Start by marking “Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.1)” as Want to Read:
Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.1)

Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky (The Lunar Chronicles #3.1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  5,349 Ratings  ·  625 Reviews
Thirteen-year-old Carswell Thorne has big plans involving a Rampion spaceship and a no-return trip out of Los Angeles.
Published February 4th 2014 by Feiwel & Friends

isabelle
Probably because I imagine Carswell like this

or like this

description

is why I love him so much.

And how he's also really thoughtful towards others.

And how he's really clever.

And how he's just really attractive.

Really attractive.

Really.

Attractive.

Even as a young boy, my gosh.

This novella with Kate Fallow is so cute.

So much cuteness.

*flail*
Bailey
May 12, 2014 Bailey marked it as to-read
Startled by some random woman crouched down in an isle of Target, reading the back of a book with a child as a lookout? Don't worry about it. Just turn and walk away.

I will go through considerable lengths to read this. I won't mind about the looks I get. To be honest, I'm sort of used to them by now.

Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
★★★★★★★★★☆[9/10]

THAT is our captain. Scheming and cheating and finagling criminal mastermind. Oh, since when do you think that scheming and cheating is also "charming"? Yeah, since Captain Carswell Thorne.

You would think
⏩ that he deserved his confinement in the Beijing Prison.

⏩ That they did the right thing by reclaiming the Rampion he stole from the American Federation.

⏩ That Sage Darnel was right when he said that Carswell didn't deserve Cress.

⏩ That he should have admitted to Kate Fallow
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 sneaky stars

photo Thorn_zpss1yjlczs.png

I have loved our very morally ambiguous and fun loving Captain Thorn since his first appearance in Scarlett. I think I actually *squeed* when he was the love interest in Cress seriously I *squeed* and I'm a little old to squee for YA

Before Carswell grew up to be a conniving, sneaky, swindling but ever charming and charismatic Captain of a stolen ship he was a kid with a dream of becoming a Captain and a plan to make it happen. This story goes through a few of his schemes includ
Norah Una Sumner
Thirteen-year-old Thorne being a little shit and a (well,some sort of) gentleman.But you know,we all know he's a sweetie...deep down.
And,yes,you've guessed right,I am trying to handle my Cress hangover by reading everything Lunar Chronicles related.However,I wish we got to see how Thorne stole his ship.This short story was cute and I really like how we get a glimpse of Thorne's relationship with his parents.

Sushi
Aug 24, 2016 Sushi rated it liked it
Shelves: so-in-love
Maybe he could start an afterschool Flirting 101 class.

That's right, this captain was born badass.

He'd been charming his neighbors out of their bank accounts since he was seven, and had become quite good at it. Last summer, he'd even managed to get the Hernandez family to pay him 200 univs for a box of "succulent, prize-winning" oranges, having no idea that he'd picked the fruits of their own tree earlier that day.
Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™)
Update 4/27/14:
So... my reading slump’s over!

I'm not the biggest fan of short stories; I usually feel they are too brief for me to get to know the characters and really come to care about what they are going through. That being said... Marissa Meyer has a rare and amazing capacity to make me feel invested in her characters’ stories no matter how short they are. This is the fourth time I got sucked right into one of her shorts and not only enjoyed the heck out of it but got a lot of feels too. CG
Natalie Monroe
Apr 03, 2014 Natalie Monroe rated it liked it
Shelves: decimal-pieces
Who knew Carswell could be such a dick? A lovable dick nonetheless, but a long way from the witty, kindhearted captain who wouldn't take advantage of Cress in her infatuated state in Cress.

I still ship them like mad though.

Simona Bartolotta
I honestly can't decide if he is more manipulative than cute or the other way around. Probably he's just the perfect embodiment of both and I have a crush on him that's as big as a palace.

EDIT 27/12/15: rereading it a month after the first time, it feels even better. So. Cute.
Susana
_ Driven;
_ Manipulative;
_ Schemer;
_ Charming;
_ Good hearted... deep... deep down.
....Thy name is Thorne.

A glimpse into thirteen year old Thorne's life: I liked it, but it was just too short to merit a three star rating.
Kels
Two words: Carswell Thorne

*swooons*

Okay, now for more words. I like this shorty quite a bit, but come on, anything Marissa Meyer writes I will read! Yet as much as I lurve Captain Thorne, I just didn't like him in this novel, and well, that's disappointing. Thirteen year old Thorne is a heartbreaker, manipulator, schemer, and all-around scoundrel, and though he has some redeeming qualities, he's still a weasel of a kid whose goodness is deep, deep, DEEP--too deep--down to go digging for gold for
Gavin
Feb 23, 2014 Gavin rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-books
This tiny novella in the Lunar Chronicles series provided an interesting glimpse into the childhood of the ever charming and witty Carswell Thorne. That said, it was very short and held nothing crucial so could easily be skipped.

Rating: 3 stars.
Katerina Kondrenko
7 out of 10

I've been in love with this character since Scarlet, I guess. But now I can better understand him. He has attention deficit disorder) And still he's soooo cute. Btw, on this novel he's 13 and you will see one of his so called heroic acts which was found on the internet by Cress.

