Start by marking “Play It Away: A Workaholic's Cure for Anxiety” as Want to Read:
Play It Away: A Workaholic's Cure for Anxiety

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Play It Away: A Workaholic's Cure for Anxiety

"Here's the cure to your stress!"
Tony Robbins, Strategic adviser to world leaders, #1 bestselling author of Personal Power (40 million copies sold)

Do you feel guilty or anxious when you're not working? Have you stopped playing with your friends? Do all of your daily activities revolve around building a more successful career?

Do you have trouble breathing, relaxing,
Published February 6th 2014 (first published February 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Play It Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Play It Away

Start your review of Play It Away: A Workaholic's Cure for Anxiety
Rory
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it
It was alright, and some good tips here and there. The central thesis is a good one. It's just very... location specific. He keeps recommending that you go outside to play, how important the sunshine is. Well that's fine... If you don't live in, say, England.

Ideal if you live in California and have the salary to afford foods he recommends. And ability to just change your job, as is one of his recommendations. Myself, I can't just go hop into some ideal job, or just "change projects" like he
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
Since I'm only giving this 2 stars, I feel like I should start out by saying that I didn't hate this book. It was short, succinct, easy to read, and did have a few nuggets that I found interesting and/or helpful. I am in 100% violent agreement that people should work less and enjoy life more.

That said, I did a TON of eye rolling as I read this. You gave yourself an anxiety disorder because you work too much? I mean, I know there are people who do this and I'm not saying that Hoehn's anxiety
Matthew Turner
How, exactly, should we judge a self-help book?

Did Play it Away actually help with my anxiety? Absolutely. There are some really neat little tricks in here, and Im quite grateful for some of the advice and stories contained in the text. For those reasons alone, Ive recommended this book to others. Easy then: ★★★★★

But wait a minute was this book really just a few interesting little tidbits stretched into a full-length publication? Did this occasionally come across as an attempt to monetize and
Jenni
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
*Spoiler alert* This book contains some good material that will be very familiar to anyone who has ever read anything (or even skimmed a blurb) from the self-help or popular psychology genres.

The author simply points out that being a workaholic will eventually result in serious psychological issues, and doing things that are enjoyable will aid in recovery. Thank you for that, Dr Obvious. It's a pleasant enough read, with a lot of humour and some good suggestions, but there's nothing new here.

Jackie
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've been a licensed therapist for many years and worked with countless anxiety sufferers who wanted the magic secret to eliminating anxiety without changing any of their destructive habits.

One of my standard questions is "what do you do for fun?" The answer always speaks volumes.

I loved Charlie's story because he makes a point of telling the struggle of feeling driven to work all the time and showed just how that breaks down your physical and emotional state.

Leticia Supple
This book was promoted well, by both the author and by his ex-boss, Tim Ferris. But it's pretty shit. Well, rather, it's pretty shit unless you have extreme anxiety and no ability to get out of your hole. In that case, I imagine it might be useful for you.

But if you want a book about how play is good for you as a grown-up, save your money.

I'm not often that blunt when it comes to books. The truth is, though, that this book would have been better as a newsletter. It's a little bit about the
Philippe Vachon-rivard
Jun 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Superficial at best

Not sure what I was expecting from a Tim Ferris apprentice. Sounds more like a pamphlet from someone trying make money off of a serious common illness with cheap marketing tricks. Do not recommend.
Amanda Van West
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great, quick read (finished it in one sitting at a cafe)! It's such a simple but powerful reminder of just how important play is in life, especially when dealing with major anxiety, stress, and/or panic attacks.

Had quite a few, "holy shit that sounds so much like me!" moments in this. I don't think this book will magically unravel years of anxiety and stress-related issues, but I do see it as a very powerful tool.

A standout passage that really resonated with me:

"It took me a long time to see it,
J. Dakar
Nov 04, 2017 added it
Recommends it for: everyone
This provided a few tips that would be beneficial to everyone.

"Kid's don't run to get in shape; they run to feel the wind in their face and the grass beneath their feet. Kids don't chat over coffee; they make jokes and play games with their friends. Kids don't network; they bond while they're having fun together. There is no ego. There is no guilt. There is no past to regret, and no future to worry about. They just play."
Peter
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Anecdotal advice for how one man reduced stress in his life. Easy read with some practical advice for managing anxiety. Many of the concepts and suggestions seemed random, but the overall premise shows some healthy alternatives to start a person on a path to a content and satisfying life.
Lorena
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is quite specific in its advice, which is why I like it. It's a matter of being able to relate to it, which is why it's not recommendable to everyone though.
GagaMil
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
The central idea of the bookthat people are play-deprived and that bringing more play into your life can help you cure anxietywas very valuable to me. It made me consider if I play enough, or even at all! For that, I thank the author.

However, the reason I give this book only 2 stars is that the author didn't really add his point of view. He just stumbled upon the idea of play in another book (he says so himself) and never developed it further. Hoehn's book is more of a series of generic
Philip
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid, quick read with very actionable advice. I didn't try every suggestion the author had but the ones I did act on made a difference, and I think the author would support this approach.

In a nutshell, we are the creators of our own anxious lives and the more we feel we "don't have time" to be playful, the more we perpetuate our own misery. As the book wonderfully puts it near the end, play "isn't an escape from the real world - it's a chance to reconnect with it."

