Start by marking “The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre (Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre (Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #1)

The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre

(Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #1)

Now Kat is chasing the bi
Published February 10th 2014

To ask other readers questions about The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre

James
4 stars to Elisabeth Crabtree's The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre, the first book in the "Hatter's Cove Gazette" mystery series. I downloaded this e-book for free several months ago and found myself with a few spare hours this evening... so I jumped on it and am glad I did. It was a really fun new series I look forward to reading more. I'll even check for other series by this author.

Kat Archer has taken a job at her local paper, hoping to get back into her investigative journalism career,
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

This novella is a cute, cozy mystery where the humor comes across natural - not forced - and works well enough to earn an occasional chuckle. That it has an adorable cover is just icing on the cake, I'm a nut for cutesy covers.

Quirky characters in the charming, small town of Hatter's Cove are usually bored with the local news. News reporter Kat gets the sniff of a potential story, only to stumble on what becomes a full-fledged murder investigation. Her boss, who's good on the eyes but shy of rel
Mackey
For Valentine's week, I found this little gem hiding in the FREE Kindle books on Amazon.

Kat has moved back to her hometown of Hatter’s Cove and is now working for her local paper. She’s finding it to be a let-down after years of crime reporting. Now, she has been relegated to covering the society pages, specially being the ace food critic, a job that has led to multiple bouts of food poisoning as well a death threats. Apparently her restaurants reviews are similar to my book reviews. 🙂 When she
Karen
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, holidays
This was a really good story even if I was not fully happy with the character development. I have never read anything by this author before but am willing to read more if they continue to be this good. The story was interesting enough to keep me reading even when I was happy about how these people interacted with no good reasons. It took a minute to get into it but when I did I was hard pressed to put it down. The setting was fine since it was a well known state even though the town is small.

Val
Andrea Cox
Jul 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
by Andrea Renee Cox

This cozy mystery kept me guessing and even had me doubting my predictions. However, there were three cases of profanity, one expletive, a sarcastic remark about the Bible, and melodrama about affairs. I was also disappointed that the majority of the story was presented in explanations via dialogue. Though there were a couple of moments of action, I thought there could have been a much better balance between the action and dialogue to create a less tiresome atmosphere.

I was no
Sandra Lopez
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kat (a.k.a. Kitty Kat) is a food critic that’s actually a journalist that’s filling in. She thinks one of the restaurants she’s been critiquing might be trying to poison her. Possible? I wouldn’t want to be a food columnist, not so much because of the death threats, but because of all the fatty foods.

Her next assignment is at The Cookie Jar, where she is forced to eat cake, cookies, pies, candy and some pink concoction called “Cotton Candy Rush.” OMG, where’s the barf bag?

Now a body has been fou
C.P. Cabaniss
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fun little mystery novel with likable characters and an interesting plot. I like the newspaper aspect of the story, since this gives Kat a reason to be so involved with things. And the rivalry between the various papers was also a nice touch.

The mystery was somewhat obvious, but threw in some nice twists that I appreciated. At times Kat was a little silly about how she did things, which is one issue that I have with these kinds of stories in general. You don't just meet random people
Allie
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Really enjoyed this book. I could actually see the people & places. I had a few of the series, but this is the first I read. I will check out all of Ms. Crabtree's books.
Maritza
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute Mystery.

Filled with humor and quirky characters this was an enjoyable read from a new to me author. I really enjoyed Krazy Kat and her band of merry men. The mystery had me guessing until the end.
Chris
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
First time reading this author. I found the characters likable and quirky. I picked out the killer but was shocked to find out that there was more going on than met the eye.
Britney
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books, rtyr
I was pleasantly surprised by this cozy. It was a quick read that kept me entertained. Very likeable characters. Looking forward to the next one in the series.
Denise Zendel
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Kat Archer returns to her hometown of Hatter’s Cove, Florida, from the bright lights of Miami where she was an investigative reporter, slightly homesick and looking for a slower pace. She thinks she’ll help out with the family business and take freelance jobs on the side. After two-weeks of soul-crushing boredom, she winds up at the local paper and gets forced into being a fluff reporter and food columnist. She covers the opening of Miss Dolly’s Cookie Jar and Sweets Emporium where one of the em ...more
Jana Brown
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, humor, novella
This was a very cute cozy mystery, pretty much perfect for a Sunday morning watching over a sick toddler. The story reads quickly and I had the end figured out before it happened, but that didn't stop it from being an entertaining read. The characters are fun and quirky with some nice unexpected aspects. It was funny that the heroine's awful nickname was truly her parent's fault, (Kitty Katherine - Kitty Kat) as we've all read about or know someone who names their kids things the kids don't alwa ...more
Loraine
RATING: 3.5

