Start by marking “Anyone But Ivy Pocket” as Want to Read:
Anyone But Ivy Pocket

Anyone But Ivy Pocket

(Ivy Pocket #1)

Ivy Pocket is a twelve-year-old maid of no importance, with a very lofty opinion of herself. Dumped in Paris by the Countess Carbunkle, who would rather run away to South America than continue in Ivy's companionship, our young heroine (of sorts) finds herself with no money and no home to go to ... until she is summoned to the bedside of the dying Duchess of Trinity. For th ...more
Published April 9th 2015 by Bloomsbury Children's

To ask other readers questions about Anyone But Ivy Pocket, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Hannah
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Anyone But Ivy Pocket
LENA TRAK
This was anazing!!!

Children's books can be so fascinating! I loved the mystery, I loved the humour!!!!
Can't wait to read the next one!

5 stars for Ivy Pocket, because of her particular set of talents and skills... LOL
Chiara
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
A copy of this novel was provided by Bloomsbury Australia for review.

I really don’t know if this book is the most ridiculous or most entertaining thing I have ever read.

From the very beginning I was wary, for middle grade fiction books tend to be either hits or misses with me, and this one seemed extremely “quirky”. I nearly DNFd it about 25 pages in, because I didn’t know if I could continue reading it. Why? The following:

1 – The repetitive writing style. Namely “I have all the natural instinct
MissBecka Gee
An imagination fueled 12 year old on a mysterious adventure.
The STUNNING illustrations spaced throughout the book really stole the show for me.
The story was full of energy and Ivy Pockets reminded me of Amelia Bedelia in the best kind of way.
The naivety was there for sure.
I did think Ivy's manners were a bit brutish at times, but that too makes for interest in the story.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Once in a while a book comes along that you utterly fall head over heels in love with. Ivy Pocket, you are incredible. Ivy is a character you're never likely to forget. Only twelve, but she's full of self importance and tall tales about her life. She's brash, arrogant and quite rude... But Ivy sees her meddling and astute observations as a wonderful character trait, often baffled at the overreaction of those she's kind enough to grace her opinions with. Bu
Rashika (is tired)
***This mini-review has also been posted on The Social Potato

I am not sure whether this book is absolutely brilliant or a pain in the ass. Ivy Pocket reads a little like Amelia Bedelia (who just happens to be one of my favorite characters ever) and that brings up the question of whether this book was supposed to be a satirical or if we’re actually supposed to take Ivy Pocket seriously.

I am going to go with the former because if the latter were true, I’d have some serious issues with the book.

Ivy
Mirna
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Funny, adventurous, excellent. I had so much fun reading this book. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel
Rabiah
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2...

When I first read the synopsis, Ivy Pocket’s character sounded a lot like Amelia Bedelia from the Amelia Bedelia series by Peggy Parish. However, what really drew me to the book was the illustration on the front cover. It looked quite gothic and kind of reminded me of Tim Burton’s stop-motion films, so I knew I had to give this one a try. I don’t often laugh out loud when it comes to reading books but when I was reading Anyone But Ivy
Yipin
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read. Humorous. Finished in one day!

You hate her, but you pity her. But you know that she won't want you to pity her. So you just try to like her despite her quirkiness. But once you try, you actually do like her. She's warm and friendly, although she's got a funny way of showing her kindness and gratitude.

There's enough magical elements inside to attract young readers and at the very end, you get a hint that there will be more to come.

The type of book I want my kids to read. Kindness, s
JE Owen
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this aloud to my 3 children and they absolutely adored it.
Every night they begged for "just one more chapter! just one more chapter!"
This book covered it all: funny, great story, great characters, a little but scary in parts (but not too scary!) - and absolutely engaging.
Bedtime was stretched out on a few nights just so we could read a little bit more!
My children have quoted to me often from the book since we read it, it has really stuck with them. Recommended for kids 5 to 12.
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
I have to admit that I was hooked to this book even before I read the blurb. No it’s not the cover, but the message from the author at the back of the ARC that I received. I have received quite a few ARCs before but none with such a message from the author. It was different, it was interesting and it was humorous and that is what got me hooked to the book. Here’s a pic of the back cover so that you can take a look for yourself (I just had to share it!)