The Lunar Chronicles (Лунные хроники):
— Glitches (Сбои) #0.5/4
The Little Android (Маленький андроид) #0.6/4
Cinder (КиберЗолушка) #1/4
— The Queen's Army (Армия королевы) #1.5/4
Scarlet (Скарлет) #2/4
C
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
So charming and manipulative and attractive - I'm a little bit (okay, a whole lot!) in love with Thorne.
Martha
Oct 13, 2014 Martha rated it it was amazing
Oh, Thorne, you arrogant, lovable idiot you...
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
*3,5*

Carswell Thorne, you adorable little jerk.♥
Andrea!
Aug 12, 2015 Andrea! rated it really liked it
such a cutie :')
Maxi (slothreads)
Feb 11, 2016 Maxi (slothreads) rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

In which Carswell Thorne is pretty much a jerk but also really really cute.
Melanie
0.5) Glitches ★★★
0.6) The Little Android ★★★
1.0) Cinder
1.5) The Queen's Army ★★★★★
2.0) Scarlet ★★★
3.0) Cress ★★

If you sign up for Marissa Meyer's newsletter you will receive this short story for free. You can also just wait for Stars Above to be released, which will contain this story, three other free stories, and one brand new story.

This story follows a young Thorne, and his life growing up to become the Captain we know and love. We mostly get to see the story about Kate Fallow that Cress fi
Lau
May 07, 2014 Lau rated it liked it
3.5

Linda y simpática historia de un día en el comienzo de la adolescencia de Carswell Thorne. Si leyeron Cress, éste es ese suceso ¿heroico? del que habla en ese libro.

Me gusta que Marissa Meyer no hace cambios abruptos en la personalidad de sus personajes, lo mismo que ocurre en Fairest.

Ya se nota que desde chico Thorne estaba hecho de la misma madera que ahora, y si bien es bueno y relativamente noble, se ve que no siempre está dispuesto a hacer las cosas del modo más... legal.
De todos modos
Daniel
Jun 30, 2015 Daniel rated it liked it
Thorne mi nije ni u osnovnoj priči bio baš omiljen lika i ova pričica mi nije popravila mišljenje o njemu. Mali eogista koji se izvlači na svoj izgled.

Sama pričica je fino napisana i daje malo više uvida u karakter lika koji nije imao puno mesta za razvoj u glavoj knjizi.
Eugenia
AAAAYYY QUÉ HERMOSOOO <3.
ME ENCANTÓ.
Thorne es perfecto, me encanta mucho. No se especifica qué edad tenía en esta historia, pero ya desde chico era perfecto. Re ingenioso y gracioso y lindo, me muero.
No sé qué decir, sólo que me encantó y que Marissa Meyer sigue mereciéndose mil altares.
Paula
Jan 09, 2016 Paula rated it really liked it
Ay Thorne, te dejo que me estafes y me robes el corazón<3 ahre

Chace es Adrian Ivashkov y también el capitán.
Danni Darling
Apr 12, 2015 Danni Darling marked it as to-read
WAIT THERES A NOVELLA ABOUT THORNE?!?! AND I DIDNT KNOW??
Gabriella Alaniz
Oct 27, 2015 Gabriella Alaniz rated it really liked it
I love Carswell! I want a whole series based on him!!! Marissa Meyer make it happen!!!
Feb 21, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky is a free short story in Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles that was originally only available in Target exclusive copies of Cress which was a huge disappointment to international readers like me who had no chance of buying a copy. Thankfully this story is now available to anyone, all you have to do is sign up for Marissa Meyer's newsletter and she'll send you a free copy of it. Don't you just love it when author's give something back to their fans? I know I do so I ...more
P
Jan 01, 2015 P rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
3 ดาว - เปนตอนสันๆของกัปตันคารสเวลลทีมีความใฝฝันตังแตเดกวาตองการเกบเงินมาซือยานอวกาศเปนของตัวเอง คารสเวลลทีปัญหาในวิชาคณิตศาสตรทีโรงเรียนของเขาจนตองขอใหเดกหญิงคนหนึงมาติวใหเขา และนันเปนเรืองราวตอนทีเขาสรางวีรกรรมขึนมา ในตอนทายทีคารสเวลลเลาใหเครส (ในเลมของ Cress) ฟังวาจริงๆแลวทีเขาปกปองเดกหญิงคนนันเพราะเขาตองการลอกการบานคณิตศาสตรเธอ ไมใชเพราะเขาแอบชอบเธอ จำไดวาตอนอานถึงประโยคนีเราขำกากเลย

อานไดเรือยๆ นาเบือไปนิด สนุกนอยไปหนอยถาเทียบกับเรืองสันเรืองอืนๆของหนังสือชุดนี
Klinta
Dec 04, 2015 Klinta rated it did not like it
This was such a cliche school story that it was really boring to read.

Taking that Marissa Meyer uses the future setting fine enough in her books, I certainly did expect something more than description of scenes that could have been happening right now and the fact that exactly the same things, same lessons and same relationships happen in future, just was… boring.

It surely shows Carswell's motivation and hard work, but I kind of don't really care about that and yes, I can see that he was assho
Zaz
Mar 24, 2017 Zaz rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, series
Even if I didn't find Carswell really likable in this short story, I enjoyed to discover who he was in his teens. On the series side, I appreciated the fact the story gave more informations about an event mentioned in Cress.
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Love Is A Choice (Across the Universe, #0.6)
  • This Night So Dark (Starbound, #1.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy, #1.5)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • The Tailor (The Grisha, #1.5)
  • Sparks Rise (The Darkest Minds #2.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence, #0.5)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • Portrait of a Donor (Starters, #1.75)
  • Outcast (Defiance 0.5)
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus War, #0.5)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

More about Marissa Meyer...

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)

“The first time, he had wondered why she liked books so much, and if it was similar to why he liked spaceships. Because they could take you somewhere far, far away from here.” 8 likes
“The first time, he had wondered why she liked books so much, and if it had anything to do with why he liked spaceships. Because they could take you somewhere far, far away from here.” 0 likes