope~
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Will you remain here with the father who tried to sell you, or the Prince who hoped to buy you, or the man too weak to solve his riddles for himself? Or will you come with me and be bride to nothing but the shore?”

Wow, I loved it!! I loved "Little Knife" aka the river!!

"She lived in happy solitude, and grew old, and never worried when her beauty faded, for in her reflection she always saw a free woman."
karen
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
so, yeah - bardugo is three for three in these tor shorts.

i have always loved fairy tales, since i was a little sprout, and the darker they were, the better i liked them. and when i discovered, as a slightly larger seedling, the phenomenon of taking fairytales and retelling or modernizing them, it was a wonderful thing indeed, because the authors retained the spirit of the original works, but made them slightly less didactic and simplistic and therefore a little more ambiguous. they tended to be
P
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
“And should you ever take a bride, listen closely to her questions. In them you may hear her true name like the thunder of a lost river, like the sighing of the sea.”

Leigh Bardugo is a talented author. When she tells a story, the dark twists are prominent and very successful to shock me. As for Little Knife, a very short story based on the Grisha world, I found out that this novella was enjoyable even though it was more like a tale for me. Something unreal and impossible happens and takes do
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
"Little Knife" is one of Leigh Bardugo's excellent short stories set in her Grisha universe. This one used to be up on Tor.com but apparently Bardugo or her publisher got them to pull it and The Too-Clever Fox when she was putting together The Language of Thorns collection. Now that I'm (finally) reading that collection, it was great to see my old friend "Little Knife" again.

It's fascinating to see Bardugo subverting so many traditional fairy tale tropes here. The duke's daughter Yeva is surpas
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
“I am no blunt knife to cut your sorry bread,” it said.
“I feed the fields and drown the harvest.
I am bounty and destruction.”

Even though I am not a big fan of the Grisha series, I absolutely love these short stories.
CLUB GEMILL
Apr 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was not as good as The Too-Clever Fox but still Enjoyable! 🙂
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014, folktale
Thanks to the lovely karen I found this little gem. Leigh Bardugo can write! I love this type of story. At first I didn't think I was going to like Little Knife much because we had the perfect girl. Yeva-her beauty was enough to make men lose their senses, cause fights, yada yada.
Then her father the duke decided it was time for her to marry and figured was for himself to prosper.
Life has a way of not working out like you figure.

Wren (fablesandwren)
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
THIS IS JUST LIKE A GRIMM FAIRYTALE BUT BETTER.

"But as you leave that dark gap in the trees behind, remember that to use a thing is not to own it."

This was absolutely beautiful. You have everything you need.

☑ Unbelievably pretty girl thrown into hiding by her father
☑ Greedy Duke who only wants to profit from his daughter's beauty
☑ A prince fighting for her hand
☑ A poor man who is friend's with the river fighting for her hand
☑ Three task set the faith of the pretty girl

It is literally just like
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
“She was terrifying in her beauty, bright like a devouring star.”

This novella was wonderfully good :) It was very captivating and I was hooked! This was about an absolutely breathtakingly stunning girl named Yeva. She is the duke's daughter. He is desperately trying to find the perfect suitor and therefore he sets out all these different challenges. Yeva's beauty makes men lose their minds at the sight of her and all want to clam her as their own. The ending message was powerful and lovely♥. And
Prabhjot Kaur (Away)
Yeva is the daughter of a Duke and her beauty is so enchanting since her birth that the nurses have tried to steal her until her father hired a blind nurse and every man who even glances at her becomes smitten and wants Yeva for himself. Yeva is not just beautiful but also kind but her father is greedy and his greed causes his destruction but also sets Yeva free.

Leigh Bardugo is the queen of dark, full of twists short-stories. I cannot get enough of these.

Beenish
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
to use a thing is not to own it.

Review to come :) also, I loved this story !!

____________

Edit: This was in the days before the Second Army, when Grisha were welcome in few places and greeted with suspicion everywhere.

____________

Well, I hope at least this makes me see the connection of novellas to something. If not the book then to other novellas?

Also, I want to know about Karina and Nadya from the Witch of Duva.
ale ‧ ₊˚୨୧ ₊˚
Y'all know that I truly enjoy Leigh's short stories, right? well, this isn't the exception
I truly loved it! <3
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

Little Knife is the third and final folk tale accompanying the Grisha trilogy. As with The Witch of Duva and The Too-Clever Fox, this one can be read apart from the trilogy.

This is a story about greed and how it can ruin everything. And it is beautiful. All Revka folk tales are beautiful. You should read them all, whether you wish to read the trilogy or not.
Steven
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2017
Now there's an ending I didn't see coming. I like it. :) ...more
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-works
"Remember that to use a thing is not to own it..."

Oh my gosh!

This one was BY FAR my favorite of the Grisha Tales. It's not that it's incredibly original per say, but it's so neat that Bardugo thought up these little stories that fit into her world. I think it really helps the world come alive, even if it doesn't directly involve the characters from The Grisha Trilogy.

All three of these are an absolute delight.
Lila
Dec 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Lovely tale!

She was terrifying in her beauty, bright like a devouring star.

Now, if you have been foolish enough to wander from the path, it is up to you to make your way back to the road. Follow the voices of your worried companions and perhaps this time your feet will lead you past the rusting skeleton of a waterwheel resting in a meadow where it has no right to be. If you are lucky, you will find your friends again. They will pat you on the back and soothe you with their laughter. But as you
Dannii Elle
This can be found online here: http://www.tor.com/2014/06/26/little-...

