Start by marking “Hedgehugs” as Want to Read:
Hedgehugs

Hedgehugs

(Hedgehugs)

Horace and Hattie are hedgehogs, and the very best of friends. Together, they make daisy chains, splash in puddles, and have tea parties. But there is one thing they can't do—hug! They are just too spiky. Throughout the seasons, these two hedgehogs will try many different ways of hugging. But will Horace and Hattie find a hug that feels just right?
Paperback, Illustrated edition, 32 pages
Published February 6th 2014 by Maverick Arts Publishing (first published January 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hedgehugs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hedgehugs

Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books

Best friends, Horace and Hattie have so much fun together. Tea parties, daisy chains, swings, and more. But there’s one thing these two hedgehogs can’t share--a hug. They are just too spiky for hugs. These BFFs have tried it all from hollow logs to rolling in snow. Can Hattie and Horace finally find a way to share a hedgehug?

This sweet, sweet story has a soft look to the pages that makes the sweetness shine even brighter. Pink cheeks, butterflies, flowers, and hearts! Warmth and sweetness live i
Elevetha
This is so adorable!! I squealed in delight when I saw it in the bookstore, hastily grabbed it on the shelf, and gleefully marveled at every hedgehog-filled page.

Hattie and Horace are the best of hedgehog friends, and do everything together, but they desperately wish to hug each other. Their poky quills make hugs troublesome and really just plain impossible. They try covering their quills with anything they find, from strawberries and snow*, to leaves and hollow logs, but darn it all, nothing wo
Shari (colourmeread)
The cutest picture book I've read in a long time. I loved it!
Dolly
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2017, childrens, humor
This is a sweet story about loving friendship and overcoming obstacles. The narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are cartoonish and colorful. It's sure to appeal to young children and parents alike.

I love that Horace and Hattie come up with an agreeable solution, and that their solution also serves as an explanation for an age-old dilemma: (view spoiler)
Barbara
Horace and Hattie are hedgehogs that would dearly love to give each other a hug to show their feelings for each other. But hugging is might near impossible because of their spikes. They try everything, even covering their quills in snow or in leaves, but nothing works. Finally, they discover a couple of socks that allow them to give one another the best hug ever. This picture book from the United Kingdom provides amusement while also reminding readers that not everyone is receptive to a hug and ...more
Sana
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sana by: Maraia
Shelves: read-in-2015
Aww, this was just too adorable!
Calista
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My nephew brought me this book. Never read it before. I feel in love with this book. He obviously loves it too.

It's about 2 Hedgehogs trying to give each other a hug. How do they do it. They tried all kinds of ways and couldn't get it to work. Well, all those missing socks; the hedgehogs use them for hugs.

This is the cutest story ever!! I love it. Read it to your kids.
Rachel
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THEY WEAR SOCKS TO HUG. I CAN'T.
Monika
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Horace ja Hettie on siilid ja parimad sõbrad. Neile meeldib koos igasugu põnevaid asju teha, näiteks porilompides pladistada, kuid nad on liiga okkalised, et üksteist torkimata kallistada. Siilid proovivad erinevaid variante - küll teevad endist lumememmed või mähivad end puulehtedesse, aga ikka ei õnnestu. Kuid siis avastavad nad sokid, mille sisse pugedes saavad nad üksteist ohutult kaisutada.
Eelmisel nädalal tegin ühe suurema raamatupoe tuuri ja siilide ning ilusate lasteraamatute sõbrana ei
Elizabeth
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Have you ever wondered how hedgehogs can hug each other since they are so prickly? Well,. Hedgehugs answers the question through a really cute story about two best friends, Horace and Hattie. The text is simple and is easy to read against the background illustrations, so it will be easy for children to follow the story, and read on their own when they get to that point. The illustrations are very well done with a mixture of textures and colors that help to capture the feeling of each season that ...more
Samantha
Friends Horace and Hattie have a lot of fun together, but something is missing: hugs. Being prickly in texture makes it difficult to embrace each other so the two devise a bunch of different solutions, though nothing quite works until they alter a pair of socks fresh from the clothesline.

I like the story, especially the tie-in to the real world problem of mismatched/holey socks.

Digital artwork is okay, but the story is the main draw here. PreK-2.
Lynda
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute little story/ picture book playing on the idea of hugging hedgehogs to form "hedgehugs." How would you hug if your body was covered in pointy quills? The author explores this dilemma with charming, colorful illustrations.

"I liked all the parts. It's funny that they use socks to hug. Beauty and Love." - V, age almost 4
Taylor Woods
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, 2016
SO STINKIN CUTE
Elaine
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Laurie
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super cute book! Thanks to my bestie Aliesha for sending it to me! :)
Kimberly
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read to my son at two weeks old. He cried a little in the middle. I think he felt their pain and frustration.

Lovely whimsical illustrations. Very cute.
Adrienne
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Two of the best friends you'll ever meet with a particularly, prickly problem: How do hedgehogs hug?
Miss Clark
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, cute story about two hedgehogs who are good friends, but cannot give one another a hug because of their sharp quills. Alas! Alack! How can they solve this prickly problem?
DustBunniesAndBooks
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful story about two hedgehogs who are best friends who find just the right solution to allow them to hug without their quills interfering! Sweet drawings and fun story. If I had a nursery decorated in hedgehogs or little ones who liked hedgies, this book would be one I would purchase for sure.
Ashley
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hedgie-stories
A great book for young hedgehog enthusiasts
Cheryl
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reinforces basic gender stereotypes, but gently. Mostly it's just silly cute. Just, if your child knows any science or anything about the facts of life, I bet s/he won't like the premise. Still, something about it beguiles me, and if I can find more at my library I will read them.
Deb
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-alena
Cute book! It's good at presenting a problem and finding a solution that works. I like that it also explains how single socks go missing. I can now blame the neighborhood hedgehogs.
Brett
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, it's good to know that all those missing socks I previously thought were eaten by my dryer were going to such a good cause. Very sweet.
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too cute!
Claire Talbot
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An adorable picture book. I love the pictures, and the message of friendship. Horace and Hattie are the best of friends - but they are too spikey to hug! Each season, they try to hug covering themselves in snow, leaves, and strawberries; but nothing works until they discover a basket of laundry!
Alecia
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The beginning was cute, but it was the great ending which earned it's five stars. It was a perfect read a loud book with my kids since I am often reminding them to carefully put both socks in their hampers since I constantly end up with lone socks after each load of laundry. Now we know another possible reason why.
Genia Buchanan
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kids loved it.
Teresa Howard
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Good for story time. :)
Beckie
Love, love these characters and books. Skye loved the hedgehogs hugging. Beautiful illustrations!
Melissa
  • Strictly No Elephants
  • Nest

Hedgehugs (4 books)
  • Hedgehugs and the Hattiepillar
  • Hopping Hot (Hedgehugs)
  • Hedgehugs: Autumn Hide-And-Squeak