Start by marking “Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)” as Want to Read:
Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)

Moonshine

(夜に彷徨うもの #3)

After saving the world from his fiendish father's side of the family, Cal Leandros and his stalwart half-brother Niko have settled down with new digs and a new gig-bodyguard and detective work. And in New York City, where preternatural beings stalk the streets just like normal folk, business is good. Their latest case has them going undercover for the Kin-the werewolf Mafi ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 338 pages
Published March 6th 2007 by Roc (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Moonshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonshine

Start your review of Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
After more than a year away from reading Nightlife, I thought my love for this series would be a fluke. I'd read the second book, and the thrill would be gone. Not even close. What a fantastic world Ms. Thurman has created. I don't know how she managed to bring two characters to life that I love so much.

Cal has really come into his own. He's still a major smart-aleck, with some self-hate issues, but he's even more lethal as a warrior, incredibly strong-minded, and fiendishly clever, although so
Devann
Without Nik, I was nothing. Living life to prove your genes wrong wasn't worth doing. Living life to be the reflection of who your brother thought you were, thought you could be, that was worth it. That made the price of existence not quite so steep.

I always seem to be going back and forth with this book and the first one as to whether I want to rate them four or five stars. The last time I read them I gave the first one four stars and this one five, but this time I seem to have switched it arou
Nicole
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tina
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Second installment of Cal and Nik Leandros' series.

After successfully negating the threat of Cal's other family (the evil, death mongering elves known as The Auphe) and killing the entity that possessed Cal in the previous book, the brothers decide to remain in NY. To their surprise, after having been on the run and having only each other for so many years, they have created bonds.

First there is Promise, the lovely vampire who has awakened romantic feelings in the normally impassive Nik.

Then the
Shaitarn
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
After escaping from his father’s kin at the end of the first book, Cal (short for Caliban) and his half-brother Niko have set themselves up as detectives/bodyguards for the preternatural community in New York. They’ve given a job working for the Kin, the werewolf Mafia, investigating what seems like a feud between two Kin leaders, but they’ve been set up to investigate an ancient relic for a very nasty client.

I really enjoyed this book – after the first book ended with a bang, this one picks up
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου

You can see the following review also here: http://loveandlivetoread.wordpress.co...

I knew that this series would be my new favorite urban fantasy since when I read the first book. The second one just proves me right! Dark, with non-stop action and sarcastic, this series is a lesson of how to write a great urban fantasy book!

Cal and Niko are trying to start over and with the help of Promise they are doing jobs as bodyguards / detectives for supernatural creatures. Of course, Robin Goodfellow is
Kati
Jul 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the fans of the TV show Supernatural
Another great installment in this series by Rob Thurman (who is actually a woman!). In this book, the characters of Niko and Cal are devoleped a bit more, though some of the other characters - like for example Georgina or Promise - stay rather two-dimensional. But I'm into these books for the relationship between the brothers and because of Robin Goodfellows, the puck, so I didn't mind much.

This book starts rather slow, but then it builds momentum and the last third of the book is an adrenaline
Summer
I'm finally starting to feel better today, but I have to catch up on homework so this review won't be much either. I liked it as much as the first, even though there were parts where it seemed to lag a bit. The brothers more than made up for it though. I need more Niko however. I'm not one of those people who have hang-ups about first-person at all. But I do have to say I kinda wish there would be a chapter or two in Niko's point of view. He's just always so mysterious seen through Cal's eyes. P ...more
Jen
I really enjoyed this book, but parts of it had me shaking my head in confusion. So I sadly did not enjoy it as much as I did book one; I'm giving it just four stars for being a very good story.

The parts where I felt confused were due to segue changes that took me aback. I can't now remember any examples, but there were several times when I was all, "Wait, what?!"

And then I didn't like how Cal was all "for the last time" on a few occasions. As foreshadowing, it worked great, but why? We never g
Ami
Kelli
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
In Moonshine, Cal delves deeper into the unchartered realm of his romantic feelings for seer Georgia. She has his heart. So it is gut-wrenching for Cal when she is kidnapped and he - along with his team of Nik, Promise, and Robin - must rescue her. This is a driving force, fueling him to come to terms with his emotions, not wanting to hold back, to finally, finally express his love for her. Does that happen? You’ll just have to read for yourself.