This is an accompanying short story to the Grisha series but can be read as a stand-alone piece.

Another mesmerising tale, inspired by classic folk lore. The subversion in this story was unprecedented and the ending was especially lovely. The moralistic conclusion provided a wry final commentary that stretched further than the confines of this actual tale.

I am enjoying these later accompanying tales even more than the original
Flybyreader
May 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Another addition to the Grishaverse culture, a fairy tale with a princess, who is on the search for her prince charming. Well, Bardugo tries her best to create a foundation and history for Grisha people and she writes these beautiful tales to back up the original story. Little Knife tells the story of a beautiful princess, so beautiful that who lays eyes on her fall immediately in love. Her father, the duke creates a competition with selfish benefits to find a husband and one of the competitors ...more
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
"She was terrifying in her beauty, bright like a devouring star."

Yeva

It’s the little things that make Bardugo the master storyteller that she is.
Like how after I’ve read this story; and realized it was one that Mal told Alina in the Prolog of Ruin and Rising. And Sergei getting posted at a way-station near Duva.
This is the type of things that makes me feel part of the Grishaverse. Like I’m living in there world.
The other thing I enjoy is that the stories never go where I expect them to go. The twis
Victoria
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Remember that to use a thing is not to own it."

It's not a secret that I will read anything Leigh Bardugo writes. And every time I have the same question. How is it possible? How is it possible that her novellas and books are so good?
I'm not sure I blinked while reading.
"Little Knife" is a nicely written story with a moral and it gripped me from start to finish. And. And I want moooore fairy tales from Bardugo :((

charlotte,
the river is a gay icon saving the girl from those men
clea
Feb 03, 2022 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2022-reads
lmao,, men 😹 theyre all so stupid n dumb
Denisse
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Forget about novels, Leigh Bardugo, I can see myself in the future buying a book with only your short stories/tales. I'm not kidding. This woman has talent for short stories.

Hagan a un lado la trilogía de Los Grisha, las historias cortas que ha escrito en el mismo mundo son mil veces mejores. Ojala se aventurara en hacer un libro con puras historias cortas como esta.

Un mensaje sencillo y una escritura impecable.
...remember that to use a thing is not to own it...,listen closely to her questi
Len Evans Jr
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, leigh-bardugo
"remember to use a thing is not to own it."

I think this story is my favorite of the book thus far. The imagery is lush, the story is enthralling and the people populating it flawed. The author has once again created something to rival those fairy tales of old! A fun, tale of caution as well as an awesome read.
Irmak ☾
Jun 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
“She lived in happy solitude, and grew old, and never worried when her beauty faded, for in her reflection she always saw a free woman.”

I really enjoyed this, I think the Grishaverse fairytales are quite good. They're definitely better than the trilogy that's for sure.
Erica Ravenclaw
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
☆ ☆☆ ☆

No spoilers and colorful language abound!

The Witch of Duva
The Too-Clever Fox

photo tumblr_inline_mmanurut4l1qz4rgp_zpscebbbd2d.gif

I was a little "meh" until the very end, and BOOM.

Do it.

You are welcome.

Anna
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Dude.

I would gladly read a whole book filled with such short stories.
1st read - August 2014
2nd read - June 2020 (listened to the free audiobook via Audible Stories https://stories.audible.com/)
3rd read - May 2021

Little Knife is the third free short story that Leigh Bardugo has written for the Tor website (you can find it here) and it's just as good as the others. These stories don't feature characters from the Grisha series but are in fact Ravkan fairytales that would be told to young children by their parents.

This is the story of a young girl who is so beautiful
Phoenix2
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, short-reads
Little Knife is another folklorish tale under the Grishaverse umbrella. The structure and whole atmosphere of it is just like an old fairytale. The twist in the end was well written too. Can't say that it adds anything to the main trilogy though, but one might benefit from having a prior experience with Grish in order to read this one. ...more
Exitgirl05
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Little Knife resembles the most to Russian folk tales. That’s probably the reason why I liked it. A beautiful noble girl, a poor boy longing for fortune and a good life and a moral at the end of the story. Good job by Leigh Bardugo!
The Grishaverse: Little Knife on Tor.com? 1 109 May 20, 2014 12:22PM
Goodreads Librari...: time-sensitive: deleted cover reappears - please delete! 5 82 Mar 14, 2014 04:10PM

• The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • The Little Android (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.6)
  • Home (Psy-Changeling, #9.6)
  • Our Faces, Radiant Sisters, Our Faces Full of Light!
  • The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5)
  • The Assassin and the Healer (Throne of Glass, #0.2)
  • Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Alchemy
  • God Product
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • Persephone
  • Untitled (Once Upon a Broken Heart, #3)
  • Hello, Moto
  • The Peaceful Valley Crime Wave
  • The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4)
See top shelves…
Leigh Bardugo is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Ninth House and the creator of the Grishaverse (now a Netflix original series) which spans the Shadow and Bone trilogy, the Six of Crows duology, the King of Scars duology—and much more. Her short fiction has appeared in multiple anthologies including The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy. She lives in Los Angeles and is an assoc ...more

Grishaverse (9 books)
  • Demon in the Wood (Grishaverse, #0)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • King of Scars (King of Scars, #1)
  • Rule of Wolves (King of Scars, #2)
  • Untitled (Six of Crows, #3)