Start by marking “The Big Bang: A Guide to the New Sexual Universe” as Want to Read:
The Big Bang: A Guide to the New Sexual Universe

The Big Bang: A Guide to the New Sexual Universe

The Big Bang, conceived by the entire Nerve staff, was penned by the site's most popular columnists, Emma Taylor and Lorelei Sharkey--along with a team of doctors--and photographed by critically acclaimed photographer Matthew Gunther. Nerve's "Your Week in Sex" column, available on over 30 websites, reaches 30 million viewers each week. The definitive guide to "doing it" F ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about The Big Bang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Bang

Mr. Roboto
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults only
Whether you want to know where your parts are, need to know the rules of bondage, whether you have the clap, or the cost of a Sanrio brand Hello Kitty vibrator (really!), this book will cover it. Has some no-brainer stuff about foreplay and making out no-nos, and reasons why you shouldn't use a dick pump. Pictures and illustrations make this a top-shelf book to keep out of the reach of young'uns. Glad this book exists - you can give it to your next bed buddy if s/he doesn't have a clue. In the n ...more
Myridian
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sex, self-help
I was looking for a book about sex to recommend on mothering dot com and was reminded how good this book is. It talks in a humorous, but direct way about just about every aspect of sex you'd want to know about. The upshot though was I didn't end up posting anything after realizing that they're looking for books that speak from a conservative standpoint which this book definitely does not.
Amanda
Jul 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: textbook, sex
This book is witty, funny, and well-researched - an excellent conversation starter not only between friends, but between partners.
Julia
Mar 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: sex-therapy
When people ask me for a good book on sex, this is always the one I point them to. Witty, informative, and quite cheeky.
Radiolab
Radiolab asked listeners for their sex ed recommendations.

Heather, a Radiolab listener, says, "The book is modern and frank and addresses many topics of concern to a 20-something navigating dating and relationships. A good reference on STDs, and really quite helpful how-to guide (of the 'everything you wanted to know but were too embarrassed to ask' variety)."
Jenifer
Nov 02, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While informative, with correct information, this book uses a lot, and I mean a LOT, of slang and "edgy, hip" verbage to relate to an "edgy, hip" reader. Personally, and maybe this is simply because I've read so many of these types of sex books, I found the writing to be kind of pompous. I felt like the book was trying to emulate the cool kids table in the school cafeteria, and I wasn't one of the cool crowd. There were even times when the slang was so thick, I barely understood the information ...more
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Why You Might Bump This Down On Your TBR: The images all portray the same body types over and over, and most of the models are white (with very few exceptions). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there was any information helpful for trans persons.

Why You Might Bump This Up On Your TBR: If you're looking for a guide about sex, this one is okay. The information is healthy and sex-positive. It's inclusive of same-sex sexual interaction.
Jason
Mar 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults
Fairly large volume. Cheeky and trendy, but with LOTS of good information. Every 10 years or so a book like this is written (more than once a generation). IMHO, this book is the current incarnation in the field pioneered by "The Joy of Sex" (circa 1979).

BTW, The only reason I didn't give it more stars is that an encyclopedic volume like this isn't all flowers and fireworks. It IS a good read, but I'm not going to bring it to the beach w/ me like a Harlequin novel, or Harry Potter.
Bethanne
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I swear I'm not a freak, my therapist had me read this one! It will make you blush, but super eye opening and kinda funny. The authors are witty and straight forward. It will definately make you feel more comfortable in your skin!
Nadia
Feb 26, 2008 added it
Another Valentine's Day gift..and absolutely hilarious and fun to read with a partner.
Tori Porter
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Em & Lo and Nerve, and think this is probably the edgiest comprehensive, straight forward sex guide I've found.
Jeanne
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Sort of modern Joy of Sex.
cathy
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: adults only
A tongue-in-cheek sex manual? Seriously? Yes!
Maggie
Sep 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
My friend wrote this book. It's a great first book!
joycesu
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book!! It is highly informational and interesting to boot.
Corey Holly
Funny and sexy as hell. A must read.
Brenna
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
best sex book. GREAT pictures! good info, and really funny.
Jodi
Frida V
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Good Vibrations Guide to Sex: The Most Complete Sex Manual Ever Written
  • The Ultimate Guide to Cunnilingus: How to Go Down on a Woman and Give Her Exquisite Pleasure
  • Anal Pleasure & Health: A Guide for Men and Women
  • The Clitoral Truth: The Secret World at Your Fingertips
  • InterCourses: An Aphrodisiac Cookbook
  • Come Hither: A Commonsense Guide To Kinky Sex
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
  • Female Ejaculation and the G-Spot: Not Your Mother's Orgasm Book!
  • How to Give Her Absolute Pleasure: Totally Explicit Techniques Every Woman Wants Her Man to Know
  • Big Big Love
  • The New Topping Book
  • Talk Dirty to Me
  • S.E.X.: The All-You-Need-To-Know Progressive Sexuality Guide to Get You Through High School and College
  • Guide to Getting It On!
  • The Seductive Art of Japanese Bondage
  • The Sexual State of the Union
  • Two Knotty Boys Showing You the Ropes: A Step-by-Step, Illustrated Guide for Tying Sensual and Decorative Rope Bondage
  • The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious