Start by marking “Behind Closed Doors” as Want to Read:
Behind Closed Doors

Behind Closed Doors

(Andee Lawrence Series #1)

The powerful new novel about how life can change course in a heartbeat. From the Sunday Times Top Ten bestselling author of Never Say Goodbye.

When fourteen-year-old Sophie Monroe suddenly vanishes one night it looks at first as though she’s run away from home.

Her computer and mobile phone have gone, and she’s taken a bag full of clothes.

As the police investigation unfolds
Published August 14th 2014 by Century

To ask other readers questions about Behind Closed Doors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind Closed Doors

Start your review of Behind Closed Doors
Liz Barnsley
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
An intriguing and emotional read this one, the tale of a missing schoolgirl which throws up all sorts of underlying issues within a community and the police officer responsible for finding out what happened to her.

A wonderful mix of family drama and mystery, this is a gripping tale – mostly, I think, because of the emotional resonance this case has for Andrea Lawrence, our main protagonist, who’s sister went missing years before and was never found…her thoughts and feelings as she attempts to fi
Elaine
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Fourteen year old Sophie Monroe has gone missing following a row with her parents and DS Andrea Lawrence must lead the case investigating her vanishing, despite the fact that it has rekindled the most traumatic events ever to happen to her own family, events that have haunted them all and never been far from their minds. Her sister Penny went missing 20 years ago, and the family never knew her fate. Is Andee going to be able to investigate this new disappearance objectively, or is she going to b ...more
Julie Chapman
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must admit, I thought that this was going to be a tale of 'nothingness'.... But it wasn't, it was engaging, despite being an easy book to read. Crime, relationships and thought provoking.
*Ritzrenee*
Could be a potential Book
Another book which i read with the same title but also a little too high expectations

To be honest, this book was developing well until the revelation. I was looking through other reviews to find one which could resonate with me but to no avail. It could be due to the little reviews. Nonetheless, i was trying to find a connection to how the murderer was discovered. In no way could i have guessed it by instincts or through the plot revelation. To confirm this, i flipped ba
Miranda
Spoiler Alert!!

Ok so this was the first book I have read by this author and it wasn't bad. Having recently read the similarly themed 'Daughter' by Jane Shemilt, which was a debut novel and then this which is the authors 33rd novel, I have to say 'Daughter' was infinitely better.

My main annoyances with this novel have nothing to do with main story which in itself was fairly good and kept me turning the pages. My main dislike stems from the character of Martin. Firstly he leaves his wife and famil
Terri
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Review also found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher Ballantine via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. The expected publication date is January 20th 2015.

This is a genre that I do not typically gravitate towards. I don't know why as I generally always enjoy it when I do read it however I tend to prioritise other genres first. Perhaps it is time to change that as I may be missing some really good reads.

I found this sto
Gita
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the second book I read by Susan Lewis. While I quite like her style and I enjoyed the book there were some things that I did not like at all..

First of all - what is with all the police abbreviations?? I did not understand half of them and even googled one and still could not find a meaning of it. Was reading on kindle and highlighting it did not help either..

I was really interested in the story line but it was like once you got to 80% it all went downhill. Finished the book and told m
Kathy
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Fans of police procedurals do not want to miss Susan Lewis's newest release Behind Closed Doors. With a very intriguing mystery and an outstanding cast of characters, it is an absolutely riveting novel that is impossible to put down.

Detective Sergeant Andrea "Andee" Lawrence comes face to face with her unresolved and traumatic past when fourteen year old Sophie Monroe is reported missing. While investigating Sophie's case, Andee is haunted by the memories of her sister Penny's disappea
Best Crime Books & More
I am a fan if Susan Lewis and am rarely disappointed. This latest book didn’t disappoint me, but it felt like there was something missing. The one thing I really loved was the Detective Sergeant Andrea Lawrence. She had her own experience with missing persons and it makes her such an interesting character as her past inevitably affects her future. The story becomes quite involved quite quickly as the 14 year old Sophie Monroe goes missing. The parents are distraught and the police move quickly t ...more
Kim
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, net-galley, kindle
A 14 year old girl goes missing from a caravan park complex. The detective in charge also lost her sister at the same age - and she never turned up. She is determined to find this 14 year old and save her family the heartache that she's gone through over the years.