Moonshine is swimming with werewolves. I am not a
Jessica
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
It took me two weeks to read this… well, to read the first half, anyway. Thanks to more inclusion of Nik, Robin and Promise in the second half, I managed to finish that part in a couple of hours. I’m not sure why it took me so long to get through the first part, but I think it may be because so much time was with emo-boy Cal alone, and he bores me to clean. (That was deliberate; I actually managed to get a fair amount of cleaning done in the past couple of weeks because I was avoiding this book. ...more
Amanda
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Moonshine, the second book in Thurman's series, is most definitely an improvement on the first book. My issue with Nightlife was that the story was fantastic, but the storytelling wasn't. The storytelling in Moonshine was a huge improvement, it wasn't excellent, but it was much better than the first book. My only big problem was with the filler pages that dragged on and on. There were too many super slow spots for my liking.

As for the story itself, I really enjoyed it. The whole gangster/hostag
Jason
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015, e-books
4 Stars

Moonshine, book two in the Cal Leandros series does not suffer from being the sophomore outing. It does not live up to the excitement of all the first discoveries of book one, but it does a better job at further fleshing out our heroes.

Thurman has created an Urban Fantasy world with every type of creature imaginable and dropped them into a Dark and mysterious world. The brothers Cal and Nikos are even better in this Werewolf centric story. Back again is Nikos gorgeous vampire girlfriend
Claire
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I loved Moonshine just as much as Nightlife, perhaps even more. Unlike the slow start to Nightlife, Moonshine jumps right into the plot, which I appreciated. There were some more serious plot twists, which I can't talk about without major spoilers. The brothers Leandros are as kick-ass as ever. In just two books I've become attached to the characters. Thurman has done an excellent job of making Cal, Niko, and their friends feel like real people. It invested me in their story and kept me on the e ...more
Schnaucl
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. However, I like Promise but George really doesn't do anything for me. I know she's supposed to be really wise but she comes off like a sweetness and light child which makes Cal's interest in her kind of creepy. He's immature but in an oddly more adult way.

I continue to love Niko and Goodfellow.

I'm very glad the focus is still on the relationship between Niko and Caliban. I'm not crazy about Promise or George being elevated to the same status.
Chrysanthos
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I know that many people swear by these series, but I didn't feel one way or the other. It wasn’t bad or anything (thankfully no characters with the emotional intelligence of a baked burrito) but I've read much better. To be completely honest I can think more than 10 books in the same genre I enjoyed more than this. So, 2,5 stars from me rounded up to 3.
Adam
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Author is clearly getting better. I reference far better reviews when I say that the book is not very good, but you keep reading it until you're okay with that. Still has bad scene movement and awkward talking, but getting the hang of it.
Mir
Sep 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
The second installment in this series is not as tight as the first, and the humor is even more forced. However, I still found the characters sympathetic and the action interesting.
Michael
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman. Cal Leandros and his brother Niko have been on the run most of their young lives. They are not running from the authorities however, they are running from monsters. This is because Cal's father was himself a monster and his mother was human. In this one they are interviewed for a job by a creature who is supposed to be representing a powerful werewolf in charge of a criminal empire. It turns out that this creature is actually plo ...more
Dana
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read Rob Thurman books enough. I really like this series, but for some reason I haven't been able to keep up with it.
I like that Cal isn't just a lazy teenager any more. He is still Caliban, but he just might be growing up and gearing up to face his Auphe side of the family.
This book goes from killer clowns that give you nightmares to human sized slug like creatures. Oh and the Puck is back and in full form in this book. It had really been too long since I had read the first book in th
Melora
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
An improvement over the first in the series. Less angsting, less dwelling on our heros' shiny hair and pretty physiques, and more interesting plot. I enjoyed the road trip, and I loved the new werewolf character(s). Three and a quarter stars.
Angela
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I so like this installment in the series
Nightfall
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Having established all her characters and the basic background of her world in the first book, Thurman takes off running with this one and launches straight into the mystery/action. Our protagonist brothers have decided to open a PI agency and they're working their first case. It turns out to be more of a straightforward bash and run than a genuine mystery, but I get the sense that's the sort of story that works for this author. The tone of this book is even more grim than the last book, but sin ...more
Anita
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Nick McGreggor
Not bad. I enjoyed it. Some great interaction between Cal and Niko. Amusing banter.