Ivy Pocket is a twelve year old who works as
A Canadian Girl
Anyone But Ivy Pocket by Caleb Krisp is one of those books where I alternated between liking it and being annoyed by it. On the one hand, Ivy was so ridiculous and made me laugh; and on the other, had she been someone real, I probably would have strangled her.

As a character, Ivy kind of reminded me of Amelia Bedelia. For those of you unfamiliar with Amelia Bedelia, she’s a housekeeper who gets into all kinds of shenanigans because she’s constantly misinterpreting things, yet you can’t help but
Emilie
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I figured I would only read a few chapters, since I borrowed it from work I aimed to return it before my last day. Well, the story was so exiting! I could not stop reading it! I was not expecting this. It was funny, sad, suspensful and had the most beautiful illustrations.

What else can I say? I'm looking forward to the second book.
Lydia
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, whimsical and heart-breaking, all at the same time!

Mystery, an insufferable but utterly charming and good-hearted heroine, and villains abound! Anyone but Ivy Pocket is now one of my favorite books, and has earned itself an honourable position on my bookshelf!

Ivy Pocket is an orphan and a maid. She is introduced as a horrific maid with unorthodox methods of serving her employers -- dunking their faces into fruit punch to cure fever, for example. Then she is called into the room of a dying
Sanja_Sanjalica
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, teen-and-ya
I like the Ivy character, find her amusing and silly, still, she has a power of stubbornness and frankness I often don't encounter in many child characters. Her naivety makes the story go forward and is amusing and terrifying at the same time. Definitely an amusing read, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Christy
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ivy is a true original. This book made me laugh out loud!!! I couldn't put it down. I had to see how Ivy's mystery adventure played out. I think this one of the most original protagonists I have read in children's fiction in a long time. I highly recommend kit!!
Chelsea Herondale
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
Review to come
Sophie
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This book is bonkers and a lot of fun! I really liked the illustrations as well. I've already bought the next book in the series, looking forward to it.
Gisbelle
description
My thanks to Bloomsbury Children's & Edelweiss

------------------------------------------------------------------
Point of View: Single (Ivy)
Writing: First Person | Past Tense
Setting: France/England
Genre: Middle Grade | Fantasy
------------------------------------------------------------------

This book was a delight; I really enjoyed the craziness that came with it.

Ivy was a nutcase with a tendency to exaggerate her lies. There were times that she made me laugh, for it was too weird that she c
Calista
This is an amazing book. Why is this not on people's list of amazing books to read? I am so lucky to have picked it up at the library. A hilariously gothic tale of a young maid who gets herself in the middle of a mystery over a diamond. Ivy is a unique little character calling her employers fatheads in the sweetest way possible. She has a way with blunt truth. I don't want to spoil a thing about this book. It is well worth the read and you will enjoy this little gem of a book. Please, do yoursel ...more
Carolina Edvinsson
My review in swedish ---> Romeoandjuliet

Belles Middle Grade Library
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wowza!! What a book y’all! This was my kind of humorous historical fiction mystery MG for sure! I can see where some people who read this might be annoyed by Ivy & her lack of..catching on to some things, so to speak..or her constant lies...lol but I found her amazing!! Some reviewers seemed to be very mad b/c of these things lol like calm down, this is a humorous MG not some serious adult fiction-this is meant to be exactly what it is. Ivy is written to be exactly what she is. I laughed so much ...more
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: extended-reviews

Thanks to Miss Ivy Pocket, books about 12-year-old maids are sure to be the next craze in children’s literature. Even as I write this, I can see weary, underpaid book clerks unloading crate after crate of tales about preteen servants – everything from alternate history dystopian steampunks with a pathetic drivel as lead, to exciting, spellbinding triumphs that bring Victorian England to life, and that feature intelligent, lovable heroines. Anyone But Ivy Pocket is neither of these.

Ivy Pocket is,
Yolanda Sfetsos
I received this gem from Bloomsbury Australia a few weeks ago, and finally picked it up on Friday night to get a feel for the story. Before I realised it, I'd already read 70 pages. It totally hooked me in!

