Start by marking “Red Dirt Heart (Red Dirt, #1)” as Want to Read:
Red Dirt Heart (Red Dirt, #1)

Red Dirt Heart

(Red Dirt #1)

Welcome to Sutton Station: One of the world’s largest working farms in the middle of Australia – where if the animals and heat don’t kill you first, your heart just might.

Charlie Sutton runs Sutton Station the only way he knows how; the way his father did before him. Determined to keep his head down and his heart in check, Charlie swears the red dirt that surrounds him – i
Published February 20th 2014 by N.R. Walker

To ask other readers questions about Red Dirt Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Dirt Heart

Gigi
5 stars for my second read. Now on to the sequels, which I haven't read yet!
-----------------

5 stars, favorites shelf, loved it!!! Highly recommended!

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Re-Read

4.5 Stars!

Loved it even more the second time around! On to book 2!

Original Review

So this was my first N.R. Walker read....I thought it was well written. It was a really sweet story....very sugary. Little to no angst at all. Plenty of steam for my smut loving friends.

The storyline really wasn't anything new. It was pretty predictable. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. And honestly the whole time I was reading all I could think about was the movie Brokeback Mountain.

So beware...most of my gi
Susan
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-favorites

Well...duh.  It's NR Walker.  So...ya know...I'm obviously gonna love it.

And, writing this in the glow of having just ended this fantastic book, I throw down the gauntlet...it's one of my favorites of hers.  I like Kira & Matt in the Turning Point series.  I adore Carter and Isaac (and don't even get me started on Mark and Will) in the Blind Faith series.  And I've made it no secret that I LOVE Thomas (and yeah, yeah...Cooper too) in the Thomas Elkin series.  But, but...Charlie and
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
The setting was stunning: red dirt dessert sand, long lines of unbroken landscape, shimmering heat, and peace stretching for miles.

There is a wonderful set of secondary characters, including George and Ma who are like parents to Charlie and a horse newly named Texas.

There were no hysterics or dramatics, just raw emotions and two men drawn to each other despite being from different ends of the earth.

Cowboys at heart, Charlie and Travis laugh and push and run scared and make love. And stay.

Exina
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
So many praising reviews are out there about this book and it is really an outstanding story. I loved it so much.

But now, days later, after coming off the high, I realized I have some issues with it.

Easy. Not many.

So the characters. Charlie. I felt his fear of being out a little exaggerated. He was a bitter recluse and doomed himself to live alone forever at the age of twenty-something, just because (view spoiler) It’s not
* Meli Mel *

♥♥♥ 4.5 STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"I thought you had demons, you know, like everyone else. But you're not fighting demons, Charlie. You're fighting a ghost. And you don't even want to win."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Charlie Sutton is a man that is running Sutton Station, a ranch in Australia, after his father passed away. There are a few select people who know he is gay, his father was one of them and that didn't turn out so good. His
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

*hides in a corner*

Red Dirt Heart was a decent read. The writing style deserves much more than three stars but I have to rate the book as a whole so pls don't throw tomatoes my way yet.

This story had all the elements I usually need to love a book but it didn't happen this time although I reckon it's a good read.

Charlie is a gay guy (in the closet) who runs Sutton Station and Travis is a student who is going to spend a few weeks with Charlie's team.

I loved reading about Australia. I read a book
Catherine
I may as well call 2014 “My Year of Reading N.R. Walker.” In a little less than two months, I’ve read ten titles by Walker. Every last one of them has well-developed plots, three-dimensional characters, witty dialogue, and so much cuteness that a basketful of fluffy kittens would lose a head-to-head competition.

So, imagine my delight when Walker’s latest novella, Red Dirt Heart, was released last week. I’m serious, people – I was Jessie Spano on caffeine pills levels of excited.

And I was not dis
Chelsea
I'm ashamed that I put off reading this beautiful love story for so long. Bad Chelsea. Bad!

This was everything! Sweet, romantic, sexy and definitely had me tearing up at the end.

I loved Travis' jump-in-with-both-feet attitude and Charlie's quiet hopefulness. They complimented each other perfectly and I have a feeling I could read about these two for days and it still not be enough.
Bev
A shower of stars for this one, you almost feel as though you're in the Outback yourself!!

photo goldenstars3_zps0068a027.jpg

I absolutely loved this story, and I have to admit the sheer scale and size of the territory makes for mind-boggling reading...for someone that lives as I do on an overcrowded tiny island off the coast of mainland Europe.

photo RedDirtHeartCowboys2_zps1cbfe328.jpg

Texan agronomy student Travis Craig arrives at the Sutton Station in the Northern Territory of Australia at the start of 4 weeks work experience, eager to learn how farmers there make a
Mona
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Softy MM Lovers
Recommended to Mona by: Eva
**5 Outback & Down Under Stars**
Where the American guy walks in,
all blue eyes and disarming smiles, and my life
goes to shit.
description

Red Dirt Heart, a delightful, charming and sweet read, that pleased me all the way. I simply could not put this down once I started reading it. It had me smiling, laughing and teary eyed, throughout the ups and downs these characters experience.

⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 A Sunburnt Country Stars

photo Windmill_zpshvvsl567.jpg

I listened to the audiobook and being Australian I was excited to start this one and listen to an Australian narrator. I was a little shocked though by the put on Australian bushman accent which made Charlie sound so much older than he was.

Once I got past that I was able to really get into the story. I LOVED the setting and am reminded just how beautiful my country is and that I need to read more books set in Australia.

photo cattlestation_zpseufezjy4.jpg

Charlie has an internal battle going on about h
Meags
4.5 Stars

After reading this story, the conclusion I’ve come to is this: I’m a despicable excuse for an Aussie, because I’m bloody certain I wouldn’t last a day in the Outback. Truth be told, nor would I want to. Just reading about life in this rural, mostly arid, vast and brutal landscape, which is sufficiently cut off from civilisation, however beautiful it may be, made me want to curl deeper into the comfort of my couch, in my air conditioned house, in the middle of suburban Melbourne. Ha!

But
DW
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-love
So I finally read Red Dirt Heart. I was pleasantly surprised. It was sweet with very little angst.
 photo 97F29015-7914-4A31-B337-7F92C4395F4B_zpsp5wnipcj.gif

Charlie returns home to Sutton Station to take over the family farm after his father passes away. Sutton Station is one of the biggest farms in the middle of Australia. Charlie is gay but hasn't officially come out of the closet. His father never approved of his lifestyle and made it clear that " a fairy could not run the farm". He didn't think that Charlie was "manly" enough. He has pretty much c
Heller
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-cowboys
This book made me dream of Australia. I've been to the interior and travelled the Northern territory into Alice Springs, or the Alice as it's called. So when Walker talks about the scorching red dirt, the amazing outback vistas and the endless stars at night...I revisit it in my mind's eye and I laugh at the memories and remember the people I met along the way.

I liked this read. I liked the MC's and their stories and how the relationship progressed. There's some great drama here that made my he
Dia
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dia by: I~❤️~Books
3,5 rounded to 4 stars

It seems I'm in the minority here, but unfortunately this story wasn't a 5 stars book for me. It may have something to do with the fact that my first book by N.R. Walker was The Weight of It All and I absolutely loved that one: sweet and very funny. It made me laugh out loud many times and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the characters.

So when I started Red Dirt Heart I had very high expectations and well, to some point it didn't deliver. It was a little too predictab
Ariana
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ariana by: Josy
First of all: I loved, loved, loved this. All of it.

The setting:
I live in a very green part of Europe, so I can't imagine it. Probably that's not even possible unless you have been there and experienced it for yourself. The vastness of the desert, the colours, the heat, the quiet and the dangers.
Tbh I am fascinated, not only by the setting but also by the life the people on Sutton Station lead. It is tough and lonely and such hard work, I'm pretty much in awe of them.

the MCs:
Charlie: I can't im
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Not much to say except this is an MM I've been meaning to read for a long time. I'm glad I finally did because it was a sweet story that I enjoyed. Onward!
Marte - Thunderella
Update July 2016:
Audio edition, narration Joel Leslie.
5 hours 7 minutes

Overall: 1
Performance: 1
Story: 5*

*The story rating of 5 is based on the book, since the story is fantastic. I have read it several times.

This is one of my favorite mm romance books (series). Charlie and Travis are very dear to me. I was of course looking forward to this audio.

Audios can make or break a book, or sometimes just be okay.
This was:

It was really bad. It did not work for me at all. It pains me, but it's my honest
Trisha Harrington
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of N.R. Walker.
N.R. Walker has done it again! Not only has she made me fall in love with yet another couple, but she has also left me wanting more! But the good news is, she is planning a sequel to this one. See the last page of the book for proof.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what I can say about this book. My words just cannot describe how much I love the author and her work. I'm a sucker for sweet characters and characters who have demons. Well, maybe demons isn't the right word here. Charlie has the ghost of
Nick Pageant
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
I LOVED this book. The prose is spare and, kill me, but I have to use the word "arid." It's almost as if N.R. Walker trimmed down the language to give us a feeling of the landscape the characters inhabit. It's a great writing trick that really works very well here. The romance is touching and the sex is hot. A great read that is highly recommended.
Macky
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What is it about stories set in Australia? Why do they always feel so romantic and passionate? Is it because the land is so sprawling, wild and breathtakingly beautiful or is it because of its mystical, mysterious aboriginal culture that's always fascinated me with its intriguing tales of 'Dreamtime' or is it simply because Australia has given us so many hot guys, like the gorgeous Hugh Jackman (OMG!!! Yum!) Mel Gibson (in his Mad Max days… *swoon*), the lovely Heath Ledger (RIP Heath ❤), delect ...more
Barbara➰
Reread September 2018

