Start by marking “First & Then” as Want to Read:
First & Then

First & Then

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  10,998 Ratings  ·  1,858 Reviews
Devon Tennyson wouldn't change a thing. She's happy watching Friday night games from the bleachers, silently crushing on best friend Cas, and blissfully ignoring the future after high school. But the universe has other plans. It delivers Devon's cousin Foster, an unrepentant social outlier with a surprising talent for football, and the obnoxiously superior and maddeningly ...more
Published October 13th 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about First & Then, please sign up.
Pauline I loved this:
""But don't you love it?"

"Football?"

"Yeah, I love football..."

"So why don't you look happy when you play? You're the best at it. You'd…more
I loved this:
""But don't you love it?"

"Football?"

"Yeah, I love football..."

"So why don't you look happy when you play? You're the best at it. You'd think you'd be the happiest guy in the world."

"When you love something, you can't be happy all the time, can you? Like, that's why you love it. It makes you feel all kinds of things, not just happy. It can hurt, it can make you f*cking mad, but it makes you feel something, you know?""(less)
Roachie There was some kind of rumor, a while back, that all the toxins in potatoes are stored in the skins. I've also heard that eating the skins when they…moreThere was some kind of rumor, a while back, that all the toxins in potatoes are stored in the skins. I've also heard that eating the skins when they are green is bad. Don't know if any of that is true, though.(less)

Kat O'Keeffe
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up on a whim and flew through it in a single sitting! It was funny and cute and just what I wanted at the moment. I really enjoyed all the relationships--romantic, family, friends--and I loved how interesting the side characters were, and that they all had their own goals and stories.

I do wish we got a little bit more with the ending though. And while I loved the main character's sass and humor, I was a bit disappointed with how she regarded some of the other female characters (vie
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Actual rating : 2.5 stars (because Ezra)

▶ In the end, I got the impression that First & Then was trying to address way too many issues without really giving them the time of a day.

Cut off the Darcy-ish romance slooowly built that I genuinely enjoyed (with the important exception of one of the most anticlimactic ending I've ever read - Ugh, just ugh), the reader makes its way in a widespread confusion :

☑ You've got truthful "WTF" moment where you realize that you have no idea what the chara
C.G. Drews
This is about football. I DID NOT KNOW THIS BEFORE I STARTED. The blurb barely hints at football being a Big Thing and the cover...dudes, that cover does not say football. It says arty soliloquies and midnight cupcake snacks. Needless to say: I don't sport. So this wasn't the perfectest book for me. Buuuut it WAS STILL GOOD in many respects so I'm going to break it into a list. Because lists are awesome.

THINGS I LIKED

• The characters were really, really well written. They were so dimensional and
emma
if you hate:
- girl hate
- judgmental characters
- slut shaming
- gender expectations

then this is a book that will really annoy you for the first 2/3 or so before character development solves it all!!

also, if you like:
- football
- jane austen
- misunderstood jocks

then this is for you. i only like one of those things and i managed to survive.

this was mainly just okay, but look what it managed to tackle!! wow. all wrapped up in that cover. (i am a heart eyes emoji right now.)

bottom line: UNDERNEATH THE
Jaime Arkin
I simply can’t measure the love I have for this book… well I guess I can, with these 5 stars I’m giving it, but I just don’t feel like it accurately represents just HOW much I actually loved this story. I couldn’t stop reading and ended up staying up way too late just to finish.

photo lpjnUZXCDyFLq_zpsnlm8w9db.gif

Can I tell you all a secret? I have never read a single Jane Austen book. Ever.

photo tumblr_lws57oWHbs1qht847_zpsuhkno1u2.gif

Okay, stop with the astonished looks. I will tell you this. I am not much for the classics. I told myself I was going to read more of them
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Last week’s trip to the library/NetGalley was all due to status updates by Goodreads’ friends that hooked me like a fish immediately and had me clicking the request button without looking at ratings, reviews, synopses, nada, so it’s those friends who are owed the credit (Blame??? Guess the perspective depends on whether you like me or hate me) for this week’s reviews. First & Then got snatched up from the ol’ liburrrrrrry due to Li
Jill
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-i-own
I DID IT! I READ 7 BOOKS IN ONE WEEK! I HAVE WON BOOKTUBE-A-THON 2017!! *screams *falls into a heap on the floor

This book was cute... not my favorite contemporary but it was cute and I liked the second half quite a lot... It wasn't anything completely special though... but it was cute!!
Whitney Atkinson
I'm sad I didn't enjoy this to its maximum potential, because I adore the person who wrote it. Emma is so hilarious and genuine and articulate in her youtube videos, and I've been watching her since middle school. Her book, however, I'm not a huge fan of. She's a talented writer because she's SO incredibly smart, but this book had no drive. There was no real plot to it, and it almost felt as if the wrong person was telling the story. It focuses heavily on a character that's not the main characte ...more
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

"When you love something, you can’t be happy all the time, can you? Like, that’s why you love it. It makes you feel all kinds of things, not just happy. It can hurt, it can make you fucking mad, but…it makes you feel something, you know?”

