Start by marking “The Apple Tart of Hope” as Want to Read:
The Apple Tart of Hope

The Apple Tart of Hope

Oscar Dunleavy, who used to make the world's most perfect apple tarts, is missing, presumed dead. No-one seems too surprised, except for Meg, his best friend, and his little brother Stevie. Surrounded by grief and confusion, Meg and Stevie are determined to find out what happened to Oscar, and together they learn about loyalty and friendship and the power of never giving u ...more
Published June 5th 2014 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about The Apple Tart of Hope, please sign up.
Kaya No there isn't, there is a kiss but it's not described in detail, but the subject of suicide is mentioned (nothing graphic though) x
Sydney There are a few look for some during the funeral or something about when oscar saved the man from jumping off the dock.

Start your review of The Apple Tart of Hope
L A i N E Y
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to L A i N E Y by: Aamina
Unique premise especially for YA (though it felt middle grade-ish at times) book: quite light and surprisingly undramatic, especially taking into account the subject it deals with. (view spoiler)

Easy and flowing writing with distinct POVs. Such a great treat to come by books with male characters that actually sound like male.

Oscar Dunleavy, one of the most convincing intelligent, understanding and naive characters I’ve read about. He’s such a straightforward little fellow
Taylor Knight
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This a super quick read that I really enjoyed. I thought it was kind of confusing at first but I really loved the writing style. Even though The Apple Tart of Hope is only 172 pages, I thought it was actually the perfect length. I really liked how all the loose ends were tied up at the end.
I didn't really become emotionally invested in the characters but I did really like them. I thought Oscar and Meg were really cool and even relatable on some levels. My favorite part about this book how the pl
Odette Brethouwer
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Second day of the month, second book from my TBR finished. Yes, I started with the quick and easy reads XD

I've won this book on the Dutch blog Serendipity Books. I was really glad I'd won this book. A while ago, i was looking for books with a male-female friendship in it where there is no love, just friendship (still looking BTW, recommend to me if you know anything!!) and multiple people said they heard great friendshipthings about this book. I was a bit suprised because it is a YA book and usu
Alice (Married To Books)
Trigger Warning: Suicide/mentions of Suicide

The Apple Tart of Hope was a book that was quick, easy to finish in just a single setting but personally could have been a little longer. A young teen Oscar goes missing and is presumed to take his own life. His best friend Meg travels back from New Zealand to Ireland to search for the truth but encounters issues with friendship and life. The title of the book refers back to Oscar's love for baking apple tarts as a way of bringing joy to the world. Thi
Shahirah Loqman
This genre borders between YA & Children and discusses the challenges of being a teenager in terms of bullying and suicide. Sensitive topics that have been generalized thanks to modern YA books. It was rare during my time to find a read about suicidal teenagers, so this was a bit different.

I definitely like the simple, light and easy plot as goes with most YA books. The characters are relatable, especially Oscar, and the book vouches for kindness and loyalty in friendships.

(view spoiler)
Kamalia
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, so much. Its one of those life-changing ones for me. Im almost afraid to openly recommend it because i found it beautiful in a personal way because im able to relate to parts of it from experience. But in general, im not sure if people may enjoy it as much as i truly did, but if they tried to see the beauty of it, they might love this book very, very much. Its a very, very innocent book suitable for all ages. I read it within hours. Quoted a lot of it to Twitter. Will write a r ...more
Andrea Tomé
Jan 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
I may be a terrible person, but cheap and easy positivity doesnt save a novel with poor characterization (only Oscar changes? Sort of? Who are the rest of the characters? Do they have personalities at all?), terrible use of dialogue (you know you have a problem when the teenage beauty queen talks like the heartbroken father and the hopeful old man do), awful writing (exposition may or may not take almost half of the novel) and a bad choice of narrator (for the love of god, if you are going to us ...more
Lindsay
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
‘He wasn’t just my friend. He was kind of magic.’