Robin Goodfellows is a great character. One of my favorites.

There werewolves did not work for me. Didn’t like Flay, didn’t like the two-headed one (although the fight scene on the roof was tense and well done). Promise and George never really filled out completely for me.

I’m often told that Auphe are the baddest of the bad, but I don’t remember seeing anything that proved it out in this particular book—though I’m
Brittanie
I really love the characters in this book and Thurman's interpretation of classic fantasy/horror creatures. While it's not that unique in the urban fantasy genre, the tweaked elements (vampires actually have an iron-deficiency disease and are born, werewolves are born and come in castes and levels, etc) make it something a little different. The second novel in the series is an improvement in writing and characterisations - no surprise as the first book is literally Thurman's first book - and the ...more
L-D
In the second book of this series, Cal and Nik's friend Georgina gets kidnapped and they must find and retrieve a crown as ransom. Cal is still denying his feelings for the young Georgina. While Cal is still brash, immature, and lazy - he does seem to buck up a bit and goes after his friend with determination and a bit of recklessness while his mysterious half-auphe bloodline grants him some new and interesting gifts. Supported by his ever-present brother Nik and their new friends Promise, a vam ...more
Lin
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural, 2010
The second Cal Leandros book and I think I love these books more than they deserve. Which is a lot
After the events of the first Cal and Niko have set up an agency with Promise, taking jobs using their unusual skill set. When a job gathering information on one of the kin (the werewolf mafia) goes wrong it turns out their employer has other objectives Cal is pushed over the edge as hostages are taken.

Cal's voice grows stronger, more assured throughout in his internalised ramblings. He's still as s
Jenny
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
These books are like a tube of pringles, same shaped, potato powder things in a convenient packaging without any actual nutritional value beyond giving you half a truck load (thats around 3 fuck tons for those who are not familiar with the bucketload system) of empty calories. Regardless, the moment you pop the top of the thing and start eating, you won't stop. Your house might burn down around you and your wife may leave you and you may be attacked by a vengeful penguin called carl on a mission ...more
Nothing But Readi...: Thurman, Rob--Moonshine ( #2) Informal buddy read starts May 1, 2019 75 193 May 18, 2019 12:38PM
crime/thriller/ho...: Cal Leandros 1 5 Nov 01, 2012 01:15PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Moonshine by Rob Thurman 1 2 Mar 30, 2012 10:29AM

• Shadowed Souls
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • A Song for a New Day
  • Paladin's Grace
  • Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2)
  • Priepasť
  • Dominion (The Eternity War #3)
  • In the Highlander's Bed (Cameron Sisters, #5)
  • A Demon in Silver (War of the Archons #1)
  • In the Bed of a Duke (Cameron Sisters, #3)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Mercenary's Star (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #2)
  • Arena: Part Two
  • Face Off (Laura Blackstone, #2)
  • Ferals (Ferals, #1)
  • Duel Nature (Demon Accords, #4)
Rob Thurman is currently writing three series for Penguin Putnam's imprint ROC FANTASY, as well as a brand-new mainstream series for Simon & Schuster's POCKET BOOKS.
Rob has also written for a Charlaine Harris & Toni L.P. Kelner Anthology, WOLFSBANE AND MISTLETOE. This year, Rob contributed a post-apocalyptic, "grim" faerie tale Western to the anthology, COURTS OF THE FEY.

Rob's work is dark, non-st

夜に彷徨うもの (5 books)
  • 夜に彷徨(さまよ)うもの : 上 (夜に彷徨うもの, #1)
  • 夜に彷徨(さまよ)うもの : 下 (夜に彷徨うもの, #2)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)
  • Deathwish (Cal Leandros, #4)