While both underwhelming and absolutely perfect, this was exactly what I needed. I say this because I am having the hardest time lately, between work, home life, and my little fur babies, writing reviews. It’s starting to bother me that I am losing my review
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
Why didn't I realize this was a retelling of "Pride and Prejudice" in a modern setting? I would have picked it up sooner and I missed getting the author to sign it at a Fierce Reads event. *smacks head*

Quite easily one of the cutest contemporary stories that have similar personalities to the beloved Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy, all told within a football town with an adorable little cousin to match. I pretty much devoured this in one sitting, even if I'm on a good contemporary kick at the mo
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
Close your eyes, real tight, and then count to three hundred. That’s all you have to do. You just count to three hundred, and when you open your eyes, five minutes will have passed. And even if it hurts or things are shitty or you don’t know what to do, you just made it through five whole minutes. And when it feels like you can’t go on, you just close your eyes and do it again. That’s all you need. Just five minutes at a time."

This is just the second book in my Pride and Prejudice month, and
Maureen
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was seriously so adorable.
I loved the characters and was obsessed with the story (I just went to a movie and I couldn't stop thinking about getting home and finishing it). I definitely enjoyed Devon as a main character, and I especially related to her not really knowing what she wanted to do after high school because that was definitely me senior year.
There were different small elements of the writing that I didn't enjoy, and I also wasn't a huge fan of how Devon thought and spoke about ot
Kells Next Read
 photo 0f71e3c9-55b5-440a-98b7-ea10c8299263_zpsfnqqvfrd.jpg

What can I say about this light hearted, fluffy endearing read. I think that this book has something for everyone, it can be enjoyed by all as, ( in some small way or the other ) we all can ( at some point in our lives ) relate to what the author has penned. I laughed, I cried and was not able to stop reading until this engaging and mesmerizing piece of work was through.

I loved all the characters, the way they were presented and how they were seamlessly integrated into the storyline and our pr
Norah Una Sumner
description

I loved this book much more than I expected. Sarcastic characters, a unique family, hate-to-love relationship, sports, great sibling relationship, funny dialogues - Everything I want a book to have. And it made me cry for God's sake. I rarely cry and this one made me both cry and laugh out loud. I am a sucker for P&P retellings,I have to admit, and this book did not disappoint. The main character is extremely relatable and I loved reading from her perspective. The romance is slow-burning but
Danielle (Love at First Page)
When you tell me a book is Friday Night Lights meets Pride and Prejudice, well, there’s no way I can resist. Football and Jane Austen? Yes, please! I’ll be the first one in line. Of course, with that comes very high expectations, but for once the rumors are true: First & Then really does fulfill that appealing combination. It’s a celebration of our high school years and football, of romance and modern day Jane Austen. While it’s not perfect, it’s definitely a book that made me grin and swoon ...more
Celine (celinereads)
I can't stop smiling!

First & Then is such a cute and fast book to read. I actually enjoyed it more than I was expecting to. I love the characters, the friendship, the family aspect, and the whole storyline.

I highly recommend First & Then! :)
Alyssa
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

First & Then by Emma Mills
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Publication Date: October 13, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

kat
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
alright y’all let me just say one thing: C U T E
this book was super fast and super fun. somehow even though the story was so short i didn’t feel like there was much instalove or like the romance completely overwhelmed the story.

i will say that the story did try (and partially succeed) to tackle a lot of topics (drunk driving, adoption, etc.) and being only 290 ish pages did leave it lacking in certain places.

also, i definitely could have done without the “freshboys” and “prostitots” bc like, a
Gillian Berry
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GAH FEEEEEEELS
Sophie
You'll probably know by now that any book that has anything to do with Pride and Prejudice will be bound to catch my attention, at one point or another. I had heard about First & Then a while ago, via goodreads, but never got around to getting a copy until I discovered by library has ebooks that you can request, and this was top of my wishlist.

First & Then is a sort of modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice, taking place in a prestigious school. The main character, Devon, is just trying
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Rarely is a novel ever so utterly perfect that I've fallen in love from the very first page. First and Then was nothing short of immaculate and one of the loveliest contemporaries I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

UTTER. PERFECTION.