I previously read and enjoyed Back to Blackbrick, Sarah Moore Fitzgerald’s debut novel, so when I saw she had written a second novel, I was keen to read it, and when I saw the lovely title and the beautiful cover design, I was even more attracted by it.

Oscar and Meg live next door to each other, and have done for years, and they chat to each other through their facing bedroom windows. The pair of them have developed a close friendship, and bright
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
I cannot stop thinking about this book! It is one of the BEST books I have EVER read! If you love John Green, this book will blow your mind. I am sitting here trying to review it and I am afraid my review will not capture the way this book moved me, changed me and both broke my heart and put it back together all at the same time!!!! I have told so many people about this book because I feel like it is an important read...for kids and parents to read together and then discuss.

This book is a coming
Renee
Aug 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary
Oscar Dunleavy could win the award for most annoying and naive character in a book. Seriously if the bad guy was dancing naked in front of him, painted in plum jam singing "I'm the bad guy, I'm the bad guy, I'm the bad guy!" He would probably think he was perfectly friendly and go up and introduce himself and ask if he would like to try a piece of his silly apple tart.
If you want a book that's predictable, silly and just plan annoying. I would recommend this one.
Nazifa
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took so long to read this book not because it sucks but it was very gooood that I had to keep myself from finishing it. I want to savour the moments when I'm reading this book. It was a brilliant book that I think everyone should read it. Was quite an eye-opening book for me as I never thought that how simply an apple tart could project some sort of hope. A hope that keeps you from giving up.
Junnie
Apr 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is really worth reading. It's simple and light and not so cliche to me. My friend recommended it for few times and when i saw it at a book sales,I grabbed it. While reading,i find myself relatable to some parts of it (mostly Oscar.).

Keep hope in your heart :)
Marija Milošević
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Warm and easy to read, at times frustrating because of characters and development. Deals with some serious topics in an accurate way.
Nurhayati Ramlan
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Hallie
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I can't honestly say I read *all* of this, as I started finding it just too awful pretty quickly, so skimmed some bits, skipped a few, went back to see what I was missing for some of the skipped/skimmed parts, and generally read badly. The friendship between Oscar and Meg was lovely (initially), and Oscar's brother Stevie was great, but a lot of times I was just wondering WHY. Taken out of the book, I'd have to characterise some behaviour as pretty evil, really, and yet the upshot for the charac ...more
Wan Rathna
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wonderful read. Love the metaphors, an uplifting book I would say. Nothing too fancy but I love it as it is. Although the transition between two different POVs kinda put me off a little bit coz it was not nicely done, overall plot are very very interesting.

And this book makes me craving for something sweet. An apple tart should be perfect :)
Bella
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book about a year ago but I enjoyed it so much. The name and cover caught my attention and I had to read it! It was such a sweet, deep book about the importance of friendship. But suicide is a part of the book, so I wouldn't recommend it to you if you find this topic depressing. However, I do recommend you read it because it is one of my favourite books ever!
Juuli
I liked the book because it was about friendship, bullying, and teenage suicide thought but it didn't go very deep. I also expected to find the recipe of Oscar's apple tart in the story but it wasn't there. :(
Nor Fatin Nabilah
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Paloma Killealy is a bitch -.-
Soraya
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Apple Tart of Hope is the kind of book that puts a smile on your face, gives those little sparks of joy to your heart and I tell you... my pages smelled just like Apple Tart!
Sabiha Ahmed
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you, for making me realize though hope is very fragile I can still hope, I need hope to keep moving. And it's okay to hope even if it seems like nearly impossible.
Ajita
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Meg returns home to Ireland when her best friend Oscar goes missing. They’ve searched for him but didn’t find him, so everyone believes him to be dead. Everyone except his little brother Stevie. Together Stevie and Meg try to find Oscar. Meg wonders how it’s possible that someone as sweet and loving as her best friend could’ve jumped off the pier. What drove him to do that?