As they start to investigate more threads unravel and you begin to wonder what could have happened to Sophie.

There are background family issues with the detective and the normal teenage strife surrounding the girl who is missing.

It was
Lesley
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this to be a really thought provoking book. The story is underpinned by the real life issues of missing persons and the ripple effect this has on families and communities.
The story stayed in my thoughts for the time it took me to read it and beyond.
Denise
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by Susan Lewis and I was pleasantly surprised. Really good writing, an easy read but utterly gripping I will be reading more from this author.
annodluvsbks
When 14 year old Sophie Monroe goes missing DI Andee Laurence is determined to find her. NTMA and very hard to put down.

Thank you First Reads.
Jirinka (sony08)
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016

Another great book from Susan Lewis.

Much enjoyed with few twists and turns throughout.
denise andrews
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant well written it has me in tears
Mandy
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a nice read. It starts with a typical argument a teenager can have with her parents, feeling unloved and angry. The surroundings Sophie is growing up in, aren't the best one can have in the start of life. It does well portray what effect the bad combination of surroundings and bad influences can have on an uncertain, depressed young teenage girl. (view spoiler) ...more
Sharon
Detective Sergeant Andrea Lawrence has been handed the case of a missing fourteen year old girl and she cannot help by reflect upon her own past. Andrea's sister vanished years before, never to be spotted again. Sophie Monroe has not been seen since an explosive fight with her stepmother and father more than a week ago. As Detective Sergeant Lawrence digs deeper into the disappearance, it becomes apparent that there is more to the story than meets the eye.

The biggest issue that I had with Behind
Ghada
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
karen roach
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emotionally charged

Really really enjoyed this book and the plot wasn't revealed until the end, well done to the author but it would of been lovely to have found what the detective was looking for I won't say no more because I wouldn't like to spoil the twist for next readers. Good read
Wendy Jakob
I enjoyed this book. Susan Lewis is a good story teller. Of course we never know what goes on behind closed doors and people can be very good at hiding things not only from their loved ones but also from the wider community. It's not a book with a happy ending but real life doesn't always have happy endings.
Adeline Kam
I rate this book at 3 stars only. It is an interesting story, especially the first half of the book. Keeps me turning the pages, so suspensful. But the 2nd half of the book or rather the discovery is quite flat. But overall, i enjoyed reading this book.
Dorothy Fernandez
Great book

Susan Lewis is a great author. She pulls you into a great story that you are unable to put down. It’s a very heartbreaking story of a missing teenaged girl and the investigation pulls you into many different directions but wraps up nicely.
Sylvia sloan
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thirds book is a very moving story

I would totally recommend this book especially if u r travelling as it is very hard to put down compelling reading
Jessica
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Loved it!! Couldn't put it down!!
Whenne Boo
Very touching ending which makes me cry. However, the part before Sophie was found seems rather long winded but then as the author said, that is just the very nature of an investigation.
Saarah Niña
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physically-own, mgath
I loved it. Very good.
Barbara Moher
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this one down. An interesting view of police procedures, heartbreaking story of a missing teenager, a few subplots all tied up neatly at the end. Tears, tears, tears....a good read
Lindsay
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
2.5 stars.
Trish Feeney
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it to my reading buddies.
Louise kirby
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Really enjoyed this, I’ve read other books by this author and loved them. Would defo recommend this and other Susan Lewis books
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Lesser Evil
  • The Accidental Love Letter
  • Windfall
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Born in 1956, in Bristol, my father was a Welsh miner, a poet, an engineer and a thinker. My mother was one of 13 children who, at 20, persuaded my father to spend his bonus on an engagement ring instead of a motorbike. We were a normal, happy, nuclear family, living in a spanking new council house on the outskir

Andee Lawrence Series (5 books)
  • The Girl Who Came Back
  • The Moment She Left (The Detective Andee Lawrence Series Book 3)
  • Hiding in Plain Sight