It follows the story of Devon, the girl, not the luncheon meat. She's an only child with doting parents and no real direction throughout her senior year of school. Then fourteen year old Foster comes to stay. Oh Foster, he was such a breath of fresh air. Adorably
Audrey
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018

I've been in a small reading slump lately since I haven't had the time to go to the library. I got this book since I trusted the author to help me get out of my slump, and I think it did the trick. I did enjoy this book and even though it wasn't the best, I still think
Krista Wright
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the cutest books I've read this year! "First & Then" is marketed as being Pride and Prejudice meets Friday Night Lights. Usually these kinds of comparisons make me roll my eyes, but that really is the perfect way to describe this book! I loved the slow-building romance between Ezra and Devon. But I also love seeing Devon grow as a person, and watching her other friendships change and grow as well. The most important part of this book, though, is the family dynamic between Devon and he ...more
Sierra
Rebekah
Review found at: www.awesomebooknut.com

I immediately picked this book up when I saw Pride and Prejudice in the synopsis after a friend recommended this book to me. I am loving all the pretty colors on the cover too!

So throughout the whole book I was trying to figure out the outline of Pride and Prejudice in this book. Didn’t really find it. I would not really say this is a Pride and Prejudice meets anything. I do however see the Friday Night Lights thing going on with this story just in case you
Kels
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pride and Prejudice fanatics (who are also into football!)
This was pretty cute! First & Then first piqued my interest when I found out that it was a modern day retelling of Pride and Prejudice meets Friday Night Lights, and I mean, come on, that's pretty ambitious.

But as a debut author, I can't say that I'm thoroughly impressed. I do think that Emma Mills has a knack for creating interesting, likable characters, and the premise was pretty darn unique and intriguing. However, there were just too many dull spots in the story, the writing didn't have
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Oh my gosh...that was sooooo flippin' adorable. My sis kept coming into my office while I was listening, and every time she'd ask why I was smiling. Easy...I couldn't stop because this book was so cute. I loved the homage to Jane Austen, to the snarky protagonist who could maybe take a page from one of her favorite books and try a little harder. With friends. In school. At life in general.

The author of this book actually performed the narration, and it was perfect. I always love it when an autho
Nomes
I really, really enjoyed this debut title. I loved the fresh prose right from the start but there was a bit of a lull in the first half of the novel where I just wasn’t sucked into a central pivotal event. But the second half was deliciously brilliant and had more of an unputdownable vibe (by then the characters had grown on me) and I could see the character arcs and complications and it was clear that Mills has skill in drawing out themes in subtle, natural ways that perfectly take you back to ...more
Maria Angelica
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tenho, lido-2015
Eu queria que esse livro tive sido mais longo. Que tivesse explorado mais os temas que propôs. Que o romance tivesse um pay-off mais cedo. Mesmo assim eu gostei muito do livro. É bem gostoso de ler e fácil de prender atenção. A heroína é carismática e o herói uma ótima representação do Mr. Darcy.
elena
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Aaaaah this was adorable and it made me want to go back to high school! I feel like this would make a great teen movie. I loved all the characters (except for Stanton he can get out) and I'd love it if we got a book on Jordan or Foster or Lindsay or Emir or Marabelle. They were all so interesting and complex!
Young Adult Conte...: #14 First & Then by Emma Mills 4 17 Jun 02, 2016 03:36PM
Uppercase Box Boo...: October Book Chat 12 105 May 02, 2016 08:35PM
Buddy Readers: First & Then - Emma Mills 1 17 Feb 13, 2016 12:56PM
Crazy for Young A...: First and Then by Emma Mills → Start Date: January 5, 2016 16 21 Jan 09, 2016 02:20PM
Perpetual YA Book...: Sunday Ch 33-END (229-END) 3 10 Nov 07, 2015 01:25PM
Perpetual YA Book...: Friday Ch 22-27 (155-192) 3 4 Nov 07, 2015 12:09PM
Perpetual YA Book...: Thursday Ch 16-21 (118-154) 3 2 Nov 07, 2015 09:48AM
  • Young Widows Club
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • I'll Be Yours
  • Play On (Lewis Creek, #1)
  • Drowning Is Inevitable
  • Kissing in America
  • The Wrong Side of Right
  • Not If I See You First
  • Emmy & Oliver
  • Rebound (Boomerang, #2)
  • Very in Pieces
  • The Chapel Wars
  • The Anatomical Shape of a Heart
Emma Mills is an author better known to her subscribers as vlogger Elmify. She is also cocreator and cohost of the "life skills" channel How to Adult, which ended in 2016.
More about Emma Mills

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Vengeance Road
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“A thousand electric cars could run on how you feel when you know that the person you like likes you back. It feels incredible. Like it shouldn't be possible. Of all the happy coincidences to ever exist, it's one of the happiest.” 45 likes
“When you love something, you can't be happy all the time, can you? Like, that's why you love it. It makes you feel all kinds of things, not just happy. It can hurt, it can make you fucking mad, but... it makes you feel something, you know?” 36 likes