Start by marking “The Veiled Lady: A Short Story (Hercule Poirot)” as Want to Read:
The Veiled Lady: A Short Story (Hercule Poirot)

The Veiled Lady: A Short Story

(Hercule Poirot)

A classic Agatha Christie short story, available individually for the first time as an ebook.

Frustrated with a lack of challenging cases, Poirot is given an opportunity to flirt with the other side of the law. A young lady, soon to be married, is being blackmailed and pleads for his help. Poirot employs some dubious methods to bring the blackmailer to justice…
Published July 2nd 2013 by Witness Impulse (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Veiled Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Veiled Lady

Start your review of The Veiled Lady: A Short Story (Hercule Poirot)
Dita
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry Aggie but this novella wasn't nearly as clever, interesting or original as most of your work.

I guess I'll have to give you another 96 or so chances to make it better.
Sandra
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Clever and enjoyable little mystery.
Anne
A hot chick wearing a veil walks into a bar...
How do you know she's hot, my rotund Belgian friend?
Shut up.
My mustache gives my little grey cells super-deduction skills.

description

Ok, not a bar. She walks into Poirot's house, and hires him to try to retrieve a scandalous letter from a blackmailer.
Always burn the letters, ladies!

description

In traditional Agatha Christie style, Hercule solves the case by checking out a kitchen, & noticing that someone's shoes are janked up...

Because realistic!

Honestly, this was too sho
Alice (MTB/Alice Tied The Bookish Knot)
*Borrowed from my public library's e-book service!*

This was a five minute dose of Christie's famous detective Hercule Poirot that I was happy to have, before the start of a day of shopping and travel. Originally published in 1923 in the famous Sketch Magazine, a young woman wearing a veil asks Poirot for his services in solving a blackmailing case. Question is, is this woman as honest as she seems to be? It was a very quick read, I would recommend for those readers looking for a fast fix. The st
Juli
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Hercule Poirot short story was first printed in the UK in The Sketch magazine in October 1923. Publication in the United States followed in 1925 in The Blue Book magazine.

Poirot is hired by a mysterious woman in a veil. She is being blackmailed regarding a letter she once sent to a soldier who died in the war. Her blackmailer threatens to send the letter to her fiance, who she fears would call off their engagement after reading her ardent love letter, even though the recipient is now dead.
Caidyn (he/him/his)
Very good and fun. I didn't remember this one until I actually got a few lines in, which was when the episode for this came right into mind. Of course, it's fun. Poirot comes up with some answer that was completely out there and something I wouldn't have guessed at all. Christie holds back small pieces of information to the reader so they can't figure it out. But, it's fun. I just love Poirot so much.
Jack Heath
3 Stars. Just a little short for my taste, at 13 pages, with the plot not as well developed as it could have been. It first appeared in "Blue Book" magazine in the United States in March 1925. "The Veiled Lady" was not in the English collection, "Poirot Investigates," but was one of the three additional stories in the 1925 American edition. Our famous detective is bemoaning the lack of challenging cases. "They fear me, Hastings; the criminals of your England." Ever grounded, Hastings replies, "I ...more
Brooklyn Tayla
Yet another newly discovered favourite. I don't know how I hadn't read this one already but gosh AC never fails to amaze me with her genius :)
Gareth Cassidy
Simple and very short crime story. Poirot solves a case of blackmail in no time.
Rachel Burke
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It didn’t go where I thought it would. Also, both The Mentalist and The Silence of the Lambs make an allusion to the story.
Adriana
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy all Agatha Christie's mysteries, but in this one we were not "shown" an important detail so we couldn't play along and guess
Megan Oldland
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a super short read, but I still enjoyed it. It kind of showed a different side of Hercule that I have not seen in the other novels I have read with him.
Gloria
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone; detective; mystery stories; who done it?
Poirot is hired by a veiled lady, claiming to be Lady Millicent to retrieve a letter written to a soldier and quite indiscreet. (Lady Millicent is engaged to a duke and the file is known to be jealous.) She is being threatened by a man with the letter, saying is she does not pay, he will send the letter to the duke.

Poirot finds the letter, and (view spoiler)
unknown
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love Christie

Short, sweet and to the point. I always hear David Suchet's voice when I read Poirot. I gave it a 4 as I wanted it to be longer. I am greedy when it comes to Mrs. Christie.
Agata
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: christie-agatha, 2014
Not very thrilled with this story, however it had some interesting elements in the plot that I have not come across yet in Christie's books. In general a good read.
Abeer Albossany
They usual good and collective good stories.
Chelle
The narrator ruined this for me, Hugh Fraser would have made it a much more palatable listen.
Marlee
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DJ
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poirot sort of gets his chance to be on the other side of the law, a little bit.
Meg
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anita Deacon
Very similar to a Sherlock Homes story (a scandal in Bohemia) and I prefer the Sherlock one
Tgordon
Is just a very short story and I agree with others that it’s not one of her best!
James
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having just read Arthur Conan Doyle’s “The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton” The thought of how similar both authors are are confirmed with both these books, which, are a near mirror image of each other.
Asif Ahmed
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is my first book by Agatha Christie.

Actually, I listened to the audiobook version dubbed in my native language.

At first, it seemed an existing story but the more I listen, it became a bit dull.

However, the story was different and I will try more books of the author.
James
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a short story, not only was this rather jolly, but, also full of surprises. It cleverly combines two stories into one, and, you get to see an unusual side to Poirot in his methods of dealing with a case.

In this story, the primary case is of a lady who is apparently being blackmailed for a compromising letter she wrote to a soldier many years earlier.
Cat
It reminds me of a Sherlock Holmes story about a blackmailer~~lovely lady goes to brilliant detective for help with being blackmailed. Said brilliant detective proposes to break into the blackmailer's house on her behalf..... sounds supremely familiar. And then it got stood on its head. Sorry, sweet, and totally worth the read.
Anthony
Hercule Poirot is approached by a veiled lady to retrieve a letter from a Mr. Lavington who threatens to ruin her engagement if she doesn't pay him twenty thousands pounds for the letter. After retrieving the letter, Hercule Poirot, recovers something much more valuable.
Luan Morina
a nice brain-teaser when in need for a little dose of mystery...
Christian Barrera
Meh...I was hoping something more interesting. I know this is not the best Agatha Christie book but I guess I don't like short stories. It's a good book to read on the rush but don't expect too much.
Sue
May 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was a short story. I didn’t pay attention to that before I downloaded the book. I’m not particularly fond of short stories.

• Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery, #5)
  • The Book Stops Here (A Bibliophile Mystery, #8)
  • A Play of Isaac (Joliffe the Player, #1)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery, #3)
  • A Play of Treachery (Joliffe the Player, #5)
  • A Play of Knaves (Joliffe the Player, #3)
  • A Play of Dux Moraud (Joliffe the Player, #2)
  • The People Of The Black Circle
  • Traitor's Purse (Albert Campion Mystery, #11)
  • The Lady of the House of Love
  • The Musgrave Ritual (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Company of Wolves
  • Casting the Runes
  • The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #10)
  • Dissenter on the Bench: Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Life and Work
  • The Adventure of the Copper Beeches (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #12)
  • The Mystery of Marie Rogêt
  • Black Plumes

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)