Start by marking “Play It Away: A Workaholic's Cure for Anxiety” as Want to Read:
Play It Away: A Workaholic's Cure for Anxiety

Read Excerpt

Play It Away: A Workaholic's Cure for Anxiety

Do you live in constant fear? Do you worry that something terrible is about to happen? Do you have trouble breathing, relaxing, and sleeping? Do you think you’re losing control, and that you’re going to die?

Are you trapped in your own personal hell, and don’t know how to get out?

I’ve been there, and I know what it’s like. Shallow breathing, tension in the gut, chest pa
Published February 1st 2014 by Hoehn Zone

To ask other readers questions about Play It Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Play It Away

Start your review of Play It Away: A Workaholic's Cure for Anxiety
Rory
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was alright, and some good tips here and there. The central thesis is a good one. It's just very... location specific. He keeps recommending that you go outside to play, how important the sunshine is. Well that's fine... If you don't live in, say, England.

Ideal if you live in California and have the salary to afford foods he recommends. And ability to just change your job, as is one of his recommendations. Myself, I can't just go hop into some ideal job, or just "change projects" like he reco
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Since I'm only giving this 2 stars, I feel like I should start out by saying that I didn't hate this book. It was short, succinct, easy to read, and did have a few nuggets that I found interesting and/or helpful. I am in 100% violent agreement that people should work less and enjoy life more.

That said, I did a TON of eye rolling as I read this. You gave yourself an anxiety disorder because you work too much? I mean, I know there are people who do this and I'm not saying that Hoehn's anxiety wasn
Matthew Turner
How, exactly, should we judge a self-help book?

Did Play it Away actually help with my anxiety? Absolutely. There are some really neat little tricks in here, and I’m quite grateful for some of the advice and stories contained in the text. For those reasons alone, I’ve recommended this book to others. Easy then: ★★★★★

But wait a minute… was this book really just a few interesting little tidbits stretched into a full-length publication? Did this occasionally come across as an attempt to monetize an
Jenni
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*Spoiler alert* This book contains some good material that will be very familiar to anyone who has ever read anything (or even skimmed a blurb) from the self-help or popular psychology genres.

The author simply points out that being a workaholic will eventually result in serious psychological issues, and doing things that are enjoyable will aid in recovery. Thank you for that, Dr Obvious. It's a pleasant enough read, with a lot of humour and some good suggestions, but there's nothing new here.

In
Jackie
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've been a licensed therapist for many years and worked with countless anxiety sufferers who wanted the magic secret to eliminating anxiety without changing any of their destructive habits.

One of my standard questions is "what do you do for fun?" The answer always speaks volumes.

I loved Charlie's story because he makes a point of telling the struggle of feeling driven to work all the time and showed just how that breaks down your physical and emotional state.

No playi
Leticia Supple
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was promoted well, by both the author and by his ex-boss, Tim Ferris. But it's pretty shit. Well, rather, it's pretty shit unless you have extreme anxiety and no ability to get out of your hole. In that case, I imagine it might be useful for you.

But if you want a book about how play is good for you as a grown-up, save your money.

I'm not often that blunt when it comes to books. The truth is, though, that this book would have been better as a newsletter. It's a little bit about the natu
Philippe Vachon-rivard
Superficial at best

Not sure what I was expecting from a Tim Ferris apprentice. Sounds more like a pamphlet from someone trying make money off of a serious common illness with cheap marketing tricks. Do not recommend.
Amanda Van West
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, quick read (finished it in one sitting at a cafe)! It's such a simple but powerful reminder of just how important play is in life, especially when dealing with major anxiety, stress, and/or panic attacks.

Had quite a few, "holy shit that sounds so much like me!" moments in this. I don't think this book will magically unravel years of anxiety and stress-related issues, but I do see it as a very powerful tool.

A standout passage that really resonated with me:

"It took me a long time to see it,
J. Dakar
Nov 04, 2017 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This provided a few tips that would be beneficial to everyone.

"Kid's don't run to get in shape; they run to feel the wind in their face and the grass beneath their feet. Kids don't chat over coffee; they make jokes and play games with their friends. Kids don't network; they bond while they're having fun together. There is no ego. There is no guilt. There is no past to regret, and no future to worry about. They just play."
Peter
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anecdotal advice for how one man reduced stress in his life. Easy read with some practical advice for managing anxiety. Many of the concepts and suggestions seemed random, but the overall premise shows some healthy alternatives to start a person on a path to a content and satisfying life.
Allen Walton
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this read. Only takes about an hour and has lots of actionable material for making me less anxious.

Also cool to read behind the scenes stuff from the guy behind some huge launches (which btw, Charlie, would be a lot of fun someday).
Lorena
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite specific in its advice, which is why I like it. It's a matter of being able to relate to it, which is why it's not recommendable to everyone though. ...more
GagaMil
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The central idea of the book—that people are play-deprived and that bringing more play into your life can help you cure anxiety—was very valuable to me. It made me consider if I play enough, or even at all! For that, I thank the author.

