Start by marking “The Affair at the Inn” as Want to Read:
The Affair at the Inn

The Affair at the Inn

This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published December 18th 2012 (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about The Affair at the Inn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Affair at the Inn

Start your review of The Affair at the Inn
Jane Greene
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jane Austin fans, lovers of old fiction
This book is a hardback version printed in 1904. The author is primarily Kate Douglas Wiggin (author of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farms and woman responsible for opening and operating the first free kindergarten for children in the US). I say it is primarily written by Kate because the story revolves around 5 characters. Mrs and Miss Pomeroy both from the USA; Mrs. MacGill and Miss Evesham (English woman and her companion); and Sir Archibald MacKenzie (Scotsman). The story takes place at a country I ...more
QNPoohBear
A group of very different travelers meet at a country inn in Dartmoor in England. There's the lively American girl Virginia Pomeroy and her semi-invalid, hypochondriac mother; an older woman, Mrs. MacGill and her companion Cecilia Evesham. Rounding out the little group is Sir Archibald Maxwell Mackenzie. It's very dull and gloomy in Dartmoor and the travelers are the only ones at the inn. Mrs. Pomeroy and Mrs. MacGill are happy to stay indoors and complain about their various (often imagined) ai ...more
Dianna
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is four different authors writing from four different characters' perspectives. It was well done and did not feel disjointed at all. The book was charming, mostly because the characters were so much fun. There wasn't much to the plot, and it was fairly predictable, which is why I'm giving it only three stars. But this is a fun, light read, and I would recommend it.
Janeen
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the perfect book to read before bedtime. No fear of worry for the characters keeping you up at night. The Gibson Girl illustrations were among the greatest charms of the book.
Jody
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this type of book typically gets three stars from me, seeing through the eyes of several characters was very well done and made this simple story so much better! Also, the characters are just fun.
Katja
3 stars & 3/10 hearts. I expected this to be a mystery and it wasn’t, so I was a little disappointed. :P It was funny, and interesting. I liked Sir Archibald and Jinny a lot, and I appreciated that there was only one kiss & no other content besides some mild language. This wasn’t Wiggins’ usual style, but it was funny & light-hearted.

A Favourite Quote: “A man is a man firstly, I suppose; but secondly, at least, he ought to be a gentleman.’
A Favourite Humorous Quote: “It is just as I feared. The
MaryBliss
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy books written cooperatively by different authors in journal or epistolary form. This was a diverting one. The characters were fun.

Originally published in 1910.
Katie
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read, written from the perspective of four different characters. Unique and engaging. A charming story.
Rosemary Derris
Emily Kate
Mar 29, 2019
Hannah Wilcox
Aug 31, 2020
Mary Williamina Findlater (1865 - 1963) was a Scottish novelist. She was the daughter of a minister of the Free Church of Scotland and the elder sister of Jane Findlater.

Findlater wrote novels and poetry both alone (Songs and Sonnets, 1895; Betty Musgrave, 1899; A Narrow Way, 1901; The Rose of Joy, 1903; and others) and together with Jane (Tales That Are Told, 1901; Beneath the Visiting Moon, 1923