Ivy Pocket is twelve, and she's a lady's maid. According to her she's very capable, has many talents, can conjure up a remedy for just about anything, and has been bestowed with a series of spectacular gifts. But others have a different opinion. So much so that Countess Carbunkle dumps her in
Michelle
My Review:
Have you ever read a book that you have such mixed feeling about but you don't stop reading it? You feel like you could stop and wouldn't care or can continue just to find out what happens even if you are not particularly fond of the main character. At one point while reading Anything but Ivy Pocket I was actually wishing I was reading, ANYTHING BUT, Ivy Pocket but for some reason I just didn't stop.

I am all over the place when it comes to this book, I am a big middle grade book read
Children's Book Chat
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
By Amy Davies

This middle grade mystery follows the adventures of Ivy Pocket, the world's most ridiculously entertaining maid. Anyone But Ivy Pocket is full of character, mishaps and fun, which are underpinned by some more serious themes such as death, family and loyalty.

Ivy Pocket is a twelve year old orphan who became a maid to escape Harrington Home for Unwanted Children. When her most recent mistress runs half way across the world to escape her, leaving only a £1 payment for her services, Ivy
Elaine
What a hilarious story this is. Ivy Pocket is a twelve year old maid who has very high opinions of her own opinions and her self importance! After working in London, her employers encourage a visiting Countess to take her on as her personal maid as she travels to Paris. The Countess Carbuncle does this and Ivy just cannot see why the Countess is not delighted with her service (which included pushing her employer’s head into punch at a dinner party!). The countess has had enough and escapes, leav ...more
Clare
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Twelve year old Ivy Pocket is a maid, sacked by her employer at the beginning of the novel, and left destitute in Paris. She is summoned to the bedside of the Duchess of Trinity and asked to deliver a very precious jewel, the Clock Diamond, to Matilda Butterfield in England on the occasion of her birthday for the reward of £500. Ivy agrees, and starts her adventure of gothic charm, ghosts, catastrophe and murder.
The brilliance of the novel though, is not so much the somewhat violent action scene
Sandra Guerfi
Ivy Pocket is a delicious blend of Amelia Bedelia and a possible future psychopath, in the sweetest way imaginable. As a twelve year old maid she leaves an indelible impression on her employers, many of whom are desperate to see the back of her. With her tall tales and supercilious attitude, Ivy is not above shoving her latest Lady's face in a punch bowl to help soothe her brain fever. After all, it's her job.

Finding herself abandoned in Paris by the woman she has driven to the brink of insanity
Eleanor
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story was exactly how I thought it would be; a light hearted, adventurous and sarcastic, mysterious turn of events. I loved the writing style and how the author managed to differentiate each of the characters personalities by there speech. I managed I fall in love with the main character, Ivy, even though he was a narcissistic, lying twit haha. The humour is so simple its brilliant, its a great combination of mystery and easy-read comedy.

Although the story line involved alot of come and go
Karen • The Book Return
Read more on my blog: The Book Return Blog
Ivy Pocket is a 12 year old maid in Victorian England. She is given a mission, by the Duchess of Trinity. to deliver a special gift to an old friend's' granddaughter at her birthday party. Much mayhem and foolishness then ensues.
This book was amazingly clever. It really is different then any book I have read . Ivy Pocket is such a wonderful character. She is both clever and self-centered but also amazingly cute (she also doesn't take herself too seriousl
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • Zoe. Amistades Imperfectas
  • Cinderela pop
  • Princesa das águas
  • Princesa adormecida
  • Faking It (Fake Boyfriend Duet Book 1)
  • Kiss and Make Up (Bayfield High #2)
  • Perfectly Clueless: A Bayfield High Romance Book 3 (Bayfield High Series)
  • Risking It
  • City Spies
  • The Power of Poppy Pendle
  • Warren the 13th and The All-Seeing Eye (Warren the 13th, #1)
  • Astrid the Unstoppable
  • Truth or Dare (Bayfield High #1)
  • Silverpojken
  • The Elsewhere Emporium
  • The Blameless
  • The Otherwhere Emporium

Ivy Pocket (3 books)
  • Somebody Stop Ivy Pocket
  • Bring Me the Head of Ivy Pocket (Ivy Pocket, #3)