If you work at a job where
Julie Schooler
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought I would like this book but I actually LOVED it. Short, conversational, with a lot of warmth and humour, this book tells the story of a workaholic who found play the cure for his anxiety. Filled with great tips and strategies to help busy, stressed out adults to revive their playful side. I also liked that it was jam-packed but short. Made me want to play frisbee golf immediately!
Allen Walton
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this read. Only takes about an hour and has lots of actionable material for making me less anxious.

Also cool to read behind the scenes stuff from the guy behind some huge launches (which btw, Charlie, would be a lot of fun someday).
Taylor Newill
Inspiring and a little aspirational. Got some good advice
Patrick Buggy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It doesn't matter if you have anxiety or not. This book is filled with practical tips for living with less stress and more energy.

A quick and enjoyable read.
Zsolt
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think it is a great short read. It is going to help you to play more :-)
Courtney Novak
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fast read, well designed. I have read a lot of books about mental health but learned a lot of new tricks. Excited to play more!
Jessi
Not a lot of new info for anyone who's read a self-help boo. It all boils down to getting rid of the things that anchor you and taking more time to play. A bit simplistic but a good message.
Aya
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked alot of the ideas proposed in the book. Its a light fun read
Sanne
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very short book, easy to read.
Feels like a very long blog post (this is positive). No words that werent necessary and a bunch of good tips!
Rick Martin
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I appreciated the authenticity that was discussed throughout the book. Good ideas of how to Play it Away and change up the game of life to stay out of the rut.
sharon goldsmith
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book was a timely reminder as to why play, friends and down time are most important for health and well being.
Henrik
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Read maybe 7 years ago, If i remember correctly it worked well then when I was like 23 and dealing with some anxiety. Didn't have any black-belt secrets but was well written.
Kathryn Ann
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great reminder of what I knew I missed as a child!

A few months before this book was recommended to me, I realized I did not connect with my seven year old in a playful manner. I realized my parents where not playful. I intentionally integrated play into my daily routine with him. It was amazing. When I read the book with dating in mind, I had an epiphany...connecting with your inner child through play is more and more attractive as you get older. I immediately stopped accepting just coffee dates
Mac
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
As of this writing, I've become a workaholic similar to the writer. It's very common to feel guilty when I'm not doing "productive" things, like eating, playing sports etc. and I increasingly get tired easier as each month goes by (it's been almost a year since I become an entrepreneur). Play has disappeared from my life and I have to relearn to do that again. Like literally relearn how to have a good time and what it feels like. For highly driven people, the "play" concept is very hard to ...more
Cara
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cara by: Mike Hrostoski
Shelves: life, health
I've had this book for a long time, and either I never knew what it was about, or I forgot. But I just heard the author speak in an online self-publishing workshop, and he mentioned this book. Once I heard that it was about getting debilitating anxiety from working too hard and burning yourself out, and then learning to cure yourself, how could I not read it? If I had read it last year, I might have been able to skip the whole burnout/breakdown/depression crash.

This is a good book with lots of
Alexander
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not an anxious anonymous brochure. And thats a great thing.

Well, the book was awesome. Bought it by recommendation from Ryan Holiday (also it showed up in the Amazon recommendations). Anxiety is not much of a problem for me (though in the last couple of months it probably started to get worse). So I would probably not buy the book if I read the description and thought that it was aimed at curing the particular condition.
However Im going to try to apply these tips anyway. For example, Ive
Michel
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only began to read this book because it was free on Charlie's website and I'd seen the book cover in random places for months. So...I finally decided to attempt it. I had low expectations, as I figured that there would be the same ol' remedies of "get more sun", "get enough sleep", "meditate", etc. And there were! But...in addition to his heavy "play like you did when you were a kid" angle...it was Charlie's 4-week plan that got me. The combination and layout of all the new action steps kept ...more

• The Worry Trick: How Your Brain Tricks You Into Expecting the Worst and What You Can Do About It
  • A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future
  • Outsmart Your Anxious Brain: Ten Simple Ways to Beat the Worry Trick
  • Panic Attacks Workbook: A Guided Program for Beating the Panic Trick
  • Self-Help for Your Nerves: Learn to relax and enjoy life again by overcoming stress and fear
  • Where Good Ideas Come from: The Natural History of Innovation
  • The Big Book of Kombucha: Brewing, Flavoring, and Enjoying the Health Benefits of Fermented Tea
  • Meal Prep Cookbook: Plan, Prepare, and Portion Your Whole Food Meals (Whole Foods Diet for Weight Loss Book 2)
  • Essence of the Bhagavad Gita: A Contemporary Guide to Yoga, Meditation, and Indian Philosophy
  • The Upanishads
  • Shatter Me Complete Collection: Shatter Me, Destroy Me, Unravel Me, Fracture Me, Ignite Me
  • Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think
  • Technology in Action: Introductory
  • Find Me (Shatter Me, #4.5, #5.5)
  • Bold: How to Go Big, Create Wealth and Impact the World
  • Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama
  • Grow Younger, Live Longer: Ten Steps to Reverse Aging
  • Women & Money: Owning the Power to Control Your Destiny

News & Interviews

“Kid's don't run to get in shape; they run to feel the wind in their face and the grass beneath their feet. Kids don't chat over coffee; they make jokes and play games with their friends. Kids don't network; they bond while they're having fun together. There is no ego. There is no guilt. There is no past to regret, and no future to worry about. They just play.” 0 likes
“There’s no ‘I’ in anxiety. Wait. Yes there is.
Oh my god oh my god oh my god. — Eliza Bayne”
0 likes