Through flashbacks from both Meg and Oscar’s POV, it is revealed how they lost touch when she moved to Australia and he befr
Adele Broadbent
Meg and Oscar have been best friends since they were in early primary school. But meg’s feelings have begun to change. She’s thinking of Oscar as more than a friend. He’s kind and thoughtful, popular at school, and he bakes the most amazing, almost magical Apple Tarts. He has an uncanny ability to know when someone is down and just might need one of his tasty tarts.

When Meg’s parents tell her they are going to NZ for 6 months for her dad’s work, she is unhappy about leaving Oscar, but they prom
Olivia
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! This story is so powerful I couldn't put it down. I liked it because it had so many cliff hangers! My favorite quote from the book is: "Hope is not destructive. Hope is the thing that keeps you going." I think that this is important to remember especially for Meg, one of the main characters. All throughout the book Meg constantly faces challenges where people have given up hope. Meg comes across all of these people that give up all of their hope right away. But, as soon as the ...more
Lila
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Here is a solid middle grade novel about friendship. Megan and Oscar are neighbors, so close that they can talk to each other from out their windows. Megan realizes as they grow older, that her friendship is much more and writes a heartfelt letter to Oscar, which she never sends. Megan's family moves to New Zealand and her friendship with Oscar takes the form of fewer and fewer emails. Until, until... she and her family receive word that Oscar is missing, presumed dead.

And those apple tarts? The
Sophie Q
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book made me think about friendship and the importance of it when the book said a new girl had come, and she had lied to Oscar about a letter that Meg had written, and because of that it messed things up with Oscar and Meg ( the best friends - Meg had moved away ). The writer is teaching us how important it is to never lie to people because it just hurts them as what they're saying isn't true, and it's not getting them ( being the liar ) anywhere. In my opinion, I think friendship is really ...more
Louisa
Mar 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
It was unbelievable and rather stereotypical, the characters were unrealistic and had no backstory and it was romanticizing suicide.
Saskia Peeters
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Everyone seems to love The Apple Tart of Hope but I didn't, sorry for that. I was expecting more of it, a good plot twist and awesome characters. It feel like Sarah Moore Fitzgerald try to make it too meaningful. Characters are too unrealistic and the story is just weird. I did feel sorry for Oscar.
Oh well, it was a nice book that I've read in maybe three hours or less but it wasn't really fast paced either. Just a thin book.
Hidayah Norezam
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for life motivation ;)) i liked it because it really gave me encouragement & i realize there's something quite similar about meg's friendship with oscar and my friendship with my best friend in a way ...more
Sabrina (sabrinareads_)
This is a really quick read for me. This story holds a strong message of friendship and also delves into the challenges of being a teenager, in terms of bullying and suicide.

I somehow question myself about the genre of the book. One time it is like a children's book and the other it feels like YA mainly because of the theme.

The characters are likeable to me, they bring the usual scenery of what a YA book feels like. There is one character in the book who I feel like strangling, because of how r
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Young Adult bookc...: The apple tart of hope - Sarah Moore Fitzgerald 2 18 Nov 01, 2015 02:36PM

• De pianoman
  • Onverbeterlijk
  • alfabet
  • La canción número 7
  • How Not to Disappear
  • Prim Improper (Prim, #1)
  • Shadow (The Puppy Place, #3)
  • The Phantom Music Box (The Haunted Museum #2)
  • Oscar (The Puppy Place, #30)
  • Piper's First Show (The Puppy Collection #5)
  • Over the River
  • Season of Secrets
  • Picknicks en catwalks (De weddingplanner, #7)
Sarah Moore Fitzgerald was born in New York, grew up in Dublin and lives in Limerick where she works as an academic. As a young child and in early adulthood, she wrote fiction constantly, furtively and under cover of darkness. Eventually, she came out as an author with the completion of her first novel, ‘Back to Blackbrick’. Her second novel, ‘The Apple Tart of Hope’ is due out next summer. She’s ...more