However, the reason I give this book only 2 stars is that the author didn't really add his point of view. He just stumbled upon the idea of play in another book (he says so himself) and never developed it further. Hoehn's book is more of a series of generic lifes
Patricia
Jan 06, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
Philip
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid, quick read with very actionable advice. I didn't try every suggestion the author had but the ones I did act on made a difference, and I think the author would support this approach.

In a nutshell, we are the creators of our own anxious lives and the more we feel we "don't have time" to be playful, the more we perpetuate our own misery. As the book wonderfully puts it near the end, play "isn't an escape from the real world - it's a chance to reconnect with it."

If you work at a job where
Michael MacDonald
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical summary of many important ideas.

This is a layman’s rendition of the important insights of many positive psychology researchers over the years.

I commend the author on his frat boy done good approach to things. Ultimately, I recommend the book for folks who want a quick and dirty overview of the positive psychology movement. Hopefully, it’ll pique your curiosity to dig deeper.

He writes from a position of significant privilege and is honest about it. However there’s no discounting the
Michael
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't thank the author enough for reading this book. I feel like it saved my life a few times.... we all need to read this book. Those of us who are unhappy, ridden with anxiety, focused on work, forgetting what life is really about. The book is a simple easy read, which rejuvenated my mind. And gave me peace. Simple and easy to follow. Ideally necessary reading when sad or anxious and unhappy with life and unsure why. Thank you Charlie. ...more
Julie Schooler
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought I would like this book but I actually LOVED it. Short, conversational, with a lot of warmth and humour, this book tells the story of a workaholic who found play the cure for his anxiety. Filled with great tips and strategies to help busy, stressed out adults to revive their playful side. I also liked that it was jam-packed but short. Made me want to play frisbee golf immediately!
Jonathan Banks
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with some great ideas

I thought this was a really good book with some great ideas. It isn’t so much a reading book for me but was great for skimming through and grabbing ideas - the point of the book is play not study
Zsolt
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it is a great short read. It is going to help you to play more :-)
Patrick Buggy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It doesn't matter if you have anxiety or not. This book is filled with practical tips for living with less stress and more energy.

A quick and enjoyable read.
Rick Martin
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated the authenticity that was discussed throughout the book. Good ideas of how to Play it Away and change up the game of life to stay out of the rut.
Courtney Novak
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast read, well designed. I have read a lot of books about mental health but learned a lot of new tricks. Excited to play more!
Aya
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked alot of the ideas proposed in the book. Its a light fun read
Jessi
Not a lot of new info for anyone who's read a self-help boo. It all boils down to getting rid of the things that anchor you and taking more time to play. A bit simplistic but a good message. ...more
Henrik
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read maybe 7 years ago, If i remember correctly it worked well then when I was like 23 and dealing with some anxiety. Didn't have any black-belt secrets but was well written. ...more
sharon goldsmith
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was a timely reminder as to why play, friends and down time are most important for health and well being.
Taylor Newill
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Inspiring and a little aspirational. Got some good advice
Sanne Hillemans
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short book, easy to read.
Feels like a very long blog post (this is positive). No words that weren’t necessary and a bunch of good tips!
Kevin
Aug 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best thing in here is the advice to ask your friends to go out and play catch instead of meeting at a bar or coffee place. A+ life tip.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • Wealth Beyond Reason: [Handbook] Mastering The Law Of Attraction
  • Law of Attraction: The Science of Attracting More of What You Want and Less of What You Don't
  • The Road to Character
  • The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)
  • Waiting for Godot
  • Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life, The Little Book of Lykke, Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living
  • The Wim Hof Method: Own Your Mind, Master Your Biology, and Activate Your Full Human Potential
  • This Is Water: Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, about Living a Compassionate Life
  • Woodcutters
  • Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art
  • Make Time: How to Focus on What Matters Every Day
  • Can't Even: How Millennials Became the Burnout Generation
  • Countdown 1945: The Extraordinary Story of the 116 Days that Changed the World
  • The Revolutionary Trauma Release Process: Transcend Your Toughest Times
  • The Lost Daughter
  • No Self, No Problem: How Neuropsychology Is Catching Up to Buddhism

News & Interviews

“Kid's don't run to get in shape; they run to feel the wind in their face and the grass beneath their feet. Kids don't chat over coffee; they make jokes and play games with their friends. Kids don't network; they bond while they're having fun together. There is no ego. There is no guilt. There is no past to regret, and no future to worry about. They just play.” 0 likes
“There’s no ‘I’ in anxiety. Wait. Yes there is.
Oh my god oh my god oh my god. — Eliza Bayne”
0 likes