This is why I love to reread books. I enjoyed this more this time. I love Charlie and Travis. Travis is just what Charlie needs to realize he can have a life on the station with someone who wants to be there and can be the person he needs.
"The skies outside rumbled and roared, and thunder ripped through the silence. Travis slid his hand around my neck and pulled me in for a hard kiss as the first of the rains fell. The rain, this man washed away the demons—the ghosts, as
Barbara
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Barbara by: Isabel
Shelves: amazing-male, m-m, hot, wow
“This godforsaken, red and unforgiving, hotter than fucking hell place where I was supposed to be. With you.”

photo tumblr_lu16vbWQ1a1qerg0do1_500_zps63642b15.jpg

The setting was incredible, set in the marvellous red dirt farmlands of Australia; I was drawn into the story immediately. Their characters felt real and their humour sparkle through from the beginning till the end, a bit of angst but nothing to sappy, as I said REAL!!

photo tumblr_m5ni29pixo1rtjsq2o1_500_61697_zps1cf8b3e1.gif

By the time Charlie and Travis spent their first time together, I was grinning from ear to ear, it was like I could see
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.5 Stars***

I'd jumped into raging rivers, ridden wild bulls, bucking horses and fought off deadly snakes. I'd done a thousand crazy things in my life that made Ma yell at me, but I'd never - NEVER - been as scared as I was when I looked at him.

There's already tons of reviews for this series, so I'll just add my name to the long list of people gushing about Charlie and Travis.

description

I'm just at the beginning of their journey....and I can't wait to see where this takes me. One down, three to go.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bgirls, mm, ebook

4.5 star review from The Blogger Girls.

This was a really nice change of pace for me. I thoroughly enjoyed being brought to another place not often written about. This takes its time getting going, but it isn’t long before you are right there with them, as I had no trouble picturing the station and its landscape with the wonderfully descriptive storytelling. I swear I could feel the dust and heat as I was reading, and Lord knows I was trying to hear the accents.

Charlie is a hard working fella, ch
Cristina T.
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
♥ BR with Kayl – Thursday, September 3 ♥

My dearest favorite M/M couples–I mean you, Ty & Zane, Sin & Boyd, Dex & Sloane, Brad & Kyle–make a little room, because Travis & Charlie are joining you!

It's official. I adore N.R. Walker!!! This book was absolutely flawless. The beautiful red dirt dessert. The animals–especially the horses. The incredible characters. The fantastic writing. I loved it all, and I cannot wait to read more!

Charlie and Travis are amazing, to say the least!
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
It was just so good! No angst really at all just a great easy read. Walker I love you it's official I'm full on obsessed LOL
Lyn
Audio - 4 stars
Story 3.5 stars because it wasn't until the 70% mark that I really started enjoying the story

Kaje Harper
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, m-m
Charlie Sutton is a young man for the responsibility he carries. As the owner of a huge cattle station in the heart of Australia, he has enough to do keeping the place running and profitable, dealing with the climate, the critters and the wellbeing of the people working for him.

His father's lack of belief in him haunts him. Although in his head he knows his father's disdain of him was wrong, the memory of it has made him lock away every part of him that doesn't directly add to the running of the

• The Shearing Gun
  • My Cowboy Heart (The Cowboys, #1)
  • Inherit the Sky (Lang Downs, #1)
  • Love, Like Water
  • Chase the Storm
  • Unbroken Hearts (Unbreak My Heart, #2)
  • The Fall (The Fall #1)
  • A Prairie Dog's Love Song
  • Bareback (Bareback, #1)
  • Pickup Men (Pickup Men, #1)
  • Frog
  • Cowboys Down
  • An Isolated Range (Range, #5)
  • Three Traders (Falls Chance Ranch #2)
  • Morning Report (Morning Report, #1)
  • I Spy Pecan Pie
Author also writes as A. Voyeur

N.R. Walker is an Australian author, who loves her genre of gay romance. She loves writing and spends far too much time doing it, but wouldn't have it any other way.

She is many things; a mother, a wife, a sister, a writer. She has pretty, pretty boys who she gives them life with words.

She likes it when they do dirty, dirty things...but likes it even more when they fa

Red Dirt (4 books)
  • Red Dirt Heart 2 (Red Dirt, #2)
  • Red Dirt Heart 3 (Red Dirt, #3)
  • Red Dirt Heart 4 (Red Dirt, #4)
“I’d jumped into raging rivers, ridden wild bulls, bucking horses and fought off deadly snakes. I’d done a thousand crazy things in my life that made Ma yell at me, but I’d never—never—been as scared as I was when I looked at him.   *” 2 likes