SUMMARY: It’s Valentine’s Day in quiet, cozy Hatter’s Cove, Florida and food columnist, Kat Archer, has been assigned the event of the year, the grand opening of Miss Dolly’s Cookie Jar and Sweets Emporium.What begins as a run of the mill, albeit tasty, assignment turns into something much more dangerous when one of the Cookie Jar’s employees is poisoned.Now Kat is chasing the biggest story of her life, while trying to catch the eye of her handsome editor and avoid becoming the killer
Shilpa
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This story is about Kat Archer, a reluctant food columnist who gets involved in a murder when she is invited to 'Cookie Jar' for its opening on the Valentine's day so she could write a review. Kat was considered a harsh critic as she wrote reviews about restaurants in Hatter's Cove that got her a lot of hate mail. She wants to be an investigative journalist rather than write food columns at the local newspaper. Kat finds herself at the center stage of a murder which she feels is related to anoth ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: food, kindle, mystery
Love the title and some of the characters in Hatter's Cove. Kat was a bit much to take some times though. She is lucky she didn't end up in jail or get fired based on the way she acted. I did like Hayden and Luke. I will probably check out the sequel eventually.
Amanda
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun cozy mystery! Loved Kat's wry sense of humor and nosy reporting. Great cast of small town characters made for a cozy read. Will be following this series!
Cindy
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Amusing mystery...light language and graphics, no gore. Some repartee may be inappropriate. tss-enabled ebook.
Becky
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a lite hearted mystery. I liked it a little more than I thought I would. It also had good humor to it. I really liked the main character Kat. She's sassy!
Marilyn
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good

the mystery of how many murders and crimes can be committed for money and jealousnes .the many different people who were involved.th e ending was surprisingly.
Nancy
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book, how ever I do wish the author had done more to make it more interesting. I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
Lisa
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good cozy mystery novel. Well written. Lots of red herrings.
Carol Evans
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, mystery
If I’ve learned anything from cozy mysteries, it’s that holidays go perfect with dead bodies. So, instead of reading a romance for today, I went with The St. Valentine’s Day Cookie Massacre and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Kat has must moved back home from a stint in Miami and is working at a small local paper. The staff is small and while her heart is in investigative journalism, mostly she’s covering community events and doing the food critic column. She covers a local bakery openi
Megan
I tried to start this yesterday but couldn't get into it.

I devoted my full attention and had no massive distractions and actually this picked up. It took me until around 30% to get fully into it but its a nice cute mystery. No romance involved at least not yet.

I will say it looses stars because I felt a little lost during reading it because it felt like I was missing parts of the world. She knew the police officer but its not clear how? But its implied we should know? Or maybe I misread that wh
Dallass
I found a free copy of this on Amazon one day last summer, and I have only just got around to reading it. And I have to admit that while the synopsis sounded pretty good (why download it otherwise?), I just wasn’t all that enthused by the execution of it. The character of Kat just didn’t do anything for me. I foresee a love triangle between Kat and her editor and the detective, which I am not looking forward too, but the main flaw for me was that I didn’t really care about any of the characters. ...more
Sherry Sharpnack
Feb 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
This cozy mystery is so non-memorable that I just had to look up the name of the protagonist to write the review . Kat is an investigative reporter who has moved home to Hatter’s cove, which is described as a small town — yet has two competing newspapers. Kat is the food critic just itching for a big story. She gets it by trying to figure out who wants her dead, and who killed the town jerk. I just really didn’t care, and it didn’t improve. This one HAD to have been free on the Kindle. And the l ...more
Caroline Cairn
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour, mystery
Far from mediocre, but nothing wow either. Characters are one dimensional (the nosy one, the kind one, the nerd one etc...) and the plot is a little unoriginal. You can tell this is self published.
However, I could also see that the author had put some effort into this. She hasn't used any flowery words or over-pretentious sentences (they add nothing to a story besides a headache) and the pace is dynamic: I wasn't bored once.
Perfect read for when you don't want anything too serious or too complic
June
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
While the title is a bit sensationalized it fits with the investigation reporter that would rather be solving murders than being the local food critic of the local paper. The characters are likable and fit well with the story but Kat better be careful or she might need someone to write her obituary.
Cheryl Hanson
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was looking for something easy to read to break my huge reading slump and this seemed to fit the bill. However, I had a hard time keeping the characters straight and who was dating/seeing who. End result was so-so. I will not be reading any more in this series.
John Shearer
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre

This story is an average mystery that shows promise then doesn't quite deliver. The story has a good plot and flows well there's just something not there.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #47 - The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre 1 3 Feb 29, 2016 12:31PM
  • Death by Chocolate (Dessert First Cozy Mysteries, #1)
  • Deck the Halls with Fudge (Candy-Coated, #5.5)
  • A Deadly Brew (A Tourist Trap Mystery #9.5)
  • Murderous Muffins (Chubby Chicks Club, #2)
  • Dying Words (A Ghostwriter Mystery #4)
  • The Final Arrangement (Flower Shop Mystery Series, #1)
  • You Had Me at Merlot (Glamorous Life, #1)
  • Cold Turkey (Celebration Bay, #1.5)
  • Meows, Magic & Murder (Lake Forest Witches #1)
  • Ex On The Beach
  • When Girlfriends Make Choices (When Girlfriends, #3)
  • Bead Of Doubt (Divorced Divas Mystery, #0.5)
  • Death of a Cantankerous Old Coot
  • Murdering the Roses (Heavenly Highland Inn #1)
  • Death Comes eCalling (Molly Masters Mystery #1)
  • Misfortune Cookies (When the Fat Ladies Sing #1)
  • A Dash of Murder (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #1)
  • Summer at Castle Stone
As a life-long mystery fan, Elisabeth enjoys writing light, comedic mysteries with a touch of romance. She would love to hear from you. Please feel free to send her a message and check out her blog for more information on upcoming releases.

Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery (5 books)
  • Revenge of the Pieman (Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #2)
  • The Mad Hatter's Haunted Castle (Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #3)
  • Two Dead Love Birds (Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #4)
  • Bad Kitty (Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #5)
“don’